HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2013, 11:11 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Is it not established that Weber won't be moved until summer 2014 at the earliest due to Nashville paying 13 of the 14 mil before they're allowed to deal him in July?
Nashville's owners are stuck paying him the $13 million no matter what and they are likely savy enough to believe in sunk costs.

If they want to do a full blown rebuild, moving Weber for a kings ransom when his value is highest (i.e. this summer) would be prudent.

If anything the fact that the acquiring team would only have to pay $1 million for Weber's services in 2013-14 would make him even more valuable.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:22 PM
tiger_80

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
Assuming the Oilers 1st is 2013, your proposal is so flawed to begin with. You do know that Weber can not be traded until late July right? The draft is over by then.

I would trade Eberle for Kreider any day. Following is an overpayment but it'll get Poille talking.

Eberle, Smid, Hemsky, 2014 1st and 2015 1st for Weber.
Wow, people really overrate Weber...I'd rather keep Eberle, Smid and picks, and deal Hemsky/Gagner for a lesser d-man than basically gut the team for an overpriced d-man who won't be able to make a difference on this roster.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Wow, people really overrate Weber...I'd rather keep Eberle, Smid and picks, and deal Hemsky/Gagner for a lesser d-man than basically gut the team for an overpriced d-man who won't be able to make a difference on this roster.
To be fair, he's also one that Honestly believes Eberle straight up for Krieder would be good for the Oilers.

I think he's doing his best to make sure the Oilers "don't look like homers" proposing deals where the Oilers giveaway EVERYTHING.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:32 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Agreed.

Show me another trade in recent history that even closely resembles the one proposed. Weber's a very good defenseman, not a generational one. We make that deal and MacT's the laughing stock of the hockey world.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:37 PM
doubledown99

Weber is a pipe dream. Poile told Elliote Friedman (30 Thoughts) they aren't trading Weber but building around him and Rinne.

If he was thinking of moving him he wouldn't have commented and Friedman wouldn't have mentioned anything.

So give it up folks. Weber is going nowhere.

Last edited by doubledown99: 04-20-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old
04-20-2013, 12:39 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Weber is a pipe dream.
Agreed.

It's far more likely we trade for an overpriced D on a bad team.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Ok fine I'll try my hand at it. Just keep in mind, some of these moves are ones I think will happen, not I want to happen.

1.) Gagner + for Yandle
I feel as though this is some what of a lock to happen. Between Spec's tweet, Friedman's rumored asking price for Yandle, and Stauf's 'hypothetical', it has a lot of things pointing towards this happening. From our perspective it makes sense. We need a LHD who can move the puck. Yandle can contribute offensively, and he's shown he's not bad defensively. He's logged a lot of ice time for Phoenix. Not only that, but he's 26, so he can be here for a long time. He's also signed for 3 more years after this one at a good rate. For the Yotes, with OEL and Gormley and Rundblad in the pipeline, they somewhat replace Yandle's skill. They don't have a Gagner in the pipeline, and desperately need one. With Hanzal and Vermette, Gagner's deficiencies become less of an issue, and he's shown this year that he can produce constantly, and that's a plus for that line up. It gives them a hell of a trio down the middle. I'm not sure I like it, as Gagner has carried this team at times and been our most consistent offensive producer, but I can get the rationale.

2.) Our 1st round pick is either Barkov or Monahan. Described as two of the most NHL ready C's in the draft, I think one of them will be our guy. Barkov has played in a mens league for a while, and shown he can play a complete game. Pendegrast has said Monahan is NHL ready, and you know MacT has been in his ear picking his brain on the kid. They may also view these two better fits behind Nuge than Gagner. They also come cheaper. I don't like throwing another 18 y/o into a prominent role, but I think we'll see it happen.

3.) Belanger and Eager are gone for low picks and/or nothing. I have the feeling management is done with them.

4.) Smyth will be compliance bought out. Is it a waste due to his minicule cap hit? Yes, but I don't management well it done so he can get his pay and then retire an Oiler. I think everyone knows he's done. I think management will to.

Now those are the moves I think management will do. Here are the moves I want to see happen in addition.

1.) Sign Brooks Laich. I'm fairly certain he'll get bought out. With the Caps success this season, and with him barely playing, it doesn't make sense to keep him. Add in his hefty pricetag for the next few years, and he's a compliance target. For us I think he'd be a good addition. He's a solid vet that can play both LW and C. He can take draws, good defensively, is physical and has shown the ability to score in a complimentary role. He can contribute in pretty much all situations. 2 years at 3M/yr. He's not Lucic, but he's a more realistic target imo.

2.) Re-sign Smithson, MPS, Harti. Everyone else can go.

3.) Sign Aaron Volpatti(800k), D Tyson Strachan(1.75M/yr), Chad Johnson(0.8M/yr)

I think we all know Volpatti and how he plays.

I think most people look at Strachan and think....who? Trust me, I know the feeling. Here is a few cliff notes. 28 y/o RHD D-man. 107 hits in 36 games with 57 blocked shots. #3 ES TOI on Florida, #4 PK TOI. #3 TOI. 3rd least off. zone starts. 3rd best GA/60. Decent Corsi? I mean, he's not Chris Phillips in his prime, but he's done pretty well this year. He's been physical and played some decent minutes. We need him to be a decent #4-5-6 so our D is solid all the way through.

Chad Johnson is brought in to be a cheap back up behind Dubnyk. He hasn't played enough to demand big money, but his AHL numbers say he can be decent as a back up. So here's hoping.

4.) Hemsky and Potter are traded.

Hemsky's salary and production don't match up. Then add in Yak and Ebs ahead of him, and it's just a waste of cap space. We desperately need to address other areas of the roster. 3rd line RW cannot make $5M on a roster this depleted.

And Potter is traded because **** Corey Potter that's why.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get anything of value for him or Potter. Probably be a mid round pick as this is a pure salary dump. Maybe some C level prospects.

**** you Corey Potter.

2013-2014 Edmonton Oilers

Hall(6)-Nuge(3.75)-Eberle(6)
Laich(3)-Barkov(3.75)-Yakupov(3.75)
MPS(2)-Horcoff(5.5)-Harti(1.1)
Lander(0.8)-Smithson(0.8)-Brown(0.8)
Volpatti(0.8)

Yandle(5.25)-Petry(1.75)
Smid(3.5)-Schultz(3.75)
Schultz(3.5)-Strachan(1.75)
Teubert(0.8)

Dubnyk(3.5)
Johnson(0.8)

Cap hit = $62.65M.

Rip it apart.

Last edited by Oilbleeder: 04-20-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old
04-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Paralyzer008

Are regular buyouts still allowed? I'd guess so.

We could use a compliance on, say, Belanger, and then buy out Eager normally (I don't see Smyth getting one, I think he's around next year on the 4th line)

Old
04-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Ok fine I'll try my hand at it. Just keep in mind, some of these moves are ones I think will happen, not I want to happen.

1.) Gagner + for Yandle
I feel as though this is some what of a lock to happen. Between Spec's tweet, Friedman's rumored asking price for Yandle, and Stauf's 'hypothetical', it has a lot of things pointing towards this happening. From our perspective it makes sense. We need a LHD who can move the puck. Yandle can contribute offensively, and he's shown he's not bad defensively. He's logged a lot of ice time for Phoenix. Not only that, but he's 26, so he can be here for a long time. He's also signed for 3 more years after this one at a good rate. For the Yotes, with OEL and Gormley and Rundblad in the pipeline, they somewhat replace Yandle's skill. They don't have a Gagner in the pipeline, and desperately need one. With Hanzal and Vermette, Gagner's deficiencies become less of an issue, and he's shown this year that he can produce constantly, and that's a plus for that line up. It gives them a hell of a trio down the middle. I'm not sure I like it, as Gagner has carried this team at times and been our most consistent offensive producer, but I can get the rationale.

2.) Our 1st round pick is either Barkov or Monahan. Described as two of the most NHL ready C's in the draft, I think one of them will be our guy. Barkov has played in a mens league for a while, and shown he can play a complete game. Pendegrast has said Monahan is NHL ready, and you know MacT has been in his ear picking his brain on the kid. They may also view these two better fits behind Nuge than Gagner. They also come cheaper. I don't like throwing another 18 y/o into a prominent role, but I think we'll see it happen.

3.) Belanger and Eager are gone for low picks and/or nothing. I have the feeling management is done with them.

4.) Smyth will be compliance bought out. Is it a waste due to his minicule cap hit? Yes, but I don't management well it done so he can get his pay and then retire an Oiler. I think everyone knows he's done. I think management will to.

Now those are the moves I think management will do. Here are the moves I want to see happen in addition.

1.) Sign Brooks Laich. I'm fairly certain he'll get bought out. With the Caps success this season, and with him barely playing, it doesn't make sense to keep him. Add in his hefty pricetag for the next few years, and he's a compliance target. For us I think he'd be a good addition. He's a solid vet that can play both LW and C. He can take draws, good defensively, is physical and has shown the ability to score in a complimentary role. He can contribute in pretty much all situations. 2 years at 3M/yr. He's not Lucic, but he's a more realistic target imo.

3.) Sign Aaron Volpatti(800k), D Tyson Strachan(1.75M/yr), Chad Johnson(0.8M/yr)

I think most people look at Strachan and think....who? Trust me, I know the feeling. Here is a few cliff notes. 28 y/o RHD D-man. 107 hits in 36 games with 57 blocked shots. #3 ES TOI on Florida, #4 PK TOI. #3 TOI. 3rd least off. zone starts. 3rd best GA/60. Decent Corsi? I mean, he's not Chris Phillips in his prime, but he's done pretty well this year. He's been physical and played some decent minutes. We need him to be a decent #4-5-6 so our D is solid all the way through.

Chad Johnson is brought in to be a cheap back up behind Dubnyk. He hasn't played enough to demand big money, but his AHL numbers say he can be decent as a back up. So here's hoping.

Hemsky's salary and production don't match up. Then add in Yak and Ebs ahead of him, and it's just a waste of cap space. We desperately need to address other areas of the roster. 3rd line RW cannot make $5M on a roster this depleted.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get anything of value for him or Potter. Probably be a mid round pick as this is a pure salary dump. Maybe some C level prospects.

**** you Corey Potter.

Volpatti(0.8)

Yandle(5.25)-Petry(1.75)
Smid(3.5)-Schultz(3.75)
Teubert(0.8)

Dubnyk(3.5)
Johnson(0.8)

Cap hit = $62.65M.

Rip it apart.
I'm on board for both Ochochinco and the bolded part

Old
04-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:

1.) Gagner + for Yandle
Lots of smoke, could see it. What I worry about is that Yandle and Whitney are good friends. Does not re-signing Whitney get the Yandle relationship off on a bad foot? Does it sour his chances of re-signing after his contract?

Quote:
2.) Our 1st round pick is either Barkov or Monahan.
Monahan please. I see us finishing 6th and grabbing him. Debating wether or not I'd want him to play a 3rd line role next season. I think he's ready for it, but I see forward spots at a premium next season and I'm currently thinking I'd rather audition a brash physical bottom-6er and let Monahan do a 9-game/WJC/Traded to OHL contender development year.

Quote:
I don't know if anyone will want them. Could see a Belanger compliance buyout and Eager regular buyout.

Quote:
4.) Smyth will be compliance bought out.
I think we're going to have to ride out Smyth's contract. I dunno, just a feeling.

-----

What else...

Trade Hemsky for Dubinsky, Sign Bryan Bickell, Re-sign Smithson and Fistric.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Lots of smoke, could see it. What I worry about is that Yandle and Whitney are good friends. Does not re-signing Whitney get the Yandle relationship off on a bad foot? Does it sour his chances of re-signing after his contract?

Monahan please. I see us finishing 6th and grabbing him. Debating wether or not I'd want him to play a 3rd line role next season. I think he's ready for it, but I see forward spots at a premium next season and I'm currently thinking I'd rather audition a brash physical bottom-6er and let Monahan do a 9-game/WJC/Traded to OHL contender development year.

I don't know if anyone will want them. Could see a Belanger compliance buyout and Eager regular buyout.

I think we're going to have to ride out Smyth's contract. I dunno, just a feeling.

-----

What else...

lol bad foot. whitney...haha

Old
04-20-2013, 01:34 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I have a strong feeling that our 1st will be moved pre-draft. Pajaarvi/Hemsky and our first should be able to net us a decent PWF type player. This is more of a pipe dream, but...

Pajaarvi & 2013 1st for Lucic

Hemsky, Gagner & Potter for Byfuglien & Stuart

Sign Nathan Horton & Clowe

buy-out Belanger & Eager

Lucic - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Horton - Yakupov
Clowe - Horcoff - Jones
Smyth - Lander - Brown

Byfuglien - Smid
Petry - N. Schultz
J. Schultz - Stuart

Old
04-20-2013, 01:40 PM
FunkyChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Are regular buyouts still allowed? I'd guess so.

We could use a compliance on, say, Belanger, and then buy out Eager normally (I don't see Smyth getting one, I think he's around next year on the 4th line)
Aren't compliance buy outs only allowed on players with greater than $3M average annual salary?

Old
04-20-2013, 01:59 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I don't get the hate for Cory Potter. I'll probably get blasted because I know that to be a true HFoil poster you need to hate Potter and want to trade Eberle at the drop of a hat...

His defensive play is standard, he can be physical and he has a heck of a shot if they let him use it. He can play on the back end of the PP if needed, too.

He's a bottom pairing D and nothing more, but I don't think we should hate him for not being anything else.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:03 PM
SchultzSquared

Forget those losers on main boards... I think MacTs bold move will be a buyout... maybe two... I think he must see if he knows anything about the sport or management or the cap at all that we cannot win with Horcoff's and Smyth's salary...

With Horc alone save nearly $3M next year $2M year after that when it is most important... and spare me the excuses about being a good 3rd line C... it was already proven that you do not HAVE to spend $5.5M to have a good shut down C... if an NHL GM cannot find a decent one in three years of looking for less than that (cough Tambellini) he is a failure as an executive

Beyond that if we just fill holes- big second line LW partner for J. Schultz a shutdown C- I am happy with this team going forward... Hemsky for Klesla being one trade I would make...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Clowe ($4.25M)-Gagner ($4.75M)-Yakupov
Paajarvi ($2M)-Monahan/Barkov ($1.775M)-Hartikainen ($1M)
Petrell ($1M)-Boyd Gordon ($2M)-Brown
Belanger Lander

Smid-Petry
Klesla-J. Schultz
N. Schultz-Fistric ($1.5M)
Potter

Dubnyk
Khabi ($1.5M)

Cap space $2,385,833... enough to sign a better third line RW if Hartski cannot become full timer... I think MacT will want to see what he is before making him a extra forward... give him another off season and 20 games next year... if he still cannot take the next step you go and get a vet RW

Lines 1 and 4 do the heavy matchups... lines two three play the softer minutes

Old
04-20-2013, 02:08 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Believe it or not HFOil, but our first rounder next year doesn't HAVE to play in our line-up. We can send them back to junior, Finland, Sweden, Ghana, Australia or wherever else they played this year.

I would argue that our team is better off if our first rounder this year can develop a bit more before we rush them into our line-up.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:08 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Duchene or Evander Kane would be my Mact "Bold" moves.

Either of those players would make our top 6 deadly. I've already said what I would give up for Kane and Duchene I said in last nights PGT.

In a perfect world I would love either of those two for our 2013 first and Gags and a 2013 second (throw in a prospect if need be)

But I doubt a either team will part without at least getting an Eberle back.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:24 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I never was on the "trade Eberle" bandwagon to begin with.

The core is Hall/Eberle/RNH/Yak/Schultz... those should all be basically untouchable and should be built around.

Gagner is a key piece as well and imo shouldn't be traded until a suitable #2 can be found.

Everyone else is expendable depending on what's coming back.

Players like Petry, Smid, MPS are also key pieces but I don't rank them as untouchables... although of course the deal would have to be compelling to move them.
I understand about having those players as untouchables, so how do we improve our team for next year. The issue with this team is size and yet you want to keep everyone that we have on our team until they can be replaced. I just don't see how we can go fwd with Eberle, Yak, Gagner, PRV, and Hemsky in our top 9. Out of that group we can only keep two of them for next year.

I would rather us trade for a centreman that has more size, better on faceoffs, is harder to move off the puck but will get less points as it will make our team better over all.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post

What else...

I'd love that, but Columbus doesn't touch it with a ten foot pole. A more likely swap IMO would be Hemsky to OTT for Greening +.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:47 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
I have a strong feeling that our 1st will be moved pre-draft. Pajaarvi/Hemsky and our first should be able to net us a decent PWF type player. This is more of a pipe dream, but...

Pajaarvi & 2013 1st for Lucic

Hemsky, Gagner & Potter for Byfuglien & Stuart

Sign Nathan Horton & Clowe

buy-out Belanger & Eager

Lucic - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Horton - Yakupov
Clowe - Horcoff - Jones
Smyth - Lander - Brown

Byfuglien - Smid
Petry - N. Schultz
J. Schultz - Stuart
I really fear that this trade is coming, and will become another example of why you never make a deal with Peter Chiarelli.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:54 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I don't get the hate for Cory Potter. I'll probably get blasted because I know that to be a true HFoil poster you need to hate Potter and want to trade Eberle at the drop of a hat...

His defensive play is standard, he can be physical and he has a heck of a shot if they let him use it. He can play on the back end of the PP if needed, too.

He's a bottom pairing D and nothing more, but I don't think we should hate him for not being anything else.
Ya, I want to keep him around as a 7/8

04-20-2013, 02:55 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
can you think of one or to C in the league that broke out later in their career? Hmmm lets see Joe Thorton comes to mind he was a 30-40 point player for the first 5 years of his career. Sedin is another good example. Some players just take longer to put it all together. i would love to be able to see him put it all together here but having so many small forwards seems to have hampered that plan. Gagner is very talented young player and I still think the best is yet to come for him. Unfortunately we are now at a point in our "rebuild" that we can't wait any longer. Our fans are starting to lose all hope for this team and somebody has to go. gags is the odd man out and IMO will go on to post great numbers for quite a few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
I really hope we sign Gagner for 2-3 years. If he blows up after that it's not like we didn't give him ample opportunity. I'm still hoping we draft a center this year anyway, so Gagner could stay on the 2nd line for a year or two until we're ready to replace him.

Gagner's just a good guy too, love his effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
. I get slammed for Hanzal+Michalek for Eberle and the next proposal is Eberle for Kreider.

Your plan is all predicated on the Oilers somehow by miracle of god acquiring Mackinnon. Unlikely scenario IMO.

I wouldn't mind working on a deal where Bolland turns into Gagner, but not until another 2C is in place.

As for Berglund-for-Gagner - I don't see why value is so bad on it. Gagner is a more offensively capable forward (top-20 amongst C's in scoring) that has never really had an opportunity to be "the focus" offensively with top-notch wingers. I feel he could play a Krejci-like role for STL as a 1C. Take 2 solid wingers (Stewart + Oshie/Perron/Tarasenko/Steen) and serve in a point-producing role while Backes/Sobotka behind him play the checking/2-way role.
Berglund is obviously the more "classic #2C" between them - better 2-way player, capable of the cycle game, and nice big size suited for the new division. His faceoffs are weak, and he's relatively "unproven" - helping to lower his trade value.
The only one that makes sense to me out of all this is Gagner and Berglund. Berglund would be a good 2C as he has size and is only 24 yrs old. Krejci for Eberle I can't believe that was even brought up. Berglund would not cost as much as a 2C also. That is something you have to take a look at with the other top 6 players we have on our team.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:06 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I really fear that this trade is coming, and will become another example of why you never make a deal with Peter Chiarelli.
I've been saying the same thing, mega-agree... and the org has even mentioned Lucic by name, which is technically illegal. Chiarelli likely heard that and has it in the back of his head going into the offseason. Our org still thinks Lucic is a behemoth, Chiarelli knows he'll never cover the 6m bet... they'll ream us and our org will come to the fanbase preaching to us that we have a new saviour and that MacT is making a difference, and everything will be roses. HORC might get bought out in the process, but who will replace him? We'll see how it goes. We'll pay up futures this off-season and come in saddled with monster salaries and locked in to an underperforming core. It will still likely improve us, but it might cut short what we are aspiring to.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:10 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
There's been rumors that Letang may be available, also speculation that Shattenkirk could as well. If I'm Mac-T those are 2 of the d men I'm trying to bring in along with Rob Scuderi. Also as already mentioned Weber won't be available due to Nashville having to pay the signing bonus.
I can't see Shatty getting traded. STL'g biggest need was on defense and they went out and picked up JBo. They will resign Pietro and Shatty, that is why a player like Stewart might be available. If we could do a package deal for Stewart and Berglund that would solve our size issues for our top 6. I think they would be interested in more skill up front and picks and prospects. If we are drafting around 8th what about something around Gagner and our 1st for Berglund and Stewart.

That will fix our top 6 for size. Can Eberle play LW or we can use him as a trade chip to get that top pairing dman. What about Alzner from WAS, big dman that can shut other teams down and I do believe he has a good first pass.

Hall; RNH; Stewart
PRV; BAcklund; Yak

Alzner; J.Schultz
Smid; Petry
N.Schultz; Potter;Fistric

Old
04-20-2013, 03:18 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:

1.) Gagner + for Yandle

**** you Corey Potter.

Volpatti(0.8)

Yandle(5.25)-Petry(1.75)
Smid(3.5)-Schultz(3.75)
Teubert(0.8)

Dubnyk(3.5)
Johnson(0.8)

Cap hit = $62.65M.

Rip it apart.
Laich won`t be bought out. You really think an owner is going to give a player 18 mil to just walk away. You guys have to remember that owners are rich and they do care about giving money away. I could see if he had one year left but he has 4 yrs at 4.5mil. Not going to happen.

Closed Thread