HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most HHOF Defencemen on Same Team

Old
11-21-2014, 10:54 PM
Blargh

vCash: 500
Most HHOF Defencemen on Same Team

I was watching NHL Classics Islander vs Capitals Easter Epic game. I noticed that the Capitals had three HHOF dmen playing; Rod Langway, Scott Stevens and Larry Murphy.
What other teams had a trio or more of HHOF dmen? I am thinking Habs in the 70s had Robinson, Savard, Lapointe and Laperriere. I think all Robinson and Laperriere's careers overlapped.
Any others in the modern era?

Blargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Sadekuuro

The '95 Red Wings had an old Fetisov and Howe as well as a young Lidstrom (and Konstantinov).

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2014, 11:11 PM
Big Phil

We didn't know it at the time, but Langway was on the Habs in 1978 onwards with the "big 3". So that's 4.

You're going to have a hard time topping that in the NHL though.

You'd have to really squint to see it on the 1960s Leafs. Horton and Stanley, that's a given. Brewer isn't in there yet, and may never be. Red Kelly was a forward by then, but still, it's close.

You have to move over to international teams for more, if you want to count them. Canada leads in this category:

1976 Canada Cup - Orr, Potvin, Robinson, Savard, Lapointe

That one has the most but it will be tied.

1998 had Bourque, Stevens, MacInnis, Pronger and Blake..........that is for sure, Foote is at best a longshot for #6
2002 had Pronger, Niedermayer, MacInnis, Blake
2010 has Pronger, Niedermayer, Weber, Doughty, Keith.........the last three are projections but pretty darn good ones. I suppose Boyle being the 6th on that team is a longshot
2014 has Keith, Weber, Subban, Doughty............maybe Pietrangelo someday?

So internationally there are several teams with 5.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
You'd have to really squint to see it on the 1960s Leafs.
Really?. Im squinting to understand the rationale for such a statement. Are you kidding me BP?
Do you have any idea how much depth Toronto had on the Blue-Line in the 60's? Ha?

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2014, 11:25 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Really?. Im squinting to understand the rationale for such a statement. Are you kidding me BP?
Do you have any idea how much depth Toronto had on the Blue-Line in the 60's? Ha?
No, I mean you have to squint to see 4 potential HHOF defensemen on that team, just like Montreal of the 1970s. Obviously the only two are Horton and Stanley, but as I was saying Brewer is close, and Kelly was a former defenseman playing forward at that time. I guess it falls under the "close enough" group. Hence, why you need to squint to see 4 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
The '95 Red Wings had an old Fetisov and Howe as well as a young Lidstrom (and Konstantinov).
Actually, now that you mention it............Coffey as well. That's 4 right there on an NHL team. Good call. Vladdy might have had a shot with a full career

Old
11-21-2014, 11:29 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Actually, now that you mention it............Coffey as well. That's 4 right there on an NHL team. Good call. Vladdy might have had a shot with a full career
I don't know how I forgot Coffey He was excellent that year, while the two other old guys were basically veteran depth at that point.

I see Vlad's HHOF grade as incomplete rather than even remotely definitive either way.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 12:17 AM
Killion

Quote:
No, I mean you have to squint to see 4 potential HHOF defensemen on that team.... you need to squint to see 4 of them.
Really eh? You need to squint to see Allan Stanley & Bob Baun, Al Arbour and the depths of that clubs reserves in the minors including Kent Douglas (amongst others) who they jacked around? Are you really a Leafs fan or what? Do you have any idea what your talking about? Carl Brewer? That the best you can come up with?

Old
11-22-2014, 08:09 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Really eh? You need to squint to see Allan Stanley & Bob Baun, Al Arbour and the depths of that clubs reserves in the minors including Kent Douglas (amongst others) who they jacked around? Are you really a Leafs fan or what? Do you have any idea what your talking about? Carl Brewer? That the best you can come up with?
I think its going over your head a bit here Killion. The thread asked for the most HHOF defensemen on the same team. The Leafs had Horton and Stanley for sure. Right? Right. Brewer is on the outside. Kelly had switched over to forward. With a bit of scrambling and "squinting" you can see 4 HHOF defensemen on that team, sort of, but not really. What I was saying is that it is close. Baun and Arbour are not HHOF defensemen. Obviously I know the Leafs great defense in those days but I'm just responding to the thread in question solely about HHOFers.

Old
11-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Killion

Quote:
I think its going over your head a bit here Killion.
... not so much, just ribbin ya around a bit BP.

Old
11-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
... not so much, just ribbin ya around a bit BP.
Alright then, I should understand you by now...................and for the record I would have put Baun in before Boivin into the HHOF.

Old
11-22-2014, 12:45 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

These are the only ones with 4 I can find. Not all these players were in their primes at the same time, however

late 1940s Canadiens: Doug Harvey, Butch Bouchard, Tom Johnson, Ken Reardon

early 1970s Canadiens: Larry Robinson, Jacques Laperriere, Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe (I would have forgotten that Laperriere and Robinson overlapped if it weren't in the OP)

late 1970s Canadiens: Larry Robinson, Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Rod Langway

mid 1990s Red Wings: Nicklas Lidstrom, Paul Coffey, Slava Fetisov, Mark Howe

Some others with 3:

Early 1920s Senators: Sprague Cleghorn, Eddie Gerard, George Boucher, then King Clancy, Eddie Gerard George Boucher

mid 1930s Bruins: Eddie Shore, Dit Clapper, Babe Siebert

late 1940s Red Wings: Red Kelly, Bill Quackenbush, Jack Stewart

mid 1950s Canadiens: Doug Harvey, Butch Bouchard, Tom Johnson (together much longer after Reardon retired)

late 1960s Leafs: Tim Horton, Marcel Pronovost, Allan Stanley

mid 1980s Capitals: Rod Langway, Scott Stevens, Larry Murphy

early 1990s Devils: Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Slava Fetisov

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 04:57 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
And murphy.... wasnt chelios there gor awhile as well

11-23-2014, 05:02 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Also arnt nearly all habs from the 70s are in the hall

jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Dissonance

The 1991-92 Los Angeles Kings had Rob Blake, Larry Robinson, and Paul Coffey all playing together for at least a couple of games.

Between 1999 and 2001, the Red Wings had Nik Lidstrom, Chris Chelios, and Larry Murphy on the backend. Wonder if Sergei Fedorov ever played defense over that span...

Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 02:40 PM
steve141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
Between 1999 and 2001, the Red Wings had Nik Lidstrom, Chris Chelios, and Larry Murphy on the backend. Wonder if Sergei Fedorov ever played defense over that span...
Actually, between the 1992/93 season and the 2000/2001 season, the Red Wings never had less than three HHOF defencemen.

I would guess this causes quite a lot of problems in evaluating the on ice/off ice numbers for any of the players.

steve141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
No. Fedorov played defense in 1997 only.

In 1995 Red Wings had Lidstrom, Fetisov, Coffey, Howe, and Konstantinov. I think this takes the cake. Howe was gone next year, Coffey -- the year after that (replaced by Murphy), Konstantionov -- the year after, and Fetisov -- the year after that (replaced by Chelios).

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote