HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part Six(66): The Number of the Beast

Old
07-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

vCash: 500
Got just enough residual hate-on for the Devils that my initial reaction was "haha". Not very nice of me is it.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Caniac125330

So in the past year, the Devils have lost Parise, Clarkson, and Kovalchuk, won't have a 1st next year, and are in big financial trouble. I'll look forward to hearing the reasoning the next time one of their fans calls us a garbage franchise.

Caniac125330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline

Eh, I'm going to lay off the Devils for now. The hockey gods love to karmaslap hockey fans, so taking pleasure in their misery is just asking for a New Jersey divisional title next year.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Sens1Canes2

Nope, nothing to see here, Russians are extremely predictable and we should draft them exclusively.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
aho

vCash: 50
Nah, not gonna hate either. I've never really hated the Devils as much as others, and in fact I really respect Lamoriello.

Don't really care how the Devils do from year-to-year, but I definitely feel pretty bad for them today.

The only kicks I'm getting out of the news today is that Kovy won't be in our division next year.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

Most devils fans are extremely annoying here on hfboards, but I feel bad for them today.

I don't think I will still feel bad for them next summer when their team will most likely be forfeiting their top 10 pick.

Identity404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity404 View Post
Most devils fans are extremely annoying here on hfboards, but I feel bad for them today.

I don't think I will still feel bad for them next summer when their team will most likely be forfeiting their top 10 pick.
They should have forfeit last years.

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:00 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

vCash: 1365
Uh, wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
LOL.

This is great. (until Semin retires tomorrow)

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:28 PM
bleedgreen

The main board has lost it's mind. Lou and his ego should retire for making the worst decision in the history of the NHL. What a bunch of drama queens.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:38 AM
rocky7
DAT 13

vCash: 1400
so parise chose to go to the wild and alfredsson to detroit. now kovalchuk back home to russia. noone knows why and to say he went for the coin is just ignorant of the possibilities. the organization knew it was coming. he may simply have decided to go home (perhaps conditions in russia are just fine now for some), family considerations and his children, culture, perhaps less likely to be significantly injured, yes he can likely live like a king and play in the khl. so what?

we are constantly reminded that sports are a business. he made the choice for himself and his family. HE DOESN'T OWE ANYONE ANYTHING. now most are calling him a traitor and worse. i get it, but if people get so affected by these kinds of things it's time to get a life. i also get the herd mentality of posting the *******, *****, **** over and over but really, "sports fans" .

edit: if it were anyone of us and we were financially set, if it were robert poisson from the pas or, bill berger from montana, and one was to choose to retire and enjoy their family, etc., all the power to them. you only go around once. personal choice. he's russian and to most that makes a difference.

Last edited by rocky7: 07-12-2013 at 08:54 AM.
rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 08:59 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky7 View Post
the herd mentality of posting the *******, *****, **** over and over but really, "sports fans" .
Who or what is this in reply to? You're awfully upset at something that is outside of this forum, it seems.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:05 AM
rocky7
DAT 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Who or what is this in reply to? You're awfully upset at something that is outside of this forum, it seems.
not upset at all geehaad. i get a kick out of some loving to throw out the *****'s whenever they can. i guess i should have used a instead. referring to the devils board in this case.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Eh, I'm going to lay off the Devils for now. The hockey gods love to karmaslap hockey fans, so taking pleasure in their misery is just asking for a New Jersey divisional title next year.
If "karma" really existed for sports fans, I've got enough saved up for all of my favorite teams to win championships for the next 3 or 4 years and a plenty extra to waste on petty barbs on rival teams. So don't sweat it.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Sens1Canes2

I would say that Kovalchuk owes the Devils his services for the duration of his contract, wouldn't you, rocky7? That's what a contract is. In that sense, Kovalchuk is being a ******.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:27 AM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Kovalchuk wants to go home and be with his family. Because he is 30 and healthy does not mean he forfeits that option. It's not as if he's still getting paid or even asking to be paid. He's leaving a LOT of money on the table to do this. Further, Lou has known for over a year that this was something he was seriously considering, and I have to think he's prepared as best he could. There is nothing wrong with this from Kovalchuk's perspective. He is not an indentured servant. He's an employee.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:33 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
I would say that Kovalchuk owes the Devils his services for the duration of his contract, wouldn't you, rocky7? That's what a contract is. In that sense, Kovalchuk is being a ******.
If he's outright retiring from hockey, I don't necessarily agree with you on this. It's his choice to not play again, and to turn his back on the money that was owed him via that contract.

Now when he goes out and signs with SKA inevitably... yeah... right there with you. Dude will have been on contract with the Devils, "retired" from the NHL, and proceeded to sign elsewhere. At the least it should be a barring from International competition if he does that, which means the next Olympics.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Kovalchuk wants to go home and be with his family. Because he is 30 and healthy does not mean he forfeits that option. It's not as if he's still getting paid or even asking to be paid. He's leaving a LOT of money on the table to do this. Further, Lou has known for over a year that this was something he was seriously considering, and I have to think he's prepared as best he could. There is nothing wrong with this from Kovalchuk's perspective. He is not an indentured servant. He's an employee.
Pretty much agree with this. As long as the team is not stuck paying his contract, then he's done nothing wrong. If anybody here really wanted to walk into their job and quit right now, they'd be free to do so. There's really no difference here. Kovalchuk's contract only retains him against providing services to other NHL teams.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Way I see it is,when you sign a contract you're giving your word and should be expected to fulfill your end of the bargain. Its called being a man. Why on earth did he sign such a long deal?

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Guy

I don't have a problem with this at all. If he didn't want to be here anymore it's his right to retire and move on, it's not like he's going to get paid the rest of that contract. Even if he would have waited until a more "reasonable" 35 or so to retire, there would still be several years left on this ridiculous contract. He gets to go home, the Devils don't have to pay him for the next 10+ years, and the only thing left is a meager 250k cap penalty for awhile to the Devils which is a nice reminder of how dumb it was to give him that contract in the first place.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
If he's outright retiring from hockey, I don't necessarily agree with you on this. It's his choice to not play again, and to turn his back on the money that was owed him via that contract.

Now when he goes out and signs with SKA inevitably... yeah... right there with you. Dude will have been on contract with the Devils, "retired" from the NHL, and proceeded to sign elsewhere. At the least it should be a barring from International competition if he does that, which means the next Olympics.
Right, which is exactly where I stand. Retire, fine. Retire from the NHL and play in the KHL, negative. There has to be some repercussions.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:53 AM
rocky7
DAT 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
good post and mature perspective. sometimes we forget that there are many kids that post on these boards. it's obvious really. kovy has made a choice for his family and himself like we all do. again, he doesn't owe anyone anything. 30 years old, worked hard and provided a good life for his family. good for him.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Right, which is exactly where I stand. Retire, fine. Retire from the NHL and play in the KHL, negative. There has to be some repercussions.
I don't recall any such hand-wringing in the early 90's when Russian players were leaving there to come here. As a matter of fact those players were all considered "oppressed" by the ruling authority who wouldn't allow them to leave for so long.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
I don't recall any such hand-wringing in the early 90's when Russian players were leaving there to come here. As a matter of fact those players were all considered "oppressed" by the ruling authority who wouldn't allow them to leave for so long.
You don't see a difference between someone who had no say in their ability to leave (in the 90s), vs. someone who voluntarily signed a contract to play in the NHL (Kovy)?

Boom Boom Aho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:04 AM
rocky7
DAT 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

why? he is a free man. he did absolutely nothing wrong and can do whatever he wants. why is an athlete beholden to fans? this is real life not fandom fantasy.

Old
07-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
Like BBA posted, apples and oranges.