HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Koto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
They should try him out at center for the last 2 games. What do they have to lose exactly?
Barkov.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:36 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
They should try him out at center for the last 2 games. What do they have to lose exactly?
Well when asked earlier in the year if he wanted to play centre Hall's response was that if he was to make the move he would want the summer to prepare for it and go through a full training camp playing centre.

So other than Hall not wanted to there wouldn't be that much to lose..

Also, in Hall's secondary bonuses he has a chance of making a 2mil bonus if he finishes top 10 in either points, goals, assists or ppg.

Hall currently is around 12th I believe..

How much of this bonus (if he gets it) counts against the cap next year I wonder?

Old
04-26-2013, 10:36 AM
dyzfunctioned

Kane, Ladd, Trouba, Scheifele, and Bogosian are untouchable out of Winnipeg. Might as well not even bother proposing a trade for them. I don't see even Eberle prying any of them away other than maybe Scheifele; the rest are pretty much non-starters as far as I've heard.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Jets fans weren't too happy with a Eberle for Bogo trade, so I think that one might be dead in the water.
Bogo would hard to get, but Buff looks like he might be available. I would target him for a trade instead.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:49 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Bogo would hard to get, but Buff looks like he might be available. I would target him for a trade instead.
Buff's off season conditioning scares me... I am surprised how well he plays come regular season but his conditioning has always scared me away from wanting to acquire him.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:51 AM
BowDangles

‏@Hockey_tracker 3m
Buffalo News reports #Sabres Ryan Miller has put a for sale sign on his Buffalo townhouse

HAHA this is funny. What if he is just going to move somewhere else in Buffalo? I realize that there are rumours of him wanting out but this seems like the media is really reaching here..

Old
04-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
‏@Hockey_tracker 3m
Buffalo News reports #Sabres Ryan Miller has put a for sale sign on his Buffalo townhouse

HAHA this is funny. What if he is just going to move somewhere else in Buffalo? I realize that there are rumours of him wanting out but this seems like the media is really reaching here..
That is kind of funny, I wonder if they find a trade partner or if they just buy him out? Only one year left I believe.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Fuhryous

Quote:
These are from Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts.

22. Oilers GM Craig MacTavish, asked if he sees Taylor Hall as a winger or a centre: "We wanted to try him at centre this season, but aside from some faceoff work when Ryan Nugent-Hopkins struggled, it never materialized ... Terry O'Reilly always used to tell me, 'Position is just a place where you line up when they drop the puck.' Taylor covers a lot of ice from the wing."

23. MacTavish had another good quote: "My vision of the team will be very obvious very quickly." He pointed to Montreal as a team he hoped to emulate. It's tough to make trades right after the season because you can't deal with anyone in the playoffs and those who are out of it prefer to decompress before making important decisions. It's a good thing he was at the under-18s in Russia because this week's been a nightmare.

24. MacTavish did not specifically address Oscar Klefbom, but the sense is the Oilers consider the left-shooting defensive prospect an untouchable. I also think they are realistic about his impact, especially after Justin Schultz's late-season struggles. They believe he can be a top-pairing blue-liner, but maybe not for two years.

25. Finally, Edmonton is going to try and upgrade in goal. Devan Dubnyk's held them in a lot more games than the Oilers deserve, but they don't have much throughout the organization. I wouldn't be surprised to see them chase guys who can help them in both the NHL and AHL.

I am surprised and happy that MacT is looking for an upgrade in goal. I hope they get it, Dubnyk has played good this year but really needs to improve his rebound control. I don't see him being the answer next year..

Also to "emulate" Montreal seemed interesting to me... I am also glad that they are looking at Klefbom as a couple years away from playing big minutes. I would hate to see him get thrown to the wolves his first year in the NHL. They need to ease him into things.

I also wonder if they start Hall at centre starting at the beginning of training camp (Hall said if he was going to try it, he would want to do it from the start of the year).

As Friedman stated, I also see Dubnyk as the type of goalie who will keep you in games, but will rarely steal them. The Oilers need a goalie to steal games. Case in point, the other night against Chicago...the first goal he should have had without question and on the Oduya goal, he was way too far over on the short side, so another he should have likely stopped. That said, he also made some very nice saves and kept the score close. I can only recall one game where he outright stood on his head and stole a game and that was the one against Columbus. If they're going with Dubnyk next season, they better figure out how to make clones of Shea Weber because they're going to need six of them to clear rebounds and clear the crease.

As far as UFA's go, I'd like to see Mike Smith on this team. I'm sure he's going to want at least double what his current contract is, so that would be 7.5 mill tied up between the pipes, with Dubnyk. With a shrinking cap, I'd be all for trading Dubnyk and signing a capable backup for a 1-1.5 mill (like Chris Mason).

Old
04-26-2013, 11:23 AM
backhandsauce

Do this.

Trade for,

Ryan Malone
Steve Ott

Sign,

Jagr
Streit
Mike Smith

Malone can play with Nuge and Ebs
Jagr can play with Hall and Gagner.

Someone else can figure out the rest.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:26 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post

As Friedman stated, I also see Dubnyk as the type of goalie who will keep you in games, but will rarely steal them. The Oilers need a goalie to steal games. Case in point, the other night against Chicago...the first goal he should have had without question and on the Oduya goal, he was way too far over on the short side, so another he should have likely stopped. That said, he also made some very nice saves and kept the score close. I can only recall one game where he outright stood on his head and stole a game and that was the one against Columbus. If they're going with Dubnyk next season, they better figure out how to make clones of Shea Weber because they're going to need six of them to clear rebounds and clear the crease.

As far as UFA's go, I'd like to see Mike Smith on this team. I'm sure he's going to want at least double what his current contract is, so that would be 7.5 mill tied up between the pipes, with Dubnyk. With a shrinking cap, I'd be all for trading Dubnyk and signing a capable backup for a 1-1.5 mill (like Chris Mason).
Mike Smith scares me.. He has had one good season and I think it may have been a product of Phoenix's "defence first" mentality..

He looked great in the playoffs but it seems like there is a trend among goalies to come out of no where and have one out standing season than disappear.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:29 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Do this.

Trade for,

Ryan Malone
Steve Ott

Sign,

Jagr
Streit
Mike Smith

Sure these would be good moves but they should be on the bottom of the priority list... Mark Streit alone is no where near the upgrade the Oilers need on D and none of these moves address their bottom six.

If they some how acquire a top 2 D man than 3-4 bottom six gritty forwards than these moves would be awesome.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Koto

want nothing to do with smith as a starter...if its a backup contract...sure whatever.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:31 AM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Do this.

Trade for,

Ryan Malone
Steve Ott

Sign,

Jagr
Streit
Mike Smith

Malone and Ott combine for $7.5M. If we could even get any of those three UFA to come here you're looking at $5-6M each.

Where the hell are you getting all this cap space? Not to mention the unlikelihood of half those players coming here.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:38 AM
backhandsauce

Quote:
Do this.

Trade for,

Ryan Malone
Steve Ott

Sign,

Jagr
Streit
Mike Smith

Malone and Ott combine for $7.5M. If we could even get any of those three UFA to come here you're looking at $5-6M each.

Where the hell are you getting all this cap space? Not to mention the unlikelihood of half those players coming here.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:40 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Quote:
Do this.

Trade for,

Ryan Malone
Steve Ott

Sign,

Jagr
Streit
Mike Smith

Haha that is a funny.

"Oilers should trade for Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsuyk, Zetterberg, PK Subban, Quick and Weber...Some one else can figure out the rest"

Old
04-26-2013, 11:44 AM
BowDangles

Oilers bottom six for tonight.

Jones-Belanger-Lander, Smyth-Smithson-Brown

I would be happy to see only Brown and possibly Lander to be in the bottom six next year. Everyone else is too soft.

I would prefer to have Lander as the 13th forward but finding centre men seems to be hard.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Ricky Bobby

What do Oilers fans think of a Hemsky for Derek Morris deal?

Coyotes need help at forward and Hemsky would be one of their top powerplay options.

Oilers gain a reliable 20 minute a night 2nd pairing quality veteran dman, save 2.25 million in cap space and opens up a spot for a more robust winger to be inserted into the lineup.

Both players are UFAs after next season.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 04-26-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old
04-26-2013, 11:46 AM
jsho

Quote:
Do this.

Trade for,

Ryan Malone
Steve Ott

Sign,

Jagr
Streit
Mike Smith

I would not be looking at Mike Smith at all. Phoenix has their system they run and it inflates how good a goalie really is. Bryzgalov is the perfect example. Sure Smith had a great season last year, but even Jason Labarbera has a solid gaa in Phoenix. Depending where he goes next year I don't see Smith being anything special.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:48 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
These are from Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts.

22. Oilers GM Craig MacTavish, asked if he sees Taylor Hall as a winger or a centre: "We wanted to try him at centre this season, but aside from some faceoff work when Ryan Nugent-Hopkins struggled, it never materialized ... Terry O'Reilly always used to tell me, 'Position is just a place where you line up when they drop the puck.' Taylor covers a lot of ice from the wing."

23. MacTavish had another good quote: "My vision of the team will be very obvious very quickly." He pointed to Montreal as a team he hoped to emulate. It's tough to make trades right after the season because you can't deal with anyone in the playoffs and those who are out of it prefer to decompress before making important decisions. It's a good thing he was at the under-18s in Russia because this week's been a nightmare.

24. MacTavish did not specifically address Oscar Klefbom, but the sense is the Oilers consider the left-shooting defensive prospect an untouchable. I also think they are realistic about his impact, especially after Justin Schultz's late-season struggles. They believe he can be a top-pairing blue-liner, but maybe not for two years.

25. Finally, Edmonton is going to try and upgrade in goal. Devan Dubnyk's held them in a lot more games than the Oilers deserve, but they don't have much throughout the organization. I wouldn't be surprised to see them chase guys who can help them in both the NHL and AHL.

I am surprised and happy that MacT is looking for an upgrade in goal. I hope they get it, Dubnyk has played good this year but really needs to improve his rebound control. I don't see him being the answer next year..

Also to "emulate" Montreal seemed interesting to me... I am also glad that they are looking at Klefbom as a couple years away from playing big minutes. I would hate to see him get thrown to the wolves his first year in the NHL. They need to ease him into things.

I also wonder if they start Hall at centre starting at the beginning of training camp (Hall said if he was going to try it, he would want to do it from the start of the year).
More then anything to me it's suggested our depth in goaltending is horrid, not Dubnyk will be upgraded.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:52 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
More then anything to me it's suggested our depth in goaltending is horrid, not Dubnyk will be upgraded.
Yeah but judging how they went after Ben Bishop at the trade deadline leads me to believe that they are not sold on Dubbie having the #1 spot solely to himself.

I think they want it to be a 1A/1B situation, unless they can land a big fish but that should be on or near the bottom of their priority list.

I do agree with a post a read earlier about Dubnyk keeping us in games but never stealing games.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:56 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Yeah but judging how they went after Ben Bishop at the trade deadline leads me to believe that they are not sold on Dubbie having the #1 spot solely to himself.

I think they want it to be a 1A/1B situation, unless they can land a big fish but that should be on or near the bottom of their priority list.

I do agree with a post a read earlier about Dubnyk keeping us in games but never stealing games.
I think that's what it is which leads me to believe they need a better backup. One capable of playing 35ish games a year.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I think that's what it is which leads me to believe they need a better backup. One capable of playing 35ish games a year.
Luckily for the Oilers their are some decent platoon goalies on the market this summer in Nabokov, Theodore, Emery, Khudobin that the Oilers could entice by overpaying on a short term deal.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:11 PM
HotToddy75

The more I think about it, the Oilers have had a lot of veteran players who seem to plummet in value during their time with the Oilers. And, the more I think about it, I wonder if we have had that happen more than other teams?

I think of the vets who took steps back just this season: Horc, Eager, Hordi, Whitney, Smyth, Belanger, Peckham, Sutton. Even Hemsky. If these guys had perfomed closer to their career averages, maybe its a playoff team. But that's 9 of 23 roster guys from opening day who underperformed or didn't play at all. No team can survive that.

Then think about all the guys over the last 10 years: Pisani, O'Sullivan, Eric Cole, Kotalik, Lupul, Pitkannen, Dopita, Moreau, Geoff Sanderson, Nilsson. Even Michael Nylander (who we never got, thank God). Guys who suddenly underperformed, or were never that good in the first place.

Some guys are victims of injury and health. So I can understand Whitney and Pisani. These things happen pretty randomly. Some of it must be poor pro scouting. Maybe Belanger and O'Sullivan are in this category. Guys who seemed decent on another team, but once here we find out they can't perform to that level.

Another category are the vets who management punished. Souray, Comrie and now Peckham. Was the team so strong that it could sit a guy for personal reasons?

Overall, can it be said that the Oilers have suffered over the last 10 years because they have had so many veterans' stock go down while under contract? More so than other teams? Can it be said that until the Oiler's learn how to support their veteran players and help them be successful, the kids will be hung out to dry?

FWIW, my thought is that Sutton's departure and Whitney's debilitating injury decimated the left defense position. The ripple effect was that all the forwards looked worse than they were, and all the right dmen were playing with less talented partners. Beef up that left side with 2 strong guys and things should right themselves. Maybe swap out 3 - 5 forwards only because it can't hurt.

But looking back, there won't be any success until the veteran players show up and perform to expectations.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:15 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
The Oilers wanting to upgrade their goaltending doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Dubnyk.

They have a 40 year old backup whose only 2 seasons above .910 since the last lockout have been in contract years. Their minor league goaltending is in shambles as well. Danis was one of the AHL's top goalies last year, but has been underwhelming this season. Roy has been even worse, and Bunz has struggled mightily in the ECHL. Roy's saving grace is that he has actually shown he can play in both the AHL and ECHL in the past. This season could be a one-off. Bunz still hasn't shown that he can handle playing in the ECHL, and his one game in OKC was terrible (at according to his SV%).

I think they'd probably like to find a real NHL calibre backup as well as a #1/2 guy to split duties with Roy in OKC. Dubnyk has been good, but everything after him is a disaster and needs to be upgraded.

04-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
The Oilers wanting to upgrade their goaltending doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Dubnyk.

They have a 40 year old backup whose only 2 seasons above .910 since the last lockout have been in contract years. Their minor league goaltending is in shambles as well. Danis was one of the AHL's top goalies last year, but has been underwhelming this season. Roy has been even worse, and Bunz has struggled mightily in the ECHL. Roy's saving grace is that he has actually shown he can play in both the AHL and ECHL in the past. This season could be a one-off. Bunz still hasn't shown that he can handle playing in the ECHL, and his one game in OKC was terrible (at according to his SV%).

I think they'd probably like to find a real NHL calibre backup as well as a #1/2 guy to split duties with Roy in OKC. Dubnyk has been good, but everything after him is a disaster and needs to be upgraded.
Agreed, I think Bowdangles interpretation of Friedmann's thought is incorrect.

The Oilers aren't looking to find a goaltender that's better than Dubnyk to replace him, because Dubnyk has had a pretty good season. They're looking for a goaltender to push him or provide some quality depth.

Closed Thread