HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
And create another hole in our line-up?
Hemsky is a hole in the line up.

Frequently off the roster due to injuries, ineffective when on the roster.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:24 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I think it will be more like Pietrangelo 6.5M, Shattenkirk 5.5M, Berglund 4.5mil, Stewart 5.5mil, for a total of 22mil. Then they still have 7 players to sign to ice a complete roster with only 25mil in cap space so something has to give in St.Louis.
They'll sign those guys but I think Halak, Perron, Steen and Jaybo could be had for cheap.
They have $25M in cap space with 16 guys signed. Even if you take your above figures, which I think are on the high-end for all of them, that's $3M remaining to roster 3 players. They may have to sacrifice not re-signing someone like Cole/McDonald but they can sure as hell roster 3 players at $1M a piece.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:35 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Those are some big time home town discounts you're suggesting. God bless their GM if they can make those deals.
I can't think of any RFA d-man that got huge money on their first non-ELC contract other than Doughty and Karlsson who had proven far more than Pietrangelo at that point in their careers.

Weber got $4.5 per year. Yandle got $5.25 per year on his second contract. Myers got $5.5 per year. Goligoski got $4.6 per year on his second contract. OEL got $5.5 per year. Mike Green got $5.25 per year...

And that's ignoring guy's who signed cheap bridge contracts like Subban, MDZ, and guys who signed fairly cheap long-term like Carlson.

The only RFA d-men who got more than $5.5M per year were Doughty and Karlsson, who respectively had been nominated for, and won a Norris Trophy.

So to think Shattenkirk is going to get more than all of the above examples and Pietrangelo significantly more in a year when the cap is going down doesn't seem any more likely than the numbers I posted. And considering Stewart was abysmal the past two seasons I don't see them likely to unload the bank for him. And I don't see them paying as much/more for Berglund as they're paying Backes.

Not saying they 100% won't sign them for that much - just saying that a) there's reasons to support they won't get as much as was speculated, and b) even at high dollar figures the Blues can afford to re-sign all these guys.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
They have $25M in cap space with 16 guys signed. Even if you take your above figures, which I think are on the high-end for all of them, that's $3M remaining to roster 3 players. They may have to sacrifice not re-signing someone like Cole/McDonald but they can sure as hell roster 3 players at $1M a piece.
the economics in St Louis are not good. They spend near the bottom of the league (2nd lowest this year according to capgeeek)

signing their rfa will get them to the cap and that is 10 mill + more than they want to spend

Old
04-24-2013, 05:55 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
the economics in St Louis are not good. They spend near the bottom of the league (2nd lowest this year according to capgeeek)

signing their rfa will get them to the cap and that is 10 mill + more than they want to spend
Suppose time will tell but we've seen a lot of smaller market towns step it up recently and eliminate their self-imposed cap: Nashville did it when they re-signed Rinne and Weber and tried to re-sign Suter, Carolina did it this year when they acquired Staal and Semin, Anaheim did it with Getz and Perry, Minnesota to a lesser extent did it with Parise and Suter.

None of Nashville, Carolina, or Anaheim spent to the cap in recent years and then decided to make a push to be more competitive by spending to the cap. Considering the Blues have a fantastic group and will be making playoffs for the second consecutive year there's a lot of reason to speculate they'll follow suit.

Old
04-24-2013, 05:56 PM
clayton magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
1) Might we taint halls opinion if we never improve the team.

yeah and getting rid of Eberle is the only way to improve this team. right.

2) clutch...uhhu...k

How soon you forget the two World Junior games where he forced overtime in the most important games of his hockey career up to this point. I see him doing the same when we make the playoffs.

3) terrible, terrible logic to use when trying to build a team. you dont make decisions based off sentimental feelings, thats how we got stuck with the OBC.

It was one piece of logic not my entire argument. Many people use the argument of trading someone to the team they grew up cheering for as an extra asset. No need to single it out as I didn't. We always complain that nobody wants to play here - well Eberle does. We should appreciate that.

Nobody is saying Yakupov is going to be the best oiler ever, and nothing is guaranteeing that he will be better than eberle, but its not outrageous (perhaps likely), another factor is that Eberle would seem to have the more value around the league and would be an exceptional piece to use to upgrade our backend.

Why do we have to get rid of anyone? Our first overall is value enough to improve our team. If we get rid of someone it should be Gagner because he is a small 2nd line Center who can't win faceoffs. Not great for a puck possession team.
See my responses above.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:08 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Hemsky is a hole in the line up.

Frequently off the roster due to injuries, ineffective when on the roster.
And they also have some kids named Yakupov and Eberle who are pretty good on RW.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:45 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranford#30 View Post
What about building a proposal around Eberle + 2013 1st (top 5) for Kulikov + 2013 1st (top 2).

I'm an Eberle fan, but he and Gagner represent similar skills sets and size and we are in greater need of center depth than wing depth. This, imo, would be a bold move that MacT talked about in his presser. There may need to be added parts, but both teams can exchange prospects to address organizational needs.

Kulikov steps into our top pairing and we draft either Jones or MacKinnon to address our D or C depth.

Florida gets a young proven top line winger along with an excellent prospect.
Let's trade Hall, RNH, and Yak too. Then we can draft the top 4 picks this year.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:33 PM
doubledown99

Hopefully Howson watches Stallberg and Bickell closely tonight. Getting both if them would be huge for our 3rd line (as long as we don't have to break the bank with signing them)

Old
04-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Mr Sakich

A tampa win tonight gives us a legit shot at the 3rd pick. Tampa would be one point behind with a game vs Florida.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
A tampa win tonight gives us a legit shot at the 3rd pick. Tampa would be one point behind with a game vs Florida.
If we get one of Jones, Drouin or Mackinnon that would be unbelievable/incredibly embarrassing

Old
04-24-2013, 08:52 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

So maybe I'm late to the party but I've just realized how much we've gone full circle since the rebuild started. If I'm not mistaken, there was the same desperate urgency for improvement when we struck out signing UFA Hossa and trading for Heatley as there is now.

As they say if you don't learn from your mistakes you're bound to repeat them. So once again we are going into the off-season stinking of the same desperation.

I suppose the bright side is that we're in search of some good bottom 6ers rather than superstars.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:57 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
If we get one of Jones, Drouin or Mackinnon that would be unbelievable/incredibly embarrassing
Jones would be a home run.

Drouin is small and skilled....we have too much of that already.

MacKinnon.....hmmm....he has that "it" factor...may not produce the points that Drouin, Barkov, Nichuskin will produce in the NHL but his intangibles are through the roof.

I also dislike Drouin because his agent is a d-bag. lol.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:01 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
No it wouldn't. Nobody cares. Without looking, what team picked 2nd in 2001, and what team picked 3rd. The 2 players are only 600 career points apart by the way

04-24-2013, 09:04 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
And they also have some kids named Yakupov and Eberle who are pretty good on RW.
Oh I'm okay with dealing Hemsky. But for picks? C'mon.

I know this board loves prospects, but that's a dumb idea.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Soundwave

I really don't see it being necessary to trade any of our "fab five" for need at this point.

We're going to get another high pick which address another huge need in the big picture, most likely a big center.

You could perhaps in theory move Gagner + to go roll the dice on Tyler Myers or something in the summer and sign an interim no.2 C.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:15 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
So maybe I'm late to the party but I've just realized how much we've gone full circle since the rebuild started. If I'm not mistaken, there was the same desperate urgency for improvement when we struck out signing UFA Hossa and trading for Heatley as there is now.

As they say if you don't learn from your mistakes you're bound to repeat them. So once again we are going into the off-season stinking of the same desperation.

I suppose the bright side is that we're in search of some good bottom 6ers rather than superstars.
Big difference between what we were trying to do ~07-09 and now. Those bottom-6 like players don't have bidding wars over their services, nor do they demand huge overpays. Guys like Higgins, Lapierre, etc can be had for <2-2.25M and fill out a highly effective third line.

To fill out the top-6 it's likely going to take trades rather than signings - which is a big relief because we have some assets there.

We're no longer trying to acquire core pieces using signings/trades though. Our core is somewhat set with Hall/RNH/Yakupov in the fold.

It's time we use trade to fill out some other core positions though, including 2C and 1D/2D. Hopefully we don't fear parting with high quality prospects/players/picks to get it done.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:19 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I really don't see it being necessary to trade any of our "fab five" for need at this point.

We're going to get another high pick which address another huge need in the big picture, most likely a big center.

You could perhaps in theory move Gagner + to go roll the dice on Tyler Myers or something in the summer and sign an interim no.2 C.
I understand wanting to keep them together, but if it's going to take Eberle++ to get a true #1 defenseman, then it's a trade worth making.

We haven't seen a true #1 Dman on this team since the days of Pronger - the effect someone like that can have on your roster is amazing.

Lubo/Souray were good #3's (similar to Yandle) when we had them - guys traditionally sheltered on #2 pairings for their defensive deficiencies.

The closest thing to a true #1 we've had since Pronger is Pitkanen, but we never were patient enough with him to let him pan out. He's done some huge things for CAR in playoff runs since he's joined them.

After #1C it's the most vital position to fill out, and if it takes moving one of our #1RW's to acquire a #1D, I'm more than happy to do it.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

St Louis scores for the Lightning.... leader in the Art Ross race now... and the Lightning are winning 4-2... go Tampa.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Joey Moss

One point out of 3rd overall if Tampa wins and we lose.. (which it looks like will happen) God we're pathetic. If we're in 3rd how do we pass up on Drouin? (Assuming FLA takes Mack, COL takes Jones)

Old
04-24-2013, 09:30 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

If the season was a week longer Edmonton would likely be battling Florida for last place.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:33 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

St Louis gets his hat trick goal. TB have it in the bag.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Ringo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
One point out of 3rd overall if Tampa wins and we lose.. (which it looks like will happen) God we're pathetic. If we're in 3rd how do we pass up on Drouin? (Assuming FLA takes Mack, COL takes Jones)
I think you trade the pick for an immediate need. Drouin + for Lucic. Or Drouin + Petry + for Yandle and Hanzal.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo13 View Post
I think you trade the pick for an immediate need. Drouin + for Lucic. Or Drouin + Petry + for Yandle and Hanzal.
I wouldn't give the pick straight up for Lucic.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:39 PM
doubledown99

First MacT said it, now Stauffer has said (repeatedly).....the big 5 are NOT GETTING TRADED!!!!!

They are building around them. So if the insiders have said that why are some of you including them in proposals?

What a waste of time and useless exercise

Closed Thread