HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2014, 09:29 PM
  #951
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Not enthused about the Tigers' bullpen. With so many decent-to-very-good bullpen arms out there and the prices at rock-bottom, I just can't imagine why they wouldn't add one. K-Rod would be a great add. Neshek or Ayala would be helpful too.

This seems to be Dombrowski's achilles heel - wasting $150 million rosters by trying to save $3 mil on the bullpen. Foolish.
I'd be happy with Fernando Rodney. Or throwing bigger money at Ryan Madson for a year. We have to be a better option than the Mets for these guys, even if they don't get to close. Give them a bit of a payday for a year, a legit shot at a series, and then hit the market again next year.

__________________
RIP David
Winger98 is online now  
Old
02-07-2014, 08:12 PM
  #952
The Nose
#thefuture
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 7,810
vCash: 500
KRod signed for less than $3M. Seriously wondering what Dombrowski is thinking about this bullpen.

The Nose is offline  
Old
02-08-2014, 07:48 AM
  #953
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I'd be happy with Fernando Rodney. Or throwing bigger money at Ryan Madson for a year. We have to be a better option than the Mets for these guys, even if they don't get to close. Give them a bit of a payday for a year, a legit shot at a series, and then hit the market again next year.
I guarantee you, you won't have to overpay to get Ryan Madson. Anyone who spends even a single year due to Tommy John Surgery will not get paid a huge amount of money or more than 2 years. Madson will get a 1yr, $1m major league deal tops. Teams simply don't risk years or money on pitchers coming back from injuries.

JmanWingsFan is offline  
Old
02-08-2014, 08:30 AM
  #954
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I guarantee you, you won't have to overpay to get Ryan Madson. Anyone who spends even a single year due to Tommy John Surgery will not get paid a huge amount of money or more than 2 years. Madson will get a 1yr, $1m major league deal tops. Teams simply don't risk years or money on pitchers coming back from injuries.
If that's all it takes, bring him to camp. Rather take a flier on Madson than lean on Putkonen.

Winger98 is online now  
Old
02-08-2014, 08:06 PM
  #955
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I'd be happy with Fernando Rodney. Or throwing bigger money at Ryan Madson for a year. We have to be a better option than the Mets for these guys, even if they don't get to close. Give them a bit of a payday for a year, a legit shot at a series, and then hit the market again next year.
Rodney wouldn't have wanted to come here to work the 7th and occasionally the 8th, even for the same money. I don't have a problem leaving him alone. Madson is worth a flier, as are Bailey, Hanrahan, etc. They were talking about re-signing Dotel possibly, if he doesn't retire. If you're going to sign a risky guy, better those guys than Dotel.

Or they could sign them all, that would be even better. You never know how the bullpen is going to shake out and bullpen arms are extremely volatile from year to year. The best way to attack the problem is with volume, and these guys are all going to sign minor league deals or cheap major league deals with some incentives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
KRod signed for less than $3M. Seriously wondering what Dombrowski is thinking about this bullpen.
I'd rather have him than the Hutt, that's for sure. Especially for the same money...

sarcastro is offline  
Old
02-08-2014, 10:03 PM
  #956
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,625
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Rodney wouldn't have wanted to come here to work the 7th and occasionally the 8th, even for the same money. I don't have a problem leaving him alone. Madson is worth a flier, as are Bailey, Hanrahan, etc. They were talking about re-signing Dotel possibly, if he doesn't retire. If you're going to sign a risky guy, better those guys than Dotel.

Or they could sign them all, that would be even better. You never know how the bullpen is going to shake out and bullpen arms are extremely volatile from year to year. The best way to attack the problem is with volume, and these guys are all going to sign minor league deals or cheap major league deals with some incentives.
Considering how the pen has been a problem, I'm not sure why they don't go after some of these guys. They've already invested something like $160 million into next season's team, blow another $5-10 million on more quality bullpen options for a year. If the team crashes and burns for $160m, it won't make a whole lot of difference if they spent $170m.

Instead, we're hoping Joba resurrects himself. We're hoping Rondon lives up to his promise. We're hoping that kid we got from Washington comes through. We're hoping Putkonen doesn't suck. We're hoping Alburquerque doesn't blow out his elbow again. We're hoping Crosby transitions well to the pen. Right now we have Joe Nathan and a whole lotta hope.

Winger98 is online now  
Old
02-09-2014, 11:03 AM
  #957
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 201,911
vCash: 500
@WojYahooNBA 11:57 AM
The Detroit Pistons have fired coach Mo Cheeks, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Mike Emrick is offline  
Old
02-10-2014, 05:22 AM
  #958
silkyjohnson50*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,183
vCash: 500
Brad Ausmus is now the 2nd most tenured Detroit coach after Babcock lol.

silkyjohnson50* is offline  
Old
02-10-2014, 06:18 AM
  #959
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,802
vCash: 500
How the heck does Joe Dumars still have a job?! Truly staggering.

He just sent his EIGHTH coach packing today. Yet he survives time after time.

Filppula is offline  
Old
02-10-2014, 12:24 PM
  #960
Konnan511
#FreePulu
 
Konnan511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Traverse City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,579
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Brad Ausmus is now the 2nd most tenured Detroit coach after Babcock lol.
Alright, I laughed hahah. I'm putting this on Facebook, hope you don't mind.

Konnan511 is offline  
Old
02-10-2014, 12:43 PM
  #961
Ricelund
We like our team.
 
Ricelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,196
vCash: 500
So... Dumars has fired eight coaches in 14 seasons as GM. Insane. Absolutely insane.

Not only that, but the players found out about Cheeks yesterday via Twitter. What a horribly run organization.

Ricelund is offline  
Old
02-10-2014, 12:54 PM
  #962
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,198
vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post
So... Dumars has fired eight coaches in 14 seasons as GM. Insane. Absolutely insane.

Not only that, but the players found out about Cheeks yesterday via Twitter. What a horribly run organization.
At some point you have to start looking at the GM, and I think that time was a while ago for the Pistons.

SoupNazi is offline  
Old
02-10-2014, 02:00 PM
  #963
Konnan511
#FreePulu
 
Konnan511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Traverse City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,579
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
To be fair for Joe D, he did have like 7 straight ECF and about half the hiring and firings have been directly done by the owner.

Konnan511 is offline  
Old
02-20-2014, 11:55 AM
  #964
jaster
I pay off the mods.
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,396
vCash: 500
Baseball junkies..... who has used/has input on MLB.TV? I've always had Extra Innings, but the price these days is just outrageous. Looks like MLB.TV is only about half the price. I'm sure there is a slight drop in picture quality, but any other drawbacks relative to Extra Innings? Is there any real reason to keep Extra Innings?

EDIT: Oh, is there an on-demand feature? Can I watch games from the beginning that have already started? Or watch them after they have completed altogether?

jaster is offline  
Old
02-20-2014, 12:46 PM
  #965
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Baseball junkies..... who has used/has input on MLB.TV? I've always had Extra Innings, but the price these days is just outrageous. Looks like MLB.TV is only about half the price. I'm sure there is a slight drop in picture quality, but any other drawbacks relative to Extra Innings? Is there any real reason to keep Extra Innings?

EDIT: Oh, is there an on-demand feature? Can I watch games from the beginning that have already started? Or watch them after they have completed altogether?
I think MLB.TV is basically the same thing as Extra Innings. You can't watch your local teams, but you can watch any game at any time on any of the two broadcasts, except for the draconian blackouts on Saturdays. You can watch any game played since 2009 as well, IINM.

JmanWingsFan is offline  
Old
02-21-2014, 09:14 PM
  #966
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,405
vCash: 500
I used MLB.TV a few years back. The best thing going for it is (or used to be, anyway) that they don't impose a limit on concurrent sign-ons, so you could theoretically share with several people. They might have fixed that since, though.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
02-22-2014, 07:24 AM
  #967
Shoalzie
Registered User
 
Shoalzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 14,454
vCash: 500
I'd love to watch more baseball than what's on cable but with the Tigers basically playing every day and all their games are on TV...I'm satisfied with extra games we get on ESPN, FOX and TBS. I can't get MLBN through my provider...Baseball Tonight is back to being my preferred highlight show.

Shoalzie is offline  
Old
02-22-2014, 07:27 AM
  #968
Shoalzie
Registered User
 
Shoalzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 14,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
To be fair for Joe D, he did have like 7 straight ECF and about half the hiring and firings have been directly done by the owner.

I can't see Joe surviving if they miss the playoffs again. The indicator that Joe is in trouble is that they're just using a former assistant as the interim. He's not going to get to hire the next coach this summer unless the make the playoffs.

Shoalzie is offline  
Old
02-22-2014, 10:06 PM
  #969
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,405
vCash: 500
Meh, that seems like we're close enough to 1000. With spring training coming up, I'll go ahead and make the new thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1609771

sarcastro is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.