HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XVIII - TWTW Edition

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post

Good shooting guards usually aren't giants.
Obviously. I'm not sure why you think these posts are proving me wrong. Guys under the league average for height leading their team to championships. Hm. Well thanks, you're just helping me out. Illini's actually on topic though.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Its because small players can't get their shot off. Point guards don't lead teams to titles, its just how it is. There have been all kinds of great point guards/lead guards over the years (Payton, Iverson, Stockton, Hardaway, Kidd, Deron Williams, Nash, CP3, Rose, etc.) None of those players have lead their team to a title and only 2 made the Finals and Payton may not have been the best player on that Sonics team.
We should be talking about the modern NBA, so let's focus on Williams, CP3, and Rose. I suppose Nash too.

Nash's teams were all-offense, seven seconds or less. That system was never going to win a title. Although it did come quite close. Because Nash was surrounded with good talent based on his strengths. Kind of like Rose.

Deron Williams is never leading a team to a title and I don't consider him a top-3 point guard in the league today, so yeah, of course he's never led a team to a title.

Chris Paul is in his prime and has only had one playoff run with the Clippers to work with so far. Let's hold off on judging him just yet.

And Rose... the best player of the bunch. Has dominated all of them in head-to-head matchups pretty consistently, especially Paul and Williams. Is the most athletic of them all, is probably the best at getting free a shot of them all. And has the best supporting cast of them all (back-to-back seasons with league's best record).
I don't see it. With the right pieces around him I don't understand why the best point guard the NBA has seen in perhaps a decade or two (assuming he returns to form) can absolutely not win a title as the best player on his team, no questions asked.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:20 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Obviously. I'm not sure why you think these posts are proving me wrong. Guys under the league average for height leading their team to championships. Hm. Well thanks, you're just helping me out. Illini's actually on topic though.
I was just responding to your snippy comment about how Illini conveniently made the height requirement 6'5''

And I don't get how I'm 'off topic' then. I've said that a team who's only star is a PG can't win a title and given decent evidence. I think that's pretty on topic.

Look, I get it. Because I'm not a fan of this league you don't think I can have opinion. You've said it on here once already. Whatever...

Old
05-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
We should be talking about the modern NBA, so let's focus on Williams, CP3, and Rose. I suppose Nash too.

Nash's teams were all-offense, seven seconds or less. That system was never going to win a title. Although it did come quite close. Because Nash was surrounded with good talent based on his strengths. Kind of like Rose.

Deron Williams is never leading a team to a title and I don't consider him a top-3 point guard in the league today, so yeah, of course he's never led a team to a title.

Chris Paul is in his prime and has only had one playoff run with the Clippers to work with so far. Let's hold off on judging him just yet.

And Rose... the best player of the bunch. Has dominated all of them in head-to-head matchups pretty consistently, especially Paul and Williams. Is the most athletic of them all, is probably the best at getting free a shot of them all. And has the best supporting cast of them all (back-to-back seasons with league's best record).
I don't see it. With the right pieces around him I don't understand why the best point guard the NBA has seen in perhaps a decade or two (assuming he returns to form) can absolutely not win a title as the best player on his team, no questions asked.
Why are we starting with the "modern NBA" and when does that start?

Old
05-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Why are we starting with the "modern NBA" and when does that start?
Because there's little point in focusing on a league that was much different (notably in terms of physicality). It's a completely different game now.
As for where that begins, it was a pretty gradual transition so it's hard to say.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Most recent times, the introduction/use of the 3 point line. Shifted emphasis from the huge dominating centers to the guards and 3 point shooters.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Most recent times, the introduction/use of the 3 point line. Shifted emphasis from the huge dominating centers to the guards and 3 point shooters.
That's not a bad point but the game remained much more physical than it is today for pretty much all of Jordan's career (intro of the 3-point line preceded him).

Old
05-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Illinihockey

The game is less physical now but you can zone players now and you couldn't do that in Jordan's era.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

True.

Agree to disagree, I guess. I think the Bulls can win a championship with Rose as their best player, assuming he can return to form. I think his improved shooting will be a huge plus.

I would prefer a more dynamic two to space the floor than Butler (for Rose's benefit), but I'm not sure how practical that will be. Depends mostly on Reinsdorf.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:55 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Scott Hairston likes left handed pitching

Old
05-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
How many teams have won championships with their biggest start as a point guard?

Old
05-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Illinihockey

Anyone betting on the derby? Think I'm going to try to box 5 horses in an exacta. Take a couple of favorites and pair them with 3 long shots, hope it hits.

Old
05-02-2013, 05:05 PM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
True.

Agree to disagree, I guess. I think the Bulls can win a championship with Rose as their best player, assuming he can return to form. I think his improved shooting will be a huge plus.

I would prefer a more dynamic two to space the floor than Butler (for Rose's benefit), but I'm not sure how practical that will be. Depends mostly on Reinsdorf.
I agree with you 100%.

Old
05-02-2013, 05:15 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Anyone betting on the derby? Think I'm going to try to box 5 horses in an exacta. Take a couple of favorites and pair them with 3 long shots, hope it hits.
Absolutely.

Old
05-02-2013, 05:28 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Old
05-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I agree with you 100%.
Nice to hear at least somebody thinks the way I do, ahaha.

People have short memories. Rose was a top-5 player before the injury. If you have a top-5 player, you're in business.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Hinrich out for Game 6. Deng, Gibson, and Robinson are all sick and are gametime decisions.

Meanwhile, Brooklyn is as healthy as can be except for Johnson's plantar fasciitis.

Typical

EDIT: Deng not playing.

Last edited by Chris Hansen: 05-02-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old
05-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Illinihockey

@Schumouse: The latest on Derrick Rose. He told Rachel Nichols he doesn't have muscle memory back...#What?

Rose is such a *****

Old
05-02-2013, 09:38 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Having a HOF center didn't hurt his chances.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:43 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Having a HOF center didn't hurt his chances.
Also being versatility Jesus didn't hurt either.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:47 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Magic Johnson is a top 5 all-time player. Is Rose?

Old
05-02-2013, 09:50 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Noah loses a jump ball to a PG lolz

Old
05-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Magic Johnson is a top 5 all-time player. Is Rose?
Meant top-5 in the game today.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:55 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

I know. I just don't see the Bulls winning a title with a great PG and a collection of good bigs.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Cullksinikers

Say goodbye to the Bulls' season. Rose wants to sit on the bench while guys play sick and hurt. Then you have mentally retarded lapses by Boozer and Gibson all games that thwart a valiant effort. It's not like they were going to beat the Heat. It's just a shame they will blow a 3-1 lead. **** happens!

Closed Thread