HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Syckle78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
If this isn't the "same old Lions", they'll dump truck the Cardinals next week.

How soon until Joe Fauria puts either Scheffler or Pettigrew on the unemployed line?
Hopefully Pettigrew. How many costly drops and fumbles has this guy had the past couple years? Seems like he also has a penchant for taking penalties that kills drives. Guy just doesn't seem to have hands or brain to go with his other physical attributes. Yet another wasted early pick by Mayhew and Co.

Old
09-09-2013, 04:58 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Hopefully Pettigrew. How many costly drops and fumbles has this guy had the past couple years? Seems like he also has a penchant for taking penalties that kills drives. Guy just doesn't seem to have hands or brain to go with his other physical attributes. Yet another wasted early pick by Mayhew and Co.
Hes only lost 4 fumbles his entire career, it just seems like lately the timing has been bad and it was magnified last year because of poorly the team did.

Hes still by far the best blocking tight end that will play for the linos and was great in that regard last game. The whole O line blocked great actually. Before this past year Pettigrew was awesome, last year he was pretty bad. This is a contract year, we'll really tell over the course of this season if hes back.

And I think Fauria looks awesome so far for a rookie UDFA. Scheffler and him are similar style so Scheff could be moved to someone like the Pats for a decent return I think

He makes bone headed mistakes at bad times it seems but its hard to argue with whats said in this article, I dont think an UDFA who is more of a big receiver than a blocking tight end can replace all of this http://newsok.com/pro-football-brand...rticle/3872088

Old
09-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Syckle78

I don't think that is correct. I believe he had four fumbles last year alone. At least I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere today. And it's not even so much just the fumbles it's the big time drops and penalties. He had the huge penalty that negated the 4th down conversion yesterday.

It just sucks because he had do much potential coming in when he was drafted and a player fans were incredibly excited about. He was supposed to be our jermichael Finley. Then last year he was terrible and got off to a bad start yesterday. Seems like Stafford may losing confidence in him also. At one point later in the game yesterday on what looked like a designed play where they both rolled right and he was open Stafford double clutched instead of going right to him.

I get he is a great blocker. He was just supposed to be a difference maker on offense a true weapon at the TE position and it hasn't worked out that way. Really hope he can figure it out as it seems more mental than physical. If he does he may price himself out of Detroit though. Cap situation is going to be ugly after this year.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:25 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I couldn't disagree more. Charley was a mini-institution at Tigers games. Whenever I saw people complaining about him, they were usually grumpy, rich a-holes. But they were always the minority, he always had more support than he did detractors. Alas, nothing lasts forever. Farewell, Charley.
I think if you stick around (or are allowed to stick around, rather) long enough, you start to become viewed as an institution, no matter how annoying you are. That's the case with Hot Dog Guy, IMO.

If they'd had a guy that throws dirty diapers onto the field, and they let him do that for 15 years, you'd get some people that thought it was cute and quirky and fun. And you'd get a whole bunch of people who don't want to pay good money to sit near it. Institutions only work when they enhance the experience for some and don't ruin it for anyone. That's where Opera Guy's shtick breaks down. He managed to ruin Tigers games for me from 600 miles away via Extra Innings.

I hadn't heard the thing about him arguing with customers and not letting them have ketchup on their hot dogs. Now that I've heard it, I dislike the guy even more. Teasing, arguing, whatever - I want a hot dog and I want it the way I want it. I'm paying like 8 bucks for this damn hot dog. The balls on this guy, seriously. Could not be happier that he's out.

I hope he lands on his feet - maybe he can be the Happy Birthday guy at Applebee's or something...

Old
09-09-2013, 11:42 PM
Kiddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
If this isn't the "same old Lions", they'll dump truck the Cardinals next week.

How soon until Joe Fauria puts either Scheffler or Pettigrew on the unemployed line?
Lions haven't won in that city in 20 years. Granted it's not as embarrassing as the Lambeau streak simply by way of default because they're not down there every year, but still.

I dunno. Lot of things to like after that game (actually having a run game, Stafford was back on track, O-Line looks solid, Defense looked great other than that first play), but I still see way too much of the same crap that we've bore witness to during the entirety of this coaching regime. Lack of discipline, lack of mental preparedness to start the game... where is the accountability? Suh costs the team a touchdown with yet another boneheaded, selfish play (seriously, why are you low-bridging the 300 pound Center? He's not going to catch anybody), and yet, who's there to call him out? He wasn't even benched.

They probably have more talent this year than any given Lions team in my lifetime, but this coaching staff is still a serious hindrance to them moving forward. They might be able to get away with this kind of stuff against bad/average teams, but they still have a lot to straighten out. Breaking that streak in Phoenix would be a good start though.

Old
09-10-2013, 02:35 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I think if you stick around (or are allowed to stick around, rather) long enough, you start to become viewed as an institution, no matter how annoying you are. That's the case with Hot Dog Guy, IMO.

If they'd had a guy that throws dirty diapers onto the field, and they let him do that for 15 years, you'd get some people that thought it was cute and quirky and fun. And you'd get a whole bunch of people who don't want to pay good money to sit near it.
That's my point, the people who would like dirty diaper doofus would be the minority, just like the people who complained about Charley were the minority. Fan minority groups don't define institutions, so dirty diaper dork is not a good example.

Quote:
Institutions only work when they enhance the experience for some and don't ruin it for anyone.
Nah, institutions work when a majority values them. Nothing, no matter how great, is loved by everyone. There were actually people who didn't like Ernie Harwell. I met one once.

Quote:
That's where Opera Guy's shtick breaks down. He managed to ruin Tigers games for me from 600 miles away via Extra Innings.
He literally ruins Tigers games for you? Even though he sings, what, 5, 10 minutes a game? I mean, if you were talking about the idiot drummer in Cleveland, I might understand. Or Hawk Harrelson in Chicago, I would definitely understand (he manages to ruin Tigers games, baseball in general, my sanity temporarily, and my voicebox at times; quite an overachiever). But one-half-inning-per-game Charley? Hm.

Quote:
I hadn't heard the thing about him arguing with customers and not letting them have ketchup on their hot dogs. Now that I've heard it, I dislike the guy even more. Teasing, arguing, whatever - I want a hot dog and I want it the way I want it. I'm paying like 8 bucks for this damn hot dog. The balls on this guy, seriously. Could not be happier that he's out.
The ketchup thing is my favorite part about Charley. If you want ketchup on your dog, go get it yourself, you disgusting hobo. And I hope you drop your dog on the way Really, ketchup on a dog should be a crime.

Also, if you're paying $8 for a dog, someone is hoodwinking you

Old
09-10-2013, 10:27 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Nah, institutions work when a majority values them. Nothing, no matter how great, is loved by everyone. There were actually people who didn't like Ernie Harwell. I met one once.
I don't know what kind of foul, soulless creature could not like Ernie, but even if someone were to find him not to be their cup of tea, I doubt he would anger anyone the way Hot Dog Guy angers me.

Quote:
He literally ruins Tigers games for you? Even though he sings, what, 5, 10 minutes a game? I mean, if you were talking about the idiot drummer in Cleveland, I might understand. Or Hawk Harrelson in Chicago, I would definitely understand (he manages to ruin Tigers games, baseball in general, my sanity temporarily, and my voicebox at times; quite an overachiever). But one-half-inning-per-game Charley? Hm.
I hear him two or three times a game and it literally makes my skin crawl. Uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuuhuuhuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhtttttttt Duuuuuuuugggggs.....ug, it just goes on and on....just thinking about it is ruining my HF posting experience right now.

Although I will say nothing in all of sports (not even Gary Thorne or Mike Emrick or those godawful Blues broadcasters) irritates me as much as Hawk Harrelson. The only upside is that the Sox are so bad this year, you can almost hear Hawk's tears pittering onto his losing score card. You can tell that his night is totally ruined if the Sox lose, which makes me happy.

Quote:
The ketchup thing is my favorite part about Charley. If you want ketchup on your dog, go get it yourself, you disgusting hobo. And I hope you drop your dog on the way Really, ketchup on a dog should be a crime.

Also, if you're paying $8 for a dog, someone is hoodwinking you
Well I don't buy hot dogs from vendors anyway, for the most part - I go and get them so I can put my own stuff on them and get a ginger ale or three on my way. That's part of the problem for me - I don't really like dealing with the non-obnoxious hot dog guys. And certainly ain't nobody got time for obnoxious persona hot dog guys who don't want to give me my damn ketchup. I like ketchup, and I like mustard, and I use both. Deal with it.

Old
09-10-2013, 11:14 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Fair enough

Old
09-18-2013, 06:31 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Why is Tuiasosopo playing LF over Castellanos? Might as well just kept him in the minors.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Why is Tuiasosopo playing LF over Castellanos? Might as well just kept him in the minors.
Babcock's fault.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:28 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
Babcock's fault.
Nope. Holland's.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:20 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

MSU getting cheated big time in this game.

Old
09-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
MSU getting cheated big time in this game.
A couple bad calls, but they sure as heck didn't do themselves any favors on that final drive.

Old
09-21-2013, 06:57 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
A couple bad calls, but they sure as heck didn't do themselves any favors on that final drive.
True, but you basically have every ND scoring drive aided by a phantom pass interference call. Only two of the five were close to legitimate.

My God that offense is atrocious though.

Old
09-21-2013, 07:24 PM
sarcastro

Don't know why the Sparties didn't try throwing some long bombs themselves. Would have been tough for the refs to keep the flags put away if there had been any contact, with the way they were calling things the other way.

Really too bad the Sparties don't have an offense to speak of. That defense is legit.

Old
09-21-2013, 07:45 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Sparty's non-offense is almost by design since he hired the guy who made OSU's offense crap to make his own offense crap. Maybe he thinks it makes his defense look even better and he can jet off to a NFL defensive coordinator job in the near future.

Old
09-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Bring Godard Back

Devin Gardner is looking terrible, and the O-line as well. Jack Miller sucks.

Old
09-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Wow.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Syckle78

Tie game bottom of the ninth after trailing 6-0 to start the inning. Bases loaded two out prince at the plate... ground out,blah.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Go Blue, what a great team!

Old
09-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
yay!

Old
09-21-2013, 11:39 PM
aidenkael

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuick View Post
Extra innings in baseball put me to sleep. They should follow in suit of the NHL and add a shootout style gimmick to end games.

Rapid fire home run derby?
THIS. And we can bring out a celeb pitcher for it.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:34 PM
sarcastro

Miggy needs to sit.

He should have been sitting the entire month of September. Now we have to watch him gimp around in the playoffs, getting thrown out at 2nd on easy doubles into the gap, and watching every team bunt down the 3rd base line 40 times a game on wet October grass because the dude has no chance to get there.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Roy S

Rest hasn't done him well either. His injury probably requires surgery to fix it and he's just electing to play through it and have the surgery in the off season rather than undergo a procedure that would end his season.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Last I read was that Miggy's injury is not going to get worse if he plays, and would take a couple of months to properly heal. So, it's either play him and get what you can or sit him and not have him heal up anyway. Maybe if the Indians weren't having their freak year Miggy would have been sat down when the injury first popped up,or maybe if Peralta hadn't missed 50 games for PEDS we could have worked around sitting Miggy. Our world series chances are taking a major hit with Cabrera hurt, though.