HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injury Talk 7.0: Price (knee/groin), Patches (shoulder), Pleks (groin), Prust (rib)

Old
05-05-2013, 06:34 AM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Exactly! Gionta is a complete player who is effective in all three zones. He rarely turns the puck over and is always in a strong defensive position. Offensively he brings the puck to the net and creates havoc in the dirty areas.

Most posters on this board judge a players impact by the scoresheet at the end of the game.
Actually, if you go by the scoresheet, Gionta is a good second line winger. That scoresheet also shows +/- and other defensive stats, so again, the scoresheet favours Gionta, in both regular season and playoff-intensity time.

There are two groups of people who are anti-Gionta. The tolerable ones are those who complain about his cap hit, but we are talking about one more year only, and the guy has been a proven 20-30 goal scorer. Except for the injury-plagues season of 2011-12, Gionta has scored 28 and 29 goals and then pace of 24 this year. Veterans with this type of consistent production get $4-4.5M easily. If they are good defensively, you can easily justify an extra million. Besides, replacing him on the UFA market will only mean paying another guy about $5M. So I don't sweat the cap, and just caution that if we re-sign him, it should be for short-term at market value each year, even if that means the salary declines at times.

The second group of detractors is composed of people who read, not the scoresheet, but the tale of the tape. Gionta is small and this somehow hurts their self-esteem. It's crap, especially when you see how he has spent a career getting goals from around the crease while getting pounded.

The scary thought is that if Brendan Gallagher continues his style of play and results, he will one day get a big contract, and the same pathetic Habs faux-fans might turn against him when he is in his thirties, just as they have turned against the Captain in a year that the team is showing character every night. NOT an inspiring way to conduct themselves.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:47 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Actually, if you go by the scoresheet, Gionta is a good second line winger. That scoresheet also shows +/- and other defensive stats, so again, the scoresheet favours Gionta, in both regular season and playoff-intensity time.

There are two groups of people who are anti-Gionta. The tolerable ones are those who complain about his cap hit, but we are talking about one more year only, and the guy has been a proven 20-30 goal scorer. Except for the injury-plagues season of 2011-12, Gionta has scored 28 and 29 goals and then pace of 24 this year. Veterans with this type of consistent production get $4-4.5M easily. If they are good defensively, you can easily justify an extra million. Besides, replacing him on the UFA market will only mean paying another guy about $5M. So I don't sweat the cap, and just caution that if we re-sign him, it should be for short-term at market value each year, even if that means the salary declines at times.

The second group of detractors is composed of people who read, not the scoresheet, but the tale of the tape. Gionta is small and this somehow hurts their self-esteem. It's crap, especially when you see how he has spent a career getting goals from around the crease while getting pounded.

The scary thought is that if Brendan Gallagher continues his style of play and results, he will one day get a big contract, and the same pathetic Habs faux-fans might turn against him when he is in his thirties, just as they have turned against the Captain in a year that the team is showing character every night. NOT an inspiring way to conduct themselves.
Good analysis here. I think the people in the second camp realize that Habs have too many players under 5'11" and need to be bigger. Thus Gionta and DD get the brunt of this diatribe. (Pleks and Gallagher usually are off limits.) when 4 of your top 9 are under sized in today's game, this disadvantage is usually magnified in playoff hockey.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:07 AM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Isn't a bicep injury the same one as last year?
Yeah, it is. He left the Habs in December with a bicep injury that required surgery, and missed the rest of the year. I don't know if it's the same bicep, but it would be weird if he somehow injured the other one, and if he did injure the same one then basically this is something that is going to be a recurring injury like a groin can be (thinking of Halak here). But, this is all speculation...

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:31 AM
walsy37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

I don't hate Gio but I can't stand his momentum killing shoot the puck directly into goalie's chest from 45 feet out that he has 2 or 3 times a game....

But this is the injury thread and I certainly hope he gets better soon.

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:33 AM
LeHab

Any news on MaxPac?

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:29 AM
FeelsLike93

“@JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs Therrien says Pacioretty and Gionta are both gametime decisions. Bourque will play.”

Good news!

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Any update on Eller? He was supposedly in Brossard yesterday but didn't practice.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:09 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
TSN says rumor has it that both Patches and Gionta are banged up bad. We got the rumor about bicep for Gionta but I wonder what it is for Patches. I'll speculate a shoulder injury.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:06 PM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
TSN says rumor has it that both Patches and Gionta are banged up bad. We got the rumor about bicep for Gionta but I wonder what it is for Patches. I'll speculate a shoulder injury.
Dang that sucks about Patches, we won't get far with just Ryder, Bourque and Gallagher.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Not sure how badly they are banged up if they're game time decisions. They obviously have injuries, but pretty sure they're minor ones if they're day-to-day and game time decisions.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:42 PM
LeHab

Quote:
This means patches will heal anytime now.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:30 PM
29dryden29

I am thinking we give Gio and Max an extra night off and stay with the same lineup we won with and go from there.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:34 PM
MD thaivuN
Anime Music Hipster

vCash: 470
I knew it; Hugh Jackman was in attendance at the first game to take back his Wolverine healing powers from Patches

MD thaivuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I am thinking we give Gio and Max an extra night off and stay with the same lineup we won with and go from there.

Maybe we should have played the whole season without PK too considering we won without him..

If Gionta and Pacioretty are good to go, we play them.
Pacioretty has been our leading scorer in back to back seasons, and Gionta always steps up in the POs. You don't sit those guys out if you don't have to, that would be ********.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Et le But

Speaking of French Canadians, Fatty is a scratch for Ottawa. Part of the conspiracy?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:53 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Speaking of French Canadians, Fatty is a scratch for Ottawa. Part of the conspiracy?
He's just scared of White.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's just scared of White.
White Power !

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:50 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Anyone see anything new about eller?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:54 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Maybe we should have played the whole season without PK too considering we won without him..

If Gionta and Pacioretty are good to go, we play them.
Pacioretty has been our leading scorer in back to back seasons, and Gionta always steps up in the POs. You don't sit those guys out if you don't have to, that would be ********.
How did that work out last night with the GHOSTS of paches past not showing up just the invisible man.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Draft

I kinda miss Geoffrion to be entirely honest. Would have been interesting to see if and how he would have improved his game this year. Might have been able to make an impact with the Habs. Any updates on his recovery?

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:27 PM
muzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I kinda miss Geoffrion to be entirely honest. Would have been interesting to see if and how he would have improved his game this year. Might have been able to make an impact with the Habs. Any updates on his recovery?
Would have been eating hot-dogs with Blunden...

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:32 PM
NikoEhlers
Let's Go Nikolaj!!!

vCash: 50
Do we have any update on how Eller is feeling, he should have either gotten green light to do light exercise to test his condition, or been told to wait. Being the playoffs we might not get an update. His dads words were uplifting though, but ive had a concussion and you can feel bad for some time, I think it lasted at least a month for me. I hope it wasnt a concussion.

NikoEhlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Andy

I have a little update on Eller. My GF's mom works at the general. Eller was rushed to the hospital to fix his nose and to check if there is concussion...just safety protocol. She said he was doing extremely well, just a broken nose and facial swelling.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:02 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I have a little update on Eller. My GF's mom works at the general. Eller was rushed to the hospital to fix his nose and to check if there is concussion...just safety protocol. She said he was doing extremely well, just a broken nose and facial swelling.
Which means we should see him before the end of the series?

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:02 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Did she catch a glimpse of his gloves?

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote