HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Bozak commanding over 5 million

Old
04-17-2013, 04:19 AM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downward dog View Post
Bozak is a nice versatile player but when we start talking captain Shawn Horcoff money for him it's a little bit too much.
I see what you did there, and I like it.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:30 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Definitely not what I was getting at. I said "against top defensive matchups" (i.e. against top shut-down forwards and checking lines).

I'm absolutely not arguing that he's the ideal fit for the 1st line, or that I'd want to pay him $5M. That being said, I have no doubt that, with the poor free agent class this year and precedents set by similar UFAs in recent years, that there'd be teams willing to pony up $5M for him...at least on a short-to-medium length contract.
As it stands now though, I'm not sure where the Leafs would find a vast improvement on Bozak. Do they really want to overpay for Ribeiro or Roy and hope that they work out? If they could magically find that #1 centerman, then I'd be perfectly happy with them offering Bozak $3.5-4M as a 2nd/3rd line option who can play on the PP or PK, and then using an amnesty buy-out on Grabovski. And if he turns it down, or Leafs management would rather pay Grabo $5.5M to play on the 3rd line, then that works too.

However, there's no one in this years UFA class that would offer a serious upgrade and who would be worth entering that FA bidding war over and I seriously doubt that the Leafs are going to find a team willing to trade a quality #1 center. More likely, they sign Bozak to a 3-4 year deal and ease Kadri into that top line role.

Additionally, not to say that your source isn't useful (it definitely raises a lot of good points), but it's from February 16th and refers to the last two seasons, when the Leafs were a 22nd and 26th place team respectively. This year, the year that will be most pertinent to any contract talks, the Leafs are sitting in 7th overall and, like it or not, Carlisle has relied on Bozak quite heavily this season in all aspects of the game.
I have doubts, mainly because the cap is going down and I think we have to look at what players were getting a few years ago when the cap was similar to what it will be next year when trying to figure out what new contracts will look like this offseason.

When the cap was around $60 million, Bozak would not get $5 million per year, maybe if the cap was going up to $76 million like it probably would have $5 million wouldn't be a stretch but that isn't the situation the NHL is in.

Instead of a 5% gain in salary cap space there is a 14% reduction in cap space, salaries are going to reflect that and if any GM doesn't figure that out I can't see how they are going to keep their jobs.

That is almost a 20% difference in salary cap space, the players contract will reflect that so I think we can take 20% off of Bozak's desired $5 million right off the top.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:34 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Definitely not what I was getting at. I said "against top defensive matchups" (i.e. against top shut-down forwards and checking lines).

I'm absolutely not arguing that he's the ideal fit for the 1st line, or that I'd want to pay him $5M. That being said, I have no doubt that, with the poor free agent class this year and precedents set by similar UFAs in recent years, that there'd be teams willing to pony up $5M for him...at least on a short-to-medium length contract.

As it stands now though, I'm not sure where the Leafs would find a vast improvement on Bozak. Do they really want to overpay for Ribeiro or Roy and hope that they work out? If they could magically find that #1 centerman, then I'd be perfectly happy with them offering Bozak $3.5-4M as a 2nd/3rd line option who can play on the PP or PK, and then using an amnesty buy-out on Grabovski. And if he turns it down, or Leafs management would rather pay Grabo $5.5M to play on the 3rd line, then that works too.

However, there's no one in this years UFA class that would offer a serious upgrade and who would be worth entering that FA bidding war over and I seriously doubt that the Leafs are going to find a team willing to trade a quality #1 center. More likely, they sign Bozak to a 3-4 year deal and ease Kadri into that top line role.

Additionally, not to say that your source isn't useful (it definitely raises a lot of good points), but it's from February 16th and refers to the last two seasons, when the Leafs were a 22nd and 26th place team respectively. This year, the year that will be most pertinent to any contract talks, the Leafs are sitting in 7th overall and, like it or not, Carlisle has relied on Bozak quite heavily this season in all aspects of the game.
I would absolutely pay Roy, Ribiero or Weiss 5-6.0m (if Weiss can prove he's healthy, I could see him getting 6.5m from someone) before paying Bozak a penny more than 4m. Ideally you can land one of these guys, move Graboski for something useful (not unrealistic), and resign Bozak for less than 4m. As Kadri gets better, you can move Bozak down the lineup.

Roy/Ribero/Weiss
Bozak
Kadri

I'd also be fine with keeping the trio of Grabo, Bozak and Kadri down the middle. But that doesn't mean that Bozak gets a hefty raise. The moment he wants more than 4m, let him walk. Take your chances in FA with one of the more offensive centers, and be thankful you didn't get straddled with a crappy contract. If you don't land one of those centers, run Grabo, Kadri and Colborne until you can find something better.

Last edited by Riptide: 04-17-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:38 AM
The_Chosen_One

^ I would just allow Bozak to walk and ignore all those other overrated centres availabie in the free market. Heck, I'd rather severely overpay for Shea Weber ( if Nashville tanks), but I'm not sure if we'll have enough pieces, though. Point being, we need to a partner for Phaneuf more than a #1C.

PS: I can dream.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:45 AM
JackJ

He's as much a #1 as Matt Stajan was.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:52 AM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Ok suppose he walks....

Then we have a huge problem...we need 2 centers now...no one in FA....

Kessel 1year away from FA and likely no centre for him to play with...
Take your chances on Colborne being a NHL player or look to make a trade in the interim. Toronto has some excellent trade bait they could dangle before vastly overpaying a glorified tweener centre.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:00 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

He says he want 5, Leafs says he'll get 2.5. They'll meet at 3.75-4. Standard negotiation tactics.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:04 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Bozak is a much, much better player, despite not being anything amazing offensively(Like Stajan)

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:32 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I would absolutely pay Roy, Ribiero or Weiss 5-6.0m (if Weiss can prove he's healthy, I could see him getting 6.5m from someone) before paying Bozak a penny more than 4m. Ideally you can land one of these guys, move Graboski for something useful (not unrealistic), and resign Bozak for less than 4m. As Kadri gets better, you can move Bozak down the lineup.

Roy/Ribero/Weiss
Bozak
Kadri
Id be pretty happy if we could get Weiss under a similar contract to Grabo, and then ship Grabo out.

Weiss has a style of play that would actually work with Kessel, unlike Grabo, and he would be a decent upgrade over Bozak. It would then allow Bozak to slide into Grabos current shutdown role, except Bozak also plays on the PK and would get paid less, which is more appropriate.

We would get an upgrade to our top 6, and either a lateral move or upgrade on the shutdown line (I think Bozak could do a better job in that role given his special teams, FO abilities, etc), get something in return for Grabo, and put Grabos capspace to better use.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:26 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

I'd give him 5 if the leafs use a comp buyout on grabovski.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Bozak and Dreger kinda look a like.

The guy is 6'1, somewhat physical and wins a ton of faceoffs while possessing a nice shot, being able to make passes and play well defensively.

On the flip side, Bozak gets to play with Kessel.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Warrior16

4.25-4.5 at the absolute most for me.

Warrior16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:18 AM
TheSilencer

Way too much. The thought of paying ~10 mill/year for Grabo+Bozak is laughable.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I suppose this is my problem, but I really have a hard time not snickering whenever I see Dreger discuss any off-ice issues concerning the Leafs. Shill sensor goes haywire.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:32 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Yep. Anything over 4 and they should let him go. Probably won't miss a beat, maybe at the faceoff dot.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:32 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan
Blackhawk Down

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Likely the same that he's delivered over the past 2 seasons. Somewhere in the 50-point range while being an all-purpose forward on our top line. Maybe a bit more production if Kessel could've become more consistent and buried a couple of the open nets he had at the beginning of the year & if JvR continues to develop.
He's never touched 50 points. Expecting that would certainly be progression

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
Way too much. The thought of paying ~10 mill/year for Grabo+Bozak is laughable.
They wouldn't keep both if that were the case. One would go.

To those saying Kessel and Bozak are best buds and there's a possibility that Kessel would leave as well if Bozak left, Kessel will likely get a raise to about $7m. Also the fact that a team would have to do a trade to get him.

Won't happen in my opinion and I think it's a bit silly to think so.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Anderson55

laughable

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Anderson55

Its funny that some will try to justify this saying that hes good defensively. I wouldnt even call him an average defensive center

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Burke the Legend

David Desharnais got 3.5 million off a 60 point season. Bozak has 10 less points but arguably better "intangibles". I can see him getting 4$ if there's UFA open market bidding in his favour but even that would be a slight overpayment, let alone anything higher.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:03 AM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

vCash: 127
The guy hasn't even cracked fifty points...why should anyone pay more then 3-3.5 for that?

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:09 AM
FlareKnight

Honestly even 3.5 would probably be overpayment, but might be able to live with it. He's good in the faceoff circle and friends with Kessel. He's not all that dangerous on his own and would have horrible stats not playing with a very skilled winger. Wouldn't even be that upset to have him walk.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:20 AM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

I agree with the guy who suggested this is just Nonis floating a big number to his cousin, so when he gets him for less, he'll look like a hero to Leafs fans and media.

arsmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

Bozak has gone full ******.

You never go full ******.

Just A Bit Outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:45 AM
veedubn1

Leafs need to let Bozak walk if this is legit.

Great on faceoffs, defensively responsible... but it's clear he just can't make plays on the level of his linemates and it definitely hurts us at times.

veedubn1 is online now   Reply With Quote