HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 07:59 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Is there any interest from Edmonton in Dan Boyle and/or Joe Thornton if the Sharks can't get it done this year? Both are good veterans and still top star players. If Eberle and Yakupov are available, I'd be interested to see if this can happen.

And there's no interest in Hemsky from us, in case you're going to ask.
Eberle or Yakupov for a 36 yo Boyle or a 33yo Thornton? You even need to ask?

Old
04-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Eberle or Yakupov for a 36 yo Boyle or a 33yo Thornton? You even need to ask?
Yeah, I put this proposal right up there with the Flames fan I heard call into a radio show last year and asked if the Oilers would trade Hall for Iggy.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Is there any interest from Edmonton in Dan Boyle and/or Joe Thornton if the Sharks can't get it done this year? Both are good veterans and still top star players. If Eberle and Yakupov are available, I'd be interested to see if this can happen.

And there's no interest in Hemsky from us, in case you're going to ask.
I don't know about other Oil fans, but I would strongly consider a trade for Thornton concerning Eberle.

The only issue would be Thornton's willingness to commit to EDM and not taking off once his contract is over.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I don't know about other Oil fans, but I would strongly consider a trade for Thornton concerning Eberle.

The only issue would be Thornton's willingness to commit to EDM and not taking off once his contract is over.
That's not the only issue with this trade....

Old
moneygoalie31

How about this
To Boston: Gagner, Eberle and anh 2nd
To Edmonton: Bergeron and Lucic

Then trade Hemsky for what u can get and sign Horton

top six of Hall Bergeron Yakupov
Lucic Nuge Horton

that looks pretty sweet to me

Old
armandh01

For me my ideal offseason moves would be something like:

Buyout Smyth and Belanger

Trade Gagner (+ if necessary) for Berglund, if not offersheet him. I'd also do our first rounder if it is around 8-10+ for him (not with Gagner and just trade Gagner for something else)
Sign Bickell
Sign Stalberg

Trade Hemsky

Let go of Jones and Peckham.

Something along these lines. Chances are slim though lol.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneygoalie31 View Post
How about this
To Boston: Gagner, Eberle and anh 2nd
To Edmonton: Bergeron and Lucic

Then trade Hemsky for what u can get and sign Horton

top six of Hall Bergeron Yakupov
Lucic Nuge Horton

that looks pretty sweet to me
Don't see the Bruins liking any deal involving Bergeron.

If those moves went through we would become an unstoppable Bruins/Oilers hybrid (our top 6 anyways).

Old
04-19-2013, 09:49 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
Gags is not a fit on the oilers only because we have so many small players. He is a very good point producing second line player on a Team without size issues. There are plenty of teams that would jump at the chance to add a Gagner to their team. Put him with a couple big wingers and the issue of size becomes a moot point.
Before this season he was a 40 point producer. Not a knock on Gagner, just saying he is not some kind of point producing machine with defensive limitations. Solid 3rd liner, in my estimate, is something akin to D.Clarkson/prime time Ethan Moreau, not the sorry bunch littering our bottom lines at the moment.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:31 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
We have such a reactionary fanbase...

Now we won't see a single fan say "ZOMG LET TRADE EBERLAAH"

Old
04-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Bergeron47

You know we need a defenseman when #7/8 d-man Corey Potter logs over 20 min tonight

Old
04-19-2013, 11:46 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I never was on the "trade Eberle" bandwagon to begin with.

The core is Hall/Eberle/RNH/Yak/Schultz... those should all be basically untouchable and should be built around.

Gagner is a key piece as well and imo shouldn't be traded until a suitable #2 can be found.

Everyone else is expendable depending on what's coming back.

Players like Petry, Smid, MPS are also key pieces but I don't rank them as untouchables... although of course the deal would have to be compelling to move them.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:52 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
You know we need a defenseman when #7/8 d-man Corey Potter logs over 20 min tonight
I didn't actually mind Potter too much tonight. That penalty he got was a poor call because when the guy fell his stick wasn't even touching him. And I think he's actually not bad when he's not playing with Whitney, just the problem is he is often with Whitney.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:00 AM
WaitingForUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Before this season he was a 40 point producer. Not a knock on Gagner, just saying he is not some kind of point producing machine with defensive limitations. Solid 3rd liner, in my estimate, is something akin to D.Clarkson/prime time Ethan Moreau, not the sorry bunch littering our bottom lines at the moment.
can you think of one or to C in the league that broke out later in their career? Hmmm lets see Joe Thorton comes to mind he was a 30-40 point player for the first 5 years of his career. Sedin is another good example. Some players just take longer to put it all together. i would love to be able to see him put it all together here but having so many small forwards seems to have hampered that plan. Gagner is very talented young player and I still think the best is yet to come for him. Unfortunately we are now at a point in our "rebuild" that we can't wait any longer. Our fans are starting to lose all hope for this team and somebody has to go. gags is the odd man out and IMO will go on to post great numbers for quite a few years.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:12 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
can you think of one or to C in the league that broke out later in their career? Hmmm lets see Joe Thorton comes to mind he was a 30-40 point player for the first 5 years of his career. Sedin is another good example. Some players just take longer to put it all together. i would love to be able to see him put it all together here but having so many small forwards seems to have hampered that plan. Gagner is very talented young player and I still think the best is yet to come for him. Unfortunately we are now at a point in our "rebuild" that we can't wait any longer. Our fans are starting to lose all hope for this team and somebody has to go. gags is the odd man out and IMO will go on to post great numbers for quite a few years.
I really hope we sign Gagner for 2-3 years. If he blows up after that it's not like we didn't give him ample opportunity. I'm still hoping we draft a center this year anyway, so Gagner could stay on the 2nd line for a year or two until we're ready to replace him.

Gagner's just a good guy too, love his effort.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Asher

Quote:

The Force is not with you.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:18 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
still love the fact that posters are blaming the third line for everything: epic fail of logic

Old
04-20-2013, 01:35 AM
oilwings

Quote:

Why would the Oilers trade a 23 yr old Eberle for a 35yr old Thornton?

Old
04-20-2013, 01:38 AM
Spawn

Quote:

That's an awful lot for potentially one season of Joe Thornton. He will also be 34 to start next season. Sooner or later his production will begin to decline so even if you did manage to sign him to an extension he would likely only be worth it for 1 to 2 years tops.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:52 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Nik Antropov for the 3rd line.

Get it done MacT.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:48 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Eberle, Gagner, and Hemsky need to go IMO. And honestly, given the division we're about to be placed in, Nuge is going to be one hell of an ineffective player unless he gains at least 10-15lb. He's going to face head-to-head matchups against H.Sedin/Kesler, Thornton, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Hanzal for most of the season - these are battles he's struggled to win over the course of this season, mostly due to size.

I'm curious to see what he tops out at size-wise. The Sedin's, for as skinny as they were when they came to North America, still had large shoulders. I don't see the same with Nuge. Hopefully he can top out at 190-195lb similar to them.

I think the #1 need is a #1-#2 defenseman for this team. And the only asset with enough value to garner us something like that is Eberle (although Gagner isn't far behind). I can see quite a few teams that we could build a deal around Eberle for:

New York Rangers - Girardi/Staal/McDonagh are all top-pairing defensemen, and are all under 28 in their prime. I'd have my sights focused on McDonagh but I wouldn't mind picking up Staal to pair with Petry on a true top pairing. Obviously I'd expect us to pay a smaller price for Staal.

Phoenix Coyotes - I think this is the year they realize they're not going to cut it without a top-notch offensive player. I feel OEL is untouchable, but they have a great top-4 defenseman in Zbynek Michalek. I don't know what it would take to get him, but I'd start by offering Hemsky+. Discussion might shift to a deal centered around Eberle, where I'd then ask for Hanzal+Michalek in a package for Eberle+. Not a fan of Yandle, as I see Justin Schultz developing into a similar kind of player (requiring sheltered ES minutes, good on PP).

St Louis Blues - this team is in trouble in that it has to re-sign some of the quintessential players on their team - Pietrangelo/Shattenkirk/Stewart/Berglund. There are a couple of pieces I'd like to acquire here. That team lacks a true #1 C, and with Andy McDonald (closest thing) heading to UFA, if this team struggles in the playoffs and bows out early for lack of scoring, they may be in the market for an offensive center. I feel their first target would be Mike Ribeiro, but if he's not available, I expect the focus to shift to Sam Gagner. They already have 2 "elite" 2nd line C's in Backes/Berglund, and I feel that a deal could be built around Patrik Berglund for Gagner+. 6'4, 200+ - the only drawback is his 46% FO, but his defensive game is strong enough to make up for it IMO (kind of like Jordan Staal in past years).
With Bouwmeester in the fold, I imagine their #1 priority is re-signing Pietrangelo, and they'll pay big money to keep him. At that point Kevin Shattenkirk becomes an interesting option. At 5'11 he's not your "go-to" thought as a #1 defenseman. But the kid is built solidly, has a great head for the game, and his skating is elite - plays the game similar to Ryan Suter. Has been part of their "#1b" line alongside Jackman, and has played excellently in the role. I'd either try to offer-sheet the guy or dangle Eberle as a trading chip to make it happen.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:51 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Nik Antropov for the 3rd line.

Get it done MacT.
It won't happen but we can wish. Horcoff still has 2yrs left and management refuses to buy him out or trade him.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:52 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Eberle, Gagner, and Hemsky need to go IMO. And honestly, given the division we're about to be placed in, Nuge is going to be one hell of an ineffective player unless he gains at least 10-15lb. He's going to face head-to-head matchups against H.Sedin/Kesler, Thornton, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Hanzal for most of the season - these are battles he's struggled to win over the course of this season, mostly due to size.

I'm curious to see what he tops out at size-wise. The Sedin's, for as skinny as they were when they came to North America, still had large shoulders. I don't see the same with Nuge. Hopefully he can top out at 190-195lb similar to them.

I think the #1 need is a #1-#2 defenseman for this team. And the only asset with enough value to garner us something like that is Eberle (although Gagner isn't far behind). I can see quite a few teams that we could build a deal around Eberle for:

New York Rangers - Girardi/Staal/McDonagh are all top-pairing defensemen, and are all under 28 in their prime. I'd have my sights focused on McDonagh but I wouldn't mind picking up Staal to pair with Petry on a true top pairing. Obviously I'd expect us to pay a smaller price for Staal.

Phoenix Coyotes - I think this is the year they realize they're not going to cut it without a top-notch offensive player. I feel OEL is untouchable, but they have a great top-4 defenseman in Zbynek Michalek. I don't know what it would take to get him, but I'd start by offering Hemsky+. Discussion might shift to a deal centered around Eberle, where I'd then ask for Hanzal+Michalek in a package for Eberle+. Not a fan of Yandle, as I see Justin Schultz developing into a similar kind of player (requiring sheltered ES minutes, good on PP).

St Louis Blues - this team is in trouble in that it has to re-sign some of the quintessential players on their team - Pietrangelo/Shattenkirk/Stewart/Berglund. There are a couple of pieces I'd like to acquire here. That team lacks a true #1 C, and with Andy McDonald (closest thing) heading to UFA, if this team struggles in the playoffs and bows out early for lack of scoring, they may be in the market for an offensive center. I feel their first target would be Mike Ribeiro, but if he's not available, I expect the focus to shift to Sam Gagner. They already have 2 "elite" 2nd line C's in Backes/Berglund, and I feel that a deal could be built around Patrik Berglund for Gagner+. 6'4, 200+ - the only drawback is his 46% FO, but his defensive game is strong enough to make up for it IMO (kind of like Jordan Staal in past years).
With Bouwmeester in the fold, I imagine their #1 priority is re-signing Pietrangelo, and they'll pay big money to keep him. At that point Kevin Shattenkirk becomes an interesting option. At 5'11 he's not your "go-to" thought as a #1 defenseman. But the kid is built solidly, has a great head for the game, and his skating is elite - plays the game similar to Ryan Suter. Has been part of their "#1b" line alongside Jackman, and has played excellently in the role. I'd either try to offer-sheet the guy or dangle Eberle as a trading chip to make it happen.
Zbynek Michalek would definitely not take Hemsky+, but I'd definitely want him on my team. Penguins got Harrison Ruopp, Marc Cheverie and a 3rd for him. Two prospects and a pick. Probably means he's worth a prospect and our ANA 2nd perhaps.

The rest of your post though...Rangers aren't dealing any of the defensive d-men, and Staal is heading to Carolina in 2015. Hanzal and Michalek+ for Eberle sounds absolutely terrible, Eberle's value is higher than Hanzal's, we'd lose that trade bad. Blues won't move Shattenkirk, they'll re-sign him in my mind, they also wouldn't do Berglund for Gagner.

I fully expect the Blues to make the cup final this year, and that means they will get a ton of revenue. I won't be surprised if they spend a lot in the summer, or at least a lot more than usual to keep everyone around other than McDonald perhaps.

Last edited by Paralyzer008: 04-20-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old
04-20-2013, 02:59 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

The Rangers are not trading McDonagh and I do not want 1 yr of Staal. We all know that Staal is headed home to Carolina to join his 3 brothers. I would look at Chris Kreider @LW if it's the Rangers. A 6'3" 230LB is a beast. Weber might be available. Maybe throw OS @Petro.

If we're lucky then draft MacKinnon, trade Eberle for Kreider. See if we can pry Stewart of out StL.

Hall RNH Stewart
Kreider MacKinnon Yakupov

Now that's a top 6 that can win with for a very long time. Round out the bottom 6 with trading Gagner to maybe Chicago, I want Bolland and the Hayes brother. Sign Orr as FA. Get Bernier LA
Hartikainen Bolland J. Hayes
Orr Lander Brown

Bernier in net.

As for the Dcore, I think about it later.

Last edited by oilwings: 04-20-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old
04-20-2013, 03:29 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
The Rangers are not trading McDonagh and I do not want 1 yr of Staal. We all know that Staal is headed home to Carolina to join his 3 brothers. I would look at Chris Kreider @LW if it's the Rangers. A 6'3" 230LB is a beast. Weber might be available. Maybe throw OS @Petro.

If we're lucky then draft MacKinnon, trade Eberle for Kreider. See if we can pry Stewart of out StL.

Hall RNH Stewart
Kreider MacKinnon Yakupov

Now that's a top 6 that can win with for a very long time. Round out the bottom 6 with trading Gagner to maybe Chicago, I want Bolland and the Hayes brother. Sign Orr as FA. Get Bernier LA
Hartikainen Bolland J. Hayes
Orr Lander Brown

Bernier in net.

As for the Dcore, I think about it later.
. I get slammed for Hanzal+Michalek for Eberle and the next proposal is Eberle for Kreider.

Your plan is all predicated on the Oilers somehow by miracle of god acquiring Mackinnon. Unlikely scenario IMO.

I wouldn't mind working on a deal where Bolland turns into Gagner, but not until another 2C is in place.

As for Berglund-for-Gagner - I don't see why value is so bad on it. Gagner is a more offensively capable forward (top-20 amongst C's in scoring) that has never really had an opportunity to be "the focus" offensively with top-notch wingers. I feel he could play a Krejci-like role for STL as a 1C. Take 2 solid wingers (Stewart + Oshie/Perron/Tarasenko/Steen) and serve in a point-producing role while Backes/Sobotka behind him play the checking/2-way role.
Berglund is obviously the more "classic #2C" between them - better 2-way player, capable of the cycle game, and nice big size suited for the new division. His faceoffs are weak, and he's relatively "unproven" - helping to lower his trade value.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:32 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

D-core is the #1 requirement of this team IMO. The reason the forwards aren't scoring or are looking meek is that they never get the puck. Our D is terrible at retrieving the puck in the defensive zone, and even worse at starting the transition. Part of that is just people playing in roles above their heads (Smid-Petry as top pairing, Schultz-Schultz as 2nd pairing, Potter in the NHL).

I like the idea of pursuing Weber - perhaps a change in direction occurs in Nashville over the off-season. If he's on the table, I'm going guns-blazing for the guy:

Eberle, Schultz, Oilers 1st (top-7 pick) for Shea Weber.

Similar package to what ANA sent for a prime Pronger (Lupul, Smid, 1st, conditional 1st)

Closed Thread