Mark Scheifele potential

Old
05-10-2013, 06:26 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I *hope* Scheifele turns way better than Kadri (no guarantees)...

In the regular season Nazem was getting the luckiest On-Ice SH% I've seen in a decent game sample... ever.

This playoff series he's actually had normal shooting percentages, so his production this series is more per minute of icetime as Toronto fans should expect.
(edit: which is lower than Antropov or Wellwood this season).
I hope he turns out better than Kadri as well. Not comparing the players, just discussing the seasoning that Kadri got with the Marlies.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:18 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
O'Dell pretty much has to be in the mix now that he will be waiver eligible.

2nd line RW or 3rd line C/RW could and perhaps should be in play depending on what happens in free agency. I am really looking forward to the internal battles for roster spots next year. Hopefully Burmi, Scheifele and O'Dell can push eachother and Olli. No more of players being handed roster spots due to lack of options.
What's the deadline for buying out Jokinen?

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:42 AM
Rook37

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
What's the deadline for buying out Jokinen?
i don't know how this is still being brought up. it's not going to happen. he's not the worst hockey player in the world and if we bought him out we'd be paying him to play for someone else. he's due to bounce back and even in the worst case scenario he's still not the worst player on the team. i'm hoping he's going to have to earn his spot a bit more next year but i definitely don't think a buyout is realistic

Rook37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:45 AM
Duke749
Formerly "BigTuna49"

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook37 View Post
i don't know how this is still being brought up. it's not going to happen. he's not the worst hockey player in the world and if we bought him out we'd be paying him to play for someone else. he's due to bounce back and even in the worst case scenario he's still not the worst player on the team. i'm hoping he's going to have to earn his spot a bit more next year but i definitely don't think a buyout is realistic
Stop with that common sense!

Duke749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:52 AM
jetsfan101

vCash: 500
We have 4 quality NHL centres at this point, but we don't have 4 RW's. Scheifele shoots right. A lot of young players who play centre in juniors start their pro careers on the wing (Stamkos, Tavares, etc). I see no reason why we can't see Scheif start the season on the wing next to Burm (and hopefully Antropov).

jetsfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan101 View Post
We have 4 quality NHL centres at this point, but we don't have 4 RW's. Scheifele shoots right. A lot of young players who play centre in juniors start their pro careers on the wing (Stamkos, Tavares, etc). I see no reason why we can't see Scheif start the season on the wing next to Burm (and hopefully Antropov).
Personally, I see Scheifele's game much more suited to centre. He gave it a go in the world juniors, but his overall game is much better suited to the middle IMO.

If it were up to me I'd move Burmi or even Jokinin to the wing first.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:58 PM
jetsfan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Personally, I see Scheifele's game much more suited to centre. He gave it a go in the world juniors, but his overall game is much better suited to the middle IMO.

Both of those guys shoot left, so that wouldn't help our search for a RW. We're fine on the left side with Ladd, Kane, Tangradi and Wright. Our RW's at this point are Wheeler, Thorburn and Peluso.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:

Agreed.

I could see Scheifele making a transition to wing at some point in his career, but his hockey sense and vision seem much better utilized at centre, whereas his lack of explosive skating hampers him a bit on the wing.

Another thing is that his wheelhouse, so to speak, really seems to be that area below the faceoff dot just to the left (his left, goalie's right) of goal. Putting him at RW is going to take him away from that spot.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:21 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

I really can't see Scheifele on the wing - I think that would be a waste of his potential. He's so comfortable and responsible in the middle of the ice, and does such a great job of making his wingers more successful while also playing the sniper role: playing on the wing really doesn't play to his strengths, IMHO. I'd rather see him spend time in the AHL working on his game at centre than move him directly to wing in the NHL.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:29 PM
jetsfan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I really can't see Scheifele on the wing - I think that would be a waste of his potential. He's so comfortable and responsible in the middle of the ice, and does such a great job of making his wingers more successful while also playing the sniper role: playing on the wing really doesn't play to his strengths, IMHO. I'd rather see him spend time in the AHL working on his game at centre than move him directly to wing in the NHL.
I realize I could've worded it better, instead of just implying that while Stamkos and Tavares started at wing they have since moved back to centre, but putting Scheifele at RW would clearly just be for the short term. The fact is, we are desperate for a RW or 2, and Scheif seems to be the most legitimate option from our centremen to move over there.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:42 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
Burmi should not be on the wing, he needs to be a C with fast wingers to kick his bad habits.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Duke749
Formerly "BigTuna49"

vCash: 984
Scheifele could see some time on the RW next season. It's certainly possible. But long term, he's a center either way.

Duke749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:41 PM
truck

I would like to see Burmi, Scheifele and Lowry all developed at centre. The more centres the better, especially when it comes to high upside players.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 04:34 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

LLW
Kane-Scheifele-Burmistrov
UFA-Jokinen-UFA
Tangradi-Slater-Wright

I shall keep driving this in until Noel/Chevy send me a confirmation email

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 05:03 PM
scelaton

Quote:
I would like to see Burmi, Scheifele and Lowry all developed at centre. The more centres the better, especially when it comes to high upside players.
OTOH, I could see Burmi, Scheifele and Lowry all on the same line at some point.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 05:13 PM
HannuJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
OTOH, I could see Burmi, Scheifele and Lowry all on the same line at some point.
um, highly doubt it.

can't think of a worse player to but with Mark than Burmistrov. Mr Bad Habits going with your rookie centre? yikes.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 05:56 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
um, highly doubt it.

can't think of a worse player to but with Mark than Burmistrov. Mr Bad Habits going with your rookie centre? yikes.
Here we go again. I take it you are not in the pro-Burmi camp.
Just remember, Mr Bad Habits is generally considered to have shown at least as good a skill set as Scheifele in the only year he was allowed to play in Barrie. They are less than a year and a half apart in age...is it fair that we coddle Scheif but crucify Burmi for his imperfect adjustment to the pros?
If Scheif were to move up from 3C to 2C in 14/15 to play with Burmi, he (Scheif) would no longer be a rookie and Burmi, given the time to develop, may just have lost some some of his Bad Habits.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 05:58 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
LLW
Kane-Scheifele-Burmistrov
UFA-Jokinen-UFA
Tangradi-Slater-Wright

I shall keep driving this in until Noel/Chevy send me a confirmation email
Get Tangradi off there and you may be on to something.

puck stoppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 06:01 PM
PaperRockChamp

Scheif still has a long way to go, IMO. He is coming along nicely. I hope that He, Lowry, Trouba and Redmond all spend the year on the Rock and do some damage together while the Franchise adjusts to the West.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 06:04 PM
HannuJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Here we go again. I take it you are not in the pro-Burmi camp.
Just remember, Mr Bad Habits is generally considered to have shown at least as good a skill set as Scheifele in the only year he was allowed to play in Barrie. They are less than a year and a half apart in age...is it fair that we coddle Scheif but crucify Burmi for his imperfect adjustment to the pros?
If Scheif were to move up from 3C to 2C in 14/15 to play with Burmi, he (Scheif) would no longer be a rookie and Burmi, given the time to develop, may just have lost some some of his Bad Habits.
you can talk about his junior skillset...but that hasn' translated to the bigs. don't care as far as the reasons why. we don't have time machines. can't correct him being rushed. but we can see how he (didn't) fare in the AHL for his brief stint this season. we could see how he was put on the 4th line by Noel. so not sure if you can compare oranges to apples.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 06:05 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperRockChamp View Post
Scheif still has a long way to go, IMO. He is coming along nicely. I hope that He, Lowry, Trouba and Redmond all spend the year on the Rock and do some damage together while the Franchise adjusts to the West.
Regardless of whether or not one or all of them show that they deserve a spot in the NHL?

Old
05-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan101 View Post
Both of those guys shoot left, so that wouldn't help our search for a RW. We're fine on the left side with Ladd, Kane, Tangradi and Wright. Our RW's at this point are Wheeler, Thorburn and Peluso.
I hear ya, and agree with you. We could see Scheifele on RW next year in a short term basis. I just wouldn't prefer it. I would probably put Burmi or Joki on their off side first.
But that's another reason why I think it would be a good move to see what it would take to get Hemsky. If the price is as low as some Oiler fans think (mid pick), you could put Kane and Hemsky together, and whomever of Scheifele, Burmi, or Joki was playing well.
It would be interesting to know what the org thinks the Future is for Burmi. If they want Lowry in the middle, at the least you should have your 2/3 centres in Scheifele and Lowry. Where does Burmi fit long term?

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:37 PM
truck

Quote:
I hear ya, and agree with you. We could see Scheifele on RW next year in a short term basis. I just wouldn't prefer it. I would probably put Burmi or Joki on their off side first.
But that's another reason why I think it would be a good move to see what it would take to get Hemsky. If the price is as low as some Oiler fans think (mid pick), you could put Kane and Hemsky together, and whomever of Scheifele, Burmi, or Joki was playing well.
It would be interesting to know what the org thinks the Future is for Burmi. If they want Lowry in the middle, at the least you should have your 2/3 centres in Scheifele and Lowry. Where does Burmi fit long term?
Eric O'Dell will be in the mix at RW too. He is a right handed shot and looked good next to Burmi on the Rock.

Old
05-11-2013, 07:39 PM
truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperRockChamp View Post
I believe Redmond is waiver eligible next year. I can't see him making it through.

Old
05-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Bob E

Quote:
I believe Redmond is waiver eligible next year. I can't see him making it through.
I think Redmond sticks in NHL. May be a 6/7 dman but he should be in Winnipeg. IMO, has more upside than Postma. Really question Postma's ability to defend.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote