HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Series where getting to Game 7 means the other team wins

Old
11-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Series where getting to Game 7 means the other team wins

Which playoff series do you think would have ended differently if the other team could have forced a Game 7?

Denis Potvin in an interview once said that the 1980 Islanders "had" to win Game 6 in overtime because if they go to Philly for Game 7 at the Spectrum he says "good luck with that." I'm not sure Potvin was saying they wouldn't win, because let's face it, its Potvin he would never concede. But it does bring up a decent point. The Islanders were still "chokers" at this time and the Flyers still had some of that Broad Street Bullies mentality with them. There was still an intimidation factor with them. The Islanders did win in Game 1 in overtime and then got stomped the other two games in Philly in that series. It wouldn't have been easy.

Boston I think wins in 1974 if they win Game 6 in Philly. Phil Esposito thinks there would be no chance for the Flyers if they got back to Boston Garden. I think he's right. The Bruins waxed them in Game 5. Beat them in Game 1 and then lost in Game 2 in overtime including a game-tying goal with 30 seconds left from the Flyers. So the one win in Boston was sort of a squeaker. I think at this point I still have to give the Esposito/Orr combo the nod in Game 7. By the way, the Bruins of this era were pretty bad in Game 2s for some reason.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 02:31 PM
GMR

I'd say pretty much anytime a team loses a game 6 on the road, you could argue that had they won, they'd have a huge advantage in game 7. Not just because they'd be at home, but because the other team just blew a game 6 at home with a chance to eliminate someone.

GMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Kirikanoir

Problem with this whole thing is even had the team that won Game 6 lost and played Game 7 on the road it`s not inconceivable that they would win that game. In order to be in position to win the series in Game 6 it means that they have already won at least one game in that other teams building. So if they could do it once then a second win is not so difficult to believe.

Kirikanoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Kyle McMahon

It didn't even reach game 6, but there was big pressure on Edmonton to eliminate the Islanders in game 5 in 1984.

The series was 2-3-2 format that year. If the Oilers had faltered at home in the deciding game they would have had to return to the Island for the next two. They won the opener there 1-0 but got pounded in game 2 and historically had played poor there. The thought in Edmonton seemed to be that if the Oilers couldn't close it out at home they would be in real trouble.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 05:08 PM
PlayTheHockey

The 1999 Stanley Cup Finals.

If Buffalo wins Game 6 in OT to force a Game 7, then Game 7 would have definitely been interesting.

I still think Dallas would have been favoured in a Game 7, since it would have been in Dallas and Dallas was the superior team on-paper.

But, I don't think they were wanting to have to face a prime Hasek in a deciding game. Plus, they would have just experienced a heartbreaking loss in Game 6 in OT with the Stanley Cup in the building.

PlayTheHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 11:35 PM
goawaygary

I think if the Rangers won game 6 in OT in 2012 (especially with the Devs blowing a 2-0 lead) then the Devils would've been dead in game 7.

goawaygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 01:52 AM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

If the Leafs had won Game 6 of the 2002 Eastern Conference Finals, I honestly think they come back and win that series against the Hurricanes.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 11:06 AM
blogofmike

1980 Stanley Cup Finals fits too.

It would have to go back to Philadelphia, but was ended in New York, in overtime, after the Isles got the benefit of an offsides goal.

blogofmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan4Ever View Post
If the Leafs had won Game 6 of the 2002 Eastern Conference Finals, I honestly think they come back and win that series against the Hurricanes.
I thought that too, but the Leafs would be in Carolina for Game 7, not Toronto. So that's hard to say.

Old
11-23-2014, 03:08 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I thought that too, but the Leafs would be in Carolina for Game 7, not Toronto. So that's hard to say.
I know that and I don't think it would have mattered because of these reasons. Toronto had won Games 1 & 5 in their arena and only lost Game 2 in overtime, which is always 50/50 in that situation.

Old
11-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan4Ever View Post
I know that and I don't think it would have mattered because of these reasons. Toronto had won Games 1 & 5 in their arena and only lost Game 2 in overtime, which is always 50/50 in that situation.
I agree Toronto "should" have been the better team that series. I will admit I got ahead of myself a bit when I just as well assumed I'd see a Toronto vs. Detroit/Colorado Cup final. What a blast that would be I thought. Oh, well, let's just get rid of this pesky mosquito called the Hurricanes first.

Old
11-23-2014, 08:13 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
I agree Toronto "should" have been the better team that series. I will admit I got ahead of myself a bit when I just as well assumed I'd see a Toronto vs. Detroit/Colorado Cup final. What a blast that would be I thought. Oh, well, let's just get rid of this pesky mosquito called the Hurricanes first.
To this date I still can't believe the Leafs didn't win that series and honestly it hurts me more than Game 7 against Boston.

Old
11-24-2014, 12:48 AM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

Canucks-Kings 1993

canuckster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2014, 02:21 AM
buffalowing88

Quote:
The Leafs were the better team in that series. Even as a Buffalo fan I found myself rooting for that team in that series. Carolina had no business advancing.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2014, 02:22 AM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckster19 View Post
Canucks-Kings 1993
Good one.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2014, 09:58 AM
RANDOMH3RO

Game 6 in New Jersey in 2001 felt like a must win. Seemed like it would take a miracle to beat Sakic and the Avs in game 7 in Colorado.

RANDOMH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote