HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2013, 03:36 AM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'd be sorta OK with Gagner there, but they really would have to go get a Steve Ott/RJ Umberger type in that case to play 3C or go find a Jarret Stoll type somehow.
That's where we differ, personally I'm not o.k. with him as our 2C for the foreseeable future. Truth be told we could really use both a Nurse type and a guy that would bring more intangibles to the table than Gagner at C.

04-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Ricky Bobby

I could really see the Blue Jackets and Oilers hooking up on a deal.

-Oilers top pick (7th overall at the moment)
-MPS (the Oilers are to small and non-physical to have him a spot for him in the lineup, he'll get plenty of chance with the Jackets)
-Belanger (bad contract to balance out taking on the Umberger contract)

For

-Tyutin (would instantly be the top Dman and has a good contract at 4.5 for the next 5 years)
-Umberger (with the Jackets retaining 500K per year making him a 4.1 million per year player who plays a physical, defensively responsible game)
-Rangers 1st overall that will land in the 15-20 range of the draft

Old
04-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Paralyzer008

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...204992331.html

Possibly a bit of a reach, mainly because he's a right shooting d-man so it may not make sense, but how would you guys feel if the Oilers went after Dustin Byfuglien? Maybe using their pick as bait?

If he doesn't work as a d-man, he works as a power forward. Win/win right?

Old
04-27-2013, 04:13 PM
MadMax82*

Dustin would be a nice addition

Old
04-27-2013, 05:40 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
after that embarassment last night when potter cowered when rupp and whoever else came at him and no one on the ice would drop their gloves the oilers need to get a lucic, prust, any one that will fight someone when the time arises. last night was so sad to watch.

Old
04-27-2013, 05:44 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
after that embarassment last night when potter cowered when rupp and whoever else came at him and no one on the ice would drop their gloves the oilers need to get a lucic, prust, any one that will fight someone when the time arises. last night was so sad to watch.
clutterbuck would cower, Ott would cower, Kesler would cower etc etc

Most "tough" players actually would have done the same thing there. It gave us a 5 on 3 for a full 2 minutes.

Our team needs to get bigger and tougher, but that was not the time.

Konopka fighting for the Wild actually screwed up their bore the other team to death gameplan royally.

Old
04-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
You mean when the linesman refused to let Potter defend himself, and even dragged him to the ice while Rupp was punching Potter in the back of the head rather than letting go?

Old
04-27-2013, 06:18 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I could really see the Blue Jackets and Oilers hooking up on a deal.

-Oilers top pick (7th overall at the moment)
-MPS (the Oilers are to small and non-physical to have him a spot for him in the lineup, he'll get plenty of chance with the Jackets)
-Belanger (bad contract to balance out taking on the Umberger contract)

For

-Tyutin (would instantly be the top Dman and has a good contract at 4.5 for the next 5 years)
-Umberger (with the Jackets retaining 500K per year making him a 4.1 million per year player who plays a physical, defensively responsible game)
-Rangers 1st overall that will land in the 15-20 range of the draft
You mean the MPS who is 6'3", 208lbs and has been driving the net and going to the dirty areas all year?

04-27-2013, 06:29 PM
jmoss45

With Florida's offensive/PP woes, I wonder if they'd deal some useful bottom 6 players for Hemsky?

I'd take Kopecky+Goc for Hemsky+Harski (4.7 mil in, 6 mil out).

I could live with a bottom 6 of:

MPS-Goc-Kopecky
Smyth-Horcoff-Brown

That turns Hemsky into 2 valuable pieces, and gives us an effective checking line we sorely need with the way the 2nd line gets eaten alive matchup-wise.

Last edited by jmoss45: 04-27-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old
04-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
You mean the MPS who is 6'3", 208lbs and has been driving the net and going to the dirty areas all year?
More the player who doesn't throw enough hits, block enough shots or fight and doesn't score enough to be a top 6 player (and is looking more like he never will as the lure of him being drafted high becomes a distant memory).

Old
04-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Just watching the Blue Jackets-Predators game, wow Forsberg looks like a stud. He looks like a mix between Hall + RNH (not the toughness of Hall, but more scoring prowess than RNH)
I think Nashville fleeced Washington in that trade.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:49 AM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Just watching the Blue Jackets-Predators game, wow Forsberg looks like a stud. He looks like a mix between Hall + RNH (not the toughness of Hall, but more scoring prowess than RNH)
I think Nashville fleeced Washington in that trade.
I don't think you could have picked more opposite players for the comparison. A cross between Nuge and Hall could be anything from a small winger who's bad on his edges with an average powered yet wild shot to a dominating center who hits everything, is one of the fastest skaters in the league, can turn on a dime, and has a shot that makes Stamkos jealous.

04-28-2013, 02:09 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

In order for the team to continue trending upwards, MacT needs to add some solid veterans. Two guys who come to mind are Jagr and Dan Boyle. Jagr is a UFA and if you toss some money at him he will come short term. I think he could teach our skilled forwards a thing or two and he'll definitely help the team in the short term. Boyle is more problematic. He is a UFA in 2014 but could probably be acquired via trade this offseason if the Sharks want to start a retool. Boyle would be fantastic for Schultz to learn from especially. Obviously then management needs to augment the team with better checkers and more physical players, but those are two guys who I think could really benefit some of our younger players.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:39 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
In order for the team to continue trending upwards, MacT needs to add some solid veterans. Two guys who come to mind are Jagr and Dan Boyle. Jagr is a UFA and if you toss some money at him he will come short term. I think he could teach our skilled forwards a thing or two and he'll definitely help the team in the short term. Boyle is more problematic. He is a UFA in 2014 but could probably be acquired via trade this offseason if the Sharks want to start a retool. Boyle would be fantastic for Schultz to learn from especially. Obviously then management needs to augment the team with better checkers and more physical players, but those are two guys who I think could really benefit some of our younger players.
Would love to acquire Boyle.

Jagr would be interesting too. If we get trade Hemsky in order to acquire a d-man, then Jagr could fill-in a similar role.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:46 AM
SLURVE

Not sure if this has been suggested or not but why not have MacT trade up with Carolina offering 2 or 3 dmen of Petry, Marincin, Whitney or similar. Since Carolina is in need more of a Dman (Nurse or Zadarov) than another centre to match the Staals, it would be a better for us to get the 5th spot and pry one of the big size talents of Barkov or Valeri Nichushkin (c/lw) away; and this would make Gagner (smaller size) more expendable. It would be an awesome first and second lines. Besides, we do have enough dmen in the pipeline such as Klefbom, Gernat, Musil, Marincin, Teubert...).

Old
04-28-2013, 02:55 AM
Cerebral

One team I think might be receptive to making a deal is Philly. They had a relatively poor season and might be open to moving a player for our pick. Any thoughts on a deal like this?

to Edm: Coburn, Talbot
to Phil: Edm 1st 2013, N. Schultz

I have no clue if Philly says "yes" to this but I think it's a move that could help the Oilers big time. While I'm fine with keeping the pick, I don't see any way to really address our top 4 defensive issues without moving the pick (unless a team out there loves Gagner). Coburn would be a good partner for Schultz and he's still young enough that he'll be with the team for a while. He's also signed for three more seasons at a reasonable $4.5M which fits well with our payroll structure.

If the Oilers made this move and then signed Streit, we'd have a much-transformed defensive core.

Streit-Smid
Coburn-Schultz
Petry-Potter/Klefbom

Last edited by Cerebral: 04-28-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old
04-28-2013, 03:07 AM
Soundwave

If our 1st is going to Philly I want Couturier coming back.

Old
04-28-2013, 03:35 AM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
Not sure if this has been suggested or not but why not have MacT trade up with Carolina offering 2 or 3 dmen of Petry, Marincin, Whitney or similar. Since Carolina is in need more of a Dman (Nurse or Zadarov) than another centre to match the Staals, it would be a better for us to get the 5th spot and pry one of the big size talents of Barkov or Valeri Nichushkin (c/lw) away; and this would make Gagner (smaller size) more expendable. It would be an awesome first and second lines. Besides, we do have enough dmen in the pipeline such as Klefbom, Gernat, Musil, Marincin, Teubert...).
Trade 2 or 3 d-men to move up 2 spots?!? Including Petry? Our only competent 2-way d-man?

For a rookie C that would make a six year vet expendable? In 3 years?

You think we have enough d-men in the pipeline? Teubert is a DUD. The others need plenty of seasoning at the AHL level.

Our trading chips are Gagner and Hemsky. That's it. Whitney's UFA, the rest are nearly useless or keepers.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:26 AM
MetaOil1993

My UFA wishlist that I hope the Oilers take a look at for the bottom 6 and defense. Sorry if my evaluation on the players isn't that informative since I had limited viewings on other teams this year.

C Boyd Gordon - Solid 4th line center that knows his role, Good PK player and solid on face offs. Maybe we can get him for a year or 2 until Lander is ready?

LW Matt Hendricks
- A good energy player with great character, Hes a similar player that can replace Jones on the 4th line IMO if we let him walk. Hendricks would be cheaper too. He sticks up for team mates which is something we need.
Side note: Hes a beast on shootouts.

LW Bryan Bickell - A huge 6'4 233 lbs power forward that can chip in with some offense and be a beast on the fore check and great along the boards. Very physical too which is a welcomed addition to the Oilers. I always notice him when we play the Hawks.

LW/C? Patrick Bordeleau - A mammoth of a man 6'6 225 lbs thats very physical. Hes an enforcer type that can play a regular shift. Hes a pretty good skater too for a man his size. Would be an ideal 13-14th forward for us that can help protect the kids when hes in the lineup.

D Andrew Ference - An Edmonton boy that would add experience to our relatively young back end. He seems to me like a more physical N Schultz but might be a cheaper option if the Oilers are interested in moving N Schultz and his 3.5m cap hit.

D Mark Streit - An older puck mover that would be a huge upgrade over Ryan Whitney. We need players that can help move the puck up to our skilled speedy forwards and hes the best on the UFA market IMO. I know some people don't like his advanced stats or +/- but I could see the Oil targeting him from experience with Krueger.

D Rob Scuderi - 2 time Stanley Cup winner that has success playing with a skilled D partner (Scuderi-Letang and Scuderi-Doughty/Voynov) I think he would make wonderful D partner for Justin Schultz. I could see L.A letting him go with the emergence of some of their young D (Muzzin/Martinez) and a being a similar player to Robyn Regehr, Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene.

G Anton Khudobin - A younger Khabby? I could see a lot of teams lining up to get this guy but there is also rumors of him playing in Russia too. Had a solid year as the backup to Rask in Boston and could be a solid goalie that can help push Dubey next year and take a load off him.

Last edited by MetaOil1993: 04-28-2013 at 04:32 AM.
Old
04-28-2013, 04:56 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
One team I think might be receptive to making a deal is Philly. They had a relatively poor season and might be open to moving a player for our pick. Any thoughts on a deal like this?

to Edm: Coburn, Talbot
to Phil: Edm 1st 2013, N. Schultz

I have no clue if Philly says "yes" to this but I think it's a move that could help the Oilers big time. While I'm fine with keeping the pick, I don't see any way to really address our top 4 defensive issues without moving the pick (unless a team out there loves Gagner). Coburn would be a good partner for Schultz and he's still young enough that he'll be with the team for a while. He's also signed for three more seasons at a reasonable $4.5M which fits well with our payroll structure.

If the Oilers made this move and then signed Streit, we'd have a much-transformed defensive core.

Streit-Smid
Coburn-Schultz
Petry-Potter/Klefbom
Philly just missed the playoffs in part due to the significant hits their defensive core has taken over the last 2 years. Can't see them trading one of their remaining defensemen for a downgrade(Shultz) and a maybe(the 1st).

Old
04-28-2013, 05:07 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I don't think you could have picked more opposite players for the comparison. A cross between Nuge and Hall could be anything from a small winger who's bad on his edges with an average powered yet wild shot to a dominating center who hits everything, is one of the fastest skaters in the league, can turn on a dime, and has a shot that makes Stamkos jealous.
Haha I realized after that it wouldn't make sense the way I described :S

I meant to say that he's got the puck handling and skating style of Hall, but was able to stick handle in a phone booth like RNH and had an elite hockey IQ

Last edited by Bergeron47: 04-28-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old
04-28-2013, 06:03 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
My UFA wishlist that I hope the Oilers take a look at for the bottom 6 and defense. Sorry if my evaluation on the players isn't that informative since I had limited viewings on other teams this year.

C Boyd Gordon - Solid 4th line center that knows his role, Good PK player and solid on face offs. Maybe we can get him for a year or 2 until Lander is ready?

LW Matt Hendricks
- A good energy player with great character, Hes a similar player that can replace Jones on the 4th line IMO if we let him walk. Hendricks would be cheaper too. He sticks up for team mates which is something we need.
Side note: Hes a beast on shootouts.

LW Bryan Bickell - A huge 6'4 233 lbs power forward that can chip in with some offense and be a beast on the fore check and great along the boards. Very physical too which is a welcomed addition to the Oilers. I always notice him when we play the Hawks.

LW/C? Patrick Bordeleau - A mammoth of a man 6'6 225 lbs thats very physical. Hes an enforcer type that can play a regular shift. Hes a pretty good skater too for a man his size. Would be an ideal 13-14th forward for us that can help protect the kids when hes in the lineup.

D Andrew Ference - An Edmonton boy that would add experience to our relatively young back end. He seems to me like a more physical N Schultz but might be a cheaper option if the Oilers are interested in moving N Schultz and his 3.5m cap hit.

D Mark Streit - An older puck mover that would be a huge upgrade over Ryan Whitney. We need players that can help move the puck up to our skilled speedy forwards and hes the best on the UFA market IMO. I know some people don't like his advanced stats or +/- but I could see the Oil targeting him from experience with Krueger.

D Rob Scuderi - 2 time Stanley Cup winner that has success playing with a skilled D partner (Scuderi-Letang and Scuderi-Doughty/Voynov) I think he would make wonderful D partner for Justin Schultz. I could see L.A letting him go with the emergence of some of their young D (Muzzin/Martinez) and a being a similar player to Robyn Regehr, Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene.

G Anton Khudobin - A younger Khabby? I could see a lot of teams lining up to get this guy but there is also rumors of him playing in Russia too. Had a solid year as the backup to Rask in Boston and could be a solid goalie that can help push Dubey next year and take a load off him.
I like all of these except the first two, cus i just don't think we need them
But i woukd love to get all the rest
Get rid of whitney, n schultz and potter or fistric and replace them those three
Don't know much about that goalie but yeah i'd take him
And those two big guys are good for obvious reason
I really hope MacT is axtive this july, A bunch of solid guys available, plus who knows who gets bought out

Old
04-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...204992331.html

Possibly a bit of a reach, mainly because he's a right shooting d-man so it may not make sense, but how would you guys feel if the Oilers went after Dustin Byfuglien? Maybe using their pick as bait?

If he doesn't work as a d-man, he works as a power forward. Win/win right?
if you listened to mact on after hours, you woul dknow that buff is the exact opposite of what he is trying to do. buff's lack of intensity is the same thing that mact blames our situation on.

mact would block a shot with his face in pre-season. That is the kind of guy he is looking for. Think ryan smyth from 5 years ago.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Baggers

I wouldn't mind the Oilers taking a run at Ryan Malone. He's overpriced and his production this year has been underwhelming, but it sounds like Tampa wants to get rid of him so he might come cheap.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:47 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
I'll throw a couple of other names out there...

Clarke MacArthur, W - Adds some size(isn't huge, but plays much bigger than he is), scoring and skating. Would be a decent option if the other size/skill guys(Clarkson, Clowe, Bickell, etc.) are out of their price range/choose another team.

Grant Clitsome, D - Good size, good puck-mover, solid defensively. May be a more astute signing than Streit. Sort of a late-bloomer, so he's still in his prime and even improving. Would look good on the second pairing and second PP unit.

Brandon Yip, W - A prototypical energy player. Can add skating, some scoring and physicality to the 3rd or 4th line.

Nick Johnson, W - Big(6'2'' 200lbs) Alberta boy. Brings some size, grit and scoring ability to the 4th line.

Closed Thread