HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part Six(66): The Number of the Beast

Old
09-23-2013, 09:04 AM
GhostofS16*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Apparently not many people around here remember mark messier. That guy thought his stick was an axe.
I used to be amazed by the kind of stuff Messier would do and get away with. One moment that sticks out to me is game back in the 93-94 season against Winnipeg, he elbows Igor Ulanov on the boards then jumped him for no apparent reason. Both players got 2 for roughing but Messier clearly threw multiple punches. Actually, that was my first and lasting impression of Mark Messier.

GhostofS16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 09:23 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Didn't the Leafs have last change? Actually, regardless of who did, Carlyle (of all coaches) should know what's coming...
Carlyle said he specifically put Kessel out there to defuse the situation. He gave Scott a bit too much credit for being something other than a paid hit man.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 09:28 AM
wallym

Nobody else think Scott was told to go out and beat up whoever was across from him? The Buffalo headcoach seems to be getting off easy, when it seems likely they were the orchestrator of the nonsense.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 09:57 AM
rocky7
DAT 13

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
Nobody else think Scott was told to go out and beat up whoever was across from him? The Buffalo headcoach seems to be getting off easy, when it seems likely they were the orchestrator of the nonsense.
when they start to fine (not $1500.00) coaches and teams for the behavior of their players (whom are directly responsible), neanderthals like Scott will become extinct.

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Surrounded By Ahos
Keep firing, Ahos!

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It's not kosher as far as being an obvious match penalty, true. I mean, he actually went and retrieved his gloves and stick, then re-entered the fight to get that shot at Scott. I wish they had caught that on an iso camera.

That said, what Kessel did wasn't particularly dangerous in and of itself. If he really wanted to hurt Scott in that situation, he could have done it pretty easily.
Somebody on the main board found a gif of it. I love how Scott starts squirming after Kessel taps him

Surrounded By Ahos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Carlyle said he specifically put Kessel out there to defuse the situation. He gave Scott a bit too much credit for being something other than a paid hit man.
He's obviously an idiot, then. Has he seen Scott play? I mean, Carlyle had George ****ing Parros play a regular shift for him for years. Who's out there makes no difference when it's a retaliation against what had happened earlier - as I understand it, a Leafs heavyweight grabbed a Sabres lightweight and beat the **** out of him for the reason of just because.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:08 AM
rocky7
DAT 13

yeah, that really looks like it hurt. Kessel should be skating next game. if not, that will be one of the jokes that come away from all this.

Old
09-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Mr America

Quote:
He's obviously an idiot, then. Has he seen Scott play? I mean, Carlyle had George ****ing Parros play a regular shift for him for years. Who's out there makes no difference when it's a retaliation against what had happened earlier - as I understand it, a Leafs heavyweight grabbed a Sabres lightweight and beat the **** out of him for the reason of just because.
That was a pretty mutual fight. Tropp wanted it even. I think Scott's problem was the forearm at the end as they crashed to the ice?

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Mr America

Might as well post this up as well

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky7 View Post
yeah, that really looks like it hurt. Kessel should be skating next game. if not, that will be one of the jokes that come away from all this.
Kessel two handed Scott, from behind, on the ankles, *as he was engaged with two other Leafs.*

Kessel should get something.

Old
09-23-2013, 10:31 AM
geehaad

Holy ****...Mike Zigomanis is still playing hockey.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:32 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Who in their right mind would expect even a thug like Scott to grab Phil ****ing Kessel and start throwing? I mean of all people in the entire league, Kessel is the most milquetoast, non-confrontational, un-gritty guy that there is. I'm pretty sure the message Carlyle sent was "you can put your goons out if you want, but we're going to keep playing hockey". And Scott's reaction to that (which is really Rolston's vicarious reaction) is to just attack a non-combatant out of the blue. That's LNAH-style nonsense.

And no, this wasn't in retaliation for some kind of legitimate gripe. A Sabre lost his fight straight-up and hit his head on the ice. Tough luck for him, but that's not something that precipitates an attack on a non-fighting star.

The Sabres took the moral low ground and got humiliated.

Old
09-23-2013, 10:33 AM
rocky7
DAT 13

clear parallels to WWF complete with screaming, intoxicated, incoherent fans, giggling play-by-play announcers and grim looking coaches. all for the unheard-of once-in-a-lifetime admission price of $220.00/seat.

Kessel got a couple nice goals. anyone have vid of them?

Old
09-23-2013, 10:37 AM
FlyingSquirrels

The Sabres also got the new shiny toy Leaf suspended probably for 10 games. I wouldn't say they got humiliated at all. This cost the Leafs far more than the Sabres.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:40 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrels View Post
The Sabres also got the new shiny toy Leaf suspended probably for 10 games. [B]I wouldn't say they got humiliated at all.[b] This cost the Leafs far more than the Sabres.
I'd be interested to know what it would take to humiliate a team other than Phil Kessel tuning someone up, Ryan Miller getting whipped in what will be a YouTube classic, a rookie getting knocked unconscious and John Scott being made to look like a WWE reject. And losing the game to boot.

What else needs to happen here? Maybe they could have been wearing their third jerseys.

Old
09-23-2013, 10:43 AM
FlyingSquirrels

I agree with all that but most will be forgotten with a day or 2 passing. Clarkson will be lost for 1/8 of the season.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
I'd be interested to know what it would take to humiliate a team other than Phil Kessel tuning someone up, Ryan Miller getting whipped in what will be a YouTube classic, a rookie getting knocked unconscious and John Scott being made to look like a WWE reject. And losing the game to boot.

What else needs to happen here? Maybe they could have been wearing their third jerseys.
But everyone already knew the Sabres were a joke, so it didnt really cost them much. The Leafs lost the only 10 games Clarkson is usually effective. Maybe he'll score all his goals in team games 11-20 this year.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 10:49 AM
rocky7
DAT 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrels View Post
The Sabres also got the new shiny toy Leaf suspended probably for 10 games. I wouldn't say they got humiliated at all. This cost the Leafs far more than the Sabres.
and...............therein lies a problem. everyone involved should be embarrased. well....not Scott I suppose.

this is another blackeye for the league that will be talked about for some time to come. rule changes will result.

Old
09-23-2013, 10:50 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Clarkson had little to no effect on that brawl. He simply did something stupid and thoughtless that will cost him and the Leafs in the long run.

That doesn't equate to some kind of win for the Sabres. It's not as though they were aiming to get Clarkson suspended; they were aiming to pummel Kessel and ended up watching Kessel beat the crap out of their own guy.

Old
09-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Sens1Canes2

If Tropp fought willingly, my info was wrong. My bad.

Now I am hearing that Scott was already out on the ice on a shift, which doesn't excuse him attempting to beat down Kessel, but it absolves Rolston. He didn't "send out the goon." He was already out there.

Still, I maintain that Carlyle is being deliberately obtuse. HE is the goon-it-up coach, and yet he doesn't acknowledge the risk he took. And now Clarkson will be gone and maybe Kessel.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:00 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Scott started trying to throw haymakers at Kessel before the puck was even dropped.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:02 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofS16 View Post
I used to be amazed by the kind of stuff Messier would do and get away with. One moment that sticks out to me is game back in the 93-94 season against Winnipeg, he elbows Igor Ulanov on the boards then jumped him for no apparent reason. Both players got 2 for roughing but Messier clearly threw multiple punches. Actually, that was my first and lasting impression of Mark Messier.
I have two memories. Growing up in ct we had msg as part of our basic cable so I watched a ton of rangers games. Number one was when he ruined the career of Dave Roberts, who he cross checked in the face when messier was slow on a puck behind his own net. Roberts was just forechecking and went to hit messier, got a broken face for his trouble. Not sure that he ever played again, messier didnt even get kicked out of the game. He just skates around with that innocent look on his face.

The same look he has on his face in the famous Modano dropped on the stretcher incident. The elbow he threw on Modano was absolutely intentional and by today's terms predatory. Again, "what'd I do?" Guy would've gotten away with murder.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Sens1Canes2

I remember him pasting an elbow into either Jamie Macoun or Ric Nattress' nose when he was in Edmonton. The defenseman was just pinching in and going to lay a body on Messier, and Messier just stuck his elbow up in the air, kind of a "how dare you attempt to hit me." Whoever it was, Macoun or Nattress, was half-conscious as they skated to the bench, legs wobbly. I'll never forget that.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

I remember the Modano one, that was brutal. If I recall, it was similar to the Cooke hit on Savard. Messier would be viewed as a dirty player these days, no doubt.

Boom Boom Aho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:19 PM
bleedgreen

And the commentators laughing... "Thats what you get when you hit messier!".

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote