HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shea Weber

Old
04-16-2013, 07:48 PM
MrBigglesworth

vCash: 500
Shea Weber

Normally not a fan of these sorts of threads, and given Weber's reputation around here I'm betting on some disagreements...but I think this excerpt from an article in the local paper today is actually pretty bang on..

There is no reason to believe he [Weber] couldnít command three or more pieces to a trade puzzle, not as much as the Oilers got for Chris Pronger (Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, two first-rounders and a second) in 2006, but ballpark.

He was traded for very close to the same package 3 years later.

To refresh memories on the Edmonton -> Anaheim trade...Lupul (1st round, 7th overall) was at the time coming off of a good sophomore season of 28 goals and 53 points, and 41-46-87 in his first 156 games. Smid (1st round, 9th overall) was a very good defensive prospect.

Pronger had just carried his team into game 7 of the finals and was arguably the most dominant defenseman in the league. Weber's younger but I think that's about all you can give him...not sure he's quite at the level Pronger was. Personally, if he's traded, I don't think you can realistically expect him to get much more than that package of a young top 6 roster player, top prospect, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, and a conditional 1st round pick.

MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:28 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
Normally not a fan of these sorts of threads, and given Weber's reputation around here I'm betting on some disagreements...but I think this excerpt from an article in the local paper today is actually pretty bang on..

There is no reason to believe he [Weber] couldnít command three or more pieces to a trade puzzle, not as much as the Oilers got for Chris Pronger (Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, two first-rounders and a second) in 2006, but ballpark.

He was traded for very close to the same package 3 years later.

To refresh memories on the Edmonton -> Anaheim trade...Lupul (1st round, 7th overall) was at the time coming off of a good sophomore season of 28 goals and 53 points, and 41-46-87 in his first 156 games. Smid (1st round, 9th overall) was a very good defensive prospect.

Pronger had just carried his team into game 7 of the finals and was arguably the most dominant defenseman in the league. Weber's younger but I think that's about all you can give him...not sure he's quite at the level Pronger was. Personally, if he's traded, I don't think you can realistically expect him to get much more than that package of a young top 6 roster player, top prospect, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, and a conditional 1st round pick.
This has been said many times before, but here goes again :

- they can not trade him until at least a year after they matched the offer sheet
- they (especially as a small market team) are not going to pay him all that money up front and huge, huge salary for one year of (subpar even) play, then peddle him off for lesser pieces
- he is, especially with Suter gone, the face of their franchise

He is not moving anytime soon.

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post

- they can not trade him until at least a year after they matched the offer sheet
- they (especially as a small market team) are not going to pay him all that money up front and huge, huge salary for one year of (subpar even) play, then peddle him off for lesser pieces

Especially with another massive signing bonus due on July 1st. They will have paid ~26.5m by the time they could trade him, with 42m due in signing bonuses over the next 4 years. While he's far from untradeable, I just don't see how Nashville can trade him, while still trying to claim that they're willing to spend to compete/contend.

They should have traded Suter before losing him for nothing last year, or do what Shero did with Stall.. won't sign an extension in July... move him while he still has time left on his deal.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:55 PM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:

This was acknowledged and not the point of the thread.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:58 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

good 2nd post.

but for the sake of HF, lets hear the offers.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:00 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:

Other than saying that there's no reason to beleive he couldn't command three pieces, the rest of the OP ignores all the points I made, and essentially is trying to devalue Weber. Trading Weber right now, especially for lesser pieces, would be about the stupidest thing Nashville could possibly do.

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:01 PM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Especially with another massive signing bonus due on July 1st. They will have paid ~26.5m by the time they could trade him, with 42m due in signing bonuses over the next 4 years. While he's far from untradeable, I just don't see how Nashville can trade him, while still trying to claim that they're willing to spend to compete/contend.

They should have traded Suter before losing him for nothing last year, or do what Shero did with Stall.. won't sign an extension in July... move him while he still has time left on his deal.
The offer sheet really screwed them. They couldn't not match- franchise player + Suter both gone at the same time, and only some low 1st rounders to try and sell your (non hockey market) fans. And after paying that much money up front, how can you trade him unless he requests it.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:03 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
good 2nd post.

but for the sake of HF, lets hear the offers.
Rather not TBH.

I brought up Gaborik one time last year in one of the dozens of Weber threads.
Needless to say it didn't go over very well with NY fans.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:03 PM
HavlatMach9

I'm not aware of any NTC so his return would be massive.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:04 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Has it really been though? Or is the team just worse/depleted by injuries? Weber's in the top 20 among defenseman in pretty much every counting stat (hits, blocks, points, TOI). In fact, I think he's the only d-man in the top 20 in all of those categories.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Prongo
Beer

I said from the Flyers perspective I would trade whoever we draft this year with Couts +.

Couturier
Nurse(Who I believe the Flyers would take)
1st 2014
3rd 2014
Mez(Cap purposes only)

For

Weber

Just fun to speculate!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:07 PM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
Other than saying that there's no reason to beleive he couldn't command three pieces, the rest of the OP ignores all the points I made, and essentially is trying to devalue Weber. Trading Weber right now, especially for lesser pieces, would be about the stupidest thing Nashville could possibly do.
Perhaps I didn't word the OP correctly then. I don't believe he will be traded unless he pulls a Pronger/Nash/Heatley. Maybe not even then. More just curious what folks feel his value would be if he did get dealt.

Seems like most of the hypotheticals around here are along the lines of.. "you won't get Weber unless you're prepared to give up..." *insert the teams 2 best players + 1-3 first round picks* "...and even then probably wouldn't be enough".

Old
04-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Pekka Rinne

According to Nashville fans:

TWO of Eberle/Hall/RNH/Yakupov + ONE of Smid/Petry/J. Schultz + our top 10 pick this year.

Pekka Rinne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I would offer:

Lars Eller, Raphael Diaz, Nathan Beaulieu or Jarred Tinordi, 1st 2014, 2nd 2015
vs
Shea Weber

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:14 PM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post

TWO of Eberle/Hall/RNH/Yakupov + ONE of Smid/Petry/J. Schultz + our top 10 pick this year.
LOL thats absurd, no single player in todays game would command something like that haul, completely unprecedented.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:18 PM
hockey diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I would offer:

Lars Eller, Raphael Diaz, Nathan Beaulieu or Jarred Tinordi, 1st 2014, 2nd 2015
vs
Shea Weber
No! We've had enough of Habs castoffs, thank you very much.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Pekka Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
LOL thats absurd, no single player in todays game would command something like that haul, completely unprecedented.
Thats what was the asking price in the Eberle + 1st thread.

Pekka Rinne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:21 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

Quote:

Did you even read the whole post or did you just read the first point and reply with a ? The 2nd post has it all tbh

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:23 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

Quote:

IMO that's too much...I'd say

:

Shea Weber

:

Jordan Eberle
Smid/Petry
2nd 2013
1st 2014

Old
04-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
IMO that's too much...I'd say

:

Shea Weber

:

Jordan Eberle
Smid/Petry
2nd 2013
1st 2014
Eberle
Hemsky/Smid
1st

Csonked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:28 PM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:

Heh, that's the sort of thing I mean. I'd say it's miles from reality, and more realistic from the Oilers would be in the realm of Gagner + Klefbom + 1st in 2013...maybe another minor asset as well.

Prongo's is also fair value IMO.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:29 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingbooya View Post
Eberle
Hemsky/Smid
1st
Thought I'd offer that 2nd since that 1st rounder wouldn't be a 2013 one. But i don't know if either team would even like that deal, I'm no Oilers or Preds fan . I just know the Oilers need defense and the preds need offense and depth

Old
04-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Roof Daddy

Someone started a similar thread last night and it got locked for some unforeseen reason (unless there were some bad posts removed), but I thought I had a legit offer. So here goes again:

We sign Gagner long-term (8 years), with the first year front loaded with the max allowable salary, paid primarily in bonus with league minimum as a base salary (didn't do the exact math, but for a cap average of 5 mil per season, the bonus could be 8mil, 4.5 per the bonus was shy of 7.5, you get the picture). This would be done to recoup the Pred's monetary loss through bonus with Weber. The deal would be:

Gagner (with the salary considerations mentioned), Yakupov, Petry, 2014 1st for Weber.

Not sure if Preds fans would consider it, not sure the whole story - whether Weber legitimately doesn't want to be there or it's simply media speculation - but I'd hope that's in the ballpark. A far better package than what a signed Pronger fetched, and certainly with the potential for Yakupov to sway the deal heavily into the Preds favour (depending on what Yak becomes, but I think 40-40 potential is clearly there), but I wouldn't hesitate as an Oil fan.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Someone started a similar thread last night and it got locked for some unforeseen reason (unless there were some bad posts removed), but I thought I had a legit offer. So here goes again:

We sign Gagner long-term (8 years), with the first year front loaded with the max allowable salary, paid primarily in bonus with league minimum as a base salary (didn't do the exact math, but for a cap average of 5 mil per season, the bonus could be 8mil, 4.5 per the bonus was shy of 7.5, you get the picture). This would be done to recoup the Pred's monetary loss through bonus with Weber. The deal would be:

Gagner (with the salary considerations mentioned), Yakupov, Petry, 2014 1st for Weber.

Not sure if Preds fans would consider it, not sure the whole story - whether Weber legitimately doesn't want to be there or it's simply media speculation - but I'd hope that's in the ballpark. A far better package than what a signed Pronger fetched, and certainly with the potential for Yakupov to sway the deal heavily into the Preds favour (depending on what Yak becomes, but I think 40-40 potential is clearly there), but I wouldn't hesitate as an Oil fan.
Do the Oils get any lube for this deal before they take it......good lord would this set the rebuild back....

Csonked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:50 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I said from the Flyers perspective I would trade whoever we draft this year with Couts +.

Couturier
Nurse(Who I believe the Flyers would take)
1st 2014
3rd 2014
Mez(Cap purposes only)

For

Weber

Just fun to speculate!
pass. If philly wants Shea, it'll be Giroux leaving.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote