HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Non-Ski Resort: [INSERT HILARIOUS TITLE] Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2013, 05:57 AM
  #751
Pip
[hello] :)
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 60,486
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
Fresh price is a show that always throws me off...
I don't find the jokes that funny...
And some of them are forced...
But I like Uncle Phil and Carlton...
And there are some very heartwarming moments...
When they deal with serious issues.
I think it may be a better drama than comedy.

I think the show is ok, not bad, but not all it is played up to be

some epic gifs come from it though

Pip is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 05:58 AM
  #752
Pip
[hello] :)
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 60,486
vCash: 50
best winky face


Pip is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 06:42 AM
  #753
me2
Callng out the crap
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Blasting the bull***
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 29,108
vCash: 93
Charles from fresh Prince modeled his dance on a combination of

Eddie Murphy's white person dance
And
Courtney Cox in the Bruce Springsteen clip

me2 is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 07:06 AM
  #754
nameless1
Apathy is great!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,852
vCash: 500
Watched a movie called House of Games...
Written and directed by David Mamet...
Who was the guy who wrote Glengarry Glen Ross...

Found House Of Games to be interesting...
With a lot of depth behind the main characters...
But I had a hard time connecting with it.
I also found the film to be too convenient...
Where everything is too sequential...
With no breaks for time lapse so that it will make more sense.
It is probably a better play than a movie.

Still...
I really like David Mamet's works.
He has to be one of the best playwrights out there...

nameless1 is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 07:26 AM
  #755
nameless1
Apathy is great!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,852
vCash: 500
Heard the phrase...
"If you build it, they will come,"
At least 3 times yesterday...

Most of the times...
I find that most people who say this...
Are not interested in baseball...
Or have no idea where this phrase originated from.
They just think it sounded nice...

nameless1 is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 07:27 AM
  #756
nameless1
Apathy is great!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,852
vCash: 500
At 4:30 in the morning...

nameless1 is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 09:15 AM
  #757
nameless1
Apathy is great!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,852
vCash: 500
I want steak knives.

nameless1 is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 10:15 AM
  #758
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Benning's empty head
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,668
vCash: 50
I want steak.

__________________

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 11:56 AM
  #759
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,709
vCash: 50
So, my thoughts on the first Game of Thrones book...spoilers ahead:

Spoil:
Terrific read. Was really surprised at the progression of some characters, but left shaking my head at the stupidity of others.

I had known ahead of time that Ned Stark would die; it was the one thing I knew about the series headed in. What I didn't expect was the colossal level of stupidity that lead to his death. How he didn't just pack himself and his daughters back to Winterfell after Jory's death, I'll never know. Curiosity ended up killing him in the end, I suppose. But it would have been a far more shrewd move for him to have retreated to Winterfell with his knowledge and then speak the truth about the King's lineage, rather than trying to do it right in the heart of the beast where - predictably - his men were slaughtered and he was arrested and ultimately beheaded.

But I think the bigger irritating character was Catelyn. This is a woman who virtually kicks off a world war by kidnapping Tyrion to hold him accountable for crippling Bran. And then, towards the end, she sits there and begs for Robb and his banners to try for peace with the Lannisters? The same family that murdered Jon Arryn, crippled her son, and then beheaded her husband, while also holding her daughter captive? She is so profoundly inconsistent it's mind boggling. Thankfully - for the moment - it appears Robb and his subjects are ignoring that counsel. (the "King of the North" bit was awesome and unexpected)

In Cersei Lannister, the author has created one hell of a Lady Macbeth. Wow. Just a devious little witch. Jaime, skilled though he may be, is also one hell of an ass. The author did a great job of creating some hateable villains, that's for sure. It didn't take too long for another despicable character - Viserys - to meet his demise. I'm hoping the payoff will be equally as sweet for Cersei, Jaime and Joffrey.

I get the feeling that the character who may end up with the most important part to play is Jon Snow. How or why, I'm not yet sure - but the mystery of his mother, combined with the happenings beyond the wall, lead me to believe he's destined for something big. Same goes for Bran - for a boy who spent most of the book bedridden, a great deal of attention and detail went to him and his internal struggle.

Also curious to see what becomes of Arya and, to a lesser extent, Sansa. Even though Sansa is a complete fool in the first book, I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. Her line to Joffrey - "Perhaps my brother will bring me your head" - was her shining moment.


Anyway - thanks to HF for directing me to these books!

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 03:45 PM
  #760
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,821
vCash: 500
See below

EpochLink is online now  
Old
04-28-2013, 03:45 PM
  #761
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,821
vCash: 500
Blue Jays are pissing me off **** sakes

EpochLink is online now  
Old
04-28-2013, 03:54 PM
  #762
nameless1
Apathy is great!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
Blue Jays are pissing me off **** sakes
The expectations are too heavy...

The pitching had been up and down...
Mostly down...

The bullpen can't hold a lead...

Hitters have power...
But a lot of them are hitting close and below to the Mendoza Line...
Some are even about half of the Mendoza Line...

Injuries forced them to move a lot of players around...

Plus...
Losing Reyes hurt.
They don't have another good leadoff batter.

But...
Good news is...
It is still early.
I would write the season off if it continues into June.

nameless1 is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 04:43 PM
  #763
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,420
vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
Blue Jays are pissing me off **** sakes
Hyped up too much, and just not living up to the hype...yet. It's extremely frustrating right now though.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 05:43 PM
  #764
nameless1
Apathy is great!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Hyped up too much, and just not living up to the hype...yet. It's extremely frustrating right now though.
I think it is less hype...
Than injuries.
Key players were out...
And some of them are just getting back.

Tough to watch right now...
But at least they are still making an effort.
I don't think they gave up yet.

It is just strange that everything is down...
Pitching...
Batting...
Bullpen...
Still...
Sooner or latter...
I think something will click.
I just think the team has too much talent to stink this bad...
For a long stretch of time.

Of course...
This might be the tone of the rest of the season...
But I reserve my judgement till June or July...
1 good month...
And they are back in.

nameless1 is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 05:45 PM
  #765
Royal Canuck
M-V-P
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Burnaby/Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,927
vCash: 814
Yeah, extremely annoying to watch them play right now.

I'm just glad they went 2-2 while I was there and we're playing okay ball the entire time, except for the 9-4 loss, they we're never in that one.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You have to hate losing, more than you love winning. "
Royal Canuck is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 07:02 PM
  #766
Officer Friendly
Moderator
Got Nothin To Say
 
Officer Friendly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Sometimes autocorrect makes you seem more drunk than you actually are.
Sometimes other times it just hides the fact that you're drunk

Officer Friendly is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 07:10 PM
  #767
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,420
vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2047 View Post
Sometimes other times it just hides the fact that you're drunk
Autocorrect can be a saviour, but it can also be a big downfall and make things really...awkward.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 07:14 PM
  #768
Officer Friendly
Moderator
Got Nothin To Say
 
Officer Friendly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Autocorrect can be a saviour, but it can also be a big downfall and make things really...awkward.
oh yes i have had the awkward messages

Officer Friendly is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 07:18 PM
  #769
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.
 
VeteranNetPresence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
So, my thoughts on the first Game of Thrones book...spoilers ahead:

Spoil:
Terrific read. Was really surprised at the progression of some characters, but left shaking my head at the stupidity of others.

I had known ahead of time that Ned Stark would die; it was the one thing I knew about the series headed in. What I didn't expect was the colossal level of stupidity that lead to his death. How he didn't just pack himself and his daughters back to Winterfell after Jory's death, I'll never know. Curiosity ended up killing him in the end, I suppose. But it would have been a far more shrewd move for him to have retreated to Winterfell with his knowledge and then speak the truth about the King's lineage, rather than trying to do it right in the heart of the beast where - predictably - his men were slaughtered and he was arrested and ultimately beheaded.

But I think the bigger irritating character was Catelyn. This is a woman who virtually kicks off a world war by kidnapping Tyrion to hold him accountable for crippling Bran. And then, towards the end, she sits there and begs for Robb and his banners to try for peace with the Lannisters? The same family that murdered Jon Arryn, crippled her son, and then beheaded her husband, while also holding her daughter captive? She is so profoundly inconsistent it's mind boggling. Thankfully - for the moment - it appears Robb and his subjects are ignoring that counsel. (the "King of the North" bit was awesome and unexpected)

In Cersei Lannister, the author has created one hell of a Lady Macbeth. Wow. Just a devious little witch. Jaime, skilled though he may be, is also one hell of an ass. The author did a great job of creating some hateable villains, that's for sure. It didn't take too long for another despicable character - Viserys - to meet his demise. I'm hoping the payoff will be equally as sweet for Cersei, Jaime and Joffrey.

I get the feeling that the character who may end up with the most important part to play is Jon Snow. How or why, I'm not yet sure - but the mystery of his mother, combined with the happenings beyond the wall, lead me to believe he's destined for something big. Same goes for Bran - for a boy who spent most of the book bedridden, a great deal of attention and detail went to him and his internal struggle.

Also curious to see what becomes of Arya and, to a lesser extent, Sansa. Even though Sansa is a complete fool in the first book, I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. Her line to Joffrey - "Perhaps my brother will bring me your head" - was her shining moment.


Anyway - thanks to HF for directing me to these books!
book three is by far the best in the series. enjoy it

VeteranNetPresence is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 09:29 PM
  #770
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
The expectations are too heavy...

The pitching had been up and down...
Mostly down...

The bullpen can't hold a lead...

Hitters have power...
But a lot of them are hitting close and below to the Mendoza Line...
Some are even about half of the Mendoza Line...

Injuries forced them to move a lot of players around...

Plus...
Losing Reyes hurt.
They don't have another good leadoff batter.

But...
Good news is...
It is still early.
I would write the season off if it continues into June.
Well beat the drum
And hold the phone
The sun came out today
Born again, there's new grass on the field
Rounding third and headed for home
A brown eyed handsome man
Anyone can understand the way I feel

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play
Today
Well put me in coach, I'm ready to play
Today
Look at me, I can be centerfield

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 11:07 PM
  #771
nameless1
Apathy is great!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Well beat the drum
And hold the phone
The sun came out today
Born again, there's new grass on the field
Rounding third and headed for home
A brown eyed handsome man
Anyone can understand the way I feel

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play
Today
Well put me in coach, I'm ready to play
Today
Look at me, I can be centerfield
When did you become a song writer, Reverend?
That's pretty good.

nameless1 is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 11:08 PM
  #772
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
When did you become a song writer, Reverend?
That's pretty good.
John Fogerty (CCR) - Centerfield

Great song. But I gotta lot of nothing to do, so I actually do write some stuff. It's not great, but gotta keep myself entertained, y'know?

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 11:56 PM
  #773
Pip
[hello] :)
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 60,486
vCash: 50
Chicken Pot Pie is ****ing delicious

mhmmm

Pip is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 12:41 AM
  #774
nameless1
Apathy is great!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Chicken Pot Pie is ****ing delicious

mhmmm
Frozen?
Or from a bakery?
Or home-made?
Or so-called "home-made" from stores?

Personally I like ones from bakery...
But I had some good frozen ones...
And some good so-called "home-made" ones.
Still...
Most of the store bought ones taste very similar.


Last edited by nameless1: 04-29-2013 at 12:50 AM.
nameless1 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 12:43 AM
  #775
Pip
[hello] :)
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 60,486
vCash: 50
From a bakery

twas very tasty

Pip is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.