HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big decisions this off season, what will our 23 man roster be this fall?

Old
04-17-2013, 01:22 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Big decisions this off season, what will our 23 man roster be this fall?

http://www.capgeek.com/jets
http://www.capgeek.com/payrolls/?charts_year=2013
http://www.capgeek.com/jets/cap-calculator/

16 forwards, 11 D (including Trouba) right now. Usually most teams will carry 13 and 8. Also consider prospects such as Scheifele, O'Dell, and even Lowry making a push for the big club next year. I think we're going to see massive turnover this summer. We have the least amount of players signed through next year, and obviously the most cap space.

UFAs

I can see Miettenen, Antropov, Wellwood, Meech, Gagnon, and Hainsey not returning. To me our top UFA to re-sign is Clitsome by far. He's a jack of all trades, and we can probably retain him with a good value contract. Meech may stay with a 2-way, I have no idea what they're going to do with Gagnon. Montoya seems like a decent backup, we should retain him. I'd love to keep Hainsey, but I don't think it is happening. Santorelli is showing promise, we may keep him.

RFAs

I can see them all returning. Wheeler, Little, Bogosian, Redmond, Postma, and Kulda are essential to our plan, either on our roster or as trade bait. Peluso and Tangradi are not as essential, they may stay or be trade bait. I can't see Chevy not re-signing them however, they both have value signed to the team.

Trades

I'd love to trade Buff for Simmonds, and get a draft pick as well. If we can retain Hainsey, I think trading Stuart is another good option. I just don't see the point of keeping him, his game never improves. I wouldn't mind seeing Scheifele instead of one of Tangradi/Santorelli, and eventually he switches with Jokinen. Or maybe we trade Thorburn to make room for Scheifele some time into the season. You also have to consider injuries.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Simmonds
Tangradi - Burmistrov - Santorelli
Wright - Slater - Thorburn

Peluso

Hainsey - Bogosian
Enstrom - Redmond
Clitsome - Trouba

Kulda - Postma

Pavelec
Montoya

Dropped:

Miettenen, Antropov, Gagnon, Wellwood, Meech

Traded:

Byfuglien, Stuart

Last edited by allan5oh: 04-17-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: lots of dumbass speeling mistakes
allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Most teams carry 14 fwd, 7 d actually.

I'd be quite upset if that was the roster we ran next season with. We'll see. I'll post some things later maybe.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:30 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Most teams carry 14 fwd, 7 d actually.
Probably, it's not a big deal either way. With our RFA D situation I can see us using 8 on our roster next year. I can't see us letting both Hainsey and Clitsome walk.

Quote:
I'd be quite upset if that was the roster we ran next season with. We'll see. I'll post some things later maybe.
I'll be interested to read your opinion. The problem is if we want to keep the RFAs (which we don't need to do), we need to let most of the UFAs go. I'm also not interested in the status quo.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:34 PM
JetsTrueNorth

Buff is slowly playing his way off the team. Look for him to be dealt before the draft.

And this is a good thing!!!

JetsTrueNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:44 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Can we make NHL 13 trades or do they have to be real ones? I bet I could get Stamkos for some picks...

My big thing is I really don't know what to do with Joker...

A couple options...

LLW
Kane/Scheifele/???
Tangradi-(Lowry?)/Burmi/Santorelli
Peluso/Slater/Wright

Fill the ??? with a trade, Buff for a 2nd line RW and a young top 4 D.

OR
LLW
Kane/Scheif/Burmi
Lowry/Antro/Santorelli
Tangradi/Slater/Wright

I think Schief will be good for Kane's game, and another fast guy to play with Kane in Burmi can only be a good thing. Burmi who is a possession guy, Kane, who is a bash, crash, shoot first guy, and Schief who is a playmaker gives us a lot of skill sets on that line, and they could turn out really successful. Antro is back at a discount, I think. He's a solid, reliable 3rd line fwd.

Then I think you trade Buff, and your d looks like...
Enstrom Bogo ???? ???? as your top 4...
And then Redmond (assuming he is at this years level by september) and Trouba on the bottom pair, With Clitsome being generally in the mix.

One of the ??? accounts for a return in a trade for Buff. Younger D, who is solid, not as explosive, but reliable, the other question mark is either a resigned Hainsey, or Clitsome. Arrange top 4 as you see fit. Clitsome's spot is subject to be stolen by a flourishing Trouba or Redmond at any point.

I think moving Buff for someone exciting on wing and a 3-4 D would be great, but I also think we need to give Burmi another solid shot at top 6 with talented linemates in Kane and Schief, because his upside is theoretically there, and I'd like to know for sure, before we acquire someone to fill that 2nd line spot through trade, or before we let antro go because Burmi is our for sure 3rd line C instead of in the top 6.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
First line stays status quo.

Second line is the muddiest water to see through. Lots of factors:

-is Scheifele ready or does he start the year in the AHL?
-does Wellwood get resigned or do we pay a lot more for a bigger player with similar production by trading some D or signing UFAs?
-is Jokinen still awful next season? The definition of "ready" for Scheifele depends a lot on Jokinen's level of play as well.

Third line and fourth line don't even really need to be tinkered with much I don't think. We have guys that don't produce much but all bring a different element. Versatility is underrated around here sometimes I find.

The defense and Pavs basically are what they are. Hainsey will likely go, and the search for Bogo's long time partner will begin.

LLW
Kane-Jokinen-???
Tangradi-Burmistrov-Santiarelli
Wright-Slater-Peluso
Thorburn

Enstrom-Buff
Kulda-Bogo
Clitsome-Redmond
Postma

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:51 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

What would I want or what would I like? Two different things.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
wpgsilver

vCash: 942
Way to many unknowns AFAIC.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:15 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
I really doubt we will see much movement.

Up front:
LLW
Kane-Olli-?
Tanger-Burmi-?
Wright-Slater-Peluso

O'Dell, Scheifele and Lowry could be in play for the '?' spots. A UFA at #2RW would be nice though.

Thorburn will probably be an extra forward although I'd rather it be someone like Welly that can play up or down the lineup.

On D:
Toby-Buff
Bogo-Redmond
Stu-Postma (or Trouba)

Kulda and Clitsome could be in play.

I don't see Chevy blowing things up. I can see him letting the young guys grow.

Kane and Burmi led all forwards in TOI yesterday. Bogo led all D. That is going to be the foundation moving forward.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:20 PM
jetsfan8

people in this coty really confuse me

players go from untouchable to first class ticket out of town within days
i think this city is bipolar.....

jetsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:20 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
What would I want or what would I like? Two different things.
Let's hear both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Way to many unknowns AFAIC.
That's the fun part!

Old
04-17-2013, 02:21 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
You guys still pencilling in Joki as second line centre?

Truck, Redmond as a second pairing D man? The guy did play okay at first but in the last 5-8 games he was barely okay and really looked like a 6-7 D man. On the plus side I like that he plays a simple game, passes the puck up the ice efficiently without turning it over. Like Postma I think he still has trouble in his own end, both he and Postma need more weight and strength.

Thought (before last nights game) that Hainsey deserved to come back.

Last edited by sipowicz: 04-17-2013 at 02:30 PM.
sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:24 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Not saying what I want to happen, just what I think will happen.

Jets are stuck with Joker and I don't know where else they can slot him. Burmi is better at 5 on 5 scoring and better defensively, so he should be better suited for #2C or #3C. No idea what Noel will do with them though.

I don't see Redmond as a #2D either, but he was tried there last year and he looks to have a steadier game than Postma. I wouldn't bank on a UFA filling that hole. I like Redmond, but a lot of people forget that he was getting press box time when he was hurt. It will be interesting to see what happens with the D. I'd be all for them resigning Clitsome, especially if they do trade Buff.

Last edited by truck: 04-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old
04-17-2013, 02:27 PM
EpicGingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Our only other real option is Burmi.

That does actually sound enticing given his play recently and the fact that Kane couldn't possibly score less with Burmistrov than Jokinen.

I hope if we were to trade Buff (which doesn't seem likely at this point in time) we'd get more than just Simmonds and a pick. I'd rather have another half decent prospect than gamble with a pick, unless it was a 1st, but even then I'd rather get another player.

EpicGingy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:27 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Give it a shot. You're one guy that I'm really looking forward to seeing your opinion. Are you game?

Let's start with Jokinen, where do you see him fitting in?

Old
04-17-2013, 02:28 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
First line stays status quo.

Second line is the muddiest water to see through. Lots of factors:

-is Scheifele ready or does he start the year in the AHL?
-does Wellwood get resigned or do we pay a lot more for a bigger player with similar production by trading some D or signing UFAs?
-is Jokinen still awful next season? The definition of "ready" for Scheifele depends a lot on Jokinen's level of play as well.

Third line and fourth line don't even really need to be tinkered with much I don't think. We have guys that don't produce much but all bring a different element. Versatility is underrated around here sometimes I find.

The defense and Pavs basically are what they are. Hainsey will likely go, and the search for Bogo's long time partner will begin.

LLW
Kane-Jokinen-???
Tangradi-Burmistrov-Santiarelli
Wright-Slater-Peluso
Thorburn

Enstrom-Buff
Kulda-Bogo
Clitsome-Redmond
Postma

Your lines are pretty much spot on, I think this team needs change(s) and they will come. I think they trade Buff(I am 50/50, I'd be all over it for an overpayment) for a right wing to play with Kane on the second line(Simmonds or Yakupov(pipe dream) or someone else). I think Trouba will be on the team(hopefully), if Scheifele is ready then the second might look like Kane-Scheifele-Simmonds/Yakupov(just guesses). If Scheifele is not ready than Jokinen will do 2nd and 3rd line duties.

Of course if they make the playoffs and go on a long playoff run things can change(we make the playoffs and Buff is our best player).

Last edited by viper0220: 04-17-2013 at 02:33 PM.
viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:28 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

I'll quote myself from the Tangradi thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
For me, there is no question that I'd get rid of Thorburn. He is soooo replaceable now, it's not even funny.

I know Tangradi and Santorelli looked good lately but you HAVE to remember that we're bound to Jokinen.

I'd keep Slater, Peluso, Antropov and Wright. + Jokinen. MAYBE also Wellwood. But only if there are no better options out of camp or via UFA market.

That leaves no spots left for Tangradi and Santorelli.

My 4th line would be Wright - Slater - Peluso and I think this could be one of the best 4th lines in the league when they start to click with each other. They can generate offense (for a 4th line) and are sound defensively + have a FO expert in the middle.

If the first two lines have pretty much set spots for LLW, Kane and Scheifele, you wonder what we're going to do with Jokinen. I doubt someone wants to trade for him after his worst NHL season and there is no way we buy him out with one year remaining. So that slots him probably in the 3rd line - where else?

LLW
Kane Scheifele 2nd line RW
Burmistrov Jokinen 3rd line RW
Wright Slater Peluso

Get a proven 2nd line RW for Kane and Scheifele. I'm sure that's the first point on the list for Chevy this summer (after resigning our own players, of course). I'm pretty optimistic that this will happen, via trade or UFA signing, idk. I'd try to go hard after Nathan Horton. He played a bad season and will be motivated to bounce back on his new contract (with whoever it will be). His play also let's our chance of signing him grow quite a lot as a lot of contenders will think twice (and I think so will Boston). He's earning 5,5M this season. Give him 5.5/5/4/3.5 over the next 4 years. Makes him still pretty tradeable in 2-3 years (when hes 30+). I have no doubt that he will bounce back to a 25G25A-ish player.

I'd dress the 3rd line RW spot within our franchise. We'd have a couple of players fighting for it.

Ladd Little Wheeler - 1A line
Kane Scheifele Horton - 1B line
Burmistrov Jokinen Lowry O'Dell Antropov (maybe also Wellwood) (figure out who plays which position by yourself)
Wright Slater Peluso

Why Antropov or Wellwood over Tangradi/Santorelli?

Because both Antropov AND Wellwood bring something to our lineup, that Santorelli and Tangradi dont. Antropov is our only really good player in the crease, screening goalies, getting really dirty goals and deflecting pucks. He still is useful and a player that can be used from 2nd to 4th line in pretty much every position. Welwood can be productive, too (as we've seen lately again). Both are more valuable for us than Tangradi and Santorelli, we just will have enough of those kind of players already under contract or in our own depth chart.

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:38 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Give it a shot. You're one guy that I'm really looking forward to seeing your opinion. Are you game?

Let's start with Jokinen, where do you see him fitting in?
Tough call, first off I want him GONE, but were stuck with him one more year, he can't be anywhere near the top two lines and it looks like Burmi is the third line centre, playing him on the fourth doesn't make sense with a $4.5M/season contract. With Scheff probably making the team next season he will need to either be on the second or third line.

The only option would be moving Burmi to wing and Jokinen playing no higher than on the 3rd line.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:

Truck, Redmond as a second pairing D man? The guy did play okay at first but in the last 5-8 games he was barely okay and really looked like a 6-7 D man. On the plus side I like that he plays a simple game, passes the puck up the ice efficiently without turning it over. Like Postma I think he still has trouble in his own end, both he and Postma need more weight and strength.

Thought (before last nights game) that Hainsey deserved to come back.
Lol what we want to do with Jokinen and "it is what it is" are two different things.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:43 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Wonder why nobody is suggesting moving Olli Jokinen to fill Hainsey's spot on D.

I mean he has a lot of experience playing the point on the powerplay.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:44 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Wonder why nobody is suggesting moving Olli Jokinen to fill Hainsey's spot on D.

Because I don't think anyone would trade his 2nd pairing D for a 1 year Olli Jokinen coming of his worst NHL season at 4.5 M.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:49 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
I'll quote myself from the Tangradi thread:
Instead of Horton, let's tell Chevy to add Iggy!

Jets could afford him. Plus it is a quick flight to and from Calgary and the Jets are on the up-swing, so he'd have a chance at playoffs.

Kane-Jokinen-Iginla

Old
04-17-2013, 02:50 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Jokinen

Trouble is he does a poor job of that as well, tough to play the point on the PP when you don't handle the puck particularly well.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:52 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Trouble is he does a poor job of that as well, tough to play the point on the PP when you don't handle the puck particularly well.
My goodness. Olli on D would be such a nightmare. I shouldn't kid about such things.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:59 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Instead of Horton, let's tell Chevy to add Iggy!

Jets could afford him. Plus it is a quick flight to and from Calgary and the Jets are on the up-swing, so he'd have a chance at playoffs.

Kane-Jokinen-Iginla
I think Iginla will win the cup this year with the Pens (no matter if I like it or not) and re-sign with the Flames.