HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hump-Day Headlines: Getting a Grip on Grabovski

Old
04-17-2013, 11:19 AM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Hump-Day Headlines: Getting a Grip on Grabovski

Last spring, just before the deadline, rumours abounded regarding “unofficial” interest in the Leaf’s soon-to-be unrestricted free agent second-line centre.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/...p-on-grabovski

WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:40 AM
pooleboy

grabo woulda been paid 6+ mill on the open market. people forget about his 30 goal seasons and stick to the "what have you done for me lately approach" thats okay, but its just annoying everyone coming up with random stats to prove he isn't worth the 5.5 but when he signed it was market value if not less.

i think grabo will get traded but his contract is where its suppose to be.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:47 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
grabo woulda been paid 6+ mill on the open market. people forget about his 30 goal seasons and stick to the "what have you done for me lately approach" thats okay, but its just annoying everyone coming up with random stats to prove he isn't worth the 5.5 but when he signed it was market value if not less.

He's never had a 30 goal season

are his highest goal totals and he's never cracked 60 pts so I have no idea why you'd think he'd get what we paid him as a UFA , never mind 6 plus .

hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Grabovski is the highest paid Leaf forward, so if his contract is suppose to be where it is, than he should be consider among Leafs best players accordingly and without question. If he isn't than one has to give a good supporting argument to defend his contract.

Nonis got Lupul re-signed for less than Grabovski makes for example, when the situation was the same of a pending UFA player agreeing to terms.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:55 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Grabovski is the highest paid Leaf forward, so if his contract is suppose to be where it is, than he should be consider among Leafs best players accordingly and without question. If he isn't than one has to give a good supporting argument to defend his contract.

Nonis got Lupul re-signed for less than Grabovski makes for example, when the situation was the same of a pending UFA player agreeing to terms.
How many games has he played again this season? He has a history of injury and its the only reason he took less but respectable money.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
How many games has he played again this season? He has a history of injury and its the only reason he took less but respectable money.
Only reason ?, I beg to differ.

Tell Dion not to fire shots off him while he stands fearlessly in front of the goalie to screen him, because its costing him games and money.

However if I had to pick between who I believe is worth more money and thus better contract I would select Lupul over Grabovski myself, based on contribution when both are on the ice.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:30 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:

just because someone else is willing to overpay for someone doesn't mean we should. I always hear that sentiment on here, oh someone else would have paid him the same so that some how makes it ok.

-DeMo- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:54 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Is this your money that he's being paid with?

Is there the option to buy him out/trade/waive a player?

Then stop complaining about the dollars. It's not hurting you. Just hope the guy continues to play well, like he has in the last few games, and builds on this for the playoffs.

The accountants are so angry these days. Bloody quiet, they are, in the platinums, but furious on HF. Go figure...

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post

Then stop complaining about the dollars. It's not hurting you. Just hope the guy continues to play well, like he has in the last few games, and builds on this for the playoffs.

The accountants are so angry these days. Bloody quiet, they are, in the platinums, but furious on HF. Go figure...
this

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:04 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
5.5 vs 5.25?

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:09 PM
hotpaws

Quote:

I heard the same type of excuses when people were defending Komi/TC/Army . I guess it'll be just as easy trading Grabo as it was dealing these 3 .

Old
04-17-2013, 02:17 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I heard the same type of excuses when people were defending Komi/TC/Army . I guess it'll be just as easy trading Grabo as it was dealing these 3 .
Okay, because any of them showed the ability in blue and white that Grabo has?...... Right.

Those comparisons are so weak. I expect better from those that drone on about this nonsense every day of their lives.

Grabo was one of our best players last night, and the last couple nights. He's getting back where he needs to be. This is why most are posting here, not running a club. An off season, and someon's a scrub, with no hope of bouncing back.

Reactionary folks at their finest.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:45 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Okay, because any of them showed the ability in blue and white that Grabo has?...... Right.

Those comparisons are so weak. I expect better from those that drone on about this nonsense every day of their lives.

Grabo was one of our best players last night, and the last couple nights. He's getting back where he needs to be. This is why most are posting here, not running a club. An off season, and someon's a scrub, with no hope of bouncing back.

Reactionary folks at their finest.
What does it matter what they showed as a Leaf . How many years were people saying Komi would bounce back ?

Grabo isn't a bad player but just because he put up a few points playing on a bad team getting mins he wouldn't otherwise have had doesn't mean he should of been resigned .

Grabo isn't a 3rd line center and because he doesn't work well with Kessel means he doesn't have a place with our team going forward so I have no idea why you think next year would be any different than this year .

Every time there's this type of discussion it's the same bs excuses and then more excuses to defend how they were wrong about the previous players who were in the same situation .

A team that's still building has to think longer term than just the next season . Grabo/JML were signed because the GM put the present ahead of the future and now Nonis is left with having to deal with them .

Old
04-17-2013, 04:23 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
What does it matter what they showed as a Leaf . How many years were people saying Komi would bounce back ?

Grabo isn't a bad player but just because he put up a few points playing on a bad team getting mins he wouldn't otherwise have had doesn't mean he should of been resigned .

Grabo isn't a 3rd line center and because he doesn't work well with Kessel means he doesn't have a place with our team going forward so I have no idea why you think next year would be any different than this year .

Every time there's this type of discussion it's the same bs excuses and then more excuses to defend how they were wrong about the previous players who were in the same situation .

A team that's still building has to think longer term than just the next season . Grabo/JML were signed because the GM put the present ahead of the future and now Nonis is left with having to deal with them .
Prove it!

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:29 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Prove it!
Wow what a clever response . Good for you young grasshopper .

Old
04-17-2013, 04:52 PM
thewave

Quote:
Only reason ?, I beg to differ.

Tell Dion not to fire shots off him while he stands fearlessly in front of the goalie to screen him, because its costing him games and money.

However if I had to pick between who I believe is worth more money and thus better contract I would select Lupul over Grabovski myself, based on contribution when both are on the ice.
Track record is taken into account. Lupul should be paid 6.5 if not for some of the other factors and history. It's not money to scoff at and for certain he does not want to be injured the guy has just had bad luck period and its a pretty consistent thing. This isn't a knock on him just is the way it is. He is a fantastic player and you think he is dumb along with his agent? They look at it all things considered and feel its fair price for his services plus even a discount because I think Lups really like Toronto. Love the guy. I also feel Grabo loves Toronto as well and really want to win here too. Love both those guys.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
thewave

Quote:
Can you though? I have not seen Grabo Kessel in Carlyles system... Or are we to just say the two have no chemistry because 3 yrs ago they played 15 games together in a shoddy system.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:59 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
So in short you can't actually prove it so you resort to snarky remarks, good to know.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:00 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Can you though? I have not seen Grabo Kessel in Carlyles system... Or are we to just say the two have no chemistry because 3 yrs ago they played 15 games together in a shoddy system.
Not even close to that, it was 1 game.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:07 PM
thewave

Quote:
Not even close to that, it was 1 game.
Oh well then you are obviously mistaken and he is right, they have no chemistry because uncle Wilson knows. That was Wilson's line btw I believe lol,

Along with...

If they would just stick to the system

My goalies all suck

Everyone is dumb but me

Old
04-17-2013, 08:39 PM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Prove it!
Better, prove it would actually work.

The guy has been a black hole of production with any set of wingers he has had this year.

Further, it's not good cap management for us moving fwd to allocate 5.5M per for the next 4+ years for a player that scores 1 in 11 games, or 1 in 15 games spurts.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:33 PM
leafspring*

There is still play-offs for Grabo to fish or cut bait and i will not write this season off for him until its over.Those saying he needs to be traded better hope he plays well in the play-offs or he is unmovable. That being the case,the only thing that makes sense is putting him on the wing for now.

He needs to move to the wing because his game is a rats nest of trying to do to much is my thinking and he adds face-off depth at the very least there.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:46 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:
He's never had a 30 goal season

are his highest goal totals and he's never cracked 60 pts so I have no idea why you'd think he'd get what we paid him as a UFA , never mind 6 plus .
Obviously because all people forgot about it; including the NHL!

Weren't you listening?!

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:25 PM
nuck
Flatfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Better, prove it would actually work.

The guy has been a black hole of production with any set of wingers he has had this year.

Further, it's not good cap management for us moving fwd to allocate 5.5M per for the next 4+ years for a player that scores 1 in 11 games, or 1 in 15 games spurts.
According leftwinglock..com Grabo's most frequent set line mates are McClement and Komarov with Komorov also being his most frequent line mate overall. Not exactly Kessel and JVR. And McClement has 8 goals in 43 games which he has never done before (career high is 12 in 82 games I think) so Grabos loss might be his gain. Honestly I don't know how much Grabo had to do with McClement's success but I haven't found anything to support your blanket statement about him dragging down line mates either.
Agree it's not good cape management for 8 goals in 44 games to be signed long term for 5 million +.
I hope they don't repeat the error and sign Bozak who scores 12 goals in 44 games with an extra 5 minutes TOI to the same foolish money.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:32 PM
GrabsOverHabs

Quote:
The "he only performed on a bad Leafs team getting loads of minutes" argument is thrown around a lot. Some information to consider:

1) This season he played on the top line for CSKA Moscow in the KHL with Pavel Datsyuk and had 12 goals and 12 assists in 29 games with a +8 rating. Granted the Russian league is different, but a lot of high calibre NHLers really struggled there so his numbers shouldn't be too scrutinized. Different coach, different system, still successful.

2) He made a substantial contribution to the AHLs Hamilton Bulldogs in their run up to winning the 2007 Calder Cup (11 points in 20 playoff games and a +3) and their regular season (54 points in 66 games and a +7). The next season he had 20 points in 12 games (+2) and was called up by the Canadiens and we all know the story from there.

There are many reasons to criticize Grabovski, but he should not be looked at as a player that could only produce under one system. He's been a part of success on other teams in his career and a strong offensive presence on the Leafs for two and a half years. The point I'm trying to drive home is that like him or not, his failure this season should be looked at as the exception in his career, not the rule.

GrabsOverHabs is offline   Reply With Quote