HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Puck daddy article: Will Islanders change colors and logo?

Old
05-09-2013, 03:37 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

vCash: 500
Of course it's fine to have different opinions and emotions, but please do not argue on a personal basis. I know you guys know this, but take a deep breath and watch yourself before you post.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:40 PM
rollin109

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
Let's be clear. The ONLY reason they're moving to Brooklyn is because Wang couldn't get an arena deal done in Nassau. Remember Wang was trying to build a new arena in Nassau and Millstein and Gluckstern bought the Isles to develop the land around the Coliseum as well.

Why would they have been trying to build an arena here if there was no one to fill it. Why wouldn't Wang have run to Ratner immediately upon groundbreaking of Barclays 4 years ago if he thought no one would see the Isles in Nassau
Because it was never about the Isles "Lets be clear" The ONLY reason Wang bought the Isles was to develop the land around the coliseum.

Of course if Wang spent more attention on icing a great team rather than trying to convince everyone that the Coliseum is the reason for all of the Islanders problems then maybe more people would have fought to keep the team here.

Last edited by rollin109: 05-09-2013 at 03:48 PM.
rollin109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:55 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin109 View Post
Because it was never about the Isles "Lets be clear" The ONLY reason Wang bought the Isles was to develop the land around the coliseum.

Of course if Wang spent more attention on icing a great team rather than trying to convince everyone that the Coliseum is the reason for all of the Islanders problems then maybe more people would have fought to keep the team here.
Valid point. I've often said if there was a little more buzz around the team these several years, maybe, just maybe, when It was time to vote on the referendum the people would have been more willing to vote YES.

The Seattle Mariners were able to get Safeco Field and the San Diego Padres were able to get Petco Park publicly funded, in part, because they had just a little success in the year or two before it came time to ask the taxpayers to buck up. Maybe that could have happened in Nassau if any of the last 3 owners of the Islanders didn't neglect the on ice product.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:59 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Yeah, no worries man! I know you're not that type.

And don't get me wrong, I'm glad that the building is filled! I was at Game 3 and it was beyond intense. Game 4 sounded at least as crazy on the television. Saturday should be loud enough to do structural damage! But, I just wish that even 1,500 of these people would show up more frequently. Like even 5 times a year more frequently.
You may get your wish. I heard that the Islanders sold 750 full season packages last week. That may give you the 1500 people you're looking for.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
You may get your wish. I heard that the Islanders sold 750 full season packages last week. That may give you the 1500 people you're looking for.
Like I said, I'll take it!

I understand that some may not want to spend money on **** product, and also that others don't spend the money on principle; to not support the owner. And, I'm all for that line of thinking. But honestly, this is a sports team, not freakin' Monsanto. In the grand scheme of the world, it's so inconsequential. If those who are adamant about not supporting a team felt that way about some of the real criminals in this world, the planet would be much better off for it.

Last edited by Strummergas: 05-09-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:35 PM
MJF

Quote:

I understand that some may not want to spend money on **** product, and also that others don't spend the money on principle; to not support the owner. And, I'm all for that line of thinking. But honestly, this is a sports team, not freakin' Monsanto. In the grand scheme of the world, it's so inconsequential. If those who are adamant about not supporting this team felt that way about some of the real criminals in this world, the planet would be much better off for it.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:16 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:

I understand that some may not want to spend money on **** product, and also that others don't spend the money on principle; to not support the owner. And, I'm all for that line of thinking. But honestly, this is a sports team, not freakin' Monsanto. In the grand scheme of the world, it's so inconsequential. If those who are adamant about not supporting a team felt that way about some of the real criminals in this world, the planet would be much better off for it.
WOW, Nice, I like it!

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:39 PM
goalieman40

Sorry to bring up a slightly older thread, but i am just curious and wanted to hear Islanders fans' opinions on the colors. Is the current look of royal blue and the vintage style preferred over the pre-Edge set with navy blue amongst the loyal followers?

goalieman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:33 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman40 View Post
Sorry to bring up a slightly older thread, but i am just curious and wanted to hear Islanders fans' opinions on the colors. Is the current look of royal blue and the vintage style preferred over the pre-Edge set with navy blue amongst the loyal followers?
Yes, as close to the original as possible.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Poliz24

Quote:
This is my biased opinion, but I think that the Isles currently have the best home/away combo of jersey colors. The 3rd jersey I personally dislike. I think the lettering is bad and the design isn't the best. But the 2 normal jerseys are great.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Satan'sIsland81

I like the design of the current jerseys but, and i am sure i will be in the minority with this, i preferred the navy blue to the royal blue. it was what separated us from the Rags. Now we are basically the same color as them.

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:19 AM
Strummergas

Please stop bumping this god-forsaken thread! We've been over this countless times. Wanna know how Islanders fans feel about the colors, logo, changes, blah blah blah? Just read the previous posts.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:23 PM
goalieman40

Quote:
Please stop bumping this god-forsaken thread! We've been over this countless times. Wanna know how Islanders fans feel about the colors, logo, changes, blah blah blah? Just read the previous posts.
Sorry. Most of what i read was in reference to a complete overhaul with the suggestion of re-branding for Brooklyn, and didn't see much on royal vs navy. I even searched the board and didn't find anything. I've seen a lot on other boards from people who aren't so much fans so I wanted an accurate opinion.

goalieman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:34 PM
OlTimeHockey

The first incarnation of Islander colors came back after the fishstick repaired second color scheme. I think the navy is gone forever. As it should.

The jersey that we won four Cups in and became a cemented icon of NHL history with should stay the same forever, but some people love marketing.....

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

I like the current jerseys. The 3rd jerseys are hideous and should be aborted. I wish the Isles would go without a 3rd jersey but I doubt that will happen.

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 05:01 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
The royal Blue & Orange is Beaustiful....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:50 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
The royal Blue & Orange is Beaustiful....
notice the "US" people.....if you don't agree they're the best jerseys, you're a Communist!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:25 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

If they can manage to make an aesthetically solid 3rd to "milk the Brooklyn tit," so to speak, I'll not hate on it.

The vintage Blue and Orange shouldn't be changed. If an inclusion of Brooklyn on the logo is done, I won't reject it, though the lack of Brooklyn on it would be one of those odd quirks of a logo one can live with....kind of like knowing why the red, blue and yellow stars are in the Steelers logo.

The Penguins make a killing from having so many different variations of jerseys. While I NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER want to follow a model put forth by them, a solid 3rd is a moneymaker that could someday least to Chuckie opening up his wallet a little more. I'll not turn down profit if it means the team profits with it.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:26 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
notice the "US" people.....if you don't agree they're the best jerseys, you're a Communist!
I can always count on you for a laugh

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Islesfans1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
I hope they do, but i am positive i am in the minority. They should be renamed to the Brooklyn Islanders also.
No they shouldn't, the team belongs to all of Long Island, not just Brooklyn.

They wear orange, white and blue, the same colors as the state flag.

They won four straight Stanley Cups in the name, color and logo and it's an excellent combination and the uniforms everyone loves. Concentrate on the product on the ice, that is what needs to get better.

Islesfans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Islesfans1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88th Precinct View Post
If they can manage to make an aesthetically solid 3rd to "milk the Brooklyn tit," so to speak, I'll not hate on it.

The vintage Blue and Orange shouldn't be changed. If an inclusion of Brooklyn on the logo is done, I won't reject it, though the lack of Brooklyn on it would be one of those odd quirks of a logo one can live with....kind of like knowing why the red, blue and yellow stars are in the Steelers logo.

The Penguins make a killing from having so many different variations of jerseys. While I NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER want to follow a model put forth by them, a solid 3rd is a moneymaker that could someday least to Chuckie opening up his wallet a little more. I'll not turn down profit if it means the team profits with it.
The Pens did that to make money and get recognition(the black and gold in 1979 when the Pirates and Steelers were the toast of the town with winning championships) The Pens have always had a problem with fan support and struggled from the beginning, so the changing the jersey was a way of trying to make money to stay alive.

As far as I am concerned, I would love for us to be more like the Devils. The concentrate on what is going on on the ice, not in the wardrobe department. They don't try to make a buck by creating third jerseys or changing logos, colors etc, they have changed their jerseys twice in their 32 years of history and to me they were minor changes considering the revamping some teams have done.

I can almost gurantee you they will do something Brooklyn with a third jersey, or even worse, a fourth jersey. All of which makes us the New York Mets of hockey instead of putting time and energy into how we play, instead of how we look. We look great with two jerseys, I wish we would just leave well enough alone.

Old
06-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Islesfans1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
I like the design of the current jerseys but, and i am sure i will be in the minority with this, i preferred the navy blue to the royal blue. it was what separated us from the Rags. Now we are basically the same color as them.
We did choose those colors because we wanted to be on par with the rags, we chose those because they are the colors of Nassau County.

In my opinion the orange needs to go back to what it was, a deep orange, not the popsicle orange we have now. But on the whole the jerseys we have now rock and I wouldn't change them, the logo, the name or anything, it's our heritage and it needs to be kept intact.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Bossyfan71

I would love to see them bring back that "Orange Crush" jersey from a few years ago as a third. Maybe incorporate a Brooklyn logo with that jersey.

Mike

Bossyfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Darth Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShore91 View Post
I'm even against extending the Island. Keep it the way it is, that's the logo that won 4 Cups. That's the logo of a dynasty. And I will never EVER root for a team called the "Brooklyn Islanders".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
To have a land mass map on a logo that doesn't include where the team plays (Brooklyn) would look ridiculous.
Add Kings and Queens counties and delete Nassau county.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote