HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
can we just not pitch Porcello ever again against the Angels.

And part of me wants to worry about Verlander and part of me just says it is a down year. And a down year appears to still be worth +4 WAR and nearly 200 innings with an ERA under 4.

06-25-2013, 09:13 PM
ricky0034

i'm not big on analyzing these kinds of things but seems more like luck than anything else to me

his strikeouts and walks are both up a bit this year and his fastball velocity is down 1 mile but the biggest difference seems to be the .347 BABIP he has this year

he actually has a slightly better FIP and xFIP this year than he had last year

Old
06-27-2013, 02:17 PM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Do you guys care about basketball or is this a Tigers only thread?

I ask because I'm trying to figure out if I'm supposed to be hoping Trey Burke slips to the Pistons tonight or praying to the heavens that someone else takes him so we don't completely destroy his life.

Super conflicted.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsballChic View Post

I ask because I'm trying to figure out if I'm supposed to be hoping Trey Burke slips to the Pistons tonight or praying to the heavens that someone else takes him so we don't completely destroy his life.

Super conflicted.
I need to purchase a new Pistons jersey... my Webber uni is looking a bit rough... so I am hoping Detroit takes him.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:59 PM
WesNichols14

vCash: 505
Quote:

Super conflicted.
I'm not a basketball fan but I have been reading up on the draft and want the team to pick the best player available as with all sports.

Old
06-27-2013, 07:29 PM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Nevermind, once in a lifetime chance to take a kid who's already a hero in the region and have him turn around your broken down franchise?

Joe Dumars "Nope. Not even."

#ShootMe

Old
06-27-2013, 08:01 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Dumars is the worst GM in Detroit sports by a country mile. Fire everyone.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:18 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Nevermind, once in a lifetime chance to take a kid who's already a hero in the region and have him turn around your broken down franchise?

#ShootMe
You mean he passed up on the chance to take yet another undersized shoot-first point guard just because he played one year at the local college?

I don't think Dumars has done a great job the last 7 or 8 years, but he didn't do anything wrong tonight short of maybe trying to trade up a spot to get McLemore. They had a lineup with no outside shooters and he took maybe the best shooter in the draft. I don't have a problem with that.

This draft sucks. Picking Burke and having two undersized point guards who can't pass and nobody that can shoot, that doesn't make the team any better.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:35 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Do the Pistons have a point guard? Nope. Do good teams in the NBA usually do? Yes.

And in terms of local college kid, it's not like Burke at #8 was a weird pick you'd only make because he's a local kid. Any team without a good PG situation was going to consider him around that spot and lo and behold he went one pick later at #9.

This was the rare chance to make a crowd-pleasing ticket-selling move that also helps your team.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:55 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Do the Pistons have a point guard? Nope. Do good teams in the NBA usually do? Yes.

And in terms of local college kid, it's not like Burke at #8 was a weird pick you'd only make because he's a local kid. Any team without a good PG situation was going to consider him around that spot and lo and behold he went one pick later at #9.

This was the rare chance to make a crowd-pleasing ticket-selling move that also helps your team.
First off, they just used a top pick on Brandon Knight. Maybe he's not cut out to be their star PG but they're not in a position to scrap heap him yet.

Nobody's going to the Palace to watch a lousy team just because Burke is the PG. The only way to get people back to the Palace is to build a winning team. Taking some guy because maybe he's popular with the locals isn't the way to build a winning team.

And by the way, Minnesota was so hot for him at #9 that they immediately traded him for the 14th and 21st picks.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:02 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Because Minnesota didn't need a PG, they have their PG. They took him to trade him. That doesn't go against Burke.

And Brandon Knight isn't a true PG, he won't run the team like one. Burke can run a team. The guy the Pistons took is an outside-shooting wing who not even optimists peg as a star. That's a "final piece" type pick not a pick you make as a team essentially starting over.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:27 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Because Minnesota didn't need a PG, they have their PG. They took him to trade him. That doesn't go against Burke.

And Brandon Knight isn't a true PG, he won't run the team like one. Burke can run a team. The guy the Pistons took is an outside-shooting wing who not even optimists peg as a star. That's a "final piece" type pick not a pick you make as a team essentially starting over.
The point made was that Burke must be good because he went one pick later at 9. My counter was that the team that took him didn't even want him.

There may not be a single star in this draft. Instead of throwing a dart, the Pistons took a guy that can shore up a big weakness in their team. As I said, I don't have a problem with that. I don't like Burke and I'm glad he's going elsewhere.

I'm sure we can all agree on this - at least they didn't end up being the fools that bought into Alex Len.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:50 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
The point made was that Burke must be good because he went one pick later at 9. My counter was that the team that took him didn't even want him.
I could counter it and say the Jazz traded away two first rounders to get him so he must be good. The trade is pretty irrelevant, Burke was a top 10 pick on a lot of if not most boards.

Quote:
There may not be a single star in this draft. Instead of throwing a dart, the Pistons took a guy that can shore up a big weakness in their team. As I said, I don't have a problem with that. I don't like Burke and I'm glad he's going elsewhere.
MSU fan? I think Burke has deficits as every other player in the draft, but if there's no sure thing I'd always go with the guy that offers more upside and that is to me, on multiple levels, Burke.

Quote:
I'm sure we can all agree on this - at least they didn't end up being the fools that bought into Alex Len.
Or Cody Zeller for that matter..

Old
06-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
We already bought into Ziggy Ansah

Old
07-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Porcello is suspended for six games for plunking Zobrist. Lesson learned. Have some useless situational lefty *cough*coke*cough* plunk someone next time.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:23 PM
vladdy16

Quote:

#ShootMe
Once in a lifetime? Heard of Mateen Cleaves?

I like the way the Pistons are shaping up. Doubt Dumars whiffs on this situation.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Syckle78

Holy crap Mateen Cleaves I haven't heard that name in years. Always been a Michigan fan and hated sparty but always liked him.

Old
07-07-2013, 12:04 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

I guess because of Mateen Cleaves the Pistons can never draft a Michigan-based college player again. The argument isn't that you draft Burke because he is a Michigan player, it's because he's a hell of a basketball player who many would argue was "best player available" at the time the Pistons picked *and* at a position of need *and* a popular Michigan player.

Of course, Pistons management can disagree but what exactly has Dumars done to justify placing any faith in him especially in the draft? Tayshaun Prince is the most notable player he's drafted and that in 13 years..and the Darko Milicic pick is still one of the bigger WTF moments in Detroit draft history.

Old
07-07-2013, 12:46 AM
vladdy16

Drafting Darko wasn't a WTF moment, it was pretty much a consensus pick. He simply bombed after that.

Dumars built a championship team, that went to the conference finals how many years in a row? Recently the Monroe and Drummond picks are pretty sparkling.

I don't really think you can say Burke was at a position of need, with Knight on the roster he'd be kind of redundent. Young athletic guard, not a traditional point guard, jury will be out whether they still qualify as 'athletic' compared to NBA players as opposed to college players. Burke and Knight on the same roster would've been pretty funky.

Perimeter shooting on the other hand is what allowed the Pistons to go after Smith, and accelerate the rebuild considerably.

Can understand being dissapointed for sure though. As a kid I was pretty fond of Charles Rogers and Mateen Cleaves, if Burke doesn't turn into an all-star(odds are against anyone) you might be happy it happened in someone elses newspapers.

Old
07-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Syckle78

Yea Darko was a terrible wtf pick in retrospect. But let's not forget there was tremendous hype first him at the time. I know Chad Ford had him ranked 2 or 3 back and fforth leading up to the draft. Piston fans were pretty stoked about the pick at the time.

Joe D did a great job building that championship team. But from the moment we lucked into that draft slot and picking Darko it's been a complete cluster ****.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:25 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

I remember the debate about the Darko pick very well, I moderated a Pistons forum at the time randomly enough. Calling that pick a consensus pick is revisionist history. The reality of it was that while there was a case for taking him 2nd, that wasn't the consensus, the consensus was easily Melo.

As often is the case with such important decisions, the Pistons sold the hell out of the pick and indeed at the end of that PR blitz a lot of Pistons fans had convinced themselves that it was the right pick. And I say PR blitz because nobody knew much at all about Milicic, fewer even had seen him play, so it all came down to scouting reports and well the glowing ones tended to be the ones that got reported and sold.

Yet when it clarified that Milicic was going to be the likely pick there was a lot of "lol random Euro over Melo, what idiots..." all over NBA forums but also more specific criticism about the practice of picking a big man who seems a lot less of a sure thing over a surer thing guard especially as there were also scouting reports that weren't nearly that positive. Everyone knew at the time Melo was a special player, he would have gone 1st overall in this year's draft, but he wasn't a big man of course. We've seen that game play out before. Anyway, Darko was definitely not a consensus pick. Full disclosure: I figured Melo would be a star but I also was willing to give Pistons management the benefit of the doubt...that was of course at a time when it seemed they knew what they were doing, 10 years ago.

Old
07-07-2013, 02:23 AM
Syckle78

Sure not claiming it was consensus because it definitely wasn't. However it wasn't a wtf off the board pick either.

Anyways that was one of the last years I actively followed basketball. What's with the NBA draft,why does it seem so shallow? It kind of seems like you need to be a top 3 or even number one draft pick team to get a big time impact player. I don't remember it being that way in the 90's when picks as low as the 20s had real value.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:03 PM
sarcastro

Why is AJax so terrible at stealing bases? I don't get it.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
I guess because of Mateen Cleaves the Pistons can never draft a Michigan-based college player again. The argument isn't that you draft Burke because he is a Michigan player, it's because he's a hell of a basketball player who many would argue was "best player available" at the time the Pistons picked *and* at a position of need *and* a popular Michigan player.

Of course, Pistons management can disagree but what exactly has Dumars done to justify placing any faith in him especially in the draft? Tayshaun Prince is the most notable player he's drafted and that in 13 years..and the Darko Milicic pick is still one of the bigger WTF moments in Detroit draft history.
The right move was trading up for this guy.

Joe can still make it right by shipping out Monroe and whatever else it takes not named Andre for Rondo or a another legit PG.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Smyly with second most innings pitched of any reliever and a 2 ERA. He should have been an allstar.

Closed Thread