HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 12:51 PM
GDU

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid49 View Post
I think we should sign Weiss. 2nd line center who can win draws.
This x 1000. Weiss is a vet who should help the locker room he's about the Same offesnively as gagner and just brings more intangibles. Trade gags for some d help. Buyout horcoff. Draft barkov and let him play sheltered minutes. Sign a winger like clarkson and a goalie to challenge dubbie.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
I think best bet/most realistic option is to trade for one d-man (Sekera is the target I really think we should go after, as I said before) and then sign one UFA d-man. There's plenty on the market from Streit, Clitsome, Scuderi, Leopold, Lydman, and White. Obviously Streit is the clear #1 option of that list but all would be a good add.

Smid-Petry
Schultz - Sekera
Schultz - UFA (Streit/Scuderi/Leopold/Lydman)
Agreed. the Oilers can improve their defensive roster without just adding another rookie (Klefbom) or third pairing. Adding a veteran 2/3 dman (or two) would help immensely. And some of those names you listed aren't the big names or sexiest names, but they would improve our lineup nevertheless.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
The Oilers wanting to upgrade their goaltending doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Dubnyk.

They have a 40 year old backup whose only 2 seasons above .910 since the last lockout have been in contract years. Their minor league goaltending is in shambles as well. Danis was one of the AHL's top goalies last year, but has been underwhelming this season. Roy has been even worse, and Bunz has struggled mightily in the ECHL. Roy's saving grace is that he has actually shown he can play in both the AHL and ECHL in the past. This season could be a one-off. Bunz still hasn't shown that he can handle playing in the ECHL, and his one game in OKC was terrible (at according to his SV%).

I think they'd probably like to find a real NHL calibre backup as well as a #1/2 guy to split duties with Roy in OKC. Dubnyk has been good, but everything after him is a disaster and needs to be upgraded.
I hear Jeff Deslauriers will be a UFA this year.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Bobblehead

Sign - Roszival (3 x $2M), Stallberg (3 x $3.3M), Hendricks ( 2 x $1M), Kotsopoulus-type ($750K)
Gagner, Lander, 2nd round pick - Sbisa, Beleskey, Hiller/Gibson (salary dump to afford Gagner if they trade Hiller or keep Hiller and move a young guy) they have Hiller, Fasth, Bobkov, Gibson & Andersson
Hemsky, Hartikainen, 2nd Draft pick - Anisimov
Potter, 6th round pick - Tanner Glass, draft pick for Raphael Diaz

Hall-RNH-Eberle
PRV-Anisimov-Yak
Belesky-Horcoff- Stallberg
Glass-Hendricks-Brown
+Kotsopouluos-type, Smithson

Roszival-J. Schultz
Sbisa - Smid
N. Schultz-Petry
+Diaz, Fistric

Hiller/Gibson
Dubnyk

flame away..........

Old
04-26-2013, 01:01 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Agreed. the Oilers can improve their defensive roster without just adding another rookie (Klefbom) or third pairing. Adding a veteran 2/3 dman (or two) would help immensely. And some of those names you listed aren't the big names or sexiest names, but they would improve our lineup nevertheless.
Well technically adding any NHL defence man to our line up would improve it... Whitney/Fistric/Potter are not (or were not this year) NHL caliber D.

It is a matter of how much you want to improve it.

Ideally I would like them to trade for a 1-2D and than sign/trade for a 3-4D.

Realistically they will hopefully sign a 3-4D and sign/trade for a 5-6D...

Old
04-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
This x 1000. Weiss is a vet who should help the locker room he's about the Same offesnively as gagner and just brings more intangibles. Trade gags for some d help. Buyout horcoff. Draft barkov and let him play sheltered minutes. Sign a winger like clarkson and a goalie to challenge dubbie.
What intangibles? I sincerely doubt that Weiss would bring any intangibles greater than Gagner. I'm not a huge fan of Gagner, but even I recognize his grit, and how positively his teammates think of him.

Weiss was crap this year, even before his season ending wrist injury. Historically he has scored a little more than Gagner, but theres no one else in Florida to play with, but also no one else in Florida to take away prime minutes.

Weiss is decent offensively, mediocre defensively so in a lot of ways similar to Gagner but I sincerely doubt the intangibles. How many times has Weiss fought? Compare that to how many times that Gagner has fought?

Old
04-26-2013, 01:16 PM
dnicks17

Weiss is much better on face-offs and defensively.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Fuhryous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Mike Smith scares me.. He has had one good season and I think it may have been a product of Phoenix's "defence first" mentality..

He looked great in the playoffs but it seems like there is a trend among goalies to come out of no where and have one out standing season than disappear.
Tippet's system has also made me think he maybe looks a lot better than he really is...but as far as UFA targets though, he is likely the best out there until buyouts occur anyways (not hinting at R.L., do not want). In the games Smith played against the Oilers, which is not the best comparison, he was very sound position wise, didn't give up a lot of rebounds and as we all know can play the puck very well. I'd be willing to give him a shot, but would not overpay for his services, which in my opinion would be anything more than 4-4.5 million per season. I do believe though that Mike Smith has that game stealing ability which Dubnyk does not have. Bryzgalov always was kind of that aloof, "water off a duck's back" kind of goalie who never takes thing seriously, whereas Smith is the polar opposite.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:24 PM
duul

vCash: 50
Saw this on the main board.

Pacioretty, Bourque, and Emelin

for

Eberle, 2nd round pick.

This would help our lineup so much and give Montreal an all star quality forward.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:25 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
Tippet's system has also made me think he maybe looks a lot better than he really is...but as far as UFA targets though, he is likely the best out there until buyouts occur anyways (not hinting at R.L., do not want). In the games Smith played against the Oilers, which is not the best comparison, he was very sound position wise, didn't give up a lot of rebounds and as we all know can play the puck very well. I'd be willing to give him a shot, but would not overpay for his services, which in my opinion would be anything more than 4-4.5 million per season. I do believe though that Mike Smith has that game stealing ability which Dubnyk does not have. Bryzgalov always was kind of that aloof, "water off a duck's back" kind of goalie who never takes thing seriously, whereas Smith is the polar opposite.
Our goalie could use that, so lets target Tippet instead.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:28 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
What intangibles? I sincerely doubt that Weiss would bring any intangibles greater than Gagner. I'm not a huge fan of Gagner, but even I recognize his grit, and how positively his teammates think of him.

Weiss was crap this year, even before his season ending wrist injury. Historically he has scored a little more than Gagner, but theres no one else in Florida to play with, but also no one else in Florida to take away prime minutes.

Weiss is decent offensively, mediocre defensively so in a lot of ways similar to Gagner but I sincerely doubt the intangibles. How many times has Weiss fought? Compare that to how many times that Gagner has fought?
This just in: Sam Gagner is a gritty hockey player:

Old
04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Saw this on the main board.

Pacioretty, Bourque, and Emelin

for

Eberle, 2nd round pick.

This would help our lineup so much and give Montreal an all star quality forward.
I don't see why Montreal does that. Patches it probably the best player in the trade. We would have to add.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post

Sigh. Is Sam Gagner comparable to Mike Richards? Of course not.

But I recognize that Gagner has been a willing fighter, and that, to me, adds some measure of "grit" to his game.

I can't say the same about Horcoff, Hemsky, Smyth, Belanger, RNH, Eberle.

Gagner had one fighting major this season, tied for second on the team with four others.

Last year Gagner had two fighting majors, tied for fourth on the team behind Hordichuk, Eager and Sutton. Peckham and Petrell had the same number of fighting majors as Gagner did last year.

in fact Gagner has had at least one fighting major every season dating back to 2007.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:43 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Sigh. Is Sam Gagner comparable to Mike Richards? Of course not.

But I recognize that Gagner has been a willing fighter, and that, to me, adds some measure of "grit" to his game.

I can't say the same about Horcoff, Hemsky, Smyth, Belanger, RNH, Eberle.

Gagner had one fighting major this season, tied for second on the team with four others.

Last year Gagner had two fighting majors, tied for fourth on the team behind Hordichuk, Eager and Sutton. Peckham and Petrell had the same number of fighting majors as Gagner did last year.

in fact Gagner has had at least one fighting major every season dating back to 2007.
This. Question Gagner's defensive ability all you want. But he competes and he has heart, something this team lacks.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Well technically adding any NHL defence man to our line up would improve it... Whitney/Fistric/Potter are not (or were not this year) NHL caliber D.

It is a matter of how much you want to improve it.

Ideally I would like them to trade for a 1-2D and than sign/trade for a 3-4D.

Realistically they will hopefully sign a 3-4D and sign/trade for a 5-6D...
Trading fora 1D would cost huge assets. And usually 1D costs a lot in salary wise too. I would prefer they go for smaller whales instead at the 2/3 D position.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:

There's a clip of RNH falling into the boards too, why didn't you post that.

I love people that use these clips to prove points. Like when a poster found a clip of Dustin Penner using his body and laying people out to say he was a physical force, this is the same kind of thing. Posting an isolated incident like this doesn't do much to suggest Gagner is soft or whatever it is you're trying to prove.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Weiss is much better on face-offs and defensively.
Faceoffs for sure. I don't mind adding Weiss as a UFA replacement for Gagner, meaning the Oilers trade Gagner for a defenseman.

Would Weiss cost less or more salary than Gagner?

Old
04-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Gabriel6676

Quote:

Omg.....ROFL!!!!!!!

Old
04-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Faceoffs for sure. I don't mind adding Weiss as a UFA replacement for Gagner, meaning the Oilers trade Gagner for a defenseman.

Probably more, considering he has no affiliation with the Oilers and other teams will be bidding on him as a UFA. I doubt we could get him for any less than 5 mil.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Gabriel6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post

I love people that use these clips to prove points. Like when a poster found a clip of Dustin Penner using his body and laying people out to say he was a physical force, this is the same kind of thing. Posting an isolated incident like this doesn't do much to suggest Gagner is soft or whatever it is you're trying to prove.
Obviously it proves nothing - but entertainment value? Satisfyingly high

Old
04-26-2013, 01:55 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post

it is sort of like people who use the expression "Napoleon complex" when describing short guys who try to act big-- problem is Napoleon was a normal sized man for his era--just historian did not like him and made an issue over his height--ignore that he was of normal height for the time-- people use snap shots is back up their case and ignore the large information given

Old
04-26-2013, 01:57 PM
dnicks17

Quote:

Hard to say.

I think you'd be looking at anywhere between $4-4.5M for either of them.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Gabriel6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
it is sort of like people who use the expression "Napoleon complex" when describing short guys who try to act big-- problem is Napoleon was a normal sized man for his era--just historian did not like him and made an issue over his height--ignore that he was of normal height for the time-- people use snap shots is back up their case and ignore the large information given
Well put agreed.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:13 PM
rockinghockey

STL has plenty of cap space but they do have a team cap. Currently for the 13-14 season they have 41.3mil. The players that they have to resign are Shattenkirk, Pietro, Berglund, and Stewart as the big players that will cost money to resign. I am guessing that their team cap will be about 58mil. So guessing what these players will make are:
Shatty- 3.5mil
Pietro- 5.5mil
Berglund- 3.5mil
Stewart- 4.5mil
Total- 17mil added to the 41.3mil is 58.3mil. They also have other players that they would have to resign. If we get a player like Barkov or Mackinnon, what type of deal can we make with STL for two of those players. We know that Pietro won't be traded so two of Stewart, Berglund or Shatty. What would we have to add to our draft pick to get two of these players?

Old
04-26-2013, 02:16 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
STL has plenty of cap space but they do have a team cap. Currently for the 13-14 season they have 41.3mil. The players that they have to resign are Shattenkirk, Pietro, Berglund, and Stewart as the big players that will cost money to resign. I am guessing that their team cap will be about 58mil. So guessing what these players will make are:
Shatty- 3.5mil
Pietro- 5.5mil
Berglund- 3.5mil
Stewart- 4.5mil
Total- 17mil added to the 41.3mil is 58.3mil. They also have other players that they would have to resign. If we get a player like Barkov or Mackinnon, what type of deal can we make with STL for two of those players. We know that Pietro won't be traded so two of Stewart, Berglund or Shatty. What would we have to add to our draft pick to get two of these players?
What draft pick? The 2014 1st?

For Stewart and Berglund?

Yikes.

Last edited by dnicks17: 04-26-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Closed Thread