HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Team Canada - 2013 IIHF U18 Tournament

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2013, 10:23 PM
  #1
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 500
Team Canada - 2013 IIHF U18 Tournament

This tournament takes place next month in Sochi, Russia. The tournament this year is for 1995 born players or younger. As usual, Canada will send a team, largely made up of players that didn't make the CHL playoffs with their club teams. Late additions will be made from teams that lose in the first round. Any thoughts on who will be the early selections?

Here are some players that we can expect to see playing for Team Canada from non playoff CHL teams;

F - Jackson Houck - Vancouver Giants WHL
F - Morgan Klimchuk - Regina Pats WHL
F - Connor McDavic - Erie Otters OHL(1997 born, not in favor of bringing him)
F - Stephen Harper - Erie Otters OHL
F - Nick Ritchie - Peterborough Petes OHL

G - Justin Paulic - Moose Jaw Warriors WHL

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:03 PM
  #2
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
more possibles:

Josh Ho Sang(spits)
Jayce Hawryluk(wheat kings)
Brayden Point(warriors)
Marc McNulty(cougars)
Dylan Labbe(cataractes)
Bronson Beaton(eagles)

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:04 PM
  #3
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
McManked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,520
vCash: 535
Dante Salituro?

McManked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
  #4
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,130
vCash: 500
A few Q guys that, while their teams will make the playoffs, may be available due to elimination: D Nikolas Brouillard (Drummondville), C Laurent Dauphin (Chicoutimi), G Louis-Philippe Guindon (Drummondville).

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:43 AM
  #5
DKQ
Generic User Title
 
DKQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,128
vCash: 500
Assuming Lethbridge doesn't make it, I bet Macoy Erkamps and Ryan Pilon make it as a pair. Pilon is youngish (1996) but he plays well with Erkamps from what I've seen.

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:25 AM
  #6
clarkebr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
This tournament takes place next month in Sochi, Russia. The tournament this year is for 1995 born players or younger. As usual, Canada will send a team, largely made up of players that didn't make the CHL playoffs with their club teams. Late additions will be made from teams that lose in the first round. Any thoughts on who will be the early selections?

Here are some players that we can expect to see playing for Team Canada from non playoff CHL teams;

F - Jackson Houck - Vancouver Giants WHL
F - Morgan Klimchuk - Regina Pats WHL
F - Connor McDavic - Erie Otters OHL(1997 born, not in favor of bringing him)
F - Stephen Harper - Erie Otters OHL
F - Nick Ritchie - Peterborough Petes OHL

G - Justin Paulic - Moose Jaw Warriors WHL
is this tournament being played later this year. Is it only the first round of players available or could it be some second round teams that could supply players. Not much to pick from so far.

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:33 AM
  #7
SprDaVE
Registered User
 
SprDaVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Marc McNulty(cougars)

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:09 PM
  #8
arsmaster*
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,746
vCash: 500
Players I see as having a good chance to make the team as they'll likely be eliminated in the 1st round of that playoffs are as follows:

Sam Reinhart, Kootenay
Jason Dickinson, Guelph
Shea Theodore, Seattle
Ryan Kujawinski, Kingston


It'd be a not bad team:

Ritchie-Reinhart-RW
Dickinson-MacDavid-Harper
Houck-Klimchuck-RW
LW-Kujawinski-RW

That's not a bad forward group.

arsmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:57 PM
  #9
BondraTime
Registered User
 
BondraTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 10,682
vCash: 500
Clark Bishop is a 96', I am never sure how the ages of these U18 teams work as there are two tournaments. He could play

BondraTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
  #10
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Clark Bishop is a 96', I am never sure how the ages of these U18 teams work as there are two tournaments. He could play
The spring under 18s use the previous December 31st as the cut off. So anyone born January 1st, 1995 or later is eligible for the 2013 under 18s even though many of the early '95s will have turned 18.

I hope McDavid makes it. Just like the World Championships the bummer for this tournament is the players that have to miss. There are some pretty good '95s on Halifax and London who will be playing in the playoffs while this tournament goes on. arsmaster posted a solid forward group to start from.


Last edited by bruinsfan46: 03-11-2013 at 02:33 PM.
bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:31 PM
  #11
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
McManked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,520
vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Dante Salituro?
Nevermind, he'd be one year away right?

McManked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:45 PM
  #12
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Nevermind, he'd be one year away right?
Last year's team had Reinhart, Morrissey, Nurse and Martin as '95s so I would expect some '96s this year sprinkled in with the '95s. Even a '97 McDavid should have a chance. However I wouldn't expect Salituro to make this team, next year he could make the Hlinka U18 team at the end of the summer (they roll over the calendar for that one so '96s and younger) and then next spring the IIHF U18 depending how Ottawa is doing.

Any ideas on defense? Nurse and/or Morrissey could be back if their teams lose in the first round. Don't see a whole lot on the non-playoff teams in the OHL. Mississauga is fading fast, might not even get into the playoffs making Spencer Martin available to play goal.


Last edited by bruinsfan46: 03-11-2013 at 02:57 PM.
bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:13 PM
  #13
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Players I see as having a good chance to make the team as they'll likely be eliminated in the 1st round of that playoffs are as follows:

Sam Reinhart, Kootenay
Jason Dickinson, Guelph
Shea Theodore, Seattle
Ryan Kujawinski, Kingston


It'd be a not bad team:

Ritchie-Reinhart-RW
Dickinson-MacDavid-Harper
Houck-Klimchuck-RW
LW-Kujawinski-RW

That's not a bad forward group.
Some very good forwards there, hopefully they can get a group like that and nobody is injured and can't play.

Right now the problem might be on D, if Morrissey and Nurse come available and maybe an Ekblad, to go with a Theodore, they could be alright.

Martin in goal would be nice, should be a few '95 goalies available as there are more than a few playing well in the CHL.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:14 PM
  #14
StormSurge9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Guelph, ONT
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Some very good forwards there, hopefully they can get a group like that and nobody is injured and can't play.

Right now the problem might be on D, if Morrissey and Nurse come available and maybe an Ekblad, to go with a Theodore, they could be alright.

Martin in goal would be nice, should be a few '95 goalies available as there are more than a few playing well in the CHL.
Barrie likely makes a run, so I highly doubt Ekblad will become available. Looking at the Eastern Conference in the OHL, the 4/5 battle of Sudbury vs. Brampton could have a player sent in either Baptiste (SUD) or Robinson (BRA).

I look at the potential matchups and I think in the West, Sault Ste. Marie matches up well against Owen Sound. If an upset happens that means no Nurse but could open the door for Zach Nastasiuk and Chris Bigras to potentially grab spots.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:42 PM
  #15
ottawah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Jamisons? Thats a protestant whiskey.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 03:25 AM
  #16
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: TSN 1260 & Oil Kings
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,292
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
I had Kevin Prendergast on my show a couple of days ago.

McDavid is definite. So is Klimchuk.

Ho Sang is a NO.

Listen for yourself.

__________________
Listen live to The Pipeline Show or find the audio archives and our blog at: www.thepipelineshow.com
Guy Flaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:30 AM
  #17
clarkebr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
I had Kevin Prendergast on my show a couple of days ago.

McDavid is definite. So is Klimchuk.

Ho Sang is a NO.

Listen for yourself.
thanks for that.
once again, doesn't it sound like goaltending is a problem.
we should be able to produce more than a couple of quality goaltenders across the country, shouldn't we?
this is really a tough tournment for canada with USA and Sweden playing with stacked teams all year.

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:38 AM
  #18
Brian Fogarty
@hockey_prophets
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Jamisons? Thats a protestant whiskey.
You have that backwards. Bushmills is the protestant whisky.

That's one of the greatest television lines of all time.

Brian Fogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:42 AM
  #19
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
I had Kevin Prendergast on my show a couple of days ago.

McDavid is definite. So is Klimchuk.

Ho Sang is a NO.

Listen for yourself.
Sorry, but Hockey Canada has to smarten up and dump Pendergast. The guy wouldn't know hockey talent from a cheese danish.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:33 AM
  #20
VictorLustig
Registered User
 
VictorLustig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
thanks for that.
once again, doesn't it sound like goaltending is a problem.
we should be able to produce more than a couple of quality goaltenders across the country, shouldn't we?
this is really a tough tournment for canada with USA and Sweden playing with stacked teams all year.
That's an exaggeration. Sweden has only played 7 games in total this year + the Ivan Hlinka tournament. Around 45 players have been tested in these games, many of the key players have played on the U17 and U20 teams instead.

VictorLustig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:08 PM
  #21
clarkebr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Sorry, but Hockey Canada has to smarten up and dump Pendergast. The guy wouldn't know hockey talent from a cheese danish.
Maybe so, i have to believe Ron Tugnutt and HC has not done enough as well to train and prepare the goaltenders. The big hope is that the 95 year is going to bail them out and make them look good.

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:02 PM
  #22
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
Assuming Lethbridge doesn't make it, I bet Macoy Erkamps and Ryan Pilon make it as a pair. Pilon is youngish (1996) but he plays well with Erkamps from what I've seen.
Mckeown from Kingston on D??? He's a '96?

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:21 PM
  #23
habsrule4eva3089
Registered User
 
habsrule4eva3089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,598
vCash: 500
Shaping up to be a good backend if all the results keep pace. How many of these players do any of you think have the possibility of ending up on the final roster?

Darnell Nurse
Kyle Burroughs
Josh Morrissey
Madison Bowey
Ryan Pilon
Macoy Erkamps
Roland McKeown
Jesse Lees

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:28 PM
  #24
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Shaping up to be a good backend if all the results keep pace. How many of these players do any of you think have the possibility of ending up on the final roster?

Darnell Nurse
Kyle Burroughs
Josh Morrissey
Madison Bowey
Ryan Pilon
Macoy Erkamps
Roland McKeown
Jesse Lees
I think a guy like Dillon Heatherington out of Swift Current could get an invite.

Bowey out of Kelowna will be a lock if they lose but regardless, if they come back and beat Seattle, then Shea Theodore is a lock for Canada on D.

Nikolas Brouillard out of the Q should get alot of consideration, the kid put up some pretty decent numbers this season.

Rimouski losing in the Q would result in some nice additions.


Last edited by HabLover: 03-24-2013 at 07:43 PM.
HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:05 PM
  #25
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting
 
Mark Edwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
is this tournament being played later this year. Is it only the first round of players available or could it be some second round teams that could supply players. Not much to pick from so far.

It is a bit later this year. Canada may have a chance at some players ousted in the second round. Keep in mind it's a longer more difficult trip for the late adds this year wityh the tourney being held in Sochi. I have had some chats with some NHL guys about the lack of available players, one scout said the other day "Canada better wait as long as possible."

__________________
Director of Scouting at HockeyProspect.com Covering NHL, OHL & QMJHL Draft's
Check out our latest NHL Draft Rankings & our NHL Draft Black Book
Follow me on Twitter @MarkEdwardsHP I scout NHL Draft prospects full time.
Mark Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.