HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
To be honest I am not sure where to start with that rant, it's all over the place and quite confusing
Quite confusing? Okay, let's try something different. I'll resume what I meant in that post. Don't use stats that doesn't mean a whole lot or that tries to prove a point that was never there to begin with. Price is a good goalie. At best, your stats prooves that. Nothing more. Yet, most people, even the supposed Price haters, would agree with that. What people are discussing is whether he could fit in the great category, be a gamechanging player and elevate his game in due time. That's all. And I mean that because the biggest of Price haters, IF the time to trade him comes, would want to have the moon for him. If they'd think he's awful....they'd ask for a pick. They won't.

Stats don't always tell the whole story. From the supposed great Corsi to whoever stats you want to show. Whether it's good or bad.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:33 PM
zzoo

As bad as last year, I don't remember that we got 4 blow-outs in 5 games like now, did we ?

Old
04-21-2013, 02:38 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
His numbers were fantastic for the team we had last year. We were in last place dude...
On a defensive first team under a defensive minded coach.

.919, .926, .925, .922 --> those are Tomas Vokoun stats under an aweful Florida team under the same defensive minded coach.

Being a last place team because your team can't score a goal to save their life doesn't give more value to defensive stat.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post

.919, .926, .925, .922 --> those are Tomas Vokoun stats under an aweful Florida team under the same defensive minded coach.

Being a last place team because your team can't score a goal to save their life doesn't give more value to defensive stat.
You forgot the Cunneyworth era.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:09 PM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Did you see our team last year??
Our team last year had this shakey goaltending that we hace as of late.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:22 PM
durojean

Last year we had a defensive system that made guys like Patrick Lalime look like legit number 1 goaltender and Price didn 't even cut it.

At least last year once he had given the lead to the other team he'd be more solid which made me call him the best goalie in the year when he's losing by one or two goals ( less pressure on his shoulder ).

By the way Cunneyworth didn't change the system and the defensive approach of the team and that's one of the biggest knock the player had on him at the end of the year.

Price is so much overrated it's not even funny. I would not ship him out for nothing because he still have good value but I'd definitely look at my options to replace him in the future.

Yesterday the game should have been a lot closer even with decent goaltending. His game yesterday was absymal and everyone here is looking for ways to excuse Carey.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:28 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Did you see our team last year??
What's his excuse this year, on this GREAT team?

Carey had one great year out of 5, and is playing his worse on a #2 team.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:29 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
As bad as last year, I don't remember that we got 4 blow-outs in 5 games like now, did we ?
In March we had 5 losses in a row where we lost 3-0, 5-1, 4-1, 3-2, 4-1

Looking back over last year, most of our games were close losses but we couldn't score for ****.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:38 PM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
In March we had 5 losses in a row where we lost 3-0, 5-1, 4-1, 3-2, 4-1

Looking back over last year, most of our games were close losses but we couldn't score for ****.
We couldn't score because we had a system solely focusing on protecting our #1 goalie.

Time is not to bash but to cheer pur team because it needs it and we could definitely play better but... Our goaltending is making the team look worse than they really are.

Yesterday is probably a lost either way... But with decent goaltending it's a 2 or 3 - 1 lost... Pucks were going right threw Carey yesterday.

People saying we looked bad and we were outplayed a lot yesterday are in denial because it was a lot closer then the score make it seems like.

After all we did outshoot them. And I'm pretty sure we had the puck more then them.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Wheeljack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
I would trade price, if it gaves us a top 5 pick this year and a prospect.

I would be willing to pick up a goalie on the market, and just deal with an average goalie. There are quite a bit on the market, and wouldn't be upset to sign emery.

What about a certain named Jonathan Bernier in LA. What the return would be like, if Montreal ever wants t get their hands on Bernier.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Wheeljack

I also heard rumors that Carey Price asked to be traded in the off-season. Do you think he just realized that fans are ruining his career?

Old
04-21-2013, 04:54 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack View Post
I also heard rumors that Carey Price asked to be traded in the off-season. Do you think he just realized that fans are ruining his career?
So he signs a 6 year contract then right after he asks for a trade? Lol gimme a break.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:01 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Quote:
LOL, LOL and..... wait for it..... another LOL.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Eklund.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:15 PM
sandysan

Quote:
What about a certain named Jonathan Bernier in LA. What the return would be like, if Montreal ever wants t get their hands on Bernier.
What about him? He's a perennial backup, we already have one of those in budaj. Going price to bernier trades a known entity for an unknown, which is in my opinion a step backward.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:44 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
The package we got for Halak wasn't that spectacular. Many experts believe that if he was offered to all 29 teams, we would've gotten more than just Eller and Shultz. CP would definitely fetch a 1st and a top 6 or a top prospect.
"experts" believe a lot of things.

Reality: We got more for Halak than anybody gas gotten for a goalie in decades. Pretty spectacular.

When has a goal ever fetched a first and a top six prospect, lol.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:49 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Lol if Price asked for a trade I would want the management to shut him up and tell him **** the fans. He's staying here, no way the fans are running out another great goalie.

Also, Carey Cost* has an asterisk next to his name, what does that mean?

Old
04-21-2013, 05:53 PM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Also, Carey Cost* has an asterisk next to his name, what does that mean?
It means that there is a god afterall.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:54 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine View Post
It means that there is a god afterall.
What does it actually mean? Banned?

Old
04-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post

Dude our team sucked last year, Martin sucked and Cunneyworth was even worse.

As for Vokoun, go look at his stats vs everyone else in his prime. He's probably the most underrated goalie of his generation. He's right there at or near the top for most of his career. I'm not sure what your point is here... he wasn't as good as Vokoun so he wasn't good? How ****ed is that? Seriously man... "Oh look he wasn't as good as Vokoun was!" Get a grip.

Price was great for us last year. Go look at the game threads, most nights he was the only guy worth watching. I'm not sure why you want to try to say that you're unhappy with how he played. If you aren't happy with his season last year with what he had to work with, then you aren't going to be happy no matter what. I know the guy has sucked lately but it's no reason to try to say that he was bad last season. He's going through an awful slump. Maybe his career really is finished and maybe it will be a spectacular fall from grace. But more likely, he'll right himself.

Just chill out.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 04-21-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old
04-21-2013, 07:51 PM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Dude our team sucked last year, Martin sucked and Cunneyworth was even worse.

As for Vokoun, go look at his stats vs everyone else in his prime. He's probably the most underrated goalie of his generation. He's right there at or near the top for most of his career. I'm not sure what your point is here... he wasn't as good as Vokoun so he wasn't good? How ****ed is that? Seriously man... "Oh look he wasn't as good as Vokoun was!" Get a grip.

Price was great for us last year. Go look at the game threads, most nights he was the only guy worth watching. I'm not sure why you want to try to say that you're unhappy with how he played. If you aren't happy with his season last year with what he had to work with, then you aren't going to be happy no matter what. I know the guy has sucked lately but it's no reason to try to say that he was bad last season. He's going through an awful slump. Maybe his career really is finished and maybe it will be a spectacular fall from grace. But more likely, he'll right himself.

Just chill out.
If yo go look at the PGT from last year you'll see I wasn't impress with Carey even last year and that I felt he got a free pass for the team being this bad while he was a big reason for the fact that they actually were that bad.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
If yo go look at the PGT from last year you'll see I wasn't impress with Carey even last year and that I felt he got a free pass for the team being this bad while he was a big reason for the fact that they actually were that bad.
If you look up how many games they lost while scoring one goal or less, you'll be amazed. Goal support was a major flaw last year. You had one line and that was about it. Followed by all the controversy and bad aura in the lockeroom, it's hard to pin the blame of last year's woes on any one player or person. It was a massive cluster**** of a situation.

Price was, by far, the best of the Habs last year. More often than not, he was the only guy showing up as well.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
04-21-2013, 08:02 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I just wish people would stop with the nonsensical comparisons to Roy.
It makes me sick.

Price has been catapulted to Great status and I'm not quite sure why. He has been pretty good considering his age...but if we throw age away...and compare him to other goalies around the league, he is simply "OK". He has good games and very poor ones...yet is "great". I find his lack of focus to be a problem. He also can't forget a bad goal. If things aren't going right he seems to implode. When I heard that he was the front runner for the next Olympics I

I'm a Price fan, but he seriously is overrated. All the excuses for his poor play is astounding.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:11 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It makes me sick.

Price has been catapulted to Great status and I'm not quite sure why. He has been pretty good considering his age...but if we throw age away...and compare him to other goalies around the league, he is simply "OK". He has good games and very poor ones...yet is "great". I find his lack of focus to be a problem. He also can't forget a bad goal. If things aren't going right he seems to implode. When I heard that he was the front runner for the next Olympics I

I'm a Price fan, but he seriously is overrated. All the excuses for his poor play is astounding.
Why fan of a player constantly bashes him?

Old
04-21-2013, 08:20 PM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
If you look up how many games they lost while scoring one goal or less, you'll be amazed. Goal support was a major flaw last year. You had one line and that was about it. Followed by all the controversy and bad aura in the lockeroom, it's hard to pin the blame of last year's woes on any one player or person. It was a massive cluster**** of a situation.

Price was, by far, the best of the Habs last year. More often than not, he was the only guy showing up as well.
But each time his team found a way to give him the lead after 2 period he found a way to lose it allowing a bad goal.

The team was playing actually good at the beginning of the season but they were losing because of untimely a lot of time. It began to affect the confidence of the team and the team became a mess.

A lot like what's happening right now by the way. Last year they had a bad start but they were actually playing not that bad hockey.

And at least I have consistency in what I say and I admit when Carey is playing good hockey. And I can admit when I'm wrong.

I just want Carey to prove me wrong... I'm a habs fan. And if these choke were less frequent I wouldn't talk about them. I guess he just never proved me he was that good and like a lot of you the games I missed in the last 10 years are pretty rare.

Believe it or not... I was pro-Price at the beginning and I had to admit it to myself that he wasn't that good and once I did it I realized that in fact... His value is way bigger than what he really is.

He's the kind of goalie that looks good from a far but when you take a closer look...

Closed Thread