HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

MTL draft day proposal

Old
05-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Chacal667

vCash: 500
MTL draft day proposal

Lars Eller + a first for Sean Monahan

your thoughts...

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:38 PM
LeHaboholique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post

your thoughts...
If Eller comes back just as strong as when he left there won't be no need to do it. Now, im not saying Eller is better in the 5 year long run but I believe Galchenyuk as first, Eller as second. Theoretically Eller eventually can take Plekanec' spot on the second line and with all of his duties. IMO, no need for another logjam at Centre when we have an able bodied #2 NOW instead of the close to unknown. the IDEA of Mohanan is awesome but I wouldn't go as far as a first and Eller for the unpredictability of a player, while good, unproven.

LeHaboholique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Chacal667

replace Eller by all our choice, like the Islanders wanted to do when they made their offer for Murray

Old
05-05-2013, 01:58 PM
LeHaboholique

Quote:
replace Eller by all our choice, like the Islanders wanted to do when they made their offer for Murray
then what do you do with Eller, Plekanec and DD?

LeHaboholique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Draft

Quote:

your thoughts...
I wouldn't do that. Eller fits in very well with the team and I believe, after this year, that he's shown he can step into a more prominent role on our team (ie #2 Center). There's no guarantee Monahan even reaches where Eller is now. It doesn't make sense unless it was Eller straight across for the 6th overall to help a team picking at that spot compete now. Shiny new toys and picks don't always work out. Short and long term loss IMO.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHaboholique View Post
then what do you do with Eller, Plekanec and DD?
well you are right we have wayyyyyyyyy too many centers, what we gonna do ?

one of them could play at the wing.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I wouldn't do that. Eller fits in very well with the team and I believe, after this year, that he's shown he can step into a more prominent role on our team (ie #2 Center). There's no guarantee Monahan even reaches where Eller is now. It doesn't make sense unless it was Eller straight across for the 6th overall to help a team picking at that spot compete now. Shiny new toys and picks don't always work out. Short and long term loss IMO.
I'm a big fan of the Habs, I think I was born with a shirt of the habs, but I'm not sold to Lars Eller and I seriously doubt that he will become a second line center one day, he could play there but as one of the worst second line center in the league. Eller miss of vision with the puck to generate enough offensively. That kid is overvalued by some homers.

Old
05-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Draft

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the Habs, I think I was born with a shirt of the habs, but I'm not sold to Lars Eller and I seriously doubt that he will become a second line center one day, he could play there but as one of the worst second line center in the league. Eller miss of vision with the puck to generate enough offensively. That kid is overvalued by some homers.
I am also a big fan of the Habs..... Eller is still young, still has impressive stats offensively and is clearly capable defensively. He was easily our second best center this year and some games, our best center. What makes you think Monahan will be a huge improvement and capable of making an impact any time soon? There's no reason for Montreal to give up two big assets to take a chance on a far from sure pick, there's no reason for Montreal to trade Eller unless it's for a big return. Terrible asset management.

Old
05-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
I am also a big fan of the Habs..... Eller is still young, still has impressive stats offensively and is clearly capable defensively. He was easily our second best center this year and some games, our best center. What makes you think Monahan will be a huge improvement and capable of making an impact any time soon? There's no reason for Montreal to give up two big assets to take a chance on a far from sure pick, there's no reason for Montreal to trade Eller unless it's for a big return. Terrible asset management.
I'm high on monahan because of the scouts report that I got and the games I saw at the world junior. I think Lars Eller could become a good third line center but he cut the legs of his wingers when he play with talented players simply because he's not a good passer.

I like Eller but I wouldnt like him if he was playing as our second line center, Galchenyuk and Plekanec are better than him anyway.

Monahan is already more talented and he's exactly the kind of player that the habs need, a guy over 6' with skills.

Old
05-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Maybe you should clarify what you think a 2nd line centre should be because I "think" a 2nd line centre should be:

(a) a 50 point guy
(b) defensively responsible
(3) strong enough to handle the other teams better centres.

Lars is young and already there on all 3 counts.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Maybe you should clarify what you think a 2nd line centre should be because I "think" a 2nd line centre should be:

(a) a 50 point guy
(b) defensively responsible
(3) strong enough to handle the other teams better centres.

Lars is young and already there on all 3 counts.
First : Lars Eller should be better than Plekanec and Galchenyuk ( he's not )
Second : he should be a better passer to feed his wingers ( he's young and could improve it )
Third : I sincerely believe that Monahan will become a better player based on the scouts report and what I saw at the world junior, that kid remember me Gallagher for his combativity

Old
05-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Draft

Quote:
I'm high on monahan because of the scouts report that I got and the games I saw at the world junior. I think Lars Eller could become a good third line center but he cut the legs of his wingers when he play with talented players simply because he's not a good passer.

I like Eller but I wouldnt like him if he was playing as our second line center, Galchenyuk and Plekanec are better than him anyway.

Monahan is already more talented and he's exactly the kind of player that the habs need, a guy over 6' with skills.
Lars Eller is already easily one of the top-5/10 3rd line centers in the league and is improving immensely season to season. He is quite a good passer, he's fast enough to keep up with the play, he creates offence, he can transition between zones, he's got a good shot, he inhibits other teams better lines... As Frozenice said, what else are you looking for? He's played with Galchenyuk and Prust predominantly this year. Galchenyuk isn't naturally a centre and Prust has little offensive ability. They're both still producing this year and that line has been one of the best on our team all season long.

You've read scouting reports and watched a couple of Monahan's games at the WJC. I've done the same thing and in no way is Monahan already more talented than Eller. There's no chance he could step into the NHL next year and produce as Eller has.

Eller is also over 6', has begun to play more physically and has skills. Who have you been watching?

Old
05-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Lars Eller is already easily one of the top-5/10 3rd line centers in the league and is improving immensely season to season. He is quite a good passer, he's fast enough to keep up with the play, he creates offence, he can transition between zones, he's got a good shot, he inhibits other teams better lines... As Frozenice said, what else are you looking for? He's played with Galchenyuk and Prust predominantly this year. Galchenyuk isn't naturally a centre and Prust has little offensive ability. They're both still producing this year and that line has been one of the best on our team all season long.

You've read scouting reports and watched a couple of Monahan's games at the WJC. I've done the same thing and in no way is Monahan already more talented than Eller. There's no chance he could step into the NHL next year and produce as Eller has.

Eller is also over 6', has begun to play more physically and has skills. Who have you been watching?
we clearly don't have the same perception, I'm as sure that Monahan is more talented than Eller as I know my own name. But the only proof of that will come to us when Monahan will play in the nhl.

And btw you couldn't be more wrong for Galchenyuk, HE IS a natural center. Ask Michel Therrien if you don't believe it.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Draft

Quote:
we clearly don't have the same perception, I'm as sure that Monahan is more talented than Eller as I know my own name. But the only proof of that will come to us when Monahan will play in the nhl.

And btw you couldn't be more wrong for Galchenyuk, HE IS a natural center. Ask Michel Therrien if you don't believe it.
Yeah, meant "naturally a winger". As in, he isn't playing in his natural position but he's still capable of producing with Eller.

Keep in mind, Monahan is playing against players his own age and younger. Eller is playing against the best players in the world in the NHL.

This just isn't a good proposal for Montreal IMO. Though, Monahan should be a good player in the future.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Yeah, meant "naturally a winger". As in, he isn't playing in his natural position but he's still capable of producing with Eller.

Keep in mind, Monahan is playing against players his own age and younger. Eller is playing against the best players in the world in the NHL.

This just isn't a good proposal for Montreal IMO. Though, Monahan should be a good player in the future.
They all start somewhere, Monahan is much better than Eller was at the same age. IMO

Don't forget that this is a deep draft and Monahan could be in the top 4.

Did you know that Eller took more time to start in the nhl because of a lack of combativity ?

Old
05-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Chacal667

the thing that shock me the most is the fact that some of you guys would trade Plekanec for a top 10 pick ( in 2013 ) but not Eller, while Plekanec is a much better player.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Neither Eller nor Plekanec would be traded for a prospect at Monahan's level. He may become as good as they are. Maybe better. Maybe not. But it would all be some time in the indeterminate future. It's simply a non-starter for the Habs, even before you throw in any draft pick.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 04:40 PM
EagleBelfour

I love Sean Mohanan, but his upside is pretty much a little better version of the current Lars Eller. Eller himself, still have room to grow. With a team that have been patient with Eller for years, a team that finished second in their conference; why doing this deal and take a step back?

Moreover, the Canadiens rarely makes big splash at the draft. I definitely could see them move one of their second round pick to move up a few spot in the draft to select a player they really like, like they did with Jarret Tinordi a few years back, but to make such a bold move would be unlikely to say the least.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
I love Sean Mohanan, but his upside is pretty much a little better version of the current Lars Eller. Eller himself, still have room to grow. With a team that have been patient with Eller for years, a team that finished second in their conference; why doing this deal and take a step back?

Moreover, the Canadiens rarely makes big splash at the draft. I definitely could see them move one of their second round pick to move up a few spot in the draft to select a player they really like, like they did with Jarret Tinordi a few years back, but to make such a bold move would be unlikely to say the least.
You are probably right, except that I think that the upside of Monahan is more than just a lil better than Eller and it's not like if Eller was essential to the habs with Plecky DD and Galchenyuk in place.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
the thing that shock me the most is the fact that some of you guys would trade Plekanec for a top 10 pick ( in 2013 ) but not Eller, while Plekanec is a much better player.
The reason for trading Plekanec was part of doing a rebuild and trading away veterans for young players or prospects. It's a path I was in favour of at the time (and still am to some extant) but being a realist it doesn't look like that's the course we are on.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
You are probably right, except that I think that the upside of Monahan is more than just a lil better than Eller and it's not like if Eller was essential to the habs with Plecky DD and Galchenyuk in place.
For now we can get by without Eller but, long term, the odd man out is DD and, while he may not be 'untouchable' per say, Eller is still an integral part of our long term stability at center.

Eller and Plekanec give us strong two-way play for the foreseeable future on our #2/3 lines. Due to their respective ages and stages of their careers, as Plekanec comes out of his prime, Eller should be just entering his which means the two should be able to, comfortably, switch roles without a huge drop-off in quality from what we see now. This is why, unless we get a particularly sweet offer, we should not trade either.

As for our other centers, Gally produced only one less point then DD this season. While he, likely, did not see the same quality of competition as DD, he also played close to four minutes less per game on average and DD saw almost three times as much time on the PP per game then Gally. If we look at their production just on 5-on-5, then Gally outscores DD this season but this does not mean that DD is now a spare part.

I still would not trade DD (or any of our centers) to move up in the draft as, having DD and his production as an option, means we can ease Galchenyuk into the role of being our primary scorer without having to depend on his production while he develops. As long as we have DD (and Eller/Pleks), Gally can afford to struggle to produce while he develops because others can pick up the slack, much as he did this season when DD faced tougher situations and competition. Right now, DD is our safety net.

If we trade up in the draft, it should not come at a cost of any of our NHL centers, even for a player of Monohan's caliber.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:44 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:

your thoughts...
Why do it? Monahan doesn't project much better than Eller is. A second line two-way center. Just be throwing away Habs first round pick

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Callahan27

Either I'm going nuts or some of the reasoning in here is wrong. Weren't Mackinnon and Drouin the only draft eligible players at the World Juniors this year? How could anybody have seen Monahan play there?

Callahan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan27 View Post
Either I'm going nuts or some of the reasoning in here is wrong. Weren't Mackinnon and Drouin the only draft eligible players at the World Juniors this year? How could anybody have seen Monahan play there?
Internationally, I've only seen him play at the Ivan Hlinka, you may very well be right.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:17 PM
clownquestionbro*

nope not even close, the habs with trevor timmins prowess could probably find a better gem than monohan with their own pick. lars is really coming into his own too, NO way we trade him now.

clownquestionbro* is offline   Reply With Quote