HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Manning signs one year contract extension (reported at $625,000)

Old
04-08-2015, 08:34 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2652
Brandon Manning signs one year contract extension (reported at $625,000)

If you want to discuss...

Quote:
Manning makes impression.

Defenseman Brandon Manning has three points and a plus-3 rating in nine games this season, one in which he has been recalled four times from the Phantoms.

In 19 career NHL games, he is plus-8.

GM Ron Hextall is trying to re-sign the potential unrestricted free agent.

"I have to put my career first, but I would love to stay in Philly for sure,” Manning said.

Manning acknowledged that these late-season games are “big for me with my free-agent status.''

Added Manning: “I've kind of been a free agent my whole career. Wasn't drafted. . .that's been the story of my life. I know there are eight NHL guys ahead of me. This summer is a big summer for me. I can do whatever I want.''

It sounds as if he will test the market.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/s...ICQd3pCSGZT.99

And now signed:

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-10-2015 at 10:29 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Bummer because i think he has played pretty well. However, he is right...not a lot of spots open

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Striiker
Non-factor

vCash: 500
Couldn't care less if he leaves, he's not good enough to be a permanent NHL defensemen. There's no aspect of the game where he shines and even when he's been sheltered he's never been impressive.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2015, 09:39 AM
dats81

He has basically been the Phantoms #1D but more or less due to the absence of Gustafsson, recurring injuries to Alt, and a very shallow prospect pool.

With Hägg and Ghost in their second pro season and Morin possibly in the mix as well next year, that definitely puts Manning in a do or die situation: make the Flyers fulltime or find a new home because his playing time with the Phantoms would definitely diminish.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Les Averman

I've actually been pretty impressed with him in his time up. I honestly felt he outplayed the likes of Grossman, AMac and Cola. Granted that isn't saying a whole lot, but it is what it is. For his sake, it makes no sense to come back, and he should test the market. I think he can catch on somewhere as a bottom pairing defender.

Les Averman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2015, 10:43 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

I think hes a fringe guy, set to be a AHL callup or a 7th defender who fills in. I am totally ok with him leaving.

Hex should focus on DZ and trying to get rid of the dead weight. We have a solid 6/7 in Schultz. No need for more 6/7.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Morin-Ghost
Hagg-Alt

can be the Phantoms top 4 next season. See ya, Man.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Averman View Post
I've actually been pretty impressed with him in his time up. I honestly felt he outplayed the likes of Grossman, AMac and Cola. Granted that isn't saying a whole lot, but it is what it is. For his sake, it makes no sense to come back, and he should test the market. I think he can catch on somewhere as a bottom pairing defender.
Manning's played some pretty sheltered minutes. If you put him in the role that MacDonald and Grossmann have played for us this season, I don't think he'd look too good.

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan1493 View Post
Manning's played some pretty sheltered minutes. If you put him in the role that MacDonald and Grossmann have played for us this season, I don't think he'd look too good.
Indeed.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

Old
04-08-2015, 12:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan1493 View Post
They couldn't shelter him in the SJ & he didn't look too hot.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2015, 11:44 PM
CodyTheHuman

I wouldn't care if Manning left in free-agency, I just wish we could actually get something for him. Too bad he is unrestricted.

CodyTheHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Averman View Post
I agree. I hope they move MDZ for something.

Hockeypete49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I agree. I hope they move MDZ for something.
Really? He's been pretty decent.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2015, 08:49 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2652
Tim P. has an article on CSN today which talks about future personnel and past relationships:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...rs-next-season

Quote:
He says this internal competition is nothing new to him and it hasn’t hurt his relationship with his peers off the ice, either.

“I’ve had the same thing with [Erik] Gustafsson years before and with [Oliver] Lauridsen,” he said. “And I was great friends with all those guys. As you mature, you understand that is the way hockey is. It’s a business.

“For me, I came in this year and didn’t worry about those kids. The others are in their first or second year pro and I am doing what I can do. When I was their age, I saw it as competition. Everything else comes with age.”

While Ghost and his offensive-minded game have garnered all the attention, Manning has slipped under the radar.

“For sure,” Manning said. “All those guys are going to get the hype, right? The draft picks and prospects? That’s just that way it works. It’s something that has never bothered me.

“I’m not gonna complain about it. I’ve made a name for myself with what I’ve done in the American league this year and games here. That’s all I can do.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2015, 10:29 AM
TheRebelBully

Manning > MacDonald and Grossmann

The tools are better and if given the chance to play and improve on defensive awareness and positioning, he would be a better defensemen than those two at a lower cast.

But in true Flyers fashion, we won't give a young defensemen the chance to play because he isn't yet as good as the overpriced veteran playing in front of him. Then he would be an asset that we can either keep or move in a trade for a pick once another defensive prospect surpasses him.

I.E. Erik Gustafsson

TheRebelBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Curufinwe

So Manning is going to go to another NHL team and be a regular? I'll believe that when it happens.

Old
04-10-2015, 10:38 AM
McNasty

I don't think Manning is anything special, never good to lose a potential asset for nothing but if another team is going to make him an nhl starter they can go for it as far as I'm concerned.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Striiker
Non-factor

Manning is nothing. He'll be in Europe sooner than later because he isn't special in any area.

Not even worth giving him a contract since we have so many defensemen coming up behind him and he isn't better than any of them while his ceiling is probably below their floors. Perhaps an exaggeration but you get the point.

The only reason he's up over Alt and Hagg is because he's on the last year of his contract and they're giving him a final chance, he's done nothing with it and he's been entirely unimpressive so it's time to move on.

Old
04-10-2015, 12:19 PM
PhilaFlyers

Re-signed.

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/586578559680061440

Quote:
The Flyers have re-signed D Brandon Manning to a one-year contract extension. Details → http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=762452

More: http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=762452

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have re-signed defenseman Brandon Manning to a one-year contract extension, according to GM Ron Hextall.

The 24-year-old Manning has three assists in 10 games for the Flyers this season while averaging 17:07 of ice time.

Prior to joining the Flyers, Manning ranked second on the club’s AHL affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, in scoring with 43 points (11g-32a) in 58 games. His 32 assists ranked second and 43 points ranked fourth among all AHL defensemen at the time of his recall on Mar. 26.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Manning is nothing. He'll be in Europe sooner than later because he isn't special in any area.

Not even worth giving him a contract since we have so many defensemen coming up behind him and he isn't better than any of them while his ceiling is probably below their floors. Perhaps an exaggeration but you get the point.

The only reason he's up over Alt and Hagg is because he's on the last year of his contract and they're giving him a final chance, he's done nothing with it and he's been entirely unimpressive so it's time to move on.
Signed to a 1 year NHL deal lol.

Someone is getting moved this off-season.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Striiker
Non-factor

Not too happy about this.

He's a waste of space now.

Schultz, Streit, MacDonald, and Gudas are pretty much guaranteed spots.

Now Manning is too.

So unless we can also get rid of both Grossmann and Schenn we're not going to have room for MDZ. Plus that means that none of the prospects will be able to make the team if they impress.

Also, what does he do well? He's not dangerous offensively, he's not a shutdown defender, he's not fast or a great passer... what's his role and what does he do better than other the options?

Last edited by Striiker: 04-10-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old
04-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Roman Reigns
Hextall**Criss Angel

This good news simply because it means either L Schenn or Grossmann or both will be moved. Gudas replaces Schenn, Manning replaces Grossmann. Both cheaper than the guys they are replacing too and bring about the same level of play.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2015, 12:26 PM
SuchySays

weird signing. agree with Striker

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Hiesenberg

He can still be waived with a 1 way deal, it just doesn't affect his paycheck, right?

Old
04-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Hiesenberg

But I think Hextall believes he can be a #6, cheap too.

I don't think Hextall will be locked into a 2015 draft pick to move Schenn & Grossman either, gives him more wiggle room then.