HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Not enthused about the Tigers' bullpen. With so many decent-to-very-good bullpen arms out there and the prices at rock-bottom, I just can't imagine why they wouldn't add one. K-Rod would be a great add. Neshek or Ayala would be helpful too.

This seems to be Dombrowski's achilles heel - wasting $150 million rosters by trying to save $3 mil on the bullpen. Foolish.
I'd be happy with Fernando Rodney. Or throwing bigger money at Ryan Madson for a year. We have to be a better option than the Mets for these guys, even if they don't get to close. Give them a bit of a payday for a year, a legit shot at a series, and then hit the market again next year.

02-07-2014, 08:12 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

KRod signed for less than $3M. Seriously wondering what Dombrowski is thinking about this bullpen.

Old
02-08-2014, 07:48 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I'd be happy with Fernando Rodney. Or throwing bigger money at Ryan Madson for a year. We have to be a better option than the Mets for these guys, even if they don't get to close. Give them a bit of a payday for a year, a legit shot at a series, and then hit the market again next year.
I guarantee you, you won't have to overpay to get Ryan Madson. Anyone who spends even a single year due to Tommy John Surgery will not get paid a huge amount of money or more than 2 years. Madson will get a 1yr, $1m major league deal tops. Teams simply don't risk years or money on pitchers coming back from injuries.

Old
02-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I guarantee you, you won't have to overpay to get Ryan Madson. Anyone who spends even a single year due to Tommy John Surgery will not get paid a huge amount of money or more than 2 years. Madson will get a 1yr, $1m major league deal tops. Teams simply don't risk years or money on pitchers coming back from injuries.
If that's all it takes, bring him to camp. Rather take a flier on Madson than lean on Putkonen.

Old
02-08-2014, 08:06 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Rodney wouldn't have wanted to come here to work the 7th and occasionally the 8th, even for the same money. I don't have a problem leaving him alone. Madson is worth a flier, as are Bailey, Hanrahan, etc. They were talking about re-signing Dotel possibly, if he doesn't retire. If you're going to sign a risky guy, better those guys than Dotel.

Or they could sign them all, that would be even better. You never know how the bullpen is going to shake out and bullpen arms are extremely volatile from year to year. The best way to attack the problem is with volume, and these guys are all going to sign minor league deals or cheap major league deals with some incentives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
KRod signed for less than $3M. Seriously wondering what Dombrowski is thinking about this bullpen.
I'd rather have him than the Hutt, that's for sure. Especially for the same money...

Old
02-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Rodney wouldn't have wanted to come here to work the 7th and occasionally the 8th, even for the same money. I don't have a problem leaving him alone. Madson is worth a flier, as are Bailey, Hanrahan, etc. They were talking about re-signing Dotel possibly, if he doesn't retire. If you're going to sign a risky guy, better those guys than Dotel.

Or they could sign them all, that would be even better. You never know how the bullpen is going to shake out and bullpen arms are extremely volatile from year to year. The best way to attack the problem is with volume, and these guys are all going to sign minor league deals or cheap major league deals with some incentives.
Considering how the pen has been a problem, I'm not sure why they don't go after some of these guys. They've already invested something like $160 million into next season's team, blow another $5-10 million on more quality bullpen options for a year. If the team crashes and burns for $160m, it won't make a whole lot of difference if they spent $170m.

Instead, we're hoping Joba resurrects himself. We're hoping Rondon lives up to his promise. We're hoping that kid we got from Washington comes through. We're hoping Putkonen doesn't suck. We're hoping Alburquerque doesn't blow out his elbow again. We're hoping Crosby transitions well to the pen. Right now we have Joe Nathan and a whole lotta hope.

Old
02-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

@WojYahooNBA 11:57 AM
The Detroit Pistons have fired coach Mo Cheeks, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Old
02-10-2014, 05:22 AM
silkyjohnson50*

Brad Ausmus is now the 2nd most tenured Detroit coach after Babcock lol.

Old
02-10-2014, 06:18 AM
Filppula
Jurks

How the heck does Joe Dumars still have a job?! Truly staggering.

He just sent his EIGHTH coach packing today. Yet he survives time after time.

Old
02-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Brad Ausmus is now the 2nd most tenured Detroit coach after Babcock lol.
Alright, I laughed hahah. I'm putting this on Facebook, hope you don't mind.

Old
02-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

So... Dumars has fired eight coaches in 14 seasons as GM. Insane. Absolutely insane.

Not only that, but the players found out about Cheeks yesterday via Twitter. What a horribly run organization.

Old
02-10-2014, 12:54 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post
So... Dumars has fired eight coaches in 14 seasons as GM. Insane. Absolutely insane.

Not only that, but the players found out about Cheeks yesterday via Twitter. What a horribly run organization.
At some point you have to start looking at the GM, and I think that time was a while ago for the Pistons.

Old
02-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
To be fair for Joe D, he did have like 7 straight ECF and about half the hiring and firings have been directly done by the owner.

Old
02-20-2014, 11:55 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Baseball junkies..... who has used/has input on MLB.TV? I've always had Extra Innings, but the price these days is just outrageous. Looks like MLB.TV is only about half the price. I'm sure there is a slight drop in picture quality, but any other drawbacks relative to Extra Innings? Is there any real reason to keep Extra Innings?

EDIT: Oh, is there an on-demand feature? Can I watch games from the beginning that have already started? Or watch them after they have completed altogether?

Old
02-20-2014, 12:46 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Baseball junkies..... who has used/has input on MLB.TV? I've always had Extra Innings, but the price these days is just outrageous. Looks like MLB.TV is only about half the price. I'm sure there is a slight drop in picture quality, but any other drawbacks relative to Extra Innings? Is there any real reason to keep Extra Innings?

EDIT: Oh, is there an on-demand feature? Can I watch games from the beginning that have already started? Or watch them after they have completed altogether?
I think MLB.TV is basically the same thing as Extra Innings. You can't watch your local teams, but you can watch any game at any time on any of the two broadcasts, except for the draconian blackouts on Saturdays. You can watch any game played since 2009 as well, IINM.

Old
02-21-2014, 09:14 PM
sarcastro

I used MLB.TV a few years back. The best thing going for it is (or used to be, anyway) that they don't impose a limit on concurrent sign-ons, so you could theoretically share with several people. They might have fixed that since, though.

Old
02-22-2014, 07:24 AM
Shoalzie

I'd love to watch more baseball than what's on cable but with the Tigers basically playing every day and all their games are on TV...I'm satisfied with extra games we get on ESPN, FOX and TBS. I can't get MLBN through my provider...Baseball Tonight is back to being my preferred highlight show.

Old
02-22-2014, 07:27 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
To be fair for Joe D, he did have like 7 straight ECF and about half the hiring and firings have been directly done by the owner.

I can't see Joe surviving if they miss the playoffs again. The indicator that Joe is in trouble is that they're just using a former assistant as the interim. He's not going to get to hire the next coach this summer unless the make the playoffs.

Old
02-22-2014, 10:06 PM
sarcastro

Meh, that seems like we're close enough to 1000. With spring training coming up, I'll go ahead and make the new thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1609771

Closed Thread