HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 09:31 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
But will MacT actually bring in toughness? He never really played them when he was coach. Didn't he deem Laraque useless and let him walk even though on a pretty bad hockey team he may have been the only guy on our roster that was very good at what he did?

He's right. Talk is cheap. It is going to take a concerted effort to make our team both tougher and better. I don't doubt he'll try to make us better. I wonder how much effort he's really going to put into making us tougher. I think making us tougher will help in making us better. I'm not so sure that is how he sees it.
I think he's been pretty clear.. he has no use for "tough" players if they can't play hockey on top of it. The Don Cherry mentality doesn't work.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
But will MacT actually bring in toughness? He never really played them when he was coach. Didn't he deem Laraque useless and let him walk even though on a pretty bad hockey team he may have been the only guy on our roster that was very good at what he did?

He's right. Talk is cheap. It is going to take a concerted effort to make our team both tougher and better. I don't doubt he'll try to make us better. I wonder how much effort he's really going to put into making us tougher. I think making us tougher will help in making us better. I'm not so sure that is how he sees it.
He wouldn't play the enforcers, aka - the useless players who couldn't play hockey, and just participated in staged fights that contributed nothing.

There was a lot to dislike about Mact, but his recognition that team toughness was more important than archaic ideas about fighters protecting the rest of the roster wasn't one of them.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Magnum23

Can probably move gagner/hemsky + Whitney/harti + 7th overall for a really good proven center. If not i would keep pick and move hall to center. Maybe draft monahan as that power forward and move him on the wing. If hall continues to develop his defensive game he can be a toews type of center

Old
04-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum23 View Post
Can probably move gagner/hemsky + Whitney/harti + 7th overall for a really good proven center. If not i would keep pick and move hall to center. Maybe draft monahan as that power forward and move him on the wing. If hall continues to develop his defensive game he can be a toews type of center
Yeah, Whitney will be a UFA, so he has little value. Plus, you better get a hell of a center with that package.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Well looking at the Carolina - Pittsburgh trade last year, if we actually packaged the 7th overall, Gagner and someone like Harti we would be looking at a number one center.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Well looking at the Carolina - Pittsburgh trade last year, if we actually packaged the 7th overall, Gagner and someone like Harti we would be looking at a number one center.
Jordan Staal isn't a first line center.

That, and everyone in the NHL knew he was going to UFA status with plans to head to Carolina at the end of his contract anyways. Pittsburg only had one trading partner to choose from.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Jordan Staal isn't a first line center.

That, and everyone in the NHL knew he was going to UFA status with plans to head to Carolina at the end of his contract anyways. Pittsburg only had one trading partner to choose from.
So Gagner and the seventh overall is the same as Brandon Sutter and the eighth overall? So this package would get less than a top line center? Not really sure what your point is but ok.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
So Gagner and the seventh overall is the same as Brandon Sutter and the eighth overall? So this package would get less than a top line center? Not really sure what your point is but ok.
Sorry, I should have stated my point better.

I meant Jordon Staal isn't a first line center, and a package like that wouldn't get you a player of that caliber.

There were also special circumstances that made Staal available for a trade involving that type of package.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:10 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I'm sort of waiting to see who is amnestied. Washington has some guys who are interesting, so do Boston, Tampa and Buffalo.
Ya, I think there's going to be a few surprises this summer

04-28-2013, 10:34 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Ya, I think there's going to be a few surprises this summer
the buyouts could definitely make things very interesting this offseason... there will be some guys bought out who would be great pickups i'm sure

Old
04-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:

I meant Jordon Staal isn't a first line center, and a package like that wouldn't get you a player of that caliber.

There were also special circumstances that made Staal available for a trade involving that type of package.
Fair enough. I think the Oilers should be able to get an elite player for that kind of package, but honestly they're at a point now where they need some quantity, so packaging out assets might not be the best idea.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:

What did Columbus pay for Jeff Carter?

Old
04-28-2013, 11:53 PM
McOilers4cup
Finally

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
2011-Jun-23 Traded from Philadelphia Flyers to Columbus Blue Jackets for Jakub Voracek, round 1 pick in the 2011 draft (Sean Couturier) and round 3 pick in the 2011 draft (Nick Cousins)
2012-Feb-23 Traded from Columbus Blue Jackets to Los Angeles Kings for Jack Johnson and round 1 pick in the 2013 draft

Old
04-29-2013, 12:04 AM
jmoss45

From Matheson:

Quote:
So if you’re the Oilers, do you make a play for Bryan Bickell or Viktor Stalberg, who are both unrestricted free agents (UFA) and playing for the Chicago Blackhawks? Bickell would likely be cheaper, but scouts say he doesn’t always bring it. When he does, he’s a force. Stalberg, one of the game’s fastest players and versatile enough to move up and down a lineup, is looking for around $2.5 million a year. He’s much quicker than Bickell, who hits harder. I believe the Oilers will go hard after the Bruins’ Nathan Horton, who is also an UFA.
Making a play for Bickell or Stahlberg is great news, and i'd be happy to see the Oil land either one.

Horton sounds like an overpay nightmare waiting to happen. And if there was ever a team to overreact then overpay for a UFA it's the Oil.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:25 AM
Paralyzer008

Horton seems too high of scale/no bang for your buck, and if we sign him then it means you're putting Yak or him on LW

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Horton-Gagner-Eberle
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Hemsky

Interesting at least.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:28 AM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Wasn't going to mention that one.

Cautionary tales of why the Oilers should keep the pick don't really count

Old
04-29-2013, 02:04 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
From Matheson:

Making a play for Bickell or Stahlberg is great news, and i'd be happy to see the Oil land either one.

Horton sounds like an overpay nightmare waiting to happen. And if there was ever a team to overreact then overpay for a UFA it's the Oil.
If you could get both for $2.5 million each, IMO you try to sign both of them.

04-29-2013, 02:09 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
From Matheson:

Stalberg doesn't seem like a great fit given that he's pretty similar to Paajarvi. Bickell would be a decent option but I would rather make a move for Nystrom to be honest.

Horton is different as he could potentially fill a top 6 role and score some goals. If we could find a way to move Hemsky, I'd be okay with bringing in Horton on a somewhat short-term deal.

04-29-2013, 02:51 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Stalberg doesn't seem like a great fit given that he's pretty similar to Paajarvi. Bickell would be a decent option but I would rather make a move for Nystrom to be honest.

Horton is different as he could potentially fill a top 6 role and score some goals. If we could find a way to move Hemsky, I'd be okay with bringing in Horton on a somewhat short-term deal.
I recalled Stalberg being pretty physical against us one game this year so I was a little surprised to see that he was slightly under a hit/game this season. While he'd be a clear upgrade on what we have IMO, I agree that I'd prefer Bickell and another bruiser that can play over Stalberg.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:23 AM
Fourier

Quote:
If you draft Monahan who is a prototypical two-way center why would you move him to the wing so that you can move a winger to center?

Old
04-29-2013, 06:03 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
Quote:
Hall wants nothing to do with playing center, he has stated so repeatedly.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I'd add Tanner Glass and Nick Kulemin to that list. Glass can help Brown with some heavy lifting. He's big, in the top 10 in the league in hits. He may still be under contract though.... Kulemin is also big. Slightly better production this year than last, but is he the guy who got 30 goals, 7 goals in 48 or in 70 games? He kills penalties and is in the league leaders in hits also.
Have you read some of the comments about him the past 2 years? He's basically Pittsburgh's very own Ryan Smyth (granted that's till better than crap like Smyth and Belanger).

Old
04-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

So with the Caps dependant on their PP and likely to lose Riberio in the summer, maybe there's a deal there involving Gagner?

I was pondering this deal this morning.

To WSH: Gagner, Potter and Peckham

To EDM: Alzner, Laich and Schultz

The Caps get that skilled 2nd line center and get to cut some salary, the Oilers improve the blueline and add some nice depth.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So with the Caps dependant on their PP and likely to lose Riberio in the summer, maybe there's a deal there involving Gagner?

I was pondering this deal this morning.

To WSH: Gagner, Potter and Peckham

To EDM: Alzner, Laich and Schultz

The Caps get that skilled 2nd line center and get to cut some salary, the Oilers improve the blueline and add some nice depth.
All three of those are roster players for Washington. Injuries this year, but still... big parts of their team. We're not getting those players if we give them Gagner, a 6/7 defenseman and an overweight lug who was in the pressbox most of this season.

Washington says no and spreads rumours of MacT's excessive drinking.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:08 AM
McDoused

Quote:
So we move the 7th overall pick packaged with two other assets instead of just drafting Sean Monahan (who has drawn Toews comparisons)? I'll wait the 1 year for him to make the NHL.

Closed Thread