HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I agree somewhat with Tinordi. He's NHL ready, but we want him 20+ mins ready. Fistric IMO likely wont get to open market, he's an Edmonton native and he cost them a high end 3rd this year. He'll be resigned as they have the same need as us.

Sadly our best bet is to trade Weber for Peckham as two RFA Dmen who fill roles each team would need...but both are basically uproven/reclimation projects
He's playing "insulated" minutes and still looked bad on the Pageau goal in game 3(gave him like 20 feet of space past the blueline) and the soccer goal game 4(he was in between trying to stop the puck and let Zibanejad skate in all alone backside.

I'm not sure Peckham can play a regular shift on defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a UFA, he was a healthy scratch for 44 games and his tender is around 1.2-1.3 mil as a RFA. Weber again this year showed he can be a contributiong top 6 guy in the right situation. The problem with Weber here is he was in the mix with 5-6 other skill/PMD's, he needs to go to a team needing a PMD/PP guy. I think we can get as high as a 3rd for him, at worse a high 4th.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
I'd do either of those without thinking twice. It's very apparent what the problem is with this team, too much sizzle and not enough steak. This issue must be resolved int he off season if MB has any hopes of contending.
I think Philly won't trade Coburn. They may trade Couturier or Schenn for a top young skill d-man but not Coburn, unless you are overpaying.

Myers I think MB has no interest in his contract.

The issue gets resiolved when the young guys are ready.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Draft

Quote:
I don't think there are pants big enough to contain the size Balls it would take to do that. Gutting a team that won a division (during a losing streak no less). Besides. Scoring is not our issue, it's more to do with defence, specifically play without the puck in the neutral zone and the grit needed to retake posetion in the defensive zone to let our transition game take root.
Aha, as per Subban: "Bergevin's a pretty good lookin' guy but who knows what he's packing." Made most of the quote up but you catch my drift. There's also a chance that Kristo, Hudon or Collberg end up being that 1st line sniper type we want in 2-3 years. Tough to say though, not sure if any of them can be considered sure things or blue chip prospects.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He's playing "insulated" minutes and still looked bad on the Pageau goal in game 3(gave him like 20 feet of space past the blueline) and the soccer goal game 4(he was in between trying to stop the puck and let Zibanejad skate in all alone backside.

I'm not sure Peckham can play a regular shift on defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a UFA, he was a healthy scratch for 44 games and his tender is around 1.2-1.3 mil as a RFA. Weber again this year showed he can be a contributiong top 6 guy in the right situation. The problem with Weber here is he was in the mix with 5-6 other skill/PMD's, he needs to go to a team needing a PMD/PP guy. I think we can get as high as a 3rd for him, at worse a high 4th.

as I said Tinordi is NHL ready, 3rd pair/ 7th dman ready. we want him as that 2nd paring guy. so Hamilton to play a ton works.

Weber, I agree. He got lapped in his progression, but that doesn't mean he sucks either. Guaranteed there is a team out there with a glaring 3rd pair 2nd wave PP need out there that would trade for him

Peckham, he's just a cheap option as a #7-8 dman that can be taxied in for the more physical regular season games.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think Philly won't trade Coburn. They may trade Couturier or Schenn for a top young skill d-man but not Coburn, unless you are overpaying.

Myers I think MB has no interest in his contract.

The issue gets resiolved when the young guys are ready.
If we're willing to wait for it to be resolved with our young guys the team is still needing to be rebuilt. I guess that was kind of the plan anyway and this year came out of nowhere.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Aha, as per Subban: "Bergevin's a pretty good lookin' guy but who knows what he's packing." Made most of the quote up but you catch my drift. There's also a chance that Kristo, Hudon or Collberg end up being that 1st line sniper type we want in 2-3 years. Tough to say though, not sure if any of them can be considered sure things or blue chip prospects.
I sure hope Subban didn't look at MB's watch while in the john.

Collberg....maybe, an outside chance. But their top end potential is likely 2nd line wingers. And none will be ready for some time.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Habsawce

The team needs a big #2 defenseman a stay at home #6 and a top 3 RW to contend IMO.

That's still a feat to accomplish in one off season unfortunately.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
as I said Tinordi is NHL ready, 3rd pair/ 7th dman ready. we want him as that 2nd paring guy. so Hamilton to play a ton works.

Weber, I agree. He got lapped in his progression, but that doesn't mean he sucks either. Guaranteed there is a team out there with a glaring 3rd pair 2nd wave PP need out there that would trade for him

Peckham, he's just a cheap option as a #7-8 dman that can be taxied in for the more physical regular season games.
I have no problem going after Peckham as a reclamation project as a #7-8 guy to battle for a spot in the 23 man roster or go to Hamilton. If I was GM I'd like to know more about why he was sitting, what is his attitude/character and can he be better if he loses 7-10lbs maybe? He's lised at 6'2" 234lbs...maybe he got too big and can no longer follow the play.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:15 PM
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE

Quote:
Martinez had excellent playoffs.

Chicago had Keith and Campbell plus Seabrook who is good both ways and had 11 points those playoffs.

Boston is the only team in recent memory that had mostly stay at home d-men. If you look at other post lock out cup winners they had a lot of blueline skill.

Pittsburgh had Letang Goligoski(inj) Gonchar

Detroit had Lidstrom Raflaski Kronwall
Pittsburgh didn't even have Letang as a regular at this point
Seabrook is not more of a PMD than Emelin.
Martinez didn't play such a major role in the Kings run

so you have:
Pittsburgh with Gonchar and Letang playing limited minutes
Chicago with Campbell and Keith
Boston with Kaberle and Seidenberg at some extent
and LA with Doughty and Voynov as real puck-moving Ds, and Martinez playing a limited role

How is Subban, Markov and Diaz a game here and there not having enough PMDs exactly?

We need size and stay-at-homes. Not any more puck-moving who can't play defense.

Old
05-08-2013, 02:32 PM
HCH

Quote:
The team needs a big #2 defenseman a stay at home #6 and a top 3 RW to contend IMO.

I agree completely... it is exactly what they need. Who are the candidates among free agents, who are candidates that we could possibly acquire in a trade and who are the casualties from the current roster.

Old
05-08-2013, 02:59 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Pittsburgh didn't even have Letang as a regular at this point
Seabrook is not more of a PMD than Emelin.
Martinez didn't play such a major role in the Kings run

so you have:
Pittsburgh with Gonchar and Letang playing limited minutes
Chicago with Campbell and Keith
Boston with Kaberle and Seidenberg at some extent
and LA with Doughty and Voynov as real puck-moving Ds, and Martinez playing a limited role

How is Subban, Markov and Diaz a game here and there not having enough PMDs exactly?

We need size and stay-at-homes. Not any more puck-moving who can't play defense.
Exactly, the Habs still have two really good PMD in the system in Nathan Beaulieu and Mac Bennett. I assume those two will replace Markov and Diaz when they are ready for the show. What the Habs need is like you say Big stay at home defencemen, Tinordi is still learning but has come along very well. IMHO the Habs should draft Samuel Morin and Johnathan Diaby, these two Dmen when ready, would give the Habs three behemoth defencemen. The three pairings the Habs play in the future, would have a capable PMD and a huge physical dman that has good skating, great reach, can clear the crease and make the breakout passes necessary. All three IMO will have a little offence in their games and with experience should bring the ability to be great PK's as well. Nothing but good can come from drafting Morin and Diaby for the Habs future defence.
Another area of concern is having a few forwards with size, skating, offence and physicality. Almost every team in the NHL have players that can impose their will on opponents, power forwards that stand up for teammates and insure that nobody takes liberties with them. IMO their are three players that bring all those traits in the 2013 draft. They are John Hayden, Mike McCarron and Tyler Hill, Hill is a great athlete and excels in Lacrosse, the eye/hand coordination he has is off the charts. Tyler stands 6'6" and weighs in at 225 lbs. and plays LW. Hayden has played center for the USNTDP with McCarron and both have been integral players, they too play a hard physical game and create offence as well as a two-way game. Hayden stands 6'3" and 210 lbs. and McCarron stands 6'5" and 230 lbs. When they finish their college careers will need some time in the AHL to get used to the speed of the pro game and learn the Habs system. These three players along with a great defence should be all the Habs need to (add to the very talented forwards they have drafted the last few years) make them a serious contender for the SC each year.

Old
05-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Draft

Well, there's a very strong possibility that Gionta misses part of next year's season or even potentially retires (just speculating). Losing both him and Ryder could have a huge impact on our team's offence next year. Will Kristo be ready? Will we sign someone with similar offensive skills to play in their spot? Who has ideas?

Not looking for "sign Clowe, Clarkson, Bordeleau, Stalberg, Horton and Bickell, we'll win with that lineup"

Old
05-08-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Well, there's a very strong possibility that Gionta misses part of next year's season or even potentially retires (just speculating). Losing both him and Ryder could have a huge impact on our team's offence next year. Will Kristo be ready? Will we sign someone with similar offensive skills to play in their spot? Who has ideas?

Not looking for "sign Clowe, Clarkson, Bordeleau, Stalberg, Horton and Bickell, we'll win with that lineup"
Give up the love for Ryder already. A fire hydrant can score the goals he does. FA's or trades will bring in some players that actually compete not named Ryder, Cammallerri...ect

Old
05-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
Give up the love for Ryder already. A fire hydrant can score the goals he does. FA's or trades will bring in some players that actually compete not named Ryder, Cammallerri...ect
I think you're confusing me with someone else, I don't like Ryder. My post even features him not returning next year. He brings offence and scores goals, like most, I absolutely hate his style of play when he doesn't have the puck. I did make a post suggesting a trade around Desharnais for Cammalleri. I think just about anyone would rather have Cammy than DD. I'm asking how we replace two of our top goalscorers as it's unlikely they'll be here next year.

Old
05-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Habsawce

Quote:

Doesn't matter who we have up front if the defensemen cannot win a puck battle in their own zone and keep getting plastered on the end boards.

Right now the biggest need on this team is to find a spot for DD where he cannot hurt this team with his poor board work and defensive game and shore up the back end. Think about how much better Price can be if teams don't have the ability to just walk into the zone and take screened wrist shots from 30 feet out and don't have 3-4 wacks at the puck on rebounds.

Old
05-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
I think you're confusing me with someone else, I don't like Ryder. My post even features him not returning next year. He brings offence and scores goals, like most, I absolutely hate his style of play when he doesn't have the puck. I did make a post suggesting a trade around Desharnais for Cammalleri. I think just about anyone would rather have Cammy than DD. I'm asking how we replace two of our top goalscorers as it's unlikely they'll be here next year.
Galchenyuk and Gallagher with increased roles can replace the goal scoring of Gionta and Ryder. Also think about Eller's progression this year which will also increase the offense.

They are going to have to continue to score by committee until they can get a bonified star to play RW on the top line but there is enough talent there to do it.

Old
05-08-2013, 04:08 PM
AntonCH

Quote:

And there it is in a nutshell
fill those roles properly and this is a much different team

Old
05-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
And there it is in a nutshell
fill those roles properly and this is a much different team
How funny would it be if we signed Kessel after next year? He would really fit in nicely with Pacioretty and Galchenyuk on the top line, would be a scary fast line.

Old
05-08-2013, 04:25 PM
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE

Our core doesn't need any tweaking. Our captain cried. We can't trade him now.

Old
05-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Draft

Quote:
Galchenyuk and Gallagher with increased roles can replace the goal scoring of Gionta and Ryder. Also think about Eller's progression this year which will also increase the offense.

They are going to have to continue to score by committee until they can get a bonified star to play RW on the top line but there is enough talent there to do it.
And if there were sophomore slumps or concussion problems? Obviously worst case scenarios. Are Galchenyuk and Eller capable of playing non-protected minutes and taking on top-6 responsibilities? Considering the only consensus 1st liner is Pacioretty and potentially Plekanec... Things don't look good. Two current top-6 wingers gone, there's no way we don't see repercussions next year. They accounted for just over 16% of the goals scored this year and most of the play against top lines. We've got to replace it somehow. I think the time is now to move Desharnais for some help on the wings. Desharnais +++ for Perron

Pacioretty-Plekanec-XXXX
Bourque-Eller-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Desharnais-XXXX

Old
05-08-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
And if there were sophomore slumps or concussion problems? Obviously worst case scenarios. Are Galchenyuk and Eller capable of playing non-protected minutes and taking on top-6 responsibilities? Considering the only consensus 1st liner is Pacioretty and potentially Plekanec... Things don't look good. Two current top-6 wingers gone, there's no way we don't see repercussions next year. They accounted for just over 16% of the goals scored this year and most of the play against top lines. We've got to replace it somehow. I think the time is now to move Desharnais for some help on the wings. Desharnais +++ for Perron

Pacioretty-Plekanec-XXXX
Bourque-Eller-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Desharnais-XXXX
No, especially if we are stuck with DD. Need two big wingers who can skate and take care of business. The skilled guys will score if protected and we wil have a more playoff ready team. Ryder and Cammy can score in the regular season but the playoffs are nuts now. Hooking, holding, interference, phoney goals, you name it. Let's see what MB is made of. He played so he knows what we need to compete.

Old
05-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
No, especially if we are stuck with DD. Need two big wingers who can skate and take care of business. The skilled guys will score if protected and we wil have a more playoff ready team. Ryder and Cammy can score in the regular season but the playoffs are nuts now. Hooking, holding, interference, phoney goals, you name it. Let's see what MB is made of. He played so he knows what we need to compete.
Three things.

1. Suggested we trade Desharnais for help on wings. What's he worth in a package? Where to?
2. Cammalleri is a proven playoff performer. There's no real way around that. Playoffs are always nuts and he's produced.
3. Gainey was also a (much better) hockey player. Apparently that doesn't mean much.

Old
05-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Draft

Also, according to the big board:

Tampa 2nd

for

Clutterbuck + 3rd/4th

Is an acceptable trade. I would jump all over this.

Old
05-08-2013, 05:48 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Like I said in the other thread, as long as we have guys like Diaz, Gorges and Gionta playing major roles on this team, the kind of breakdowns that happened yesterday will keep happening. These are passive players. We can't keep playing passive with the kind of team we have. We need size and muscle if we want to be able to sit back and neutralize the other team's chances.

That being said, that series is constructive in the sense it gives our direction a clear idea of what's needed to get more success from now on. That, and Galchenyuk is proving he's ready to become a main actor in the success of this team. He's so good it's not even funny. Probably our best player in this series.

For next season, the plan:

- Trade Gionta, let Ryder leave
- Trade Gorges
- Let Armstrong, Halpern leave
- Give Raffi Torres a 1.5M/per contract to play on the 4th line
- Give Ryane Clowe a 4.25M/per contract to play on our top-6
- Give Douglas Murray a short-term, 3M/per contract
- Buyout Kaberle

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher (Pacioretty with his usual 65 points, Galchenyuk will step up to be a 55+ points player next year, Gallagher 50 points too)
Bourque - Plekanec - Clowe (Bourque and Pleks are good for 50 points+, Clowe for 40+)
Prust - Eller - Desharnais (Prust 20 points, Eller 35 points, Desharnais 40 points)
Moen - White - Torres (Torres is a good grinder capable of playing good hockey)

Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Subban
Bouillon - Murray
Diaz

Price
Budaj

On the PP, you put:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Markov - Subban

Bourque - Plekanec - Clowe/Eller
Diaz/Emelin - Subban

You have some major grit with:
Clowe
Prust
Moen
White
Torres
Murray
Emelin
Tinordi

You have some pure skills with:
Galchenyuk
Eller
Plekanec
Desharnais

You have some scorers in:
Bourque
Pacioretty
Gallagher

You have a D with good skills (Markov, Subban), good grit (Bouillon, Emelin, Murray, Tinordi), good size (Emelin, Murray, Tinordi), and in the case where a game like last Sunday happens, you're not afraid of anybody.

I mean, how great would it have been?

Kassian vs Clowe
Neil vs Prust
Smith vs Moen
Cowen vs Murray
Phillips vs Tinordi

And then, you got guys like White, Torres, Emelin, Bouillon and Bourque still running around and hitting everything in sight without anybody doing anything about that.

Boston wants to play it tough?
Lucic vs Clowe
Thornton vs Murray
Campbell vs Prust
McQuaid vs Moen
Ference vs Tinordi

then, you got some guys like Bouillon, White and Torres to take care of the rest.

And most importantly, all of those guys can play solid hockey.
Great lineup. We have the skill in Montreal to score goals. We just need a little more beef in our lineup.

Throw in a cheap $600 thousand a year goon to sit in the Pressbox all season except for the Toronto, Boston and Ottawa games.

Clowe is not going to have another season like he had this year. No way. And Murray has been playing very solid and strong D for the Pens in the playoffs. He still has a couple of good seasons left in him.

Old
05-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Clarkson and Horton please

Closed Thread