Notices

Ducks will wear a Blue Jacket tonight

Old
04-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Ramenbot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Getting really sick of your constant bashing of the fan base.
He's right, though. Attendance is poor and opposing fans take over the building easily.

Ramenbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:58 AM
snowave

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Getting really sick of your constant bashing of the fan base.

sorry, but reality sucks sometimes. Try not to take it personally. I know that the ones here on the forum are among our biggest fans.

I'm more or less venting at the 20 million people within 90 minutes of the arena that don't show up to support a team ...although I do get irritated when people on the board let their pride get in the way of reality, and make excuses for everyone else.

I guess I just thought that with this team being near the top of the league this year in wins (until recently).. that we'd draw better than we have.

Yeah, maybe it's better than the last year or two whatever, but some of these games, seeing half empty arena's and 1/2 of the building's fans being from the other team is disappointing, to say the least. Yes, some of that has been going on for years, but it seems alot worse this year for some reason.
------------------------------------------------------------------
and MMonarchs:

"None of that changes the fact that all the claims about attendance being 'down' being completely untrue."

I never claimed attendance was 'down', I'm saying it sucks, and we've near the bottom of the league for quite some time now.

snowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Kalvinators
GDT record: 5-4-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowave View Post
sorry, but reality sucks sometimes. Try not to take it personally. I know that the ones here on the forum are among our biggest fans.
You have a good point.
I`d just like to add that i don`t think that it is ''fan quality'' issue with the Ducks, but the amount of them.

BUT

this franchise was only the 3d (amongst active) franchise here, and all the hockey fans before were sucked in their teams (as well as the fact, that we live in the smallest market of all 3). And our team kind of sucked in first 9 years, when there was every reason to follow SJ or LA.
Sure a lot of fans change their teams, but do we really count them as ''fans''?

Imo Ducks are doing great job now for bringing in hokey into youngest OC location inhabitants (kids). There are HS league, and i think there were few other actions and events for kids. In this way we are growing the new Ducks fan generation, that will bring something after at least 10 years.

I think Samuellis have to do a lot with that.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:19 PM
snowave

I'll generally agree with those points. Although I'm not involved in the local community/hockey.. from what I've heard it has come a long way, and I'm sure the Ducks have had alot to do with that.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:41 PM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

It is rather embarrassing that we're near the top of the standings, yet still near the bottom in attendance.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Lyca

Should this be a separate discussion or are our games really this uneventful?

Ducks appear to be very public about their high school programs but I don't know how the numbers compare with the other local teams. I think they discussed this topic on air when the league was forming, right? Anyway one would have to assume there's going to be more kids growing up as Ducks fans now compared to the time when there was no such league.

Lyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Ramenbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyca View Post
Should this be a separate discussion or are our games really this uneventful?

Ducks appear to be very public about their high school programs but I don't know how the numbers compare with the other local teams. I think they discussed this topic on air when the league was forming, right? Anyway one would have to assume there's going to be more kids growing up as Ducks fans now compared to the time when there was no such league.
The bad attendance is no fault of the Ducks. They've assembled a good team, and do lots of community work. For whatever reason, people are just choosing not to show up.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:43 PM
snowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenbot View Post
The bad attendance is no fault of the Ducks. They've assembled a good team, and do lots of community work. For whatever reason, people are just choosing not to show up.

Well, many argue this team is boring to watch this year... and I tend to agree with that statement (as has been discussed many times before)... but, I'm not sure that's the main reason.

I don't think there's one single reason..my best guess is that it's a combination of alot of the things people here have mentioned. Not that I'm saying those are all valid/excuse-able reasons,though.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Quote:
Well, many argue this team is boring to watch this year... and I tend to agree with that statement (as has been discussed many times before)... but, I'm not sure that's the main reason.

I don't think there's one single reason..my best guess is that it's a combination of alot of the things people here have mentioned. Not that I'm saying those are all valid/excuse-able reasons,though.
The #1 reason is that Southern California people are in general poor sports fans. There's some diehards for every sport, but the vast majority here only follow what's trendy. As soon as its no longer trendy, support disappears. Neither the Ducks nor the Kings sold out the season they won the Cup in.

The whole "boring hockey" thing is nonsense. Again - attendance is up. This is just a bad market. The fact that we have people on these boards who aren't going because "they're boring" proves it. When the most rabid fans of the sport (which you assume includes everyone on a hockey discussion board) won't support your team when they're winning, they're not really fans of the sport, they're fans of one particular aspect of the sport. Try to explain that attitude to someone in Toronto, or Montreal, or Winnipeg. Or any other large market. Not supporting a non-winning team is normal. Not supporting a winning team means you're a poor fan. I'll support your right to not spend money on something you don't enjoy, don't get me wrong, but you're a large (and inexcusable) part of the problem if the team is lost due to poor attendance.

To be clear, I'm not attacking you personally Snowave, I'm just talking about any individuals that won't pay to attend a game right now - tickets are dirt cheap.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 03:51 PM
snowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
The #1 reason is that Southern California people are in general poor sports fans. There's some diehards for every sport, but the vast majority here only follow what's trendy. As soon as its no longer trendy, support disappears. Neither the Ducks nor the Kings sold out the season they won the Cup in.

The whole "boring hockey" thing is nonsense. Again - attendance is up. This is just a bad market. The fact that we have people on these boards who aren't going because "they're boring" proves it. When the most rabid fans of the sport (which you assume includes everyone on a hockey discussion board) won't support your team when they're winning, they're not really fans of the sport, they're fans of one particular aspect of the sport. Try to explain that attitude to someone in Toronto, or Montreal, or Winnipeg. Or any other large market. Not supporting a non-winning team is normal. Not supporting a winning team means you're a poor fan. I'll support your right to not spend money on something you don't enjoy, don't get me wrong, but you're a large (and inexcusable) part of the problem if the team is lost due to poor attendance.

To be clear, I'm not attacking you personally Snowave, I'm just talking about any individuals that won't pay to attend a game right now - tickets are dirt cheap.

DVM, that first paragraph, I will somewhat agree.... especially regarding the Ducks.

The second paragraph didn't make alot of sense to me, other than what seemed to be twisting around alot of what I said, so I'll leave that one alone... well, at unless I get blasted tonight, and I have nothing better to do then come back and rehash it again.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:

A few isn't many.

04-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Quote:
DVM, that first paragraph, I will somewhat agree.... especially regarding the Ducks.

The second paragraph didn't make alot of sense to me, other than what seemed to be twisting around alot of what I said, so I'll leave that one alone... well, at unless I get blasted tonight, and I have nothing better to do then come back and rehash it again.
The second paragraph wasn't about you at all, sorry I tried to make that clear. There are certain other posters who have said they won't go to games because even though the team is winning they aren't "tough" enough. Tell that to a hockey fan from a large market and then get them to agree that person is actually a hockey fan. Especially when you tell them the tickets in Anaheim are one of the biggest bargains in the league. I can see not paying money for a bad product. I can also see not paying for a product I don't particularly like watching even when they're successful, but if that's the case I acknowledge I'm not really a fanatic (which is what "fan" is short for) about the sport, and I acknowledge when the team goes away and I no longer have that form of entertainment available its my own fault.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:55 PM
snowave

ok, I'm getting a headache. I think we're starting to get down to splitting Getzlaf's hairs here. Some valid points made by all of us, and a few exaggerations and assumptions that are being taken out of context as well.

so.. to that end, I'm done. Cheers, gentlemen.

Old
04-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Ramenbot

[QUOTE=Ducks DVM;64271541 tickets are dirt cheap.[/QUOTE]

No way. I think they're too expensive.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Navyducks8

Quote:
Try where im at going to a rangers or bruins games those tickets are way more expensive than ducks. They are cheap i would have went to way more games if they were ducks prices

Navyducks8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Quote:
The Ducks have the 5th cheapest average ticket in the league at $40.49, despite being in one of the top highest cost of living areas in the league. Compare that to a league average of $61.01 for an average ticket, and Toronto ($124.69), Winnipeg ($97.84), Vancouver ($87.38), Montreal ($78.56), Washington ($73.75), NYR ($72.04). And those are for "average" tickets. Premium tickets are usually 2-2.5 times as much. $94.18 for the Ducks. As in, you can sit down near the glass at the Honda center for less than front row balcony in a lot of other places.

Ducks fans have zero right to complain at cost for the product being provided this year.

http://fancostexperience.com/pages/f...020_pdf001.pdf

Old
04-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Ramenbot

All that tells me is other teams are way too expensive. It's generally harder to get a good deal with hockey tickets than with other sports.