HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Phil Kessel vs. Jeff Carter

View Poll Results: Phil Kessel vs. Jeff Carter
Phil Kessel 135 69.59%
Jeff Carter 59 30.41%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2013, 11:45 AM
  #26
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I don't know that either is faster than another. We've seen Carter take two strides and blow past people all year. He's a more dynamic skater than he's getting credit for her. I will argue that Kessel is the superior puck carrier at speed, though, because unless it's a breakaway or clear lane, Carter rarely lugs the puck at full speed.
Kessel is one of the fastest players in the league... the only players that are beating him in a race are guys like Grabner

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:47 AM
  #27
CanadienShark
Registered User
 
CanadienShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Here's the thing though... Carter very cleraly isn't faster than Kessel. Despite what either fanbase may say, neither is great defensively regardless of any strides made recently. Kessel has the more consistent offensive output.

...the outcome is Kessel>Carter basically every time.
Here's the thing though... you're wrong. Carter is pretty effective without the puck - he's a better two way player than Phil. His speed is good. He's a centre. He's got size. He does have things going for him that you neglected to mention.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:52 AM
  #28
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,329
vCash: 500
I think it's close. When Carter is on he is a great player but, despite his early slump this year, I see Kessel as a more consistent player. Some stretches Carter just looks like he's going through the motions and then suddenly he looks unstoppable.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:56 AM
  #29
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Here's the thing though... you're wrong. Carter is pretty effective without the puck - he's a better two way player than Phil. His speed is good. He's a centre. He's got size. He does have things going for him that you neglected to mention.
He doesn't though.... Carter isn't some kind of elite 2-way player. You're both underrating Kessel's 2-way play and over exaggerating Carter's 2-way play (and skating for that matter) to make it seem like it's either closer than it is or in Carter's favour in any way.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:00 PM
  #30
msrulo
Registered User
 
msrulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 류경6
Country: North Korea
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Obviously TML fans will give a homer vote to Kessel, but I'm going with Carter here. 24 goals is not easy to come by.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:04 PM
  #31
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Obviously TML fans will give a homer vote to Kessel, but I'm going with Carter here. 24 goals is not easy to come by.
43 points is easier than 29?

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:05 PM
  #32
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Obviously TML fans will give a homer vote to Kessel, but I'm going with Carter here. 24 goals is not easy to come by.
I wouldn't call it a homer vote at all. Kessel is an elite offensive player. The way some posters try to diminish his value because he doesn't play an elite defensive game is baffling. Ovechkin and Stamkos are not exactly great defensive players and for that matter while Carter is better defensively he's not great in his own end either. The Leafs are 5th in the East and playing great hockey. Kessel is the offensive catalyst for the team. Time to give credit where credit is due.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:21 PM
  #33
Brad Doty
Moderator
\_(ツ)_/
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 17,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
43 points is easier than 29?
You're being obtuse here.

Chris Kunitz has 48. Is he better than both?

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:23 PM
  #34
Brad Doty
Moderator
\_(ツ)_/
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 17,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I wouldn't call it a homer vote at all. Kessel is an elite offensive player. The way some posters try to diminish his value because he doesn't play an elite defensive game is baffling. Ovechkin and Stamkos are not exactly great defensive players and for that matter while Carter is better defensively he's not great in his own end either. The Leafs are 5th in the East and playing great hockey. Kessel is the offensive catalyst for the team. Time to give credit where credit is due.
Agree wholeheartedly. Kessel has earned his praise. And while the Kings are 4th in the West, and while Carter's goals have been in large part a reason for that success, he may not be "driving" the offense the same way Kessel is.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:40 PM
  #35
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
You're being obtuse here.

Chris Kunitz has 48. Is he better than both?
No but I think my point was pretty obvious. The guy said Kessel is getting homer votes because Carter has 24 goals which is amazing while ignoring the fact that Kessel has 20~ more points than him and still has a good amount of goals.

Oh and Kessel obviously isn't being carried by someone else on the Leafs like Kunitz.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:47 PM
  #36
msrulo
Registered User
 
msrulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 류경6
Country: North Korea
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
43 points is easier than 29?
You haven't seen Carter play, have you? You're completely ignoring Carter's possession play.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:49 PM
  #37
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Kadri and Lupul?



You haven't seen Carter play, have you?
He doesn't play with Kadri or Lupul and hasn't all year... and then you follow it up with I haven't watched Carter play....

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:50 PM
  #38
Dwaynes Johnson
The Peoples Champ
 
Dwaynes Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Kadri and Lupul?
they don't play on the same line

JVR-Bozak-Kessel

I voted Kessel, but its actually closer then some might admit. (as an all around player that is)

Dwaynes Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:52 PM
  #39
msrulo
Registered User
 
msrulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 류경6
Country: North Korea
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
He doesn't play with Kadri or Lupul and hasn't all year... and then you follow it up with I haven't watched Carter play....
Depends what you ment by "carrying a team." Kunitz actually has an insane shooting percentage. He is not playing as well because Crosby is one of the best possession players in the league.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:55 PM
  #40
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Depends what you ment by "carrying a team." Kunitz actually has an insane shooting percentage.
Kunitz is playing with Crosby who was on pace for 127 point season. That's what was meant by being carried.

If you're talking about the team is general, Kessel leads the team in points and is 1 back of the lead for goals.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:59 PM
  #41
Brad Doty
Moderator
\_(ツ)_/
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 17,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
No but I think my point was pretty obvious. The guy said Kessel is getting homer votes because Carter has 24 goals which is amazing while ignoring the fact that Kessel has 20~ more points than him and still has a good amount of goals.

Oh and Kessel obviously isn't being carried by someone else on the Leafs like Kunitz.
I'm sorry for even bringing Kunitz up...didn't mean for it to turn into a total side conversation

point noted. I just want to point out that lack of assists is on Carter's linemates as well. Goals aren't explicitly 'worth more' than assists as obviously that means he's on the ice for production, but there's something to be said for Carter potting goals with his linemates helping out minimally (and no, it's not that he's a selfish player )

I'm even ok with this poll being relatively one-sided as long as we stay away from the "ainec" garbage, because it's certainly pretty close.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:00 PM
  #42
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone
 
Fred Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,145
vCash: 500
Kessel.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:01 PM
  #43
con310*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
You're being obtuse here.

Chris Kunitz has 48. Is he better than both?
Huge difference, Kessel makes offense all on his own and is making his line mates better.

con310* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:02 PM
  #44
con310*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Kadri and Lupul?
Is this a joke post or are you really that clueless?

con310* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:09 PM
  #45
kingdok
HFBoards Sponsor
 
kingdok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
No but I think my point was pretty obvious. The guy said Kessel is getting homer votes because Carter has 24 goals which is amazing while ignoring the fact that Kessel has 20~ more points than him and still has a good amount of goals.

Oh and Kessel obviously isn't being carried by someone else on the Leafs like Kunitz.
14 is closer to 10 then 20. I'll accept 15~ though.

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:11 PM
  #46
BudMovin*
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Kessel only looks good because he plays with the almighty Bozak.

  Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:20 PM
  #47
Hampe
The Hampster
 
Hampe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Charleston, S.C.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,474
vCash: 500
I'd take Carter just to get him off of the Kings. That guy is hell to play against.

So, yeah. Carter.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:14 PM
  #48
msrulo
Registered User
 
msrulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 류경6
Country: North Korea
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad420 View Post
Is this a joke post or are you really that clueless?
I misread the post. Happens sometimes. I still choose Carter over his possession play.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:19 PM
  #49
Leafidelity
___________
 
Leafidelity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,195
vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
oh, Carter is a true 40 goal scorer as well, something Phil has not done even though some Leaf fans claim that he is a "40 goal scorer"
Let's just use "ppg player" then.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:33 PM
  #50
Brad Doty
Moderator
\_(ツ)_/
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 17,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Let's just use "ppg player" then.
Well, if we're going by that criteria, who are the ppg players in the NHL today?

Who are the 40 goal scorers?

Which one is the more exclusive list?

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.