HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: I'm moving back to MTL!

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2005, 07:39 PM
DJyellow

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
OT: I'm moving back to MTL!

I've been saving my 1000th post for something worthwhile. I figure this would be a good occasion...

I've been in Kitchener/Waterloo for the past 4 years and half, and i'm finally moving back (although with my parents for a while) at the end of May for a new job.

I feel bad leaving my nice penthouse apartment and my friends I have made here, but all my childhood friends are here, not to mention my girlfriend... and of course, the HABS!

I'm so excited!

Go HABS GO!

Old
04-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Madevilz

welcome home

viet powa

Old
04-25-2005, 07:46 PM
DJyellow

thanks, although it's the wrong flag, but anyways...

by, the way, I realize that i'm not a 1000 yet (i thought i was at 999)

Old
04-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Madevilz

yeah I know

Old
04-25-2005, 08:47 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

I'm working on a return of my own. It's looking more and more like a choice between Montreal and Sydney, Australia. Both options are firming up.

Old
04-25-2005, 09:54 PM
DJyellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanMontrealExpat
I'm working on a return of my own. It's looking more and more like a choice between Montreal and Sydney, Australia. Both options are firming up.
I would consider staying in Japan between those 3 choices... I'm assuming it's job-related as well

Old
04-25-2005, 10:46 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow
I would consider staying in Japan between those 3 choices... I'm assuming it's job-related as well
I'd consider it, and my wife (Japanese) and I are happy here, but I have some student debts to pay, and post-doc money ain't cutting it. My job prospects in Montreal and Sydney are faculty positions that pay better, will provide me with the chance to work with students (students here don't speak English much and my level of Japanese is not sufficient to direct them), and probably will lead to a start-up company. So the jump to either place is fairly well justified.

Old
04-26-2005, 01:35 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
I'd consider it, and my wife (Japanese) and I are happy here, but I have some student debts to pay, and post-doc money ain't cutting it. My job prospects in Montreal and Sydney are faculty positions that pay better, will provide me with the chance to work with students (students here don't speak English much and my level of Japanese is not sufficient to direct them), and probably will lead to a start-up company. So the jump to either place is fairly well justified.
Teach what? If you head to concordia, I have a ton of buddies that are going to John Molson at Concordia, althogh I am going into engineering and will be all alone as I am the only one of my friends that has ever had want to be challenged mathematically.

Old
04-26-2005, 02:50 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe
Teach what? If you head to concordia, I have a ton of buddies that are going to John Molson at Concordia, althogh I am going into engineering and will be all alone as I am the only one of my friends that has ever had want to be challenged mathematically.
I don't know yet what I would teach, but I foresee an appointment to both the dept. of surgery at Université de Montréal and computer engineering at Ecole Polytechnique. My research currently deals with neurosurgery simulation, and that's what I'd like to continue doing, eventually branching out into other types of surgery. I can teach image processing & machine vision (especially for medical applications), computer graphics, numerical methods, programming in general, and eventually haptics (stimulating the sense of touch). For the time being though, I'd rather teach class as little as possible and be a thesis advisor as much as possible. To me, research is more fun than teaching. But teaching may be a "necessary evil" to attract students to work with me... I also want to put together a start-up in my field of research.

Edit: if you eventually decide to do a Master's or a Ph.D. in surgery simulation or robotic/computer-guided surgery, feel free to do a search on my name, Michel Audette. I'm becoming fairly well-connected (I have some projects lined up with this company
http://www.meti.com/
as well as this company
http://www.intuitivesurgical.com/
... as well as plan on making the CHUM a Canadian hotbed in these fields, so there's a good likelihood of some very interesting and possibly high-profile projects. Make sure that you keep your grades up though: if I can help it at all, I plan on being fairly selective about grad students . Also, any student working with me gets an outlet to Japan, should they choose to do so, for summer or post-doctoral fellowships and the like...

Last edited by VirginiaMtlExpat: 04-26-2005 at 03:28 AM.
Old
04-26-2005, 03:59 AM
Disco Volante

Japanese, Vietnamese... You guys wouldn't happen to have some cousins or siblings... I mean young adults, flexible and depraved?

Old
04-26-2005, 04:02 AM
Disco Volante

Quote:
if I can help it at all, I plan on being fairly selective about grad students . Also, any student working with me gets an outlet to Japan, should they choose to do so, for summer or post-doctoral fellowships and the like...
You wouldn't be in need of a smart ass PhDing in semiotics now would you?

Seriously, I'd love to go study/teach in east-Asia, I need to find some Universities with film studies programs...

Old
04-26-2005, 04:03 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Japanese, Vietnamese... You guys wouldn't happen to have some cousins or siblings... I mean young adults, flexible and depraved?
I'm French Canadian. My Japanese wife's only sister is married, and the two have no cousins at all. If you come to Japan, you wouldn't have to look far to find what you're looking for, however: Westerners are well-received here, and mixed couples are fairly common. Chris Rock used to joke that being a Westerner here is like being a woman with big ***s.

Old
04-26-2005, 04:07 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
You wouldn't be in need of a smart ass PhDing in semiotics now would you?

Seriously, I'd love to go study/teach in east-Asia, I need to find some Universities with film studies programs...
Too bad you're not in science. I would recommend the JSPS fellowship if you were. As for film, tough call for me to make, and probably a tough sell as well. Unfortunately for you, I'm not on familiar terms with Kurosawa or Miyazaki.

Old
04-26-2005, 04:09 AM
Disco Volante

Quote:
I'm French Canadian. My Japanese wife's only sister is married, and the two have no cousins at all. If you come to Japan, you wouldn't have to look far to find what you're looking for, however: Westerners are well-received here, and mixed couples are fairly common. Chris Rock used to joke that being a Westerner here is like being a woman with big ***s.
I need one with a VERY open mind. I know a few chinese girls and euhm,... they think I'm weird.

Edit : and I'm "well-received" mostly everywhere... I mean, I'm not as hot as ChillyWilly, but I'm decent.

Old
04-26-2005, 06:57 AM
mcphee

Quote:
I don't know yet what I would teach, but I foresee an appointment to both the dept. of surgery at Université de Montréal and computer engineering at Ecole Polytechnique. My research currently deals with neurosurgery simulation, and that's what I'd like to continue doing, eventually branching out into other types of surgery. I can teach image processing & machine vision (especially for medical applications), computer graphics, numerical methods, programming in general, and eventually haptics (stimulating the sense of touch). For the time being though, I'd rather teach class as little as possible and be a thesis advisor as much as possible. To me, research is more fun than teaching. But teaching may be a "necessary evil" to attract students to work with me... I also want to put together a start-up in my field of research.

Edit: if you eventually decide to do a Master's or a Ph.D. in surgery simulation or robotic/computer-guided surgery, feel free to do a search on my name, Michel Audette. I'm becoming fairly well-connected (I have some projects lined up with this company
http://www.meti.com/
as well as this company
http://www.intuitivesurgical.com/
... as well as plan on making the CHUM a Canadian hotbed in these fields, so there's a good likelihood of some very interesting and possibly high-profile projects. Make sure that you keep your grades up though: if I can help it at all, I plan on being fairly selective about grad students . Also, any student working with me gets an outlet to Japan, should they choose to do so, for summer or post-doctoral fellowships and the like...
Surgery simulation and robotic /computer-guided surgery is ok for a hobby or a summer job, but c'mon JME, you're gonna have to grow up someday and contribute to society. I suggest you come home and get a job where you can help people, maybe a Walmart greeter, think of how good you'll feel wishing people a good day 2000 times a day. Image processing and machine vision,sheesh, talk about taking the easy way out.

Old
04-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Surgery simulation and robotic /computer-guided surgery is ok for a hobby or a summer job, but c'mon JME, you're gonna have to grow up someday and contribute to society. I suggest you come home and get a job where you can help people, maybe a Walmart greeter, think of how good you'll feel wishing people a good day 2000 times a day. Image processing and machine vision,sheesh, talk about taking the easy way out.
McPhee, you must be kidding. With skills like that, I'm sure JME could even aspire to a mechanic's job at Canadian Tire.

I must say, JME's field of expertise is enough to make your head spin. The good news is, he can cure that!

BTW, I checked out JME's web site. How's this for a conversation starter :Level-set Surface Segmentation and Fast Cortical Range Image Tracking for Computing Intrasurgical Deformations ? As Normand, my mechanic, would say : "I know just what you mean".

And before completely hijacking this thread : Welcome back home DJyellow. You're gonna love this quaint little burg we call Montréal.

Last edited by Gros Bill: 04-26-2005 at 08:15 AM.
Old
04-26-2005, 08:11 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
McPhee, you must be kidding. With skills like that, I'm sure JME could even aspire to a mechanic's job at Canadian Tire.

I must say, JME's field of expertise is enough to make your head spin. The good news is, he can cure that!

BTW, I checked out JME's web site. How's this for a conversation starter :Level-set Surface Segmentation and Fast Cortical Range Image Tracking for Computing Intrasurgical Deformations ? As Normand, my mechanic, would say : "I know just what you mean".

And before completely hijacking this thread : Welcome back home DJyellow. You're gonna love this quaint little burg we call Montréal.
Classic McPhee and Gros Bill.
I can't work as a mechanic or for Wal-Mart in Quebec: I know the proper French words for most auto parts, whereas Quebec mechanics have to be able to insert the English word in a French sentence, and I am decidedly anti-union, which makes me employable by WalMart anywhere but in Quebec.
Edit: anyhow, neither of you has grown up, so don't tell me to grow up.
Edit2: GB, for what it's worth, that's probably my old website. The following is my new one, although it's not much up to date either http://staff.aist.go.jp/m.audette/ .

Last edited by VirginiaMtlExpat: 04-26-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old
04-27-2005, 06:05 PM
DJyellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
thanks! And you know what, I'm pretty anxious. I miss the food and lifestyle. In Kitchener, I'm pretty much eating for survival... in Montreal, i'll actually get to savour my food will all the variety...

and, although I have a gf, it will be nice to check out the women in MTL... they are much more fashionable... over here, everybody dresses up at the Gap or American Eagle

Old
04-28-2005, 09:57 AM
growne

I'm the opposite, on Sunday I'm moving back to gloomy Kitchener/Waterloo from beautiful Montreal. I didn't even get a chance to watch the Habs during my coop here =(

Old
04-28-2005, 06:15 PM
DJyellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growne
I'm the opposite, on Sunday I'm moving back to gloomy Kitchener/Waterloo from beautiful Montreal. I didn't even get a chance to watch the Habs during my coop here =(
Well, K/W ain't that bad, I mean I voluntarily left MTL to go to K/W 4 years ago... I like the city, and I will miss part of it.

btw, if you need a nice bachelor apartment, let me know

Closed Thread