HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 09:44 AM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Shocker: Cam Fowler's PDO is actually average or better, at 1001

So I have no idea why he only has 8 points in 33 games. I thought his PDO would be closer to 970. Suggests the problem isn't puck luck (scored tonight though, ironically)
i'm a fan of PDO, but it doesn't tell the whole story... if ducks fans all say that he has played well, but just hasn't put up the points, i'm inclined to believe them

Old
04-22-2013, 10:11 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Fowler's playing the best hockey of his career. Before he was a guy who always needed sheltering at even strength, while putting up points on the PP. now he's turned into a solid 2-way player.

From my observations he's still getting secondary PP time and whatnot, just bad puck luck

Old
04-22-2013, 10:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
you can only compliance contracts you possessed pre lockout
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
can you provide a link for this? i've looked a few times now, and have yet to find anything that actually says this... i've seen it mentioned on the boards a few times, but i can't actually find this rule anywhere... which makes me think that there is NOT a salary minimum to buyouts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
compliance buyouts are for players that have a salary or 3mil plus so players like eager, belanger and smyth don`t apply
I asked on the business of hockey board. And no where does it state that anything about salary or that you had to have the players before the lockout.

The 3mil was a part of the expedited buyouts only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL/NHLPA CBA MOU
During the Ordinary Course “Buy-Out” periods following the 2012/13 season and 2013/14 season, in addition to any other Ordinary Course “Buy-Outs” a Club may elect to effectuate pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC, Clubs may elect to terminate and “buy-out” the already existing SPCs of up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) on a Compliance basis (a “Compliance Buy-Out”). Such Compliance Buy-Out(s) would be effectuated on the same terms as are set forth in Paragraph 13 of the SPC, except that the amounts paid under such “buy-out(s)” will not be charged against the Club’s Cap in any of the years in which the payments are made to the Player. Amounts paid under such Compliance Buy-Out(s) will, however, be counted against the Players’ Share during any League Year in which the “buy-out” payments are made. A Player that has been bought out under these Compliance Buy-Out provisions shall be prohibited from re-joining the Club that bought him out (via re-signing, Assignment, Waiver claim or otherwise) for the duration of the 2013/14 League Year (if the Player was bought out in 2013) and the 2014/15 League Year (if the Player was bought out in 2014).

Old
04-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I asked on the business of hockey board. And no where does it state that anything about salary or that you had to have the players before the lockout.

The 3mil was a part of the expedited buyouts only.
So the Oilers could swap buyouts, say Horcoff for Ohlund and then have each team buy the player out, and then re-sign Horcoff as a 3rd/4th line cetner at a much better price.

Hmm.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:45 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So the Oilers could swap buyouts, say Horcoff for Ohlund and then have each team buy the player out, and then re-sign Horcoff as a 3rd/4th line cetner at a much better price.

Hmm.
According to Feaster you could probably buyout Horcoff and re-sign him yourself.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Hemsky4PM

Gilbert for N. Schultz has been pretty disappointing thus far. Not that Gilbert has been outstanding for the Wild either - just not what was hoped for.

It's possible that Klefbom could crack the roster next fall.

Smid-Petry
J. Schultz-UFA/RFA OS/trade
Klefbom-UFA/RFA OS/trade
N. Schultz-Fistric (or comparable)

I think this is MacT's no.1 priority - bringing in two quality NHL defencemen capable of playing 20 minutes a night.

I would look at a possible diamond in the rough, Micheal Kostka - averaging 22 minutes a night with the Leafs (going to the playoffs). 26 years old. 6-2, 210. A three year deal at 1.25M average could be a steal.

Michael Stone from the Coyotes - 22 years old, RFA, 6-3, 200 lbs. A nice value target for an offer sheet (a low one mind you).

Chris Tanev is also an RFA - and MacT had him with the Chicago Wolves last season.

Nick Leddy is an RFA with Chicago - already committed with big money to Keith, Seabrook and Hjarlmarsson. A great RFA offer sheet target - or trade target with Chicago - who also have Bickell and Stalberg to try and sign - with a decreasing cap...I would also look at acquiring Hjarlmarsson or Oduya if they Hawks would rather keep Leddy - who is younger.

I think MacT's few years of scouting will yeild some solid results in free agency. They need to really zero in on some of these guys moving into the playoffs.

A young defenseman I really like is Dmitri Orlov - played a lot of games for the Caps last year and a few this year. Huge potential as a no.3-4 defensive d-man.

Last edited by Hemsky4PM: 04-22-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old
04-22-2013, 11:08 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Justin Schultz (5th year post-draft):
21:26, -15, 0.20 ESP/Game in 44gp

Jeff Petry (6th year post-draft):
21:45, -7, 0.26 ESP/Game in 73gp

Tom Gilbert (6th year post-draft):
22:11, -6, 0.27 ESP/Game in 82gp

Am I the only one who doesn't see why Justin Schultz is part of the "must-keep" group? He's on pace to be -30 in a full season.
Because he's a rookie with **** for veteran support?
I know that you dislike Schultz (which you have made clear as day since the moment he was signed and by your manipulation of his stats) but to label him as expendable after a struggling rookie year defensively is pretty ridiculous, no?

Old
04-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Gilbert for N. Schultz has been pretty disappointing thus far. Not that Gilbert has been outstanding for the Wild either - just not what was hoped for.
Nick Schultz has had to baby sit to an extent, plus the Oilers lack of depth isn't his fault.

Tom Gilbert has been a Healthy Scratch on a number of occasions this season, the Oilers are getting the better the end of that deal, not by much, but they are.

To your point on Orlov, why do the Caps move him if he's got that potential and he's cheap?

Old
04-22-2013, 11:18 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Nick Schultz has had to baby sit to an extent, plus the Oilers lack of depth isn't his fault.

Tom Gilbert has been a Healthy Scratch on a number of occasions this season, the Oilers are getting the better the end of that deal, not by much, but they are.

To your point on Orlov, why do the Caps move him if he's got that potential and he's cheap?
WSH has too many d-men, so Orlov could be dealt. Take Schultz out and they still have Green, Alzner, Carlsson, Eskine, Hillen, Oleksy, Kundratek for next year. Depending what happens this year in the playoffs with the Caps and then add Laich/Riberio who could be gone next year, you could see an Orlov being dealt for help up front.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:19 AM
joestevens29

I wonder if WSH looks to move Neuvrith. Hasn't exactly been that good the past couple years. Wonder if they look at a vet for Holtby, who himself has had struggles.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:20 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Now that RNH is hurt till possibly mid November or later you have to think that Gagner is no longer goin to get moved...

Can't start a season with no top six centres..
Yeah, I don't see any possibility that Gagner gets moved this summer now. Perhaps summer 2014, but this summer it just can't be done.

Quote:

Hmm.
I can easily see this happening. Probably with the Rangers because Lowe and Slats are close and have done these kind of CBA skirting deals before

Old
04-22-2013, 11:21 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Yeah, I don't see any possibility that Gagner gets moved this summer now. Perhaps summer 2014, but this summer it just can't be done.

I can easily see this happening. Probably with the Rangers because Lowe and Slats are close and have done these kind of CBA skirting deals before
Come on s7ark, Brian Leetch just couldn't come to terms here.

I don't know what the issue with Richter was though.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:27 AM
BowDangles

Do you think the Oilers could pry Fowler away from the Ducks with this years 1st and Gagner as the centre piece?

Anaheim needs a #2C to play behind Getzlaf after this year.

I know it would create a giant hole at centre for the Oilers but hypothetically is the value there or would Oilers have to add. Lets assume the Oilers lose a couple more times and are picking top 5 in the draft.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:

The Players still get paid, it's not like you can do it every year, so it's fairly minor.

The question becomes, who do the Rangers buyout? Powe, Pyatt and Boyle really look like the only candidates, unless the Rangers are thinking Richards, but wow that's alot of dollars.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:46 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Do you think the Oilers could pry Fowler away from the Ducks with this years 1st and Gagner as the centre piece?

Anaheim needs a #2C to play behind Getzlaf after this year.

I know it would create a giant hole at centre for the Oilers but hypothetically is the value there or would Oilers have to add. Lets assume the Oilers lose a couple more times and are picking top 5 in the draft.
I doubt it. Fowler was a guy they were going to build their defense around.

Is Koivu for sure retiring, because if he isn't they should be okay. Even so they could look at a UFA and wait for some of their younger guys. Or give Cogliano a bigger role.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
I doubt it. Fowler was a guy they were going to build their defense around.

Is Koivu for sure retiring, because if he isn't they should be okay. Even so they could look at a UFA and wait for some of their younger guys. Or give Cogliano a bigger role.
The Ducks and Derek Roy looked made for eachother come the offseason.

The thing I'm wonder, especially after seeing him last night, do they buy out Bryan Allen? Because he was dreadful last night.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:51 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
The Players still get paid, it's not like you can do it every year, so it's fairly minor.

The question becomes, who do the Rangers buyout? Powe, Pyatt and Boyle really look like the only candidates, unless the Rangers are thinking Richards, but wow that's alot of dollars.
Probably no one, now that I look at it.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Probably no one, now that I look at it.
They'll save a TON of money in guys just on buyouts right now.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Joe Hallenback

Fowler and Schultz can battle it our next season for who can be the worst minus player in the NHL

Old
04-22-2013, 12:20 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
The Ducks and Derek Roy looked made for eachother come the offseason.

The thing I'm wonder, especially after seeing him last night, do they buy out Bryan Allen? Because he was dreadful last night.
ANA strikes me as a team that won't buyout many guys. I don't know if they have the ownership to do so.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:29 PM
dyzfunctioned

In an ideal world, we sign Mark Streit and trade Hemsky for Andrej Sekera. Don't see either happening but it would give us:

Streit - Sekera
Smid - Schultz
Schultz - Petry
Fistric

Mix and match as you please but I'd be pretty satisfied with that d-corps.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:42 PM
488fitter

vCash: 210
When I hear the word impatient come from MacT's presser, I think of trades like these happening...

Eberle ---> Duchene
Paajarvi + 2013 1st ---> Lucic
Gagner + 2014 1st ---> Enstrom

Old
04-22-2013, 12:55 PM
stoff

Quote:
I see this from alot of people saying how are we going to replace Gagner if we trade him? There are quite a few ufa centers we could go after like Bozak, Roy, Weiss and then there are buyout centers that will be available and players we could trade for aswell. As an example Chicago is apparently looking to trade Bolland. If we trade Gagner for a top D and acquire Bolland i would be quite happy.

I guess the long way around it is that if we can trade Gagner for a top D i do it and don't concern myself with "well who is going to replace Gagner" because there will be options out there this summer.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:56 PM
stoff

Quote:
ANA strikes me as a team that won't buyout many guys. I don't know if they have the ownership to do so.
Ya i don't see them buying out more than 2

Old
04-22-2013, 01:16 PM
SonOfKatz35

Heres a proposal for you guys that I think will be unpopular to many oil fans but in the end will be better for our team. I think MacT's "bold move" will be moving Eberle as i believe hes the most expendable young player and forward that will bring in a lot of value.

Oilers:
Eberle (maybe add something it depends)

To

L.A.
Voynov
Bernier

Whether L.A. will do this or not is the real question but if this deal was on the table for the oil i think it needs to be done.

Oilers add a legitimate Top 4 dman with top 2 potential in Voynov and a number 1 goalie in Bernier (dubnyk is not the answer). It's only a matter of time before Bernier demands a trade and gets extremely impatient.

L.A. adds a number 1 RW who is young and will blend in very well with the talent up front that the kings already have in their lineup, while giving up their backup goalie (quick is their starter with that contract) and voynov which im sure will be difficult for them to give up but value needs to be coming both ways.

Sign Horton for size the top six and 3rd line Center(Bozak?). Aso add another Depth D-man a la free agent/trade (Douglas Murray?) Smyth retires/bought out (hopefully retires with honour) Buy out Horc.

Hall becomes Captain.

Hall Nuge Yakupov
Hemsky Gagner Horton
Paajarvi Bozak Jones
Brown Lander Petrell

J. Schultz Voyvov
Smid Petry
Murray N. Schultz

Bernier
Dubnyk

#PLAYOFFTEAM

Closed Thread