Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Houston Aeros to move next season; become Iowa Wild

Old
04-18-2013, 05:05 PM
robkore

vCash: 500
As a Rangers fan now living in Houston, my love of the Aeros made the Wild my Western Conference team. I guess there's no real reason for me to stop now, but maybe I have to start cheering for the Stars as a vote of confidence for Texas hockey. Do you guys generally hate the Stars because of the relocation, or has that wound closed?

robkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:11 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkore View Post
As a Rangers fan now living in Houston, my love of the Aeros made the Wild my Western Conference team. I guess there's no real reason for me to stop now, but maybe I have to start cheering for the Stars as a vote of confidence for Texas hockey. Do you guys generally hate the Stars because of the relocation, or has that wound closed?
I never hated the Stars...I hated Norm Green, but I loved that team. After they left, I just kinda tuned out for a while. I'd pay attention to the NHL playoffs and put most of my rooting interest into the Gopher hockey team.

The Dallas Stars, to me, are just another NHL team now. With Modano retired and Green no longer associated, there is nothing tying that franchise to Minnesota any longer.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:14 PM
frozenriverrat77
Do Vu's New Voodoo

Quote:
Nope, it has scabbed over but it will never completely heal. Really its about the way they left and the fact that MN is the North Star state.

Watching Stars games now is like seeing a hated ex girlfriend hammered at a bar. Its funny, bittersweet, and weird all at the same time.

frozenriverrat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
The emotions around today's announcement can not begin to be summed up in 140 characters. Proud to be a part of the @Houston_Aeros
http://twitter.com/JAGtheATC/status/324994449371439104

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Karl

Sad news, sorry to the Houston Aeros fans. I was to young to understand when the North Stars or Lakers left/were stolen, but I respect the tradition especially the Stars had and how much people loved them. I was though old enough when the threat of the Twins be relocated in the early 2000's and it was awful. knowing that a source of happiness and joy could be taken from you buy a bunch of business people in suites is awful and you feel almost powerless to stop it. Hopefully some way the Aeros will come back and you fans can enjoy your Aeros again.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Emilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
seconded...good stuff.
Thanks guys. This was one of the hardest things ive ever had to write honestly. I still feel like it's not a good enough way to say "this sucks and I'm sorry"

Emilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Giles Ferrell
#believeinyeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie View Post
Thanks guys. This was one of the hardest things ive ever had to write honestly. I still feel like it's not a good enough way to say "this sucks and I'm sorry"
You said it as best you could. No real easy way to say it.

Giles Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:48 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie View Post
it's a really difficult thing to write without crossing the line to either sappiness or flippancy. it's just one of those things where no words are going to take the sting away but they can sooth the burn a little.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 07:54 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
I hate the existence of the Stars... I don't hate them like a rival.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Quote:
I was a North Stars fan for nearly 15 years before they left to Texas, so I continued to follow them, but when they won the Cup, it was kind of a hollow feeling for me, as the connection wasn't really there anymore.

Then when the Wild began, I became a Wild fan, and the Dallas Stars were kind of my second favorite team. However once Modano left the Stars, they just became another team.

I don't care about them any more or less than most other teams.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:07 PM
PredsFanFromla

I am Glad that I got to Geaux to the Houston Aeros Last Regular Season Home Game,Had a Blast and left with a Aeros Shirt and a Minnesota Wild Hockey Puck,Wish That Aeros weren't moving,so that i could go to more games

PredsFanFromla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Quote:
To me they feel like a perversion of their former self, an abomination against the State of Minnesota because they still use part of the North Stars name, and their colors are still very similar. They've announced that they are getting new jerseys this summer, and if they are original north stars colors I think I'm just gonna lose it.

It's one of those things that even 20 years later wont stop bugging you, despite the fact that you want to get over it, and it just keeps lingering around.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:34 PM
Sportsfan1

Might be a fun road trip now to go see a game one day, but my sincere apologies to all the loyal Aeros fans out there, great name!!!!! Hope you get a team again soon!

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:33 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
To me they feel like a perversion of their former self, an abomination against the State of Minnesota because they still use part of the North Stars name, and their colors are still very similar. They've announced that they are getting new jerseys this summer, and if they are original north stars colors I think I'm just gonna lose it.

It's one of those things that even 20 years later wont stop bugging you, despite the fact that you want to get over it, and it just keeps lingering around.
Exactly!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 12:22 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Exactly!
Good to see we finally agree on something.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 02:11 AM
StealthClobber
EUCALYPTUS!!!

Speaking of job losses in that article, I know for a fact the people who work the arena during Aeros games will have 48 or so less games to work, ultimately getting them less money, which is less money the arena has to pay them, getting them more money.

It's all about money. Those people can still work Rockets games and whatever else is at the arena, but that's 48 less Aeros games to work from October to April. I would always get into a suite at Aeros games (and may still for the playoffs depending on some things) and the guy who works that won't work those games anymore either (he works the suites at Minute Maid Park too, but the point is it's one less source of income).

StealthClobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Never thought they would have moved given the history that they had in Houston.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Dudicles

I think this sucks. To all you Houston fans, I'm very sorry you are losing your team, and I feel bad as a Wild fan that I'm guilty by association.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 12:25 PM
IceCapsFanNL

As someone who lost his team in 2005 I truly sympathize. I never thought we'd get another but we did last season.

Who knows what the future brings?

Keep you collective chins up.

IceCapsFanNL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:59 AM
sushinsky4tsar

HATE the name. It seems like it would just reinforce the point that you're the dumping ground for the NHL team. Wouldn't it be a better idea to give Iowa a solid name that they can identify with? Houston Aeros is a name you can take pride in. Iowa Wild means you're St. Paul's pee-on.

I guess the counterpoint is that the Iowa Cubs has probably helped to establish that fanbase.

Don't give them a carbon copy of our logo. At the very least, tweak the scenery to make it more Iowan. Farmhouse, cornfield, silo, etc.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Sugar Land looks to bring junior hockey team to town

Old
04-20-2013, 04:37 PM
BlueAero

Quote:
As a Rangers fan now living in Houston, my love of the Aeros made the Wild my Western Conference team. I guess there's no real reason for me to stop now, but maybe I have to start cheering for the Stars as a vote of confidence for Texas hockey.
Never in a million years will I root for anything in Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
That's nice for Fort Bend county but certainly no replacement for an AHL franchise in the city of Houston.

BlueAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Stopping Pucks

vCash: 50
Iowa Wild Jersey - https://twitter.com/mnwildPR/status/...143040/photo/1

Stopping Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Fel 96
JFC

http://iowawild.com

Looks so much better than the Chops.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Tough jerky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDZx View Post
Hmm... Looks actually nice, though still not the biggest fan of the scripted logos. Looks better than the Minnesota script, not sure why (lack of red the reason?). Slowly starting to like our 3rd as well, would still love it with the primary logo.

Tough jerky is offline   Reply With Quote