HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse droping in draft rankings again?

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Form and Substance

vCash: 500
Brassard isn't eligible this year. If he adds more bulk and plays less on the perimeter he'll be picked in the first two rounds next year.
What's all this Latendresse bashing? I thought he played fine in the tourney, especially during his overtime goal. Of course, he needs to work on his skating but it's really his acceleration that isn't good, his top speed isn't so bad. If you saw him in the playoffs, you could really tell that he can flat out shine. My only concern is his consistency. Those saying that he has a really bad touch around the net, you really haven't seen him when he's on top of his game. For some reason (barring the u-17), Latendresse seems always to need more conditioning than others and more practice. His upside is enormous especially considering all the knocks against him. I wouldn't hesitate to choose him in the top 10 if I were a GM. Don't forget Dagenais has ZERO stickhandling skills, whereas Latendresse really does have great hands for such a big guy. He also has a very good attitude. give him time and next year he might be at the WJC camp.

Old
04-25-2005, 06:57 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Latendresse superior to Shanahan, Nolan and Ryan at the same stage?
Sorry, but that statement is outrageous.
The way you say it, it sure is!
Quote:
He's not even close to the first two; and people seem to forget how dominant Ryan was as a 17-year-old in the WHL. 50 goals, 110 points, 200 PIMs. Nolan led the OHL in scoring as a 17-year-old, and he had the complete package in junior including the skating skills. There's not a scout on the planet that would say that Latendresse was superior in his draft year to Nolan in any facet of his game. Same goes with Shanahan, who did not have ANYWHERE CLOSE to the same questions concerning his skating ability as Latendresse.
I guess that's directed at me. Having watched all the players named in their draft years, I won't agree that Latendresse is inferior to all of them in the skating department (and skating is all that I was talking about). They were all weak skaters (some in different ways than others). Although I might be missing out in some way by only having seen Latendresse on TV whereas I saw the OHL guys live.

Skating isn't the whole problem here. If Latendresse, with his current skating ability, had Shanahan's shot and timing/positioning, or Nolan's cycling sense and willingness to go anywhere on the ice (or Ryan's junior teams and linemates? ), ALONG WITH all of their hearts, then I could see him being rated as a top-10 pick like them, and people would be ready to overlook the skating issue for now.

BUT... that is a huge order! Since he doesn't have any of those things, then the skating issue becomes more noticeable. Similarly, take all of those things away from Shanahan, Nolan, et al, and suddenly people won't be quite so ready to step up on them in the top-10 either, perhaps.

Old
04-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Two years ago many on the Hab board were hyping Bernier, and I began to think that the Habs might take him if he wasn't already picked beforehand. Well; after lengthy discussions with two pro scouts who cover the Q, I was more convinced that he might not even be drafted in the top 20, let alone the top 10 or 15. Turns out the scouts were right, as usual.
Cool. Jump all over the Shanahan/Nolan/Ryan comparisons and ignore the part about Bernier, then.

Actually, the best thing about knowing the scouts is that there is an opinion from them to support any position you want to take too. Turn over enough stones there, and you'll find somebody who wants Latendresse in the top-10, just as much as you'll find some who don't want him in the 1st round.

Old
04-25-2005, 11:32 AM
kobe

Turnbuckle was bang on on Latendresse. He ain't no where as good as advertised. As for Brassard, he was ok in the tournament but didn't generate anything offensively. He was working hard all the time but didn't make things happen. I wouldn't pick in the 1st two rounds in next year draft.

Old
04-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Poochie_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
I don't like this draft year.. there is no stud on D and not enough solid offensive players exept crobsy.. we should trade or trade down or 1st .. unless we get crosby ...
Ever hear of Jack Johnson? I've heard comparisons to lidstrom except more gritty

Old
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Garp

This is a great Latendresse Bashing!

It was the same thing about Bourdon at the end of the prospect game.

If would have seen Latendresse in the playoff, you wouldn't be saying this.

I don't think he played great, but I don't think he played that bad. And don't forget that they were playing on bigger rinks!

Latendresse reminds me a lot of Iginla at the same age. (I don't say Iginla=Latendresse)

Old
04-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I don't think Latendresse would necessarily have turned the scouts off with his U-18 performance. Certainly early in the series folks were raving about his physical dominance. I don't think he entirely disappeared after that either (he did score the OT goal that won them the silver medal after ***!).

So that said, I think the same scouts who liked Latendresse heading into the tourney probably like him even more right now. His skating may not be great, but there have been highly-hyped prospects with much worse skating. (E.g: Terry Ryan was MUCH worse than Latendresse at the same stage. Ditto Brendan Shanahan and Owen Nolan, IMO).

There will also still be some scouts (and I think some of them must work for CSB!) who still aren't sold on Latendresse. I happen to be in that group myself. So I would person***y be reluctant to take him, despite the fact that we do need a powerforward in the system.

I think he's a legit top-15 pick, but he might only get that ranking from half the teams in the league, and a surprising number of teams will have him ranked surprsingly low too.

If there is a team that would have Latendresse high on their list, it would probably be Boston, for the simple fact that Boston needs a forward like him in their system.

Old
04-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Garp

Quote:
the simple fact that Boston needs a forward like him in their system.
And Montreal too...

Old
04-25-2005, 07:18 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Every team wants a potential top-notch powerforward in its system but you also have to take into account the risks of him not panning out which, IMO, are quite big because of his many shortcomings, notably in terms of skating speed. I won't make too much judgement on him as I have not watched him that often but I have seldom been impressed by him. I remember him crushing some guy silly though.

Old
04-25-2005, 07:48 PM
turnbuckle*

Don't get me wrong on a couple of things - I love when he crunches people, and I also think he's improved his skating since the start of the season. There is certainly room for improvement, and perhaps he could become a 15-goal- 45 point "Power forward" - everybody's a "potential power forward" these days that's over 6-1, plays the wing and can piss in a urinal.

Old
04-25-2005, 09:27 PM
gabpas

Quote:
Two years ago many on the Hab board were hyping Bernier, and I began to think that the Habs might take him if he wasn't already picked beforehand. Well; after lengthy discussions with two pro scouts who cover the Q, I was more convinced that he might not even be drafted in the top 20, let alone the top 10 or 15. Turns out the scouts were right, as usual.
Which Bernier are you referring to? Steve Bernier was drafted 16th overall pretty much where the scouts had him ranked while Marc-Andre Bernier was drafted 60th overall in the second round of the 2003 draft.

Old
04-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Don't get me wrong on a couple of things - I love when he crunches people, and I also think he's improved his skating since the start of the season. There is certainly room for improvement, and perhaps he could become a 15-goal- 45 point "Power forward" - everybody's a "potential power forward" these days that's over 6-1, plays the wing and can piss in a urinal.
Geez, you make The tenderness sound like some big fat slow untalented slob, which he is not I can assure you, he is a VERY gifted slow guy.

Closed Thread