HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shea Weber to Philadelphia

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Shea Weber to Philadelphia

Any chance this gets revisited in the next little while when the trade ban on Weber lifts? Nashville looks like they're going to be in a slight downturn at the very least in the next little while, with any hopes of winning tied to the old core of Rinne/Weber/Suter (MIN) not possible. Philadelphia is never shy to make a big splash and have a stable of young talent they could always dump in order to "accelerate" whatever it is they're building.

Is it feasible that Nashville eventually sends Weber to Philadelphia anyway for a franchise kickstart? If so, what does the deal look like?

Old
04-19-2013, 04:00 PM
TylerSVT*

Couts + Laughton + 2013 1st + 2014 second.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Couts + Laughton + 2013 1st + 2014 second.
Done in a split-second from the Flyers POV. The Predators laugh at it and hangs up the phone.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Any chance this gets revisited in the next little while when the trade ban on Weber lifts? Nashville looks like they're going to be in a slight downturn at the very least in the next little while, with any hopes of winning tied to the old core of Rinne/Weber/Suter (MIN) not possible. Philadelphia is never shy to make a big splash and have a stable of young talent they could always dump in order to "accelerate" whatever it is they're building.

Is it feasible that Nashville eventually sends Weber to Philadelphia anyway for a franchise kickstart? If so, what does the deal look like?
It's been said often, but the Flyer's "poison pill" of $13M signing bonuses in on 7/23/12 & 7/1/13 effectively mean that if the Preds trade him in the off-season (and they can't trade him until something like 7/23/13), they will have paid Weber $27M for 48 games of service. That makes it REALLY difficult to move him at this point in time.

This might be a stupid question, but does anyone know if real $'s instead of cap $'s can be kept in a trade? So if the the Flyers would trade a couple good young players, could they keep a portion of their actual salary $'s in the trade? Example - Flyers sign Couts to a 5 year deal at $5M a year, then trade him to the Preds and then "keep" 50% of the actual salary so NASH would only have to pay him $12.5M over the next 5 years?

Old
04-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Soundgarden

Giroux + Coburn

Or

Couturier + both Schenns + whoever you draft in '13.

Fair to say the Weber to Philly ship has sailed.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:21 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

The dream is over.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Jack de la Hoya

OP isn't a Flyers fan, ASAIK.

The Weber-to-Philly thing is done. It might have made sense last year--and I think the teams could have found a reasonable compromise between what Poile wanted (Schenn, Couturier, Voracek, Meszaros, and Read) and what the Flyers were offering (Read, Meszaros, and two 1sts), but that was before Nashville had to pay two years' worth of signing bonuses.

It just doesn't make sense anymore. The price would be higher than it would be worth.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:28 PM
McTank

Doubt nashville turns down 4 1sts, pays weber half his contract, and then trades him to philly.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
It's been said often, but the Flyer's "poison pill" of $13M signing bonuses in on 7/23/12 & 7/1/13 effectively mean that if the Preds trade him in the off-season (and they can't trade him until something like 7/23/13), they will have paid Weber $27M for 48 games of service. That makes it REALLY difficult to move him at this point in time.

This might be a stupid question, but does anyone know if real $'s instead of cap $'s can be kept in a trade? So if the the Flyers would trade a couple good young players, could they keep a portion of their actual salary $'s in the trade? Example - Flyers sign Couts to a 5 year deal at $5M a year, then trade him to the Preds and then "keep" 50% of the actual salary so NASH would only have to pay him $12.5M over the next 5 years?
don't they go together...wouldn't that be the point of a salary cap...to control $$ spent.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Stephen

Could the Flyers not hypothetically trade a package of 2-3 bodies and a pick or two, and then retain some salary on the players as some kind of goodwill gesture for the poison pill?

I guess economically its a disaster that the Preds paid out all that bonus money, but the flipside is the Preds might be on a major downturn, and could use a franchise kick start with an infusion of youth.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:48 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

I think the Preds will talk to 28 teams before they talk to the Flyers including division rivals. They would have to offer the moon to get Nashville to the table, an even more outlandish offer than Nashville wanted in the first place. As they had to eat 27 million in bonuses.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Could the Flyers not hypothetically trade a package of 2-3 bodies and a pick or two, and then retain some salary on the players as some kind of goodwill gesture for the poison pill?

I guess economically its a disaster that the Preds paid out all that bonus money, but the flipside is the Preds might be on a major downturn, and could use a franchise kick start with an infusion of youth.
The thing is we don't need to have someone retain salary, Weber helps us get to the floor. And we are not a budget team anymore. We new impact players and highly rated prospects, and that's only if he was for trade.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:55 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:

I think Nashville was rumored to want B. Schenn($3.1m) and Couts ($1.3m), as the key players coming back to Nashville. Those are cheap contracts. Nashville's not coming close to getting back the $26m in bonuses, they will have paid out.

It was a very smart move on Polie's part, refusing to cave on the NTC that Weber and his agent pushed for. If Nashville decides to move Weber, Poile's in the driver's seat.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:59 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Wasn't a trade offer from Holmgren vetoed before he fired with the offer sheet? I don't think the offer could get any more enticing than what was offered last summer.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I think Nashville was rumored to want B. Schenn($3.1m) and Couts ($1.3m), as the key players coming back to Nashville. Those are cheap contracts. Nashville's not coming close to getting back the $26m in bonuses, they will have paid out.

It was a very smart move on Polie's part, refusing to cave on the NTC that Weber and his agent pushed for. If Nashville decides to move Weber, Poile's in the driver's seat.
Until Weber comes out and says he won't report to a team unless he agrees to the team trading for him

Old
04-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
OP isn't a Flyers fan, ASAIK.

The Weber-to-Philly thing is done. It might have made sense last year--and I think the teams could have found a reasonable compromise between what Poile wanted (Schenn, Couturier, Voracek, Meszaros, and Read) and what the Flyers were offering (Read, Meszaros, and two 1sts), but that was before Nashville had to pay two years' worth of signing bonuses.

It just doesn't make sense anymore. The price would be higher than it would be worth.

Yep, as much as I like Weber and was all for the OS. I cannot see the Flyers dumping a ton of talent and picks for one player now. With a good draft, players getting healthy,free agents, young talent making the club and some moves. I like the direction this team is heading. Yea it sucks we had a bad season,but in saying that the brass still needs to stay the course with adding to this young talented team.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Until Weber comes out and says he won't report to a team unless he agrees to the team trading for him
Except he doesn't have a NMC or NTC. So, no, he can't do that.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:37 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
So at 27, in the prime of his career and with a valid nhl contract that will keep him from playing in other pro leagues in Europe, Weber's retiring?
Leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table?

That's one of the most ridiculous scenerios. Wishful thinking on the part of fans.
It reminds me of when Nashville matched the offersheet and Weber's agent asked for a NTC, which Poile refused to give..... 'Maybe Weber will refuse to report and force a trade'.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

I'm honestly still shocked they matched and turned down the four 1st rd picks. His contract cripples a small market team like Nashville. What were they thinking?

Old
04-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Bros Pizza View Post
I'm honestly still shocked they matched and turned down the four 1st rd picks. His contract cripples a small market team like Nashville. What were they thinking?
His contract gets us to the floor and we no longer have a self imposed budget. We're thinking Weber's a pred for life. No brainer.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
That four late 1st round picks was a poor return for the face of their franchise?

I think the Flyers made a mistake by not offering Couturier in any of their deals. There was room for reasonable compromise, but as far as I know, the highest the Flyers ever went was Read, Meszaros, and draft picks.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
His contract gets us to the floor and we no longer have a self imposed budget. We're thinking Weber's a pred for life. No brainer.
Yes your a budget team and he takes up a good amount of that. I'm glad you guys didn't match but I think you should have.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Yes your a budget team and he takes up a good amount of that. I'm glad you guys didn't match but I think you should have.
No, we are no longer working with a self-imposed budget. Our offers to Suter and Parise reflect that, not to mention our new owners have said as much.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:10 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I thought I'd read something, about the Preds owners saying they'd spend more.

Will they be a cap ceiling team?

Old
04-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I thought I'd read something, about the Preds owners saying they'd spend more.

Will they be a cap ceiling team?
The plan was to re-sign Suter and give Parise the same amount, I think seven or eight a year. After Minnesota's offer Suter didn't let Poile counter like he said he would.

Closed Thread