HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Hart Winner

View Poll Results: Hart Winner
Bobrovsky 30 11.95%
Crosby 109 43.43%
Kane 1 0.40%
Ovechkin 67 26.69%
Stamkos 1 0.40%
Tavares 31 12.35%
Toews 12 4.78%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-20-2013, 09:13 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

vCash: 500
Ovechkin.

04-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Marcus Halberstram*

It'll be great when Sid wins this and HF has a collective meltdown with all ******** posters on here.

Marcus Halberstram* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

I'm the rare Pens fan who really likes A.O, but if we are not choosing the best player (Crosby), then the MVP is probably Bob if the make it.... or Tavares. There is no way Ovechkin means more to to his team, and his supporting cast is clearly superior. Tavares is also pulling the Isles into the playoffs without playing the South Least 20 times. It IS an asterix on Ovechkin's season that the Caps are 10-15-2 against the two other divisions.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:59 AM
TieClark

There really isn't any choice other than Crosby. The argument that Pittsburgh is still good without him is irrelevant because the award isn't handed out like that and everyone knows it.

The argument that he hasn't played the games doesn't make sense because he's still going to finish in the league lead despite not playing the games. The lack of games can be used if he was on a pace but ended up falling back because he didn't play, but he's still leading so it doesn't work.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Penosity

Player most valuable to his team.

It should be either Bob or Tavares.

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:32 AM
dan1el

Gotta be Crosby. If he wins the Art Ross without playing another game and doesn't win, it would be a travesty. The fact that there is indeed a very real chance that it could happen should put him in the lead.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate Kesler View Post
Last time I checked the Penguins are 1st in the conference without him. Now tell me how "valuable" his contributions have been.
Really? First without him? So if he returns they are first with him?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate Kesler View Post
Last time I checked the Penguins are 1st in the conference without him. Now tell me how "valuable" his contributions have been.
You should check to see who the Pen's added right after Sid got hurt and who they've been playing.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
there's already a trophy given to the best player.
TBH, the Hart should be for top forward, there is no need for a MVP and a best player trophy.

Hart = Best Forward
Vezna = Best Goalie
Norris = Best Defenseman
Lindsey = Best Player

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16 99

vCash: 400
I would give it to Ovechkin. His team literally hinges on his play, when Ovi is lighting the lamp, the Crapitals are winning. If he is playing subpar, his team is in the basement.

Thus far, he has turned it "on" and his team has had success because of it. If Ovi wins the Richard, I'd say he wins the Hart too

Also, besides the fact that I don't like Crosby, I don't think someone should win MVP if they miss a quarter of the season

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

the very fans who think their guy should win the hart, even though he isn't the best player, will likely point to the hart trophy to prove that their guy is the best...if their guy wins.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:21 PM
blueowl2
Caniac

I picked Bob, but its even between him and Ovi

Without each respective players run, their teams would be nowhere near where they are.

If Columbus makes the playoffs I think Bob deserves it

The Pens are still doing well even without Crosby.

blueowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:24 PM
blueowl2
Caniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
Gotta be Crosby. If he wins the Art Ross without playing another game and doesn't win, it would be a travesty. The fact that there is indeed a very real chance that it could happen should put him in the lead.
Points shouldn't have anything to do with the Hart. I am 100% for Crosby getting the Lindsay trophy, but not the MVP. He hasn't battled with his team the whole way. (Not that its his fault).

Bob or Ovi IMO

Unless you have a 150 pt season, then I cant say anything lol

blueowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:49 PM
McNuts

Crosby is the most valuable player in the league.

And the Pens being strong even without him does not change that.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:10 PM
bdawg1989*

Why Crosby ?

Hart =/= Art Ross.

Crosby's been missing in action for like 10 games now. No way he wins it. Also, the Pens are still destroying everyone without him, Malkin, Neal, so OBVIOUSLY, this team is stacked as hell and doesnt need Crosby that much.

People really need to learn what the Hart means. A guy like Tavares is so MUCH more important to his team than Crosby to this stacked of rental IKEA-style team. Tavares AINEC. Rest of his team is garbage and he's carrying the Isles in the playoffs.

Watch hockey, please.

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:37 PM
nexguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by booser22 View Post
Points shouldn't have anything to do with the Hart. I am 100% for Crosby getting the Lindsay trophy, but not the MVP. He hasn't battled with his team the whole way. (Not that its his fault).

Bob or Ovi IMO

Unless you have a 150 pt season, then I cant say anything lol
Alex wasn't really battling with his team the whole way either.

nexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
The Inquisitor

Best Player = Crosby
Most Valuable = Bobrovsky

Homer vote for Sid though.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:15 PM
MastuhNinks

It's amazing how many people just ignore how the Hart trophy has been awarded throughout history.

Whether you like it or not, it is the 'best player' trophy. And it should be too. Whoever is the best player contributed the most to their team. This idea that Crosby should be penalized for playing on a good team is ridiculous and goes against how the Hart trophy has been awarded throughout the league's history.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post
Why Crosby ?

Hart =/= Art Ross.

Crosby's been missing in action for like 10 games now. No way he wins it. Also, the Pens are still destroying everyone without him, Malkin, Neal, so OBVIOUSLY, this team is stacked as hell and doesnt need Crosby that much.

People really need to learn what the Hart means. A guy like Tavares is so MUCH more important to his team than Crosby to this stacked of rental IKEA-style team. Tavares AINEC. Rest of his team is garbage and he's carrying the Isles in the playoffs.

Watch hockey, please.
Watch hockey, really? It sounds like you who doesn't if you really don't understand who wins the Hart generally.

The best player generally wins it and that's Crosby right now. How exactly did Gretzky or Lemieux win so many or in general why is the Hart winner history filled with the greatest players from the great teams instead of guys with strong seasons on mediocre teams?

I'd say those oilers teams of the 80s and pens in the early 90s were probably fairly talented so maybe you should watch hockey.

And that doesn't even account for the fact that the Pens are largely winning these games with new blood from the trade deadline and when they were playing their best and really separated from the pack, Sid was the driving force and they had less depth than at any other point this year.

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Fire Dumboer
FINALLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Kovalchuk is 95th in goals, 87th in assists, and 81st in points, with a 0.84 PPG average and a negative +/- rating. I see no reason why his name should even be in the conversation at all.
It isn't about stats it is the player that is most valuable to their team and they play much better with him in the line up.

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Oilers93

vCash: 421
Either Bobrovsky, Tavares or Ovechkin for me, Pittsburgh is still winning despite Crosby`s absence, Neither Kane nor Toews would even be the Blackhawks MVP this season for me (Crawford) and Stamkos is not going to the playoffs this season.

Ultimately went with Tavares.

Oilers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:44 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Crosby will win it, but Bob should. Tavares close second.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:54 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
I would give it to Ovechkin. His team literally hinges on his play, when Ovi is lighting the lamp, the Crapitals are winning. If he is playing subpar, his team is in the basement.

Thus far, he has turned it "on" and his team has had success because of it. If Ovi wins the Richard, I'd say he wins the Hart too
This doesn't really matter. This describes Taylor Hall almost exactly as well.

Crosby should take this if we're voting for the Hart how it has been awarded in the past, rather than the strictest definition of it (which is a rather stupid definition anyways).

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:55 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
It isn't about stats it is the player that is most valuable to their team and they play much better with him in the line up.
That doesn't matter in the true spirit of the trophy. If it did, the finalists would be

Kovalchuk
Hall
Ovechkin
Bobrovsky
Tavares

Hall and Kovalchuk should be nowhere near the conversation for the Hart at this point.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Wrath

I'd say the award is 75% best player, 25% most valuable.

Most seasons it's the forward with the best offensive performance, most of whom are on pretty strong (if not straight up stacked) teams (Sedin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Thornton Forsberg, Sakic).

Then there are the years where a non-forward wins it, or a "clutch" late season performance makes the Hart push (Perry most recently).

It does seem that voters value games played, Jagr lost a few Harts for missing games. If a player plays about half of a season no matter how dominant they basically cannot win (Mario in 00-01, Crosby in 10-11).

Crosby has 3/4 of the season so he's on the borderline, I'd say if the season ended today he has it, but today isn't a full season. His biggest threat is Ovechkin, whom, if he can keep up his recent "hot streak" pace until the end of the regular season could make a late season push ala Corey Perry.

Bobrovsky is the only other contender on the weight of the value to his team. If his team makes the playoffs, he has a fair chance, otherwise, no (just based on recent voting, non-playoff team=no hart).

So in a nutshell:

Sidney Crosby:
+Best offensive player
-"Borderline" too few games played

Ovechkin:
+Late season offensive push
-"Okay" first half of season, averages to slightly less impressive than Crosby

Bobrovsky:
+By far the most valuable to his team
-Not a forward (voting trends...)
-Might not make the playoffs

Wrath is online now   Reply With Quote