HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nabby is the Islanders MVP

Old
04-18-2013, 02:06 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Nabby is the Islanders MVP

http://thehockeywriters.com/evgeni-n...islanders-mvp/

What are your thoughts?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:12 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnTHW View Post
Good choice. He's been a workhorse for the isles and provided leadership, on a team that doesn't have much playoff run experience.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:15 PM
scott99

I agree 100%. Without him we are a bottom 5 lottery team. Our backups have 1 win all season. Nabby is the reason for this playoff run, look at his stats the last 13 games.

I love Tavares, he's my favorite hockey player, but he's been MIA pretty much the last 20 games, when we needed him the most. He was our first half MVP, but invisible the 2nd half. Hurts me to say it, because I really thought we'd see the incremental improvement offensively we've see the last 3 season. He almost was a point per game player last season, with 81 points in 82 games, right now he's fallen below the ppg pace with 42 in 43 games. Was hoping for an increase like he did every season. he's been a bit of a disappointment this season, especially the last 20 games.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:23 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Yep, he's our MVP. Without him, Isles are toast. I thought our season was over the other night when he went down. Islanders can win without JT's production but can't go anywhere without Nabby.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Yep, he's our MVP. Without him, Isles are toast. I thought our season was over the other night when he went down. Islanders can win without JT's production but can't go anywhere without Nabby.
Agree 100%.

When he stayed down the other night I said to my friend next to me... "there goes the season". He really is that important. Everyone has been producing during this hot streak but the real constant is Nabby in goal. He is a winner plain and simple. A true stabilizing force that this team has not has since Chris Osgood.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:52 PM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Agree 100%. I was thinking the same thing when he went down the other night. This is also what concerns me the most with the Islanders future. More than management, more than defense, more than help for Tavares. Islanders NEED a #1 goalie for the future. Nabby is clearly not the guy for the future, and that should be a number one concern.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Poliz24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
Agree 100%. I was thinking the same thing when he went down the other night. This is also what concerns me the most with the Islanders future. More than management, more than defense, more than help for Tavares. Islanders NEED a #1 goalie for the future. Nabby is clearly not the guy for the future, and that should be a number one concern.
Totally, Completely, Whole-Heartily Agree with you. I have been saying that ever since our friend in Bridgeport got hurt and couldn't stay healthy. Not to mention, Goaltender IS the most important position on the ICE!

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I agree 100%. Without him we are a bottom 5 lottery team. Our backups have 1 win all season. Nabby is the reason for this playoff run, look at his stats the last 13 games.

I love Tavares, he's my favorite hockey player, but he's been MIA pretty much the last 20 games, when we needed him the most. He was our first half MVP, but invisible the 2nd half. Hurts me to say it, because I really thought we'd see the incremental improvement offensively we've see the last 3 season. He almost was a point per game player last season, with 81 points in 82 games, right now he's fallen below the ppg pace with 42 in 43 games. Was hoping for an increase like he did every season. he's been a bit of a disappointment this season, especially the last 20 games.

I get what you're saying, but to be fair, his zeros in the last 3 games may be clouding your opinion. Tavares was 10-5-15 over the previous 17 games. Not so bad.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:01 PM
seabass45

Worth noting that he's been much better with an improved defense. Hammer and AMac are playing better, Vis showed up, Hickey's been solid. Started picking up steam in March: http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...1/splits/2013/

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:07 PM
PK Cronin

I think his play has seemed better because of the play in front of him. Total team effort and I'd consider Bailey being the 2nd half MVP along with Nabby.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:46 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
I get what you're saying, but to be fair, his zeros in the last 3 games may be clouding your opinion. Tavares was 10-5-15 over the previous 17 games. Not so bad.
Tavares is a CENTER, where are the assists, 5 assists in 17 games ? That's terrible. Centers are supposed to make others around them better. He was better at that last year. I don't know, I'm just frustrated by his lack of production overall. I thought THIS was going to be the true big break out year, and the way it started, it sure looked like it. I need him to explode over his last 5 games to make me feel better about his season.

Even if you take away the zeros, 15 points over the last 14 games aren't the same as how he was producing in the beginning of the season. Maybe I was spoiled by his start, the last 3 games have really made me concerned (actually the last 20 games). We can't afford to NOT have Tavares producing at this moment. When's the last time he had a 5 point game, for that matter, when's the last time he even had a 3 point game ?

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:19 PM
PK Cronin

Quote:
Tavares is a CENTER, where are the assists, 5 assists in 17 games ? That's terrible. Centers are supposed to make others around them better. He was better at that last year. I don't know, I'm just frustrated by his lack of production overall. I thought THIS was going to be the true big break out year, and the way it started, it sure looked like it. I need him to explode over his last 5 games to make me feel better about his season.

Even if you take away the zeros, 15 points over the last 14 games aren't the same as how he was producing in the beginning of the season. Maybe I was spoiled by his start, the last 3 games have really made me concerned (actually the last 20 games). We can't afford to NOT have Tavares producing at this moment. When's the last time he had a 5 point game, for that matter, when's the last time he even had a 3 point game ?
No player in the league keeps up the pace he was at in the beginning of the year, that's what you're missing.

He's looked much better these last few games, shooting more, etc. You also have to remember that we're playing meaningful games in April for the first time in years. These games haven't been 6-5 wins, they've been a grind it out style of game, which Moulson and Boyes just don't do.

And we can afford to have him not doing what he did earlier, seeing as how we've been on the best stretch this past month where he's 'slumped' than when he was tearing it up earlier this year.

Old
04-18-2013, 04:26 PM
xECK29x

Agree completely, he holds all but one win for our club, has been amazing off ice and really turned into a captain without the official C. He seems to love it here and that confidence and "professor" like attitude seems to have really rubbed off on the team.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:01 PM
dougr

Quote:

I am sorry but have you been watching the last 20 games? JT has been double teamed by the top defensive pairing every game, and he gets no help from his line mates. The opposing teams knows this, and they just hammer him every game. You can say whatever you want about him not lighting up the stat sheet, but that doesn't tell you everything about a player. He is always working hard, digging pucks in the corners, and making sure he is responsible in the offensive and defensive zones.

I don't want to make it seem like I am saying Nabby doesn't deserve some credit. He has made some amazing saves, but his play has been a product of a better team game in front of him.

Without JT in the beginning of the season, we wouldn't be here now. i can remember when Nabby was letting in 2+ goals a night.

dougr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Neverlose

No doubt Nabokov is MVP but I also have to nominate the second line. They've been outstanding for a while now and are clearly one of the biggest reasons we're in a playoff hunt.

Neverlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Doshell Propivo

1. Tavares
2. Nabakov

No one else comes close.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:22 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
But but but he is "so overrated" Seriously where are the Price supporters and the save% and GAA guys????

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:31 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Do you guys think our future goalies (poulin, koskinen) will ever be our future #1? Do you think that will be our focus in the first round of this years draft?

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:37 PM
PK Cronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
But but but he is "so overrated" Seriously where are the Price supporters and the save% and GAA guys????
He still is.

Coincidentally the second line improves their play, and the whole team follows suit and suddenly Nabby isn't letting in as many goals...it must be because he's standing on his head every night.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:40 PM
aemoreira1981

Absolutely---the Islanders don't have any semblance of a backup goalie; the team has only one win from a goalie not named Nabokov.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:46 PM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
yea, we can MAYBE get 2 more good years out of nabby, and who knows if he can handle 65-70 games at this stage of his career.

Honestly, this can just be a textbook case of a player playing very well because they want a fatter check. We can give him the loot he wants, but he may fall off a cliff next year, OR we wont give him the money he wants, and he goes to a team that will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Agree 100%.

When he stayed down the other night I said to my friend next to me... "there goes the season". He really is that important. Everyone has been producing during this hot streak but the real constant is Nabby in goal. He is a winner plain and simple. A true stabilizing force that this team has not has since Chris Osgood.
i think chris osgood was terribly underrated his whole career, he was the kind of guy that was fundamentally sound, and gave the team a chance to win night in, and night out. he was a rock back there. he wasn't that great his second year with the team, but that whole team was crappy that year.

nabby is similar in that sense--he doesn't try to be the hero, he doesn't try to take the spotlight, he just does his job--he gives the team a chance to win every night. of course hes let in some softies and some back-breakers, but every goaltender has those kind of nights. the guys are confident when hes in the net. Dp was always more worried about being a hot shot, and the flashing lights than stopping the puck. I think Dp's goose is officially cooked with this franchise, and they're just gunna bury him in bridgeport tell he decides to hang em up. Im def not sold on poulin or nilsson being consistent NHL netminders, especially after their sub par numbers at the bridge. To be completely honest, if nabby don't come back, i would welcome back Luongo with open arms.

Quote:
ll
Ehh, I've been a little unimpressed with his play the past 15 games at times, but you need to take two things into account; 1) hes played almost a whole season when you count the games in sweden, and they play like every other day with this shortened season and 2) this happens to him every season at this point, but his cold spells have been shorter, and shorter every year.

His passing has been off this year, and the low assist numbers is a testament to that. there has been countless times this season, where i would see him do the signature backhand no look pass right to the slot, and it ends up being a pass to no one and it ends up getting turned over. His shot has improved immensely tho. Good thing he had a nice game against the leafs tonight.

Dont worry, he will heat up again at the perfect time

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:28 PM
kmo429

Quote:

Bottom 5 lottery team without Nabby? yeah maybe if Poulin and DP were our goalies all year, but most likely if we didnt have Nabby we'd have a different goalie. Maybe a better goalie. Maybe we would have traded for Luongo or Vokoun or Bishop or Kiprusoff at some point, etc.

LOVE Nabby, and he's been playing awesome, but I have one problem with saying he's our MVP, and that that there are lots of goalies who have played as well or better than him this year and with them we'd be just as good or better.

JT is our MVP folks.

kmo429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:42 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
He still is.

Coincidentally the second line improves their play, and the whole team follows suit and suddenly Nabby isn't letting in as many goals...it must be because he's standing on his head every night.
Well most people went by numbers so I now challenge those who were going by the "numbers" to come post. Call a spade a spade is all i'm asking.

May I ask what would this guy have to do to not be overrated? If it wasn't for him up until 13 games ago we would still be on the outside looking in but now the D is playing better but he is still overrated? Doesn't that cement most of our arguments that it was the D being awful that lead to the high GAA and low SV%?

Also if the second line was not scoring we would have been toast because the 1st wasn't (and still isn't) what it was earlier in the year but either way WTH does that have to with Nabby?

Now I get it, because the 2nd line started scoring his GAA went down and his save% went up.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:51 AM
giddy up*

Quote:

If you watch the games you'll see that he has set up moulson for layup after layup and moulson hasnt finished them. And Brad boyes...please

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:22 AM
Hip Of Rick

vCash: 50
Its Nabby without question.

JT is obviously 2nd.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote