HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Forsberg vs. Ovechkin

View Poll Results: Who was better in their prime?
Ovechkin 120 73.17%
Forsberg 44 26.83%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Reikai
Neutral fan

vCash: 500
Forsberg was an amazing player when healthy but Ovie scored 65 goals and were consistently crushing other players. Its hard not to pick that combination.

But i have to admit, if i had to pick one for a cup run, prime Forsberg or prime Ovechkin, i'd pick Forsberg.

So actually, i dont know, im a bit confused here

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

I love Forsberg, but Ovechkin at his best was/is better than Forsberg at his best. Ovechkin was just an unstoppable goal scoring force.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Oilers93

vCash: 421
Filip Forsberg's in his prime already? But his career just started!

Oilers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Oh here we go with Forsberg's prime again

Ovechkin, not even remotely close.

04-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

I'm shocked at the poll results, I really thought this was going to be close...

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:24 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Ovechkin for sure. His prime was ridiculous

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:58 PM
TAnnala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Taylor View Post
I'm shocked at the poll results, I really thought this was going to be close...
Why? I mean, I think there is a clear separation between these two.
Not a big separation, but clear. The same kind as there is between Crosby and Jagr.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 08:56 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Ovechkin.

04-18-2013, 09:00 AM
wunderpanda

Isn't Ovi still in his prime?

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:23 AM
nTsplnk*

Ovechkin has had the best peak post lockout but Sid hasn't reached his peak. If he stays healthy I highly doubt Ovi's peak is higher than that.

Jagr's peak was higher than Ovis. Hasek's definitely was.

That said, Ovi > Forsberg, not really close imo.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:52 AM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

This is definitely a hard one for me...

The thing is is that Forsberg was a playmaker and Ovi is a sniper.

Foppa wanted to have the puck while other players were hanging off of him so he could pass the puck. But he would also know when to break to the net and shoot.

On the other hand, Ovi is a pure sniper and would be more inclined to shoot than to pass (I am not, however, trying to imply he doesn't pass).

Given the same situation of skating into the zone at high speed, Ovi would most likely use his speed to break to the net while Forsberg would more likely pass it out in the slot for someone else to score.

But then when you take in both of their checking ability and defensive play, checking is pretty even while defensively Foppa has a slight edge.

So, I would have to say that Foppa has a edge over Ovi since he can score just as readily as Ovi when he was needed but his overall play defensively, physically, and offensively I feel is slightly better than Ovi.

But that's just my opinion.

thevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:46 AM
TAnnala

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil View Post
This is definitely a hard one for me...

The thing is is that Forsberg was a playmaker and Ovi is a sniper.

Foppa wanted to have the puck while other players were hanging off of him so he could pass the puck. But he would also know when to break to the net and shoot.

On the other hand, Ovi is a pure sniper and would be more inclined to shoot than to pass (I am not, however, trying to imply he doesn't pass).

Given the same situation of skating into the zone at high speed, Ovi would most likely use his speed to break to the net while Forsberg would more likely pass it out in the slot for someone else to score.

But then when you take in both of their checking ability and defensive play, checking is pretty even while defensively Foppa has a slight edge.

So, I would have to say that Foppa has a edge over Ovi since he can score just as readily as Ovi when he was needed but his overall play defensively, physically, and offensively I feel is slightly better than Ovi.

But that's just my opinion.
Defensively Forsberg was more than slightly better. Physically Ovechkin is more intimitading.

The difference in offense is larger in favor of Ovechkin than it is defensively in favor of Forsberg. I'd say this poll goes for Ovechkin by small but clear margin.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Defensively Forsberg was more than slightly better. Physically Ovechkin is more intimitading.

The difference in offense is larger in favor of Ovechkin than it is defensively in favor of Forsberg. I'd say this poll goes for Ovechkin by small but clear margin.
How? Ovechkins career high in points is 112, and Forsbergs is 116, a pace he scored at 3 times. I understand that Ovechkin is the far better goalscorer and slightly better physically, but at the same time Forsberg was a far better playmaker and way better defensively, which is why I don't see a very big edge to Ovechkin overall, if at all.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:51 AM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
How? Ovechkins career high in points is 112, and Forsbergs is 116, a pace he scored at 3 times. I understand that Ovechkin is the far better goalscorer and slightly better physically, but at the same time Forsberg was a far better playmaker and way better defensively, which is why I don't see a very big edge to Ovechkin overall, if at all.
Because every good player hit 100 points in 1995-96. How many guys hit 100 in today's game?

SkinsFan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Even, IMO. Maybe slightly leaning Ovechkin.

This is coming from a big Ovie fan/former Avs hater (not because of the team/personnel but because the Canucks used to be doormats for the Avs' powerhouse teams).

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:33 PM
newfy

Why are people saying their physical games are comparable? Forsberg would pop you with a good one if he was pissed off but he didnt go looking for it. A few years ago OV was making a bunch of highlight reel hits and it was a huge part of his game.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:36 PM
avsman

Could you imagine them on the ice together? Foppa's playmaking with Ovi's snipping, and their beast physicality.

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
Because every good player hit 100 points in 1995-96. How many guys hit 100 in today's game?
Are you not aware of his 2003 and 2004 seasons? Where he scored at the exact same pace in a league that was lower scoring than today. The goals per game average in 2004 was 5.14, compared to 5.5 and over during Ovechkins prime. I agree Ovechkin is better offensively, but barely.. while there is a huge gap between them on the defensive side.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:07 PM
TAnnala

Quote:
Are you not aware of his 2003 and 2004 seasons? Where he scored at the exact same pace in a league that was lower scoring than today. The goals per game average in 2004 was 5.14, compared to 5.5 and over during Ovechkins prime. I agree Ovechkin is better offensively, but barely.. while there is a huge gap between them on the defensive side.
Well, I based my "difference in offense is bigger than difference in defense" in goalscoring and adjusted stats, point finishes and PPG/GPG.

Ovechkin has his career high adjusted stats at 122 versus Forsberg at 118. The goal scoring difference is huge. Raw and adjusted goals being both more than twice the amount than Forsberg achieved. Adding in the physical play and I remain my stand. Ovechkin by a small but clear margin.

BTW, Ov led the league in PPG and GPG for three straight years. Forsberg led the league in PPG two years in a row but only played 39 games in former of them.
Ovechkin finished 1st, 2nd and 2nd in points in a row while Forsberg finished top-10 once. Albeit that was a 1st.

After this year Ovechkin will have more top-10 point finishes than Forsberg had and he absolutely crushes him in goals.
Three peating the Lindsay award and 2X Hart winner and the difference in offensive side is big enough to overcome the defense.