Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Scouting report on Ottawa please?

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2005, 07:31 AM
trahans99

vCash: 500
Scouting report on Ottawa please?

I'm just curious about this 67's team that surprisingly up 3-0 on the Petes. Can anyone give me a full team analysis including their D, forwards, goaltending, special teams.

Living in London, I haven't seen them except for when London hammered them. It looks like this team is gaining momentum and might give London (if they beat KW) a stiffer test than most would think.

I've only heard of Macari, Bickell, Kaspar but know much about them or any other player

Old
04-26-2005, 10:28 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 5380
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Like all of Kilrea's teams, they play well as a team. I've been to 3 of the playoff games and plan to be at game 4. Hopefully the clincher.

Ottawa has been unbeatable at home, Currently 7-0 in the playoffs. Great home record as well during the regular season.

Playoffs has been Battochio, (sp?) the goalie. This guy has been out playing every goalie he's faced so far. He's not flashy but he plays his angles well and is just steady. Reminds me of J.S. Giguere during Anaheim's run. Just solid and hard to get it by him.

They have physical forwards that can skate. Mancari has a great scoring touch and Kaspar and Petruzalek have finally started to click offensively. Then you have guys like Bonello, Bickell, Talbot and Hullit to round out the forwards. Ottawa had 7 20 goal scorers this year. They come with a balanced attack, 3 lines that can put the puck in the net and they are all fairly responsible on the defensive side as well.

Defense is average in size but gritty. Brad Staubitz and Wil Colbert have shown that they are a force. Running a pretty good powerplay and a very stingy defense. Again, a couple standouts on the team, no big names like a Perry or a Richards but put all these guys together, Killer behined the bench and a hot goalie and they are rolling.

Old
04-26-2005, 01:25 PM
The HW

That's a good roundup, cfrancis. Ottawa is essentially a three-line balanced attack with solid goaltending. The defence, IMO, is performing better than the sum of its parts, but I would worry about them against London's forwards. (Yeah, that's an understatement).

Ottawa's received good returns on their trades this year. Hulit, a speedy 20yo winger with a quick release, was acquired mid-season and has been their scoring leader in the regular- and postseason. Staubitz, the other big acquisition, has anchored the entire defence corps. He drops the gloves when needed, is the shooter on the point, and has arguably changed the attitude of the entire team, which at one point was considered too complacent.

FORWARDS
Hulit is centred by Talbot, a two-way centre whose production has picked up down the stretch. On the LW is McGinn, a 16yo who has surprised in the postseason (9pts/15gms).

The European imports, Kaspar and Petruzalek, play on a line with overager Jeremy Akeson. Kaspar especially has really come into his own in the playoffs. He's been making incredible passes, and took Brian Little out of Round 1 with a solid check.

Mancari can be dominant, and when he scores one he tends to add two more for good measure. I think he's had 5 hattricks in the past few months, with 2 in the playoffs, IIRC -- he's clutch on breakaways and a big body in front of the net. He's centred by Bonello, a (skilled) pest, and flanked by Bickell, an offensive threat.

DEFENCE
There isn't much offence from the back end beyond Staubitz and Colbert, the captain. I would like to see more overall from Colbert, though there's nothing wrong with him, per se. I like Joslin as a puck mover, and the other guys are competing well, if nothing else.

GOALTENDING.
Danny Battochio has been the difference in every series. He faces a lot of shots and has a knack for not giving up the rebounds. I'm very impressed, and as a mostly NHL-watcher, I'm wondering about what the scouts think of him for the upcoming draft. He was passed over once (predominantly as a backup, with a great starting stretch) with serious health problems that he's since recovered from.

SPECIAL TEAMS
The PP is pretty good, they do a good job creating traffic with Mancari's line and moving the puck with Talbot/Hulit's. Staubitz plays the left point (righty shot) with his hard one-timer, and Kaspar plays the right point, often finding the open man with his great vision or putting low shots on goal. The PK is okay. They have to avoid getting into penalty trouble with the Petes, nevermind (potentially) the Knights.

Old
04-26-2005, 02:44 PM
bert

Im gonna dissagree a little on the descriptions of a few players but overall pretty good.

First off I will list the weaknesses.

Ottawa's d has defenitely been playing over there heads, there really isnt any talent after Staubitz, Colbert and the rookie Joslin. Vanherpt rounds out the top 4 he plays a stay at home style nothing spectacular. Staubitz has stepped up big time and I mean big time this playoff run. He is mean big tough mobile moves the puck and is unforgiving. Staubitz pounded Stortini in one of the best OHL fights I have ever seen. Either Perry or Richards will see alot of him in the finals.

Not that great on the road thats why im surprised they won two in Peterborough.

Strengths

The real strenghs of this 67's team is between the pipes and its tremendous amount of offensive depth and timely scoring. Keep in mind the 67's were the highest scoring team in the east and the third highest in the entire league one goal behind Owen Sound.

Battochio is on fire, the Giguere comparison in my mind is way off. He is a butterfly hybrid goaltender very similiar to Marc Andre Fleury. He is small but very fast and plays very big. He does cover the angles well but he has lightning fast legs that are very strong, he can push off the inside of his pad without using his skate much like Fleury. He goes post to post as well as any OHL goaltender I have ever seen.

He should be a relatively high pick whenever the draft happens again, last year was his draft year but he had very limited action and he is short (well short by nhl standards 5'10).

The other strength is upfront the 67's basically have three very good second lines where pretty much every game one or two step up and play like a first line. the 4th line plays its roll to a T they are fast young and have some size Alphonso is going to be a very good player.

Bickell Bonnello Mancari
Mcginn Talbot Hulit
Akeson Petrozalek Kaspar
VandVeeken Ouellette Alphonso

The 67's have great size upfront, id say Hulit is the best forward on the team he is great on the PK and has an unbelievable shot. He uses his size well has good offensive instincts, he isnt the fastest skater but when he gets going he is alright. Talbot is great both ways very speedy and creative a good compliment to Hulit. Mcginn is quick but usually isnt as involved as the other two.

Kaspar has superstar potential he just doesnt seem to play at a high level consistently. This first round pick is 6'2 with wheels he looks alot like Marian Hossa when he skates. Kaspar has by far the most talent on this team. His Czech buddy Petrozalek is very crafty and quick, both played at the world juniors. Akeson is big and makes room for the other two.

Bickell Bonnello Mancari is prolbably the most complete line. Mancari is very streaky he is a local London boy he is 6'5 and hard to handel down low. Just dont let him get a breakaway he went three for three game 6 vs Sudbury. Bickell has the raw talent another streaky player big fast strong. Bonnello is the OHL's Darcy Tucker a true ____ disturber not bad hands pretty opportunistic.

There is my breakdown. Enjoy

Last edited by bert: 04-26-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old
04-26-2005, 07:46 PM
trahans99

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. Now that you've done your analysis on Ottawa, how do you think they would fare against London and Kitchener.

I'd say if its London/Ottawa, i'd say London in 5 due to the overwhelming amount of talent, heart and determination. Ottawa has 3 balanced lines, but so does London and by far more offensive potential. London top 4 are as good as any in the CHL if not the best and goaltending, well Dennis shines in playoffs and Coleman is no slouch either.

The only way for Ottawa and even Kitchener for that matter is going to beat London is by staying out of the box (if only Valabik, Keefe and Clarkson were smart enought to figure that out by now). And if Ottawa's goalie continues his hot streak, he may give them a fighting chance, but I still highly doubt it. Ottawa will be thrilled to get to the finals as they've already guaranteed themselves a berth in the mem cup.

I'm not knocking Ottawa in anyway, I admire what they've done this post season especially against the Petes, but against London they'd be way over there heads.

If they play Kitchener I think they'd be able to atleast stretch it to 6 games and maybe 7 if the goalie stays hot but would eventually lose to Kitchener.

Any of you that gave me an analysis on Ottawa care to give me your thoughts on the Knights? I was going to do one myself but will wait until the Mem cup. I'd like to hear what you think though.

Thanks,

Shaun

Old
04-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Bytown

I would not be to sure about that.Ottawa has shown to have more heart then any other team as of yet.Now yes london has some talent but they would have to deal with some thing that they have not had to deal with as of yet.Thats is the amazing danny,b this would not be a high scoring series.And then they big factor can london deal with the ottawa fans.Ottawa has yet to lose at home in the play-offs.

Old
04-26-2005, 09:26 PM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog2005
I would not be to sure about that.Ottawa has shown to have more heart then any other team as of yet.Now yes london has some talent but they would have to deal with some thing that they have not had to deal with as of yet.Thats is the amazing danny,b this would not be a high scoring series.And then they big factor can london deal with the ottawa fans.Ottawa has yet to lose at home in the play-offs.
Thing about it is London doesn't have to win in Ottawa, Ottawa has to win in London (who has also not yet lost at home in the playoffs).

Kitchener isn't done yet though so I think I'll hold off for a few days before discussing a possible Ottawa / London series

Tom

Old
04-26-2005, 09:49 PM
trahans99

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada
Thing about it is London doesn't have to win in Ottawa, Ottawa has to win in London (who has also not yet lost at home in the playoffs).

Kitchener isn't done yet though so I think I'll hold off for a few days before discussing a possible Ottawa / London series

Tom
thats why i asked what do u think the series would be if it was London/Ottawa or Kitchener/Ottawa?

I said London in 5
Kitchener in 6 maybe 7 if goalie is still hot

Old
04-26-2005, 09:56 PM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahans99
thats why i asked what do u think the series would be if it was London/Ottawa or Kitchener/Ottawa?

I said London in 5
Kitchener in 6 maybe 7 if goalie is still hot
Seems about right to me. I'd say London in 4 or 5 and Kitchener in 5 or 6.

Not a disrespect to a strong Ottawa team at all, but this year I think the West is just too strong.

Tom

Old
04-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Hossa

I'd be shocked if the 67's even pushed it to a game 7 against London, if such a series were to take place. Ottawa's defence has been its weakness all year, and while they're playing great in the playoffs, they're overachieving. But they haven't faced anything close to London's offence yet. Battochio can only be so incredible, and even as well as the defence has played, he's still had to be sensational for this run to take place. Kitchener is a much tougher test for London than Ottawa or Peterborough would be.

Old
04-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Bytown

Even if this series happens the team the does not win could end up claiming the mem.

Old
04-27-2005, 08:48 AM
The HW

I'd be worried that if the 67s did make the Finals, that we might see a happy-to-be-here syndrome. I know I'd feel it. Kilrea can work magic but even getting this far didn't seem to be in the cards through any part of the season. I'd be pleased if they can keep the pedal down against the Petes and if we move on, just keep it simple and hope to steal a few games.

Through Rounds 1 and 2, the 67s went up against weak goaltending. In Round 3, we've faced better goaltending but an underperforming offence -- though we caught a glimpse of what can happen last game. If a powerhouse team puts it all together against the 67s...

The biggest reward (to me) will be seeing Battochio get drafted. He's been a great story this year.

Old
04-27-2005, 09:49 AM
OHLArenaGuide

The only way I can see Ottawa beating London or Kitchener is if they beat each other up to the point that they have nothing left for the final.

Old
04-27-2005, 10:41 AM
cfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec17
The only way I can see Ottawa beating London or Kitchener is if they beat each other up to the point that they have nothing left for the final.
That's what I see. The way that series is going, those two teams are beating the hell out of each other. Whomever comes out of there is going to be a little sore. Unless London runs off 2 straight. But I see Kitchener winning at least one more game.

If London wins, I see London in 6.
Kitchener wins, Ottawa in 7.

Ottawa throws a different style of game than the two teams in the west. And they are very good on being an opportunity team. I have seen them sit and wait for their opportunity and when one mistake happens they capitalize and usually make a mark on the scoreboard. I underestimated the 67's going into this series, thinking that they might be outmatched a little. But they have put the play to the Petes for the most part. There have been a couple of periods that they have sat back on a lead and infuriated fans but Battochio was there always for the big save. I'd like to see them take some of the work off the goalie and dictate the play for 60 full mins. If Killer can get the entire team to skate full tilt for 60, they are a tough team to beat.

Old
04-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Bytown

Will london be able to play in front of 20,000 fans will it get to them toss them off there game.

Old
04-27-2005, 01:28 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Will london be able to play in front of 20,000 fans will it get to them toss them off there game.
I'm not sure where 20,000 fans will sit, but London is used to playing in front of 9,000 and Ottawa seats just slightly more (I believe - Sec 17, can you confirm this?)

Old
04-27-2005, 01:31 PM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49
I'm not sure where 20,000 fans will sit, but London is used to playing in front of 9,000 and Ottawa seats just slightly more (I believe - Sec 17, can you confirm this?)
Was wondering the same thing myself. He's obviously thinking of the Corel Centre but they play their games at the Civic Center. Unless they are moving to the Corel Centre for the finals or something?

Tom

Old
04-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Bytown

There has been talk that games 4 and 6 would be at the cc.

Old
04-27-2005, 01:53 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
I hadn't heard that... nevertheless, I don't imagine playing in front of a few thousand more people (I'd be very surprised if the Corel Centre sold out for an OHL game) would throw any team off its game for more than a couple of minutes.

Old
04-27-2005, 02:12 PM
CraigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49
I hadn't heard that... nevertheless, I don't imagine playing in front of a few thousand more people (I'd be very surprised if the Corel Centre sold out for an OHL game) would throw any team off its game for more than a couple of minutes.
I think they already sold out the Corel Centre this year for a regular season game, so I would suspect you would have close to a sell out, especially if they were playing London.

Old
04-27-2005, 02:38 PM
cfrancis

Quote:

I kinda hope they do this because it would be easier to get tickets. It's hard to get tickets right now in the almost 9K Civic Centre. I imagine if they moved it to the Corel Centre they would be assured of 13K at least. But I don't know how the concessions and stuff work, lots of legal issues behined the scenes. But if there is a show on at the Civic Centre, they may have no choice.

Old
04-27-2005, 02:53 PM
bert

If they do move into the Corel Center I hope they dont play any afternoon games the 67's will sell out every evening game but usually get around 8000 for afternoon games.

I think if they did infact play London or Kitchener in the finals schedualing all the home games at night at the Corel Center would be a great idea. Im confident they would sell out and that would be one awesome sight for guys playing in Juniors.

I think Ottawa could beat Kitchener especially how mentally and physically worn Kitchener would be after haveing to take out the Knights.

I dont think that it would last any longer then 6 games if the 67's played London just to much offense on a what honestly is a weak D core.

Old
04-27-2005, 03:07 PM
The HW

If Kitchener wins (and if Ottawa advances, we don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves), the guaranteed ticket to the Memorial Cup is off. Either way it's fine by me, but I'd rather the guys play there than get a game or two in at the CC.

Old
04-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Roy G Biv*

Ottawa

Ottawa just scored in OT!! 16 yr old Jamie McGinn!

Wow: The unheralded Ottawa 67's have just swept the Petes.....

OHL FINAL: 67's vs. ?

Lets go London (so ott can be in the mem cup)

Old
04-27-2005, 09:56 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
Ottawa just scored in OT!! 16 yr old Jamie McGinn!

Wow: The unheralded Ottawa 67's have just swept the Petes.....

OHL FINAL: 67's vs. ?

Lets go London (so ott can be in the mem cup)
Unreal..... well done 67's! I guess Kilrea wanted to go back to the Memorial Cup!

Closed Thread