HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bozak commanding over 5 million

Old
04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
palindrom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Edit: Quoted wrong post.
you can replace the quote in the edit.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:03 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Yes, given the circumstance, the Leafs can gamble he won't attract attention on the open market at 5 million or they can cough up the dough. He indeed would be a hometown discount at 4.5 mill per year. I'm not saying he deserves it; I'm saying that's what it looks like the market will pay. If the Leafs sign Bozak, then I think Grabo's days in Toronto are really numbered, for reasons I mention in my previous post.
Maybe we have a different definition of home town discount then. To me, this would be an overpayment especially with the cap going down. I'd say he's worth about $4.0 million per year.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Teeder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Maybe we have a different definition of home town discount then. To me, this would be an overpayment especially with the cap going down. I'd say he's worth about $4.0 million per year.
So do we unless you're saying at most he's worth 4m and he should give us a hometown discount to 3m

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad420 View Post
No he is not anywhere close to being as valuable as Kessel.
Sure, Kessel gets paid more, and will continue to. However, that does not mean he is a more valuable player to the Leafs' success.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:09 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
So do we unless you're saying at most he's worth 4m and he should give us a hometown discount to 3m
Agreed. Except I don't think you'd get him for $3 million. The market has moved and I think that he should get probably around $4 million as a home town discount. If he's asking $5 million I'd let him walk. If someone else wants to pay that then they'll end up regretting it, IMO.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:11 PM
TMLer
#HireJFJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Why should Bozak get paid less than Grobovski? These athletes are competitive, and salary to them certainly matters. Bozak will want (and deserves) to be paid at least as much as Grabovski.
In that aspect you're absolutely right. The problem is Grabovski is overpaid. But that was the decision at the time and now we have to live with it. Just hoping that it doesn't cost the Leafs Bozak.

TMLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Teeder9

Quote:
Sure, Kessel gets paid more, and will continue to. However, that does not mean he is a more valuable player to the Leafs' success.
Tyler, you aren't getting 5m. Go practice or something

Old
04-22-2013, 02:17 PM
MapleLeafs9
HFBoards Sponsor

I find it hard to believe he is asking for $5M+. Won't believe it until it becomes fact.

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLer View Post
In that aspect you're absolutely right. The problem is Grabovski is overpaid. But that was the decision at the time and now we have to live with it. Just hoping that it doesn't cost the Leafs Bozak.
Agreed. Pay Bozak 5 mil and don't let him get to free agency, where another team that needs a proven #1 center (that doesn't have one) makes him an offer he can't refuse. If Grabo can't be traded, then he is a player that should be bought out. That would put the internal Leaf's salary in better order, for their forwards.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Teeder9

Quote:
Agreed. Pay Bozak 5 mil and don't let him get to free agency, where another team that needs a proven #1 center (that doesn't have one) makes him an offer he can't refuse. If Grabo can't be traded, then he is a player that should be bought out. That would put the internal Leaf's salary in better order, for their forwards.
Just for kicks, name the teams with a worse #1 center than the Leafs?

Old
04-22-2013, 02:26 PM
vanwest

I love the argument that the Leafs need to pay him because he is best friends with Kessel.
Best career advice: Make friends with the best player on the team. Profit.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Alflives

Quote:
That's not the point. The point is he is the best center on the Leafs, and should be paid accordingly, so not to lose him.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
What's that going to prove? The Leafs are a top 10 team in the NHL.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Teeder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
What's that going to prove? The Leafs are a top 10 team in the NHL.
Well, for starters it would show which teams are indeed looking for a 5m center, since by virtue of you mentioning their placement in the standing, is at least 20 teams

Old
04-22-2013, 02:56 PM
HockeyFan100

I suppose it's not as bad as ROR. Gettin' paid 6.5Mil next season.

HockeyFan100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:41 PM
kihei

vCash: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Hometown discounts are based on what the player will allow. I certainly have no complaints whatsoever over landing Bozak for 4 mil per year if he's willing, and I agree that is much closer to his "real" worth. That would be a very satisfactory deal for the Leafs for sure. I just think that if he (and his agent) play their cards right, they'll get a half million dollar bigger payday per year than that from the Leafs. I do think that Bozak will be signed by the Leafs before he hits the open market. That will cost a premium, however: basically an added half a mil per year.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:48 PM
htpwn

Quote:
How, exactly, do you see a 40-point centre being a more valuable player than a PPG, 30-goal winger?

Your whole string of posts seem to be a lingering bitterness over how the Luongo situation turned out. It is the only plausible reason why a Canucks fan would be so concerned with the Leafs centre depth, so concerned with re-signing Bozak, and write ridiculous comments such as:

Quote:
Ryan Kesler and Patrice Bergeron get 5mil/yr. Why not Bozak then?
Quote:
Regardless, what do #1 centers get paid on top teams?
Quote:
Agreed, but the Leafs would most likely need to add some sort of NTC to get it done for less than what Grobovski is getting.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Srsly

I doubt there's any truth to this. I've been wrong before but I can't see Bozak getting paid over 3.5 million.

He might be worth 4, but even that's a stretch.

Srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Exactly, and even if time to time they are wrong in their judgement, in average the UFAs who got the greater salary (the one who get the most bidding), usually perform better.

Why is it so hard for people to understand this simple correlation between a player salary and his performance ?
It's a correlation, but that's all it is. There's a saying "Correlation does not imply causation"

That means that just because something is related, doesn't mean it is the cause of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Correlation does not imply causation is a phrase used in science and statistics to emphasize that a correlation between two variables does not necessarily imply that one causes the other.[1][2] Many statistical tests calculate correlation between variables. A few go further and calculate the likelihood of a true causal relationship; examples are the Granger causality test and convergent cross mapping.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correla...mply_causation

04-22-2013, 07:17 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
It's a correlation, but that's all it is. There's a saying "Correlation does not imply causation"

That means that just because something is related, doesn't mean it is the cause of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correla...mply_causation
You mean players get paid for what they accomplish instead of accomplishing things because they get paid?

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:19 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

so everyone will want bozak for over 4.5 mill in UFA but we need to buy out grabo because no one will touch his 5.5 mill contract. some people dont read there argument and just write random crap that dont make any sense. BOZAK SUCKS. if he wants more than 3.5 which is severe overpayment i say let him walk then in mid august when he realizes he is a retard he will be offered 1.5 mill to be a 3rd line center with another team... aka Dominic Moore

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:25 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

My initial thought was that Bozak was crazy. But looking at it more closely, 5 mil isn't too farfetched since you know with almost 100% certainty that UFAs will get a bigger contract then what they're actually worth.

At the end of the day Bozak is great at faceoffs, scored 47 points last year in 73 games (53 point pace) and ~50 point pace this year. He's responsible defensively, isn't soft, and is able to play on whatever line you want.

It's hard to say how much his point totals are inflated due to getting much better opportunities then he would on most other teams. I'd say he's better then "just" a 3rd line centre. I would label him as a 2nd line centre. So...what is a 2nd line centre, who is great at faceoffs, good defensively, doesn't shy away from physicality, and able to slot into the #1 or #3 centre spot worth? 3.5-4 mil is prob where it's at, which basically means 5 mil as a UFA can be had by Bozak and his agent.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:29 PM
crayzy8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeger View Post
https://twitter.com/tsn1050radio/sta...86107372113921

wow. Can't see anyone biting at that price
why????

crayzy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:00 AM
Inconceivable

Quote:
That's not the point. The point is he is the best center on the Leafs, and should be paid accordingly, so not to lose him.
Bozak is not the best center on the leafs. I'd take mcclement and kadri over him any day of the week. He just happens to play with kessel who can create a ton of offence on his own. Bozak doesn't have enough skill to be paid like a star player. I guarantee that if we pay him 5 mil, he's going to end up in the same situation as Grabo. Seriously, he has 27 points this year playing beside kessel. That's kind of ******.

Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:09 AM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

I don't really trust Dreglund when it comes to inside information. This guy only has a job because of connections and just regurgitates others' reports and passes them off as his own.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote