HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torres

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2003, 06:59 PM
coyote

vCash: 500
Torres

How did he get the first star?

Old
09-27-2003, 07:04 PM
hockeyaddict101

He created chances

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
How did he get the first star?
Every time he was on the ice and scored a great goal. I thought he was one of the best Oilers on the ice tonight.

Though IMO Conklin should have been first star.

Old
09-27-2003, 07:08 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Drunk people voting for the stars maybe. He didn't do anything spectacular, had the goal and one hit, that's pretty much it. He still showed sluggish hands and backed away from some checks. Still dissappointed.

Old
09-27-2003, 07:22 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Drunk people voting for the stars maybe. He didn't do anything spectacular, had the goal and one hit, that's pretty much it. He still showed sluggish hands and backed away from some checks. Still dissappointed.
Completely disagree. He stole the puck four or five times tonight. Just because the Oilers that he got the puck to didn't do anything with it!

Most of the fans in my section were impressed with him, he is going to be quickly a fan favourite.

Old
09-27-2003, 07:25 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Most of the people in a couple sections I was in agreed with coining the term "pulling a Raffi" to use when players fall on their butt or completely screw up with the puck. When you're counting taking a few pucks away as having a good game, there's something wrong. This guy should be alot better than he's playing.

Old
09-27-2003, 07:34 PM
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Completely disagree. He stole the puck four or five times tonight. Just because the Oilers that he got the puck to didn't do anything with it!

Most of the fans in my section were impressed with him, he is going to be quickly a fan favourite.
Maybe he is going to be a fan favorite but to give him the first star tonight is a great injustice. Like it was stated before he had maybe one hit and got a goal which would never hit the highlite reel. If this is all that is required to get the first star then the guy picking them must not have gone there to watch the game because there were a few players that were alot better. It looks like someone is trying to make the trade for him look good.

Old
09-27-2003, 07:37 PM
capta

Send a message via ICQ to capta
Quote:

Wow...what game were you watching? he didn't do anything. Yeah, he scored, but I've been very disappointed in what I've seen from him.

Old
09-27-2003, 07:37 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Most of the people in a couple sections I was in agreed with coining the term "pulling a Raffi" to use when players fall out their butt or completely screw up with the puck. When you're counting taking a few pucks away as having a good game, there's something wrong. This guy should be alot better than he's playing.
Hmm, you and I will have to agree to disagree on this one. But the last time I checked the whole idea of the game was to score goals!!

I liked him tonight and in a game that really no forward really stood out he was one of the best Oiler forwards.

Old
09-27-2003, 07:39 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta
Wow...what game were you watching? he didn't do anything. Yeah, he scored, but I've been very disappointed in what I've seen from him.
I stand by what I saw. Yeah I know goal scoring is just not important at all

I am sure if more Oiler forwards had played half decent it would have been a different story. I am not trying to say he is the best player in the world but in a bad night he played better than most of the Oilers!

Old
09-27-2003, 07:43 PM
Lowetide

Well, in the post game MacT made a point of saying he was pleased with his play tonight, for what it's worth.

Old
09-27-2003, 07:53 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Well, in the post game MacT made a point of saying he was pleased with his play tonight, for what it's worth.
IMO it is an example of expecting to much out of a player. He was so hyped up on this board that everyone is expecting more than what he is.

I expect a 4th line player that will cause some problems and helps with the cycle. I expect him to be part of an energy line and I think that is what MacTavish expects as well. Any time a fourth line player causes a few turnovers and scores a goal he has had a good night.

If you are expecting more than that you are bound to be dissapointed.

Old
09-27-2003, 07:56 PM
oilersrule14

I agree with spaz on this one. Nobody was really impressive tonight, imo. Torres was one our better forwards out there. He didn't do anything spectacular, but he played a good, solid game.

Old
09-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
IMO it is an example of expecting to much out of a player. He was so hyped up on this board that everyone is expecting more than what he is.
That's EXACTLY what I fear for Hemsky to be honest. There's a Hemsky thread somewhere in here where his predicted point totals are going so high he can't win.

They're both just finding their way, imo. Torres could have a solid season on the 4th line and score 7 goals. As long as he's snarly on those Sunday afternoon games in Raleigh when everyone is sleep walking through the entire 60 minutes, Torres will earn his keep.

Old
09-27-2003, 08:38 PM
TheBrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Maybe he is going to be a fan favorite but to give him the first star tonight is a great injustice. Like it was stated before he had maybe one hit and got a goal which would never hit the highlite reel. If this is all that is required to get the first star then the guy picking them must not have gone there to watch the game because there were a few players that were alot better. It looks like someone is trying to make the trade for him look good.
LOL an injustice for gods sake it's just a pre season game.but i think the first star thing was a polt to get Torres confidence up because he has been playing kinda crappy lately and i am kinda wishing that MacT puts Torres on a line with York and Dvorak next game to see if he does have some hidding scoring touch some where inside him.

Old
09-27-2003, 08:43 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
That's EXACTLY what I fear for Hemsky to be honest. There's a Hemsky thread somewhere in here where his predicted point totals are going so high he can't win.

They're both just finding their way, imo. Torres could have a solid season on the 4th line and score 7 goals. As long as he's snarly on those Sunday afternoon games in Raleigh when everyone is sleep walking through the entire 60 minutes, Torres will earn his keep.

yep you are soooo right.... about hemsky and torres..... both are prolly gonna be pretty decent players this year (moreso hemsky i would think) and both will hopefully do what very young players should do.... gradually improve and slowly become better, help out when they can..... we cant expect hemsky and torres (and to a lesser extent isbister) to play like seasoned veterans this year.... we should be happy with what they give us

Old
09-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
LOL an injustice for gods sake it's just a pre season game.but i think the first star thing was a polt to get Torres confidence up because he has been playing kinda crappy lately and i am kinda wishing that MacT puts Torres on a line with York and Dvorak next game to see if he does have some hidding scoring touch some where inside him.
I didn't see him as a star either and would have chosen Conklin and two blue jackets over Torres. The fact is in Edmonton they often give a star to newer players and especially ones that Oiler management wants to succeed. Lowe needs Dvorak, Isbister and Torres to earn their dollars and at 2 million, 1.95 million and over 1 million respectively they all have a lot to live up to.

By the way, Cross was slower than I remember and that's frightening.

Old
09-27-2003, 09:09 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
I didn't see him as a star either and would have chosen Conklin and two blue jackets over Torres. The fact is in Edmonton they often give a star to newer players and especially ones that Oiler management wants to succeed. Lowe needs Dvorak, Isbister and Torres to earn their dollars and at 2 million, 1.95 million and over 1 million respectively they all have a lot to live up to.

By the way, Cross was slower than I remember and that's frightening.
We played the Wild, not the Blue Jackets.

Old
09-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14
We played the Wild, not the Blue Jackets.
Oops, my mistake but easy to do as they're equally boring. I would have liked it to be the jackets and seen how Marchant plays for them, especially after the war of words he and Lowe have had.

Closed Thread