HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2013, 03:36 AM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
D-core is the #1 requirement of this team IMO. The reason the forwards aren't scoring or are looking meek is that they never get the puck. Our D is terrible at retrieving the puck in the defensive zone, and even worse at starting the transition. Part of that is just people playing in roles above their heads (Smid-Petry as top pairing, Schultz-Schultz as 2nd pairing, Potter in the NHL).

I like the idea of pursuing Weber - perhaps a change in direction occurs in Nashville over the off-season. If he's on the table, I'm going guns-blazing for the guy:

Eberle, Schultz, Oilers 1st (top-7 pick) for Shea Weber.

Similar package to what ANA sent for a prime Pronger (Lupul, Smid, 1st, conditional 1st)
Nashville can't trade Weber until July 24th so our top 10 pick is a no go in a Weber trade.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:37 AM
oilwings

Quote:
D-core is the #1 requirement of this team IMO. The reason the forwards aren't scoring or are looking meek is that they never get the puck. Our D is terrible at retrieving the puck in the defensive zone, and even worse at starting the transition. Part of that is just people playing in roles above their heads (Smid-Petry as top pairing, Schultz-Schultz as 2nd pairing, Potter in the NHL).

I like the idea of pursuing Weber - perhaps a change in direction occurs in Nashville over the off-season. If he's on the table, I'm going guns-blazing for the guy:

Similar package to what ANA sent for a prime Pronger (Lupul, Smid, 1st, conditional 1st)
Assuming the Oilers 1st is 2013, your proposal is so flawed to begin with. You do know that Weber can not be traded until late July right? The draft is over by then.

I would trade Eberle for Kreider any day. Following is an overpayment but it'll get Poille talking.

Eberle, Smid, Hemsky, 2014 1st and 2015 1st for Weber.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:39 AM
oilwings

Quote:

Not happening considering what Nashville asked for Couts, Schenn, Read, and a 1st for Weber.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:48 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
Assuming the Oilers 1st is 2013, your proposal is so flawed to begin with. You do know that Weber can not be traded until late July right? The draft is over by then.

I would trade Eberle for Kreider any day. Following is an overpayment but it'll get Poille talking.

Eberle, Smid, Hemsky, 2014 1st and 2015 1st for Weber.
Let me get this straight, you'd trade a "struggling" 31p/43gp Eberle for Kreider, who has 3p in 19gp and is only a year younger?

Old
04-20-2013, 03:51 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Not happening considering what Nashville asked for Couts, Schenn, Read, and a 1st for Weber.
That's a hefty price, geez. No wonder PHI offer-sheeted them. I imagine if he becomes available there will be teams more desperate to win Cups than the Oilers that will be willing to sell more of their futures/prospects to get it done.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:52 AM
oilwings

Quote:

That was not the trade. It was Lupul, Smid, 2007 1st Round Pick, Conditional 1st, and 2008 2nd Round Pick.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:52 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Let me get this straight, you'd trade a "struggling" 31p/43gp Eberle for Kreider, who has 3p in 19gp and is only a year younger?

Yes I would.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:59 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Yes I would.
Ebs has a higher point/game in the NHL than that guy has in the AHL.

I understand he looked good in the playoffs last year for NYR, but we've seen similar flash-in-the-pans before.

He's struggled a lot in the year since then. I'm not saying he's a bad player. He's someone I'd love to have on the Oilers. But the price is much, much less lower than Eberle.

You'd just have to be one helluva dumb GM to "okay" an Eberle-for-Kreider trade.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:04 AM
T-Funk

What is this obsession with Weber that could not be satisfied by a slightly cheaper and less Brand Name d man.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:09 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
What is this obsession with Weber that could not be satisfied by a slightly cheaper and less Brand Name d man.
With Weber on the backend, punks like Kassian, Clutterbuck, Bieksa, etc.. would never touch our kids. If we had Weber for the yrs before Hemsky would be healthy all the time. Regehr and Sarich kept beating up on poor Hemsky every game.

Last edited by oilwings: 04-20-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old
04-20-2013, 04:12 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
There is a steep drop-off in available quality after the "elite" defensemen of the league.

Weber, Pietrangelo, OEL, Karlsson, Chara, Doughty, Subban
These are the best-of-the-best in terms of what the NHL has to offer. Other than possibly Weber - none of these guys is going to be available - hence the price

Suter, Letang, Keith, Seabrook
These are the Tier-2, established great talents. Not as good as the aforementioned ones, but also NOT FOR SALE

McDonagh, Edler, Phaneuf, Mitchell, Enstrom, Carlson, Green, Boyle, Beauchemin, Shattenkirk, Hamhuis, etc
Among these names are some of the first "available" elite defensemen after Weber. The drop-off in quality is large, and the drop-off in price is as well (likely 5.5-6.5M in open market).

Old
04-20-2013, 04:25 AM
oilwings

Quote:
There is a steep drop-off in available quality after the "elite" defensemen of the league.

Weber, Pietrangelo, OEL, Karlsson, Chara, Doughty, Subban
These are the best-of-the-best in terms of what the NHL has to offer. Other than possibly Weber - none of these guys is going to be available - hence the price

Suter, Letang, Keith, Seabrook
These are the Tier-2, established great talents. Not as good as the aforementioned ones, but also NOT FOR SALE

McDonagh, Edler, Phaneuf, Mitchell, Enstrom, Carlson, Green, Boyle, Beauchemin, Shattenkirk, Hamhuis, etc
Among these names are some of the first "available" elite defensemen after Weber. The drop-off in quality is large, and the drop-off in price is as well (likely 5.5-6.5M in open market).
Suter belongs with Weber, Petro, OEL, etc... Other than that nice list.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:17 AM
T-Funk

I still don't believe Weber would be any more available than your listed tier 1 or tier 2 guys. Go after the tier 3 guys, hope klefbom turns out, and use your saved assets for rounding out your forward lines. No number 1 d is going to turn this **** show around for next year with all the passengers up front, even Weber.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:24 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
I still don't believe Weber would be any more available than your listed tier 1 or tier 2 guys. Go after the tier 3 guys, hope klefbom turns out, and use your saved assets for rounding out your forward lines. No number 1 d is going to turn this **** show around for next year with all the passengers up front, even Weber.
Weber would turn things around. He is an elite defencemen. I wish we could get him but I'm afraid the asking price would be way to high and rightfully so. Unless he requests a trade, then it's a possibility.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Bergeron47

Is it not established that Weber won't be moved until summer 2014 at the earliest due to Nashville paying 13 of the 14 mil before they're allowed to deal him in July?

Old
04-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Baggers

Quote:
Suter belongs with Weber, Petro, OEL, etc... Other than that nice list.
Was going to say the same - Suter could win the Norris this year.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Mr Sakich

The obvious target is Jaybo. St Louis has some big contracts to sign this summer and they are not a cap team. They will need some relief. There is not much of a market for his cap hit so the price is probably something like MPS.

Jaybo would be an ideal low event partner for justin shultz. The steady and solid defensive zone play would allow justin the opportunity to develop his offensive game to an elite level. They would make a great pair.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Peter Zezel

Jaybo is playing good on a really good defensive core, however I think he'd struggle on the Oil. Depending on what Bouwmeester wants Oil should maybe target Leopold.

I've been watching a few St. Louis games and would love Polak on the Oil. Tough as nails, good first pass, and can put up points with his shot.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Zezel View Post
Jaybo is playing good on a really good defensive core, however I think he'd struggle on the Oil. Depending on what Bouwmeester wants Oil should maybe target Leopold.

I've been watching a few St. Louis games and would love Polak on the Oil. Tough as nails, good first pass, and can put up points with his shot.
Gregor did say this yesterday, the problem becomes when the Oilers bring that guy in, within a week everyone will complain about bigness and toughness because Leopold doesn't really bring that.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:32 AM
poetryingasoline

Eberle, Hall RNH and Schultz are not going anywhere.

If anyone is going it will be Yakipov (and that is highly unlikely).

Old
04-20-2013, 11:37 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryingasoline View Post
Eberle, Hall RNH and Schultz are not going anywhere.

If anyone is going it will be Yakipov (and that is highly unlikely).

Which is why I hate this stupid organization.Yakupov will end up being traded first just because he's Russian,even though he could very well be so much better than Eberle in the years to come.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:43 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

I bet Weber could have the same affect on his team as what Pronger had..still I dont trade anyone of J.Schultz, Yakupov, Hall, Eberle, or Hopkins to get him.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Conkanen*

Quote:
LOL as if the Ebs, Schultz, and a 1st rder is an inferior offer. Please. Not one of those scrubs has even sniffed 76 pts in a season. And I wouldn't do that deal anyway if I were the Oilers.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:05 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

There's been rumors that Letang may be available, also speculation that Shattenkirk could as well. If I'm Mac-T those are 2 of the d men I'm trying to bring in along with Rob Scuderi. Also as already mentioned Weber won't be available due to Nashville having to pay the signing bonus.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Peter Zezel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Gregor did say this yesterday, the problem becomes when the Oilers bring that guy in, within a week everyone will complain about bigness and toughness because Leopold doesn't really bring that.
I agree but I don't see many d who play mean and can breakout of the zone clean. Leopold will at least give us a smart dman who can make those good first passes.

I guess we will see what happens at the draft, but I don't see us landing a stud on the blueline. Sign a vet who can move the puck and try to sign/trade another who plays gritty consistently. Defense by committee.

Closed Thread