HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Should Ducks Retire Paul Kariya Jersey?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2013, 04:29 PM
  #126
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 37,701
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Paul Kariya was by far my favorite player growing up in the 90's. My idol. A captain, how he isn't viewed as iconic in the Ducks short history is beyond me. This guy brought cachet and status to the organization upon his arrival and him and Selanne formed one of the most formidable duos of an entire decade.
Well, to begin with, the Ducks never accomplished anything with him leading the way. They never got anywhere.

Secondly, the way he left the team. This is the Captain. He publically declares that Anaheim will be back to the Finals the next season, but with different results this time. Then, at the first opportunity, he's gone, taking significantly less money to play in Colorado.

In my opinion, when you retire a player's number, you're honoring their legacy on and off the ice. Yes, Paul Kariya was the face of the franchise, but the impression in the mind of most Anaheim fans is that he betrayed them. That he lied to them. There would certainly be some Anaheim fans who feel he belongs up in the rafters, but are they a majority? How many would cheer? How many would boo?

__________________
You're a curious one, aren't you?
Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:37 PM
  #127
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Well, to begin with, the Ducks never accomplished anything with him leading the way. They never got anywhere.

Secondly, the way he left the team. This is the Captain. He publically declares that Anaheim will be back to the Finals the next season, but with different results this time. Then, at the first opportunity, he's gone, taking significantly less money to play in Colorado.

In my opinion, when you retire a player's number, you're honoring their legacy on and off the ice. Yes, Paul Kariya was the face of the franchise, but the impression in the mind of most Anaheim fans is that he betrayed them. That he lied to them. There would certainly be some Anaheim fans who feel he belongs up in the rafters, but are they a majority? How many would cheer? How many would boo?
How would ducks fans feel about honouring Kariya?

How would they feel about honouring Rucchin and Hebert?

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:48 PM
  #128
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 48,183
vCash: 1020
Man, I had no idea that Ducks fans held Kariya in such contempt. That's a real shame. To me, he WAS the Ducks for roughly the first decade of their existence.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:57 PM
  #129
Starkiller
Registered User
 
Starkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Belleville
Country: Canada
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Man, I had no idea that Ducks fans held Kariya in such contempt. That's a real shame. To me, he WAS the Ducks for roughly the first decade of their existence.
yeah, from what I have gathered there is a mix, but probably most duck fans dislike the idea. I look at it as 2 different eras. the kariya era they the disney owned mighty ducks. however, they haven't been the mighty ducks since 2006, when disney sold the franchise. so technically could of changed the name completely. instead, just decided ducks. so for the mighty ducks franchise kariya will always been known as the face of.

reading interviews from kariya, he was planning on staying with the team at the time of the rally statement he made, that all changed of course when management decided against his asking price.

Starkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:10 PM
  #130
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey
 
mmbt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
I think it's unfair to compare Kariya to other garden variety star players. He would have been the face of any franchise besides the Pens, Philly, Detroit and Colorado. He was a huge draw.
I think from around '99 on, he WAS a garden variety star player; he became a classic case of decent numbers not reflecting his long stretches of invisibility. I think a lot of people who weren't watching the Ducks regularly at that point figured he was the same or close to the same player they saw in '97 when he was deservedly considered a top 5 player, and there was a lot of "poor Kariya stuck on a bad team" going on.

However, IMO if he'd played the same way in a bigger market, he'd have gotten a lot more heat for his play in his later Anaheim tenure instead of drawing sympathy. I mean, look at how Ovechkin's gotten reamed around here for his perceived lack of intensity and dedication. Yet the '99-03 version of Kariya was guilty of much the same thing ... he just got away with it somehow.

I remember seeing him in a game against Stl around 2000, take off on a faceoff to cherry pick while killing a penalty ... but the Blues ended up with possession. He didn't even bother to skate back into the zone when he saw what happened, he actually circled once around center ice hoping for a turnover and leaving his teammates 5 on 3, and they were promptly scored on. If that had been Ovechkin, can you imagine the firestorm he'd have started around here, or how he'd have gotten ripped on Coach's Corner? And that wasn't some isolated play, it was becoming a much more regular occurrence. Heck, it didn't even stop after he left Anaheim ... I remember a similar play of cherrypicking when he was in Nashville, in the playoffs no less, it was ridiculous.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:55 AM
  #131
pbgoalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
Kariya had a big contract on a team that did not spend a ton.
Took a huge discount to "win" somewhere else.

Neither of these things is a bad thing, but a retired jersey
is not just great player.

It's a great piece of a franchise.

Teemu, Jiggy, Scotty are loved.

Kariya was a great player, but as many who dislike him as like him,
while respecting the skills.

I say no, but do NOT have a vote

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:50 PM
  #132
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey
 
mmbt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgoalie View Post
Kariya had a big contract on a team that did not spend a ton.
Took a huge discount to "win" somewhere else.
That was the perception. But for several years, the Ducks were around 6-7th in overall payroll. It's just that Kariya alone made 1/4 of that. In a sense, they didn't have much to spend on anyone else precisely because Kariya was so overpaid, not because the owners were cheap overall.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:50 AM
  #133
girlwithapuck
Registered User
 
girlwithapuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orange, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
NOT. HAPPENING.

I can't see this being a viable or welcome option. If they were going to do it, they'd do it in conjunction with Teemu's -- and that would be because it's the only way a good chunk of fans would even stomach it. To be honest, I think Teemu will be first and Kariya won't get his number retired w/ the Ducks.

girlwithapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:36 AM
  #134
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
I think from around '99 on, he WAS a garden variety star player; he became a classic case of decent numbers not reflecting his long stretches of invisibility. I think a lot of people who weren't watching the Ducks regularly at that point figured he was the same or close to the same player they saw in '97 when he was deservedly considered a top 5 player, and there was a lot of "poor Kariya stuck on a bad team" going on.

However, IMO if he'd played the same way in a bigger market, he'd have gotten a lot more heat for his play in his later Anaheim tenure instead of drawing sympathy. I mean, look at how Ovechkin's gotten reamed around here for his perceived lack of intensity and dedication. Yet the '99-03 version of Kariya was guilty of much the same thing ... he just got away with it somehow.
That's going to be the "bashed in the head not as good anymore" relationship Scott Stevens had going with star forwards.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.