Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Tiebreakers?

Old
04-19-2013, 11:10 AM
fatschoonerrat

vCash: 500
Tiebreakers?

How do the tiebreakers pan out if we are tied in points with any of the teams we're chasing? Every season, I forget the various procedures for determining which team wins the tie. How do the tiebreakers work for or against us this year as we come down to the wire?

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
How do the tiebreakers pan out if we are tied in points with any of the teams we're chasing? Every season, I forget the various procedures for determining which team wins the tie. How do the tiebreakers work for or against us this year as we come down to the wire?

Quote:
* - Division leaders are seeded 1, 2, and 3 in Conference standings. If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:

• The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
  • The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
  • The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
  • The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-main

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Quote:

ROW comes into play most often. Whoever has more wins without going to a shootout. It was huge that the Jets scored in OT last night.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:28 AM
fatschoonerrat

So wins before records between teams? I could see us with the same number of wins vs. Washington. Looks like Washington wins the tiebreak no matter what.

I guess I can answer my own question a bit. So far this year:

vs. WSH (3-1 WSH, 1 game remaining)

WPG 4, WSH 2
WSH 3, WPG 0
WSH 4, WPG 0
WSH 6, WPG 1
WPG at WSH 4/23

vs. NYR (2-1 WPG, 0 games remaining, WPG owns head-to-head tiebreak)

WPG 4, NYR 3
NYR 1, WPG 3
WPG 2, NYR 4

vs. NYI (series tied 1-1, 1 game remaining)

NYI 4, WPG 5 (OT)
WPG 2, NYI 5
NYI at WPG 4/20

Ottawa owns a tiebreak 2 games to 1. We own the tiebreak with Toronto should it come to that 2 games to 1.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:

First thing this year is ROW, so all regulation wins + overtime wins (not shoot out). Right now we would theoretically win all tie breakers with the teams were chasing with ROW other than Washington IIRC.

If we end up tied with Washington and both our ROWs stay the same as they are now it goes onto the next means of tie breaking which would be points won against eachother. If I read the rules correctly there has to be an even number of home games to determine this. Since by the end of the year we'll have played them 3 times at home and 2 times in Washington, the first home game for us doesn't count. Therefore, if we win against them in our next game (in regulation) that would be 4 points won for us in Washington and 4 points won for them at MTS... which would be another tie. In which case it goes to goal +/- differential... in which case we're **** out of luck.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Washington and Winnipeg both have 21 ROWs and 4 games remaining.

If the Jets go 4-0-0 in regulation or overtime, they'll have 56 points and 25 ROWs.
If the Caps go 3-1-0 in regulation or overtime, they'll have 56 points and 24 ROWs.

So in that case the Jets win the ROW tiebreaker.
So if we do end up tying them AND don't get any more shootout wins in the next 4 games we'd have the tie breaker on ROW .

Last edited by Mathil8: 04-19-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Insight from Gm0ney
Mathil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:37 AM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathil8 View Post
If I read the rules correctly there has to be an even number of home games to determine this. Since by the end of the year we'll have played them 3 times at home and 2 times in Washington, the first home game for us doesn't count. Therefore, if we win against them in our next game (in regulation) that would be 4 points won for us in Washington and 4 points won for them at MTS... which would be another tie.
Wow, that is a weird one.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300

If the Jets go 4-0-0 in regulation or overtime, they'll have 56 points and 25 ROWs.
If the Caps go 3-1-0 in regulation or overtime, they'll have 56 points and 24 ROWs.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post

Oh snap! Totally looked over that. This makes me much happier

We so badly need to win our game against them. Unfortunately for us it's the second of a back-to-back, and they'll be well rested. One can hope though that with their loss last night the wheels will fall off and the horse shoes will fall out of their...

Mathil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:05 AM
AndersUlfBobby
All Systems Go

I'd like to take time to express my total hatred for 3 point games. They MUST end.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:29 AM
epo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSystemsGo View Post
I'd like to take time to express my total hatred for 3 point games. They MUST end.
Here are the points if every game is worth 2 points (although the results are influenced by the current system). Hate them a little more.
Team-GP-Points
Senators-43-46
Jets-44-46
Rangers-44-46
Capitals-44-45
Islanders-44-44

epo is offline   Reply With Quote