HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Philadelphia-Vancouver

Old
04-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Red Haired Shanks

vCash: 500
Philadelphia-Vancouver

*Philly buys-out G Ilya Bryzgalov
- Although this season was not entirely his fault, he has been very inconsistent and hasn't shown himself to be an elite goaltender. Plus with the recent media stories ( him falling asleep) you can tell he does not want to be here. With the team the Flyers have they have a chance at the cup, Luongo can give them a consistent goaltender that can backstop the defense. Mason has not proved himself to be a good goaltender either, and other options such as Bernier and UFA goaltenders are risky and are not as good as Luongo (hate him all you want but the only thing decreasing his value is his contract length, not his production or skill). as it stands right now Luongo is the best option for a team like Philadelphia who has a chance to win the cup next year.
now with my trade

Philadelphia trades:
RW Matt Read,
2013 3rd round draft pick
conditional 2014 2nd round draft pick ( If the Flyers make the playoffs, If not it turns into a 4th round draft pick)

to Vancouver for:
G Roberto Luongo (retains 25% of salary - $1.333 retained)
2013 4th round draft pick
2014 3rd round draft pick

Why Philly does this:
-Luongo is a great goalie, besides 2 games this year against Detroit he has been great. With Luongo the Flyers get a goalie to bolster their defense and steal a couple games. Vancouver was not playing much better than Philly earlier this year, and Luongo played great with a sub par defense in front of him (as a Vancouver and Philly fan i can say vans defense earlier this season was just as bad as the flyers, but Schneider and Luongo were better than Bryzgalov). Luongo's value is low but not completely gone, so getting Couts or Simmonds is out of the question.

Why Van does this:
-Luongo is a #1 goalie, unfortunately Schneider is the #1 in Vancouver. Luongo is a great asset to have but he doesnt to much if he is sitting on the bench.

so what do you tihnk?

Red Haired Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:17 PM
FlyingPhilly

I doubt the Canucks would do this.

I want no part of Luongo's contract. It is too long even with Van retaining salary.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:21 PM
slappipappi

Too much for any team to give up for a contract no one wants.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

No thanks, don't want that contract especially after our last big time contract blew up in our face.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:30 PM
DJOpus

I wouldn't do it as a Canucks fan.

As a Canucks fan, I'd rather buyout Luongo then retain any of his salary.

Also, as with most threads, people assume Luongo has no value because they couldn't extract somewhere between a 1st + Colbrone to 2 x 2nds + Scrivens for him at the deadline...there's still a long way to "no value" and with compliance buyouts making space more available, there should be more options in the summer - the price MAY go up if there is demand.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Devonator

Vancouver, you are in the same boat we are in...we both have awful contracts for our goalies...in Philly, we will be buying ours out and we certainly will not be replacing it with a contract that is just as bad.

Honestly, that should be obvious....I would love to have Lou for the next couple of years but only if he is bought out by Vancouver and we can get him on a much better contract.

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Djp

keep dreaming.....you arent going to get anything for Luongo, unless Vancouver eats a good chunk of his salary.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:39 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
keep dreaming.....you arent going to get anything for Luongo, unless Vancouver eats a good chunk of his salary.
I don't need to dream. The Canucks are a solid team even if they have to give away Ballard + Luongo to get under the cap because we have a goalie that is dependable...having two right now isn't a problem and I love how people teams with zero dependable goalies keep saying that we're screwed (not necessarily you, no idea what team you cheer for).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
Vancouver, you are in the same boat we are in...we both have awful contracts for our goalies...in Philly, we will be buying ours out and we certainly will not be replacing it with a contract that is just as bad.

Honestly, that should be obvious....I would love to have Lou for the next couple of years but only if he is bought out by Vancouver and we can get him on a much better contract.
There is one major difference. Luongo is actually a good goalie while your goalie is a mess.

In fact, the Canucks have two top 10 goalies (IMO) while Philly has none, so it is a very different situation.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:41 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I don't need to dream. The Canucks are a solid team even if they have to give away Ballard + Luongo to get under the cap because we have a goalie that is dependable...having two right now isn't a problem and I love how people teams with zero dependable goalies keep saying that we're screwed (not necessarily you, no idea what team you cheer for).
I don't think anyone said you're screwed at goaltender position. They're just saying that Luongo is pretty untradable.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:38 PM
kihei

vCash: 50
These Luongo threads are like dandelions. The mods zap them, and they pop right back up.

Can't see Philly doing this, given their recent experience with Ilya. At the moment, the market for Luongo seems virtually non-existent.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Devonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post

There is one major difference. Luongo is actually a good goalie while your goalie is a mess.

In fact, the Canucks have two top 10 goalies (IMO) while Philly has none, so it is a very different situation.
That is possibly true but we still cannot replace one awful contract with another...I like Lou...I think he is a solid goalie but that contract is an absolute albratross for you guys!

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:05 PM
The Couturier Effect

No GM in their right mind would give up anything for Luongo. That's easily one of the worst contracts ever. He's getting bought out just like Bryz.

The Couturier Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:01 AM
Homegrown Kings
ft. Philly & Lumbus

I don't understand why you made the draft picks like that.

If Homer is going to buy-out Bryzgalov, I don't see why he'd take on a nearly identical contract. Plus Philadelphia just extended Mason. He's terrible, but it looks like they'll be trying to roll with Bryz-Mason next season.

Would be more interested in Schneider on the Flyers.

Homegrown Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:03 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Can anyone explain why Luongo wont get amnestied? Canucks clearly arent going to keep him, his contract is an albatross and canucks have no takers. Any GM who is interested should just wait till they buy him out

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:15 AM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Can anyone explain why Luongo wont get amnestied? Canucks clearly arent going to keep him, his contract is an albatross and canucks have no takers. Any GM who is interested should just wait till they buy him out
James Duthie is certainly doing his best to make this scenario come true. But if you're George McPhee or Dave Nonis or whoever, and you play the waiting game, and then Luongo goes to the Flyers for some prospects/picks or whatever, aren't you going to feel like you effed up a little? Lets say that Roberto Luongo is a top-10 goaltender. Lets also say that you believe he will still be a top-10 goaltender in 4 years (which isn't unreasonable). Isn't paying 5.3m/season, (which is less than the going rate for a top-flight goaltender) for four years and then buying out the remaining 8-million or so worth it if you're a franchise who can afford it *that doesn't already have one?
*Edit

Edit #2: I know Matt Read isn't just some prospect. He's good. I am speaking in hypotheticals.

Last edited by Al Swearengen: 04-16-2013 at 02:26 AM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
That's easily one of the worst contracts ever.
How would you describe the contract of Bryz then? Luongo's contract length is awful but at least he's a legit NHL starter currently unlike the other guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Can anyone explain why Luongo wont get amnestied?
Canucks don't have as deep pockets as the Flyers.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:55 AM
PhillyCurt12

How about:
Philly Buys out Bryz
Van buys out Lu
Philly signs Lu
Van signs Bryz

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
How about:
Philly Buys out Bryz
Van buys out Lu
Philly signs Lu
Van signs Bryz
No Bryz is terrible while Luongo is still elite. Such idiocy in this thread it's unbearable.

Horvat2Virtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:07 AM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
How would you describe the contract of Bryz then? Luongo's contract length is awful but at least he's a legit NHL starter currently unlike the other guy.
Bryz is overpaid, but he is ABSOLUTELY a starting NHL goalie. He's been very low on the list of Flyers' problems this year.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
How about:
Philly Buys out Bryz
Van buys out Lu
Philly signs Lu
Van signs Bryz
Yeah if Philly can get to Luongo first and Vancouver can get to Bryz once each other is bought out any of the 29 teams out there could sign them of course alot of team are set in Goal and besides if you think that your going to sign Bryz or Lu any cheaper then they are now your just kidding yourself.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:38 AM
tsujimoto74

Why would Philly buy out Bryz only to take on an similarly awful contract in Luongo?

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:54 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
Bryz is overpaid, but he is ABSOLUTELY a starting NHL goalie. He's been very low on the list of Flyers' problems this year.
Depending on who you ask, but I absolutely agree.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:00 AM
SteenMachine

Why on Earth would you get out from under Bryzgalov's contract just to find a worse one... hey while they're at it, flip Mason for DiPietro so they can secure the injured backup role.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:08 AM
blankall

It's the swapping of 3rd/4th round picks that really makes Philly want to jump all over this...

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:13 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Read isn't moving.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote