HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Roof Daddy

vCash: 500
Could 7th overall + Petry + Marincin be enough to land Hedman? For the Bolts to go from Hedman to Petry is a sizeable downgrade, but the pick and Marincin would cover that IMO. Their team is actually up against the cap a bit (will be 59.8 needing to re-sign Aulie, 7th D, and 4 depth forwards), and that's if they want to march out the same team that led them to the 3rd worst record in the league. Their D prospect pool is poor and it's not out of the question to suggest Marincin would become their best D prospect. Maybe if Tampa wins the draft lottery and selects Jones this could become a reality?

Would love to have a top 4 of

Smid-Schultz
Klefbom-Hedman

Old
04-28-2013, 09:01 AM
doubledown99

I rather try for Alzner. That guy is amazing. He's not flashy. Will likely never put up lots of points. But is a top pairing guy. He gets puck out of the zone. Is calm and collected. Good transition game. Good passer.

He is RFA....would WSH be interested in our 7th overall if Nich is available?

Last edited by doubledown99: 04-28-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old
04-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Ricky Bobby

I think the Oilers should try to sign Torres for the 3rd line. He is the exact physical edge player who other teams always need to be aware of when he's on the ice.

Look to deal Hemsky for a winger who plays a more physical game or a # second pairing quality dman like Morris or Klesla from the Coyotes.

Sign a UFA goalie that can be counted on to play 30-35 games like Emery, Nabokov, Khudobin.

Instead of buying out Belanger try to deal him to a team that is looking to a dump a higher salary player like Ballard or Malone.

Package up picks, prospects (not named Klefblom), MPS for a quality young dman. Tyutin (still not 30 and would be ideal for the Oil needs), Gardiner, Fowler, Shattenkirk.

I predict the Oilers are ones of the team to benefit the most from the cap decreasing because they've got lots of cap space and all the necessary picks, prospects and some cheap useful NHLers that teams will be looking for.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:32 AM
McDNicks17
Save us, Connor.

vCash: 50
It all depends on if they can dump Hemsky, imo.

The Oilers are actually going to be pretty close to the cap if they bring in a couple of decent forwards and/or defenseman.

Say they sign Streit($4.5M), pick up Morris($2.75M), re-sign Gagner and Paajarvi($5.5M combined) and add a back-up goalie($1M), that only leaves a little over $2.5M to improve(and complete) the forward group.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:57 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

The Oilers are actually going to be pretty close to the cap if they bring in a couple of decent forwards and/or defenseman.

Say they sign Streit($4.5M), pick up Morris($2.75M), re-sign Gagner and Paajarvi($5.5M combined) and add a back-up goalie($1M), that only leaves a little over $2.5M to improve(and complete) the forward group.
4M Gagner
1.5M MPS

?

Old
04-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I'm curious looking back at the deals for Carter and Richards.

8th Overall
Voracek
3rd rounder

Schenn
Simmonds
2nd rounder.

I wonder if there are any good top 6 centers that a package of the following could land us?

7th overall
Paajarvi
2nd rounder

Old
04-28-2013, 10:04 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 5769
Here is an idea of a future line

Maggs-Lander-Yakupov?

I like how Maggs and Yak started to click later in the season

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
Old
04-28-2013, 10:08 AM
McOilers4cup
Finally

vCash: 400
In my estimation here is the players out for next year and what the Oilers will be looking for in the offseason

Out ( almost gauranteed ) Khabibulin , Whitney , Peckham ,Jones , Belanger
Out ( probably in right deal ) Gagner , Hemsky , Hartikainen
Out ( on the fence ) Fistric ,N.Schultz ,Potter
Out ( would like to see not sure what MacT does ) Smyth , Smithson

That's a lot of change

Line-up

Hall RNH Yakupov
PRV big centre Eberle
Xxx Horcoff xxx
Xxx Xxx Brown
Petrell

Petry Smid
J.Schultz Xxx
Klefbom. Xxx

Dubnyk
Xxx

I believe the team will need at least a goalie , 2 Defencemen , 3 or 4 forwards via trade or free agent

Old
04-28-2013, 10:14 AM
MetaOil1993

Quote:
I'll throw a couple of other names out there...

Clarke MacArthur, W - Adds some size(isn't huge, but plays much bigger than he is), scoring and skating. Would be a decent option if the other size/skill guys(Clarkson, Clowe, Bickell, etc.) are out of their price range/choose another team.

Grant Clitsome, D - Good size, good puck-mover, solid defensively. May be a more astute signing than Streit. Sort of a late-bloomer, so he's still in his prime and even improving. Would look good on the second pairing and second PP unit.

Brandon Yip, W - A prototypical energy player. Can add skating, some scoring and physicality to the 3rd or 4th line.

Nick Johnson, W - Big(6'2'' 200lbs) Alberta boy. Brings some size, grit and scoring ability to the 4th line.
Dang I forgot about MacArthur. Would be a nice pickup for the 2nd/3rd line. Clitsome sounds very intriguing also. There's a few good players that would definitely improve our bottom six and defence this summer not even including buyouts from other teams.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:43 AM
McDNicks17
Save us, Connor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
4M Gagner
1.5M MPS

?
Yeah, that was my best guess.

Might be a bit conservative.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Been thinking about something out of left field.

Trade for Ryan Miller with his 1-year left on his contract, and sign Drew Miller to a 2-year deal this summer.

Ryan - .915% SV, a down year. The bottom fell out in Buffalo and the relationship was especially strained after the Lucic incident last year. Since, Miller's had some pull with referee's on the goalie interference calls. What worries me... he isn't afraid to voice his opinion which can be a good and bad thing. This iteration of our team isn't tight enough in the dressing room and strong enough on the ice to employ him.

Drew - ~2hits/game, plays the most PK minutes of Detroit forwards. 4th line winger with the utility to move to a 3rd line.

AFAIK, the Miller's haven't player together on the same team. Trade for Ryan, sign Drew to 2-years, and it hinges on Ryan re-signing next offseason. Its a gamble for sure.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:07 AM
McDNicks17
Save us, Connor.

Ryan Miller comes off as a complete nutcase in interviews.

I'm not sure I could put up with his declining play and persona.

Especially at $6.25M. That means you have to go into next season with basically the same forward or D group unless you trade Hemsky, buy-out Horcoff and possibly move Nick Schultz/Smyth.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:12 AM
SLURVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Trade 2 or 3 d-men to move up 2 spots?!? Including Petry? Our only competent 2-way d-man?

For a rookie C that would make a six year vet expendable? In 3 years?

You think we have enough d-men in the pipeline? Teubert is a DUD. The others need plenty of seasoning at the AHL level.

Our trading chips are Gagner and Hemsky. That's it. Whitney's UFA, the rest are nearly useless or keepers.
Although Gagner and Hemsky are the names being mentioned as tradable this season by everyone that is not on the moon, there has to be other players involved if one was to make a "bold move". Depth in prospects is one of our strengths allowing for creative trade flexibility.

I highly doubt if highly skilled Barkov or Nichushkin will wait 3 yrs before playing in the NHL. They have mass in their large frame to go with euro skill, if they were drafted by the Oilers, they would make the team this year.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Slatsmsg

Byfuglien is available, they should start by looking there

Old
04-28-2013, 11:51 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 225
our bottom 6 needs to be made up of guys who play similar to ryan jones but arent afraid to fight or instigate fights. again last night the game started to get rough and we need guys who dont think just scrap.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:29 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Yeah, that was my best guess.

Might be a bit conservative.
1.5 would be very high for paajarvi, i wouldn't offer anything above 1 for paajarvi... what exactly has he done to warrant 1.5 million? .... 4 seems about right for gagner though

Old
04-28-2013, 01:30 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
our bottom 6 needs to be made up of guys who play similar to ryan jones but arent afraid to fight or instigate fights. again last night the game started to get rough and we need guys who dont think just scrap.
jones can't fight this year because of his eye injury, so you have to cut him some slack in the fighting department this season

Old
04-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Fourier

Quote:

Nashville wants a veteran forward who can generate offense to replace Erat.

Hemsky and the Oilers first for Nashville's first. The Oilers could even eat some salary. I know many will feel it is an overpay but if that pick nets Barkov it is a major piece of the puzzle going forward.

Nashville gets a replacement for Erat and still has a shot at one of Monahan, Nichushkin or Lindholm.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Kulleroinen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post

Hemsky and the Oilers first for Nashville's first. The Oilers could even eat some salary. I know many will feel it is an overpay but if that pick nets Barkov it is a major piece of the puzzle going forward.

Nashville gets a replacement for Erat and still has a shot at one of Monahan, Nichushkin or Lindholm.
That is something which I would love to see. I want Barkov.

Old
04-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Seachd

vCash: 167
Doesn't really sound as if Whitney wants to, or at least is expecting to, stick around.

Ryan Whitney ‏@ryanwhitney6

Want to wish the Oilers best of luck in the future. Met a lot of great people and made some life long friends during my time in Edmonton

Old
04-28-2013, 04:10 PM
RebuildTheRebuild

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
LW/C? Patrick Bordeleau - A mammoth of a man 6'6 225 lbs thats very physical. Hes an enforcer type that can play a regular shift. Hes a pretty good skater too for a man his size. Would be an ideal 13-14th forward for us that can help protect the kids when hes in the lineup.
I would love Bordeleau the guy is an absolute beast when he plays. He would be that perfect 4th liner for Edmonton.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:21 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
Dang I forgot about MacArthur. Would be a nice pickup for the 2nd/3rd line. Clitsome sounds very intriguing also. There's a few good players that would definitely improve our bottom six and defence this summer not even including buyouts from other teams.
Been suggesting McArthur for a long time. TML might not want him back and Dreger has said he would come pretty cheap. He's ideal for a 3rd line role and could step up in the top six with injuries. A third line of Mac - Horc- PRV would be very good. Then add a big LW for top six. I think it would be a formidable top 9.

Now the D. That's going to take some work and some creativity.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:33 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Doesn't really sound as if Whitney wants to, or at least is expecting to, stick around.

Ryan Whitney ‏@ryanwhitney6

Want to wish the Oilers best of luck in the future. Met a lot of great people and made some life long friends during my time in Edmonton
Best of luck to you,Ryan.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:46 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post

Nashville won't see that as an overpay.. they'd get a year of Hemsky + a significantly lower pick for 4th overall? Can't see it.

Nashville has some good pieces though. I'd swap Hemsky for Gaustad+ 2nd.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Nashville won't see that as an overpay.. they'd get a year of Hemsky + a significantly lower pick for 4th overall? Can't see it.

Nashville has some good pieces though. I'd swap Hemsky for Gaustad+ 2nd.
If they want to add offense how do they do it given their situation. Even if there were some prize FA's which there isn't, Nashville is less of a destination then Edmonton. , outside of possibly Forsberg. They also have a fairly bare prospect pools so trading for scoring is not going to be that easy. (BTW they git Forsberg for Eart who was basically their Hemsky).

The fact that there is only one year on Hemsky's deal is a risk, but if he won't sign they can recoup some of the investment at the trade deadline.

You say that you would swap for Gaustad and a second. Nashville paid a first for Gaustad. So you seem to be arguing that they would trade assets which amount to the equivalent of a 1st and a 2nd for Hemsky but he would not be enough to move down from a #4 to a #7 in a draft when many people have guys like Lindholm ranked not that far back of Barkov and others have Nichushkin ranker above him.

Last edited by Fourier: 04-28-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Closed Thread