HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Survival of Checked Sticks?

Old
04-17-2013, 11:04 AM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
Survival of Checked Sticks?

I'm going back to the States and would like to pick up some clearance sticks. Have any of you checked sticks on an international flight? If so what were the results?

I was thinking I could buy a stick bag and put them in there, especially if there was 4 of them or something but I just don't think they are going to make it.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:30 AM
AIREAYE

I had one stick in one stickbag stuffed with cloth, taped up. Went through just fine. You should obviously look at the larger stick bags if you're going to grab more than a couple. You should recognize that with any regular 'soft' stick bag, nothing will protect it against snapping if it gets caught.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:21 PM
intangible

One time while traveling up to Canada for a tryout, out of my 5 goalie sticks, only 1 made it through. No idea what the problem was.. it was in a team stick bag and everything.

Like the previous person said, I'd wrap it up the best you can. Or just have the company ship it internationally.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:50 PM
McDugan

Probably better to get them packed up at a UPS Store and ship them to yourself at home.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:22 PM
jazzykat

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I am tax and duty exempt, so if I get my team to order we can get a few brands of really sweet sticks shipped directly from a mega online-retailer and a discount to boot.

It seems like a better option than getting a great deal on some sticks only to have them all busted before I take them on the ice.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:49 PM
AIREAYE

Hey, I think there's an old Chinese folk tale about how a dying father tried to teach his kids the value of cooperation by showing them how one twig is weak, but a bundle is strong. To my knowledge, team stick bags have sticks placed side-by side. So perhaps you could consider a way to arrange them in a bundle, where they are stronger as a whole.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Egoclapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Hey, I think there's an old Chinese folk tale about how a dying father tried to teach his kids the value of cooperation by showing them how one twig is weak, but a bundle is strong. To my knowledge, team stick bags have sticks placed side-by side. So perhaps you could consider a way to arrange them in a bundle, where they are stronger as a whole.

Great post.

Egoclapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:54 PM
jazzykat

hey intangible: did you have a recourse against the airline, for breaking 80% of your sticks?