HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Kudos to AHL for getting radical with fighting, shootouts

Old
07-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

vCash: 500
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ku...ing-shootouts/

Quote:
Sometimes change trickles up and other times, it trickles down. In the case of the rule changes recently adopted by the American League, it will be interesting to see whether or not those holding the levers of the NHL take notice.

At its board of governors meetings this week, the AHL passed what can only be described as radical rule alterations. And I use the term “radical” keeping in mind that significant change sometimes moves at a glacial pace in this sport. But give the AHL credit. It made positive moves on two of the most controversial, debated and polarizing issues facing the game today: fighting and shootouts.

What makes it refreshing is these rule changes were conceived and approved by “hockey guys” who are every bit as passionate about the game as their NHL brethren. In fact, the AHL’s competition and player development committees are filled with assistant GMs who are on the path to NHL upper management.
The current writers at The Hockey News dream about a day where the NHL is like figure skating with sticks.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 07-13-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Disengage

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 04:09 PM
Rumblick

I don't believe for a split instant that these rules were, if not mandated, then at very least heavily suggested, by the NHL powers-that-be. Andrews doesn't use the washroom without checking with someone first.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
I don't believe for a split instant that these rules were, if not mandated, then at very least heavily suggested, by the NHL powers-that-be. Andrews doesn't use the washroom without checking with someone first.
Look at a list of who the AHL's Governors are. Notice what their "regular" jobs are. You have your answer.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 09:56 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Biggs View Post
The current writers at The Hockey News dream about a day where the NHL is like figure skating with sticks.
What? THN is still in business? I let my subscription expire after they picked my favorite team to come in 13th in their conference. Instead, they won the regular season and the Calder Cup titles. Pretty good for a cellar dweller. Idiots they are!

I agree with you Tyler. They print the news that fits their agenda. It would be better to print informed opinion or even the truth! Is that too much to ask?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

I'm sure Proteau will write an article about how mean and insensitive hitting is soon enough.

Old
07-13-2014, 06:34 PM
RFA

I wrote in my other post it would be a year before the media mentioned this. I never would have guessed it would be a day. What a joke.

No one goes to an AHL game to see no fights. Even the jerks who complain about the fighting would rather see a couple to give themselves something to whine about.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Jackets Woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post
I wrote in my other post it would be a year before the media mentioned this. I never would have guessed it would be a day. What a joke.

No one goes to an AHL game to see no fights. Even the jerks who complain about the fighting would rather see a couple to give themselves something to whine about.
I am not against fighting (and would in fact be against banning fighting), but I have no problem going to a game (and I mostly attend AHL games) and not seeing a fight.

Jackets Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 03:40 PM
RFA

But you're not going hoping not to see one. That was my point.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 04:52 AM
duckfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post
But you're not going hoping not to see one. That was my point.
im not not licking toads

duckfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Screw Hockey News and the AHL. You don't want fighting, watch women's hockey.

Old
07-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Newfy IceCapd

vCash: 50
And we take one more step to becoming the world cup with skates. Brutal.

Newfy IceCapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Rumblick

JMHO - I don't think this will eliminate fighting so much as it will the early-game "staged" fights. You can't really take the chance on it if there's a possibility you'll need to actually respond to a situation later.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 10:07 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Biggs View Post
I'm sure Proteau will write an article about how mean and insensitive hitting is soon enough.
Weak, hyperbolic arguments like this never win. It is the same lame ass argmuentation stlye that opponents of marriage equality use. "What's next? Marrying goats?"

It is the weak ass "gateway drug" argument.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 07:19 PM
fourstringninja

I actually like it. It will cut down on the Bobby Shea type spectacles that occurred last year.

If the AHL is a developmental league, then why "develop" players in a role that no longer works at the NHL level?

fourstringninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2014, 06:55 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Weak, hyperbolic arguments like this never win. It is the same lame ass argmuentation stlye that opponents of marriage equality use. "What's next? Marrying goats?":shakehead

It is the weak ass "gateway drug" argument.
Is that why those goats are screaming?

I never expect to see a fight at a hockey game.

Some that occur are gravy.

Some players should get tossed for "fights" that resemble square dancing. I am totally against staged fights.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Is that why those goats are screaming?

I never expect to see a fight at a hockey game.

Some that occur are gravy.

Some players should get tossed for "fights" that resemble square dancing. I am totally against staged fights.
As am I re the fights. The whole "you hit my skilled guy so my enforcer will fight your enforcer is crap. If someone hits the guy, you hit him instead of staging the enforcer battle. I remember one time Scott Pearson was on the ice when a guy crushed Steve Larouche. Pearson checked him into the boards and then a fight broke out. Guess what? There was no retaliation against Pearson or anyone on the Wolves.

I remember another time that Brett Sterling cheap shot Jamie Lundmark and Lundmark got a penalty when he gave him a slash back. Sterling then gave him a shove and a face wash (no call). Lundmark the whole time in the box was just jawing and gesturing to Sterling and this was towards the end of the game. With less than a minute left in the game Lundmark got out of the box and chased down Sterling and just beat the hell out of him. That is what I go to see. The passion fights.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote