HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

My 2013 NHL list April 20th

Old
04-20-2013, 07:27 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

vCash: 500
My 2013 NHL list April 20th

there are so many more players i would like to rank as a 1st rounder but this draft is deep and it is one of those drafts that every team will have a different order of guys from pick 15 on.

1. Nathan MacKinnon—F—Halifax 5’11/179 44 32 43 75 Mackinnon IMO is the 1st overall, his acceleration and speed is unmatched by all prospects I have seen, he is strong, physical, willing to fight, good hitter, excellent vision and excellent playmaking skills, creative puck handler, exciting to watch, excellent hard shot but has to improve accuracy, he plays both ends of the ice, he is the franchise type of a player, too me beside Drouin he is one of the most exciting players in the draft, his skating and rushes just leave people standing in ovation and some of the moves he can pull off at high speed is something to be seen, he makes offense look easy but his acceleration is what just makes him special not in all my years of scouting have I seen a player skate like this at this age…one of my favorite player in the 90s was Pavel Bure, his skating was amazing, Mackinnon could be a skater like him he is that fast.

2. Seth Jones—D—Portland 6’03/200 61 14 42 56 Jones is big, smooth and excellent skater with smooth hands, very good rushing ability and is good at becoming the 4th forward, an excellent passer and playmaker, Jones has a decent shot, creative puck work, I find he does too much with the puck and has to know when to use his teammates more, but his size, smoothness, skills, good work in his own zone and good offensive ability make him that all around defender a team searches for, he has to learn to use his body a bit more though.

3. Jonathan Drouin—F—Halifax 5’09/173 49 41 64 105 Drouin is probably the most exciting player in the draft, his puck wizardry I have not seen in the QMJHL since Daniel Briere wowed me with his end to end puck handling wizardry, Drouin can dance around defenders with ease, he has great hand eye coordination, he has great playmaking and vision, and his shooting is great with an amazing wriste shot but he passes way too much passing up good shooting opportunities to make the pass, he is a fast, agile skater, great hockey sense, and is very strong body for his size and uses his strength, he is not scared to traffic and has great puck protection.

4. Alexander Barkov—F—Tappara SML 6’02/205 53 21 27 48 I love this guys skills his hands, his creative puck handling, his vision and hockey sense, his passing, his power forward game, he is great in front of the net, he uses his body well, to me this guy reminds me of a Russian Dave Andreychuck, his skating is very slow but his skills are amazing just like Dave, he produces against men now and is a force with the puck, I love his big strong frame and skills, if he was a fast skater he would be giving Mackinnon and Jones a run for their money, he is a franchise style player, his skating will cause concern to some teams but if he can improve that this guy will be a wow player in the NHL.

5. Valery Nichushkin—F—Traktor KHL 6’03/176 18 04 02 06 Nischushkin is a great skater, very smooth, agile for his size, good acceleration, he has great puck handling skills and loves to go end to end with the puck and wow with his rushes, he is an excellent shooter, he puts up with the rough play and is proving himself against men, Nichushkin is strong on the puck and uses strength when bringing the puck down the ice as well but has to learn to keep his game more simple but his skill is great, his size, skating, puck handling and shooting are all great, he is also willing to throw his body around and make some hits, he has the ability to be a franchise player who can bring fans out of their seats with his play, I have him a bit lower because of him staying in Russia to play and I think he is still some time off because for his style of game I would like to see him come over and prove his style in a rougher league, he plays a NA style.

6. Sean Monahan—F—Ottawa 6’02/190 58 31 47 78 His hockey IQ is 2nd to none in the draft, he is very smart, moves well on the ice, he is a smooth puck handler and has good hands, an excellent passer with good vision and knows how to move on the ice with and without the puck, he plays both ends of the ice and is great at protecting the puck, he is good in the corners and is a great leader, he reminds me of Eric Staal in body and talent.

7. Rasmus Ristolainen—D—TPS SML 6’03/201 52 03 12 15 Ristolainen to me is one of the most complete defenders in the draft, he has good defensive ability, very smart in his own end but I like with him with the puck, he moves well with the puck, has great poise with the puck, makes great plays, understands the game to a tee, I love his passing ability though and his pinching ability too, he picks his times perfect and with his size he is able to get a good reach on plays, he plays like a man and I think he is ready to step into the NHL but I think it will be a slow learning curve for him but he has high high potential and has the ability to be an all-star in the league.

8. Robert Hägg—D—Modo J20 6’02/201 28 11 13 24 Hagg is probably one of the best all around defenders in the draft, he is strong, aggressive, super smart, excellent knowledge on how to keep his guy contained, he keeps his guy in front of him and he is hard to fake out with the puck, I like how he keeps his eyes trained on the guys chest rather than the puck, he moves very very well now for a defender and he is rarly out skated, and when handling faster players he is so smart about knowing how to handle them it is not a problem for him, he has great awareness with the puck as well, makes great out let passes that are super hard and tape to tape smooth, he just makes amazing passes and controls the play from the point as well because of his knowledge and passing, he is very mature and poised as well for a young guy, this guy could in the future be a number one defender for a good team.

9. Elias Lindholm—F—Brynas 6’00/183 48 11 19 30 This guy is a really a treat to watch, his two way play is excellent, he is willing to take a hit to make a play, he is exciting with the puck, some of his plays on the ice make people shake their heads, he is super smart, a good skater, excellent vision and playmaker but is not bad shooting, he has great hands and puck handling skills, he is strong, this guy does it all and adds excitement, he reminds me of a Henrik Zetterberg style of a player.

10. Hunter Shinkaruk—F—Med Hat 5’10/165 64 37 49 86 This guy is exciting to watch, he has great speed and agility, a very gifted puck handler who is exciting to watch and can bring fans out of their seats, I really like the way he sees the ice and moves, he has a great release while moving at top flight and he is also a good passer too, but his exciting rushes usually leave him getting into open ice or breakaways all the time, he is a fun player to watch and though he needs to improve strength his skill is so high and exciting there is not a team who would not want this guy on their team, he is just so offensively gifted, he is in the mold of a Patrick Kane type of exciting player, if a team took in as high as 6th or even 5th I would not be shocked.

11. Darnell Nurse—D—SSM 6’04/180 68 12 29 41 Nurse has great size and such smooth skating, he has good speed but his stride is great to watch, he is a very smooth puck handler, he makes great rushes with the puck, excellent pinches he recognizes his lanes to rush in well and he is able to be the 4th forward sometimes, he has good passing skills and a hard shot from the point, he is very smart and has the potential to be a top 2 pairing defender in the NHL in the future, I would really like to see him become more physical but his skills are top notch and he is always creating something on the ice with the puck and without the puck he is good in his own zone, I find he has to learn to cut the boards off a bit better but if he added a physical game those boards would not longer be free rain for the other team on him.

12. Zachary Fucale—G— Halifax 6’00/166 45 05 2.35 .909 An excellent smart goalie who has great positioning and has good rebound control, he follows the puck very well and shows good agility and the ability to make good saves through traffic, he is very calm sometimes too calm, but he makes his job look easy and he is very good at stopping the puck, right now he himself has even said it is hard playing nets in Halifax because he does not face many shots and he will go a long time without facing a shot then all of a sudden he has to stop something hard then nothing for a long time, he is the type of goalie who thrives off of a big work load and gets better with the more shots he faces, he has franchise goalie ability his ability to just see the play, stay in position and make things look easy are all attributes scouts are seeing and put on top of that he has good reflexes and movement in his crease, I think his positioning is the best among all draftable goalies and that is saying something because this is a great year for goalies but his skill level is very high and he has the ability to win a game by himself.

13. Valentin Zykov—F—Baie Comeau 6’01/215 67 40 35 75 Zykov is a strong power forward style of a player, he has an excellent shot that he is able to let go in a hurry and does not need a lot of room to unleash it, he works well in tight situations and has soft hands in front of the net, he is a strong skater and he uses his size well as he has great protection of the puck and is a smooth and great puck handler especially in tight places, Zykov is also able to pass the puck but he is a shoot first, he goes in dirty areas and does a lot of hard work on the ice, he has great hockey sense and is always creating something on the ice, he has big time scoring skills and with his strong play and PF game he will be a strong contender in the draft to move up even higher than where I have him at 14, he just moves so well with and without the puck, he is always in position, always dangerous and always keeps goalies thinking too much on the ice which is a good thing, he seems to learn goalies weaknesses very fast.

14. Nikita Zadorov—D—London 6’04/205 63 06 19 25 I really love Zadorov, he is big, strong, mobile, excellent physical play, he hits hard but he has excellent IQ about when to hit and when not too but he makes others players scared of him, he is very smart in the defensive side of the game, he plays his angels well, really keeps guys out of the crease, uses his body well, roughs guys up, works the puck out well, he is an excellent passer out of the zone and from the point, he has a good low shot, he is so smart, so strong, and big there is not much to like about this guy he will be a sturdy defender who plays tough, he is good though in the offensive end, he does not pinch much but he works the puck around well, takes open shots and is able to spot guys from the point and get the puck too them fast, he is just so smart and so good.

15. Ryan Pulock—D—Brandon 6’01/201 61 14 31 45 Im still a fan of this guy, he is very strong, excellent two way ability, an excellent passer and vision, very smart, he controls the play with and without the puck, he has a good shot and is great on the PP and the PK as well, he plays his position so well and adds to the offense, this guy can do it all and if someone takes him top 10 it would not shock me the least.

16. Kerby Rychel—Windsor 6’00/185 68 40 47 87 This guy has so much skill, I just wish he was more consistent, he is a shift by shift player, one shift he dominates with his ability to protect the puck and shoot, I love how he finds open ice and is so good at releasing the puck, but then on the next shift he will be lazy, he is when he is trying he fights for the puck in corners, not scared of taking the body, has excellent awareness, and is a deadly shooter who has great offensive instincts, he is very smart, and I love his game when he is trying. I would be curious if a team like Calgary would take this guy.

17. Adam Erne—F—Quebec 6’00/205 68 28 44 72 Erne would be higher on my list but he has gotten into some hot water this year with his team, being a healthy scratch in a game because the older players from the team went to Roy about antics Erne and Duclaire were pulling off which I will leave off this board…but they are not the best respected on the team…Erne though has amazing skills, a fast skater, strong player, excellent puck handler with creative hands and exciting rushes, he is a great shooter and his goals this year does not reflect that he is a great shooter and sniper, he is a good passer as well and is very smart, he is very skilled and has the potential to be a top flight NHL player, Erne is just a great talent and hopefully he learned his lesson.

18. Anthony Mantha—F—Val-d’Or 6’03/178 67 50 39 89 Excellent size and an excellent skater with a smooth stride, good acceleration and excellent speed, his skating stands out to you at first, he is a pure shooter, he has an excellent hard, accurate shot that is deadly off the rush, he needs to become a bit more well rounded as a playmaker to have defenders back off of him so he has more room, but he is a pure shooter with size and speed, he is smart with the puck though and does a good job at being very slippery on the defense.

19. Curtis Lazar—F—Edmonton 6’00/189 72 38 23 61 Not the player most people thought but he is still a great leader and excellent player, he still has a deadly shot and moves well without the puck, he is a solid passer but he is strong, plays hard, goes in dirty areas, opens up the ice, willing to drop the gloves, excellent in the corners, an excellent hitter and good open ice hitter and hard along the boards hitter, he plays a great two way game, he is smart in the offensive end and smart in the defensive end, he will be a great 2nd line player in the show, and what makes him good is if he does not work out as a top 2 line player his style game can make him a great 3rd liner, I think this guy has a low bust label on him in the sense his game will translate it is just what role will he step up to play in the future.

20. Artturi Lehkonen—F—TPS SML 5’10/150 45 14 16 30 Good skater, creative puck handler, Lehkonen is a few years off of making the NHL but he is a great project for a team who is patient, if he gets drafted by a team who rushes prospects he will be a bust, but with time this guy will be an excellent player, he has speed, creative puck handling, excellent goal scoring ability, he is exciting to watch and he is not scared to muck it up a bit, but he needs A LOT more strength to translate, he has very high skills that allow him to get by just on talent and not worry about his strength, in the offensive zone he has that rare ability to take over and create something out of nothing but his strength is the major issue right now but over time he will be a force if handled properly.

21. Andre Burakovsky—F—Malmo Allsven 6’01/176 43 04 07 11 I love this guys work ethic off the ice to be an NHL player, he is a super hard worker off the ice to improving his game and that speaks volumes to how a player will develop, his skills are very good now with excellent skating, good hands with the puck, he sticks to simple plays right now but once in a blue moon you will see him pull off an amazing move to get around his man that makes you wonder what is hiding in this guys lunch box once he gets more playing time and confidence, he is a good shooter, he passes the puck well, moves well with and without the puck, he needs a few years on the ice to learn to be the man I guess as you want to say it, his skills are all there he just needs to recognize what he has and use them and if he does he will be a great 1st round pick with lots of potential.

22. Eric Comrie—Goalie—Tri-City 6’00/175 20 14 2.62 .915 I love this guys game, he always looks in so much control on the ice, he is very strong on the play, has excellent reads, moves very smoothly in the nets, reacts well to the play, he just looks so poised and mature, he has excellent positioning, good speed, smooth movements, good with his legs, good agility and very good reflexes, Comrie IMO is a franchise goalie in the making who is going to be drafted very very high, I personally like him even a little higher than this but I know goalies go a little later than expected.

23. Bo Horvat—F—London 6’00/198 67 33 28 61 To me Horvat is a great player, he has speed, he is very strong, I love how he goes to the net like a bull and uses his strength to open up the ice for himself, he seems to have a great nose for the net, he tracks pucks well, he has a great shot off the rush, he is a solid passer, he is not a flashy player but he can shoot, pass and play very hard, he is a bull in the corners and loves the dirty work, he plays excellent defense, he displays great leadership qualities as well, with some more strength and added confidence in the future he will be a great player.

24. Oliver Bjorkstrand—F—Portland 0’00/000 65 31 32 63 I watch him play and I might be missing something but I do not see his game translating like most think, I find he skates well, has a good shot, decent passer and good hockey sense, but I find for a guy that is listed at 5’11 he looks more like 5’09 to me especially when I was standing next to him off the ice, I find he lacks that explosive ability in the offensive zone that would make his game great, he has skill im not denying that, I would just like to see him learn to take over the offensive zone and control the play a bit better than what I have seen from him, mind you I have only seen him play 4 times in person and maybe I caught some bad games of his but I see a good skill set with a good mind but IMO for an offensive player I find he just does not control the play yet.

25. Josh Morrissey—D—Prince Albert 6’00/184 70 15 32 47 I still think he is smaller than his 6’00 ranking but he is very skilled, I like his open ice hitting ability, but he is a smooth puck handler, loves to rush the puck, has good skating ability, a good passer off the rush, controls the offensive play, becomes the 4th forward, he is a top notch offensive player, he is ok in his own zone but he has to learn when to rush and when not too, he also has to learn positioning a bit better in his own zone to be more of a complete defender.

26. Eric Roy—D –Brandon Wheat 6’03/190 72 17 22 39 I like Roy’s game, he has really improved his defensive game and is showing he is working hard on his game to improve areas that need improving, already talented with the puck from what I saw from Roy this year he laid back a bit to work on his defensive game and he did a great job at that, I found he is playing a lot better without the puck now and is keeping position, playing his angles better and reading the other teams plays a lot better, he still has excellent vision, puck handling, passing and a good shot from the point, he is just now adding an all around game, his raw skills are great and with his ability to show he is willing to commit he could likely go higher in this draft than expected, maybe even higher than where I have him because with his excellent offensive game he is adding a good defensive game with it, I was very impressed with him this year, and they say points do not tell the story and to me even though his scoring is down a bit im pretty sure it is because he is working on being a better all around player because I still see excellent offensive potential in him.

27. Nick Petan—F—Portland 5’09/153 71 46 74 120 there is no way I could not put this guy in my 1st round, I do not care if he was 5’08 he is way too good, Petan is fast, very creative puck handler, excellent vision and great playmaking, he makes plays out of nothing, he is an excellent shooter and everytime he is on the ice he just takes over in the offensive end and creates magic it seems, he reacts very fast to plays and sees things before they happen, he is project though, with his great amazing skills he needs to improve his strength especially his lower body strength and has to learn to play a lot better in the defensive zone, but even though he is off some time from the NHL a team who is patient will have a great prospect for the future who could be like a Marc Savard type of a player.

28. Pavel Buchnevich—F—Severstal MHL 6’00/157 24 08 15 23 This guys skill is so high, again I have him low because of the Russian factor but he is explosive fast, very creative puck handler, he is a great shooter and an exciting passer, he creates offense out of nothing and has the ability to bring fans out of their seats with his offensive skills and speed, there is no reason he should not go 1st round, he has top 10 skill for the draft, I think he will slip a bit because teams are a little stand offish of taking a Russian high but he is ultra skilled and to me one of the most pure skilled players in the draft he is dynamic, when I saw him he split the defense went in and top shelf back handed goal it was a real beauty.

29. Morgan Klimchuk—F—Regina 5'11/180 72 36 40 76 I find with Klimchuk you have a player who is a good player who has leadership skills as well, he is a good skater, I find he likes to rush the puck down the wing and cut it hard to the net and create by attacking the middle, he has good hands with the puck and is developing better protecting skills, he has a decent array of shots and is a good passer as well, I found he looks to be good off the ice as well and when I met him he was a class act and very mature, he is a hard worker on the ice as well and I found this year he showed excellent offense to go along with him getting back more often and chipping in defensively.

30. Laurent Dauphin—F—Chicoutimi 6’00/166 62 25 32 57 Dauphine is very creative puck handler, excellent in tight situations and on the rush, he looks like he has the puck on a string sometimes, he is very smart and knows how to play in the offensive end with the best of them, he has good shooting and good playmaking skills, he is a dangerous player when past the blue line and he is an excellent point producer, he does have to add strength to his frame but he is not scared of going in dirty areas, with improved strength Dauphin is going to be a scary player and years from now he could be the guy people say I wonder why he never went higher.

31. Max Domi—F—London 5’10/184 64 39 48 87 I am still not sold 100% on Domi, he is a good skater, excellent puck handler, I find he struggles a bit with knowing when to use his teammates and makes things hard for himself on the ice, he has good offensive skills but he has to start making his game more simple or else he will get eaten alive at the next level.

32. Steve Santini—D—NTDP U18 6’01/208 58 00 15 15 The only reason I have this guy 2nd round is because his offensive game has not developed but that does not mean he is not a great player, my take on him is big and strong, he plays with a mean streak using his body, roughing guys up and he is a hard hitter, he is a great skater too that allows him to keep up with the puck and he has smooth hands with the puck and is a capable puck carrier, he is just very very smart with and without the puck and excels in the defensive zone shutting down top lines, he has good passing ability and good shot, skills are there for offense to get a lot better, he has so much skill.

33. Ryan Hartman—F—Plymouth 5’10/182 56 23 37 60 I love this guy, he reminds me of Michael Peca, he is a good skater, very aggressive, always doing the hard work, he is an excellent open ice hitter and is excellent using his body, he plays A LOT bigger than he is, he is an excellent two way player, he has a big shot and plays very hard on the ice, IMO he is going to be a good 2nd line player to really really good 3rd line player who will play an energy role who is able to put up points.

34. Frederik Gauthier—F—Rimouski 6’04/219 62 22 38 60 A very smooth skater with excellent agility and acceleration, he has such a smooth stride it makes you watch his skating, he is not a flashy player so if your expecting flash and dash your watching the wrong player, he is so smart, he moves so well with and without the puck, he just always knows where to go, he will fight in corners, play hard on the boards, he is not physical but he does not shy away from hard aggressive fights, he makes good passes, takes good shots, has good hands, sticks to simple effective plays but really does when is asked of a player and with his size and his skill and skating he is a great potential future 2nd to 3rd line player.

35. Jan Kostalek—D—Sparta Praha U18 6’00/176 48 05 13 18 I really really like Kostalek and if some team grabs him in the 1st round I would not be shocked, he is a good skater, very smart player, he controls the play with the puck in his end and makes good out let passes and is capable at rushing the puck out of the zone as well, he is not an end to end rusher but his positioning and IQ are 2nd to none he angels his men out scoring position very well, he ties his man up very well, he has good skating to keep his man in front of him, he lets goalies have a clear lane to see the puck to he net, he has smooth puck handling skills, excellent passing ability, he has a good shot from the point and he has a good offensive game brewing, I think next year he has the potential to put up 40 points in the QMJHL while playing really good defense but he skates well with and without the puck, always makes the right decision, I hardly see him screw up this guy has high high potential.

36. Spencer Martin—G—Mississauga 6’02/186 17 21 3.02 .906 I really like Martin, every time I saw him play he was so calm and poised in nets, even on breakaways he was so calm and cool in the nets, he has great positioning and excellent ability to read plays, he seems to stay with the play and does not give the shooter much to shoot at, I like how he is able to play a stand up style that is effective and I really liked how he is smart in the net and does not go down early, he is hard to fake out and IMO he is a great great goalie for the future.

37. Ian McCoshen—D—Waterloo 6’03/207 50 11 31 42 When I saw this guy play I was very impressed, he was great in his own zone, I found he was great in positioning, used his body well, did very very well at keeping his man under wraps, I really thought he was one of the best defenders on the team, he moves well keeps his guy in front, very smart, used his size and body, but he was also good with the puck making good rush up the ice, he made some excellent plays off the rush, he is a great two way defender with big upside.

38. Jason Dickinson—Guelph 6’01/165 66 18 29 47 I like his game, he looks like a pro on the ice now, he moves very well, he looks poised with the puck, very smart on where to move on the ice, I find he finds open ice very well, I like his ability to use his body to protect the puck and get the puck deep in the offensive zone then he is able to create offense, he has a great shot and I found he catches goalies moving very well and shows excellent shot placement, I also found he is a solid passer as well and uses his body well, he started getting better in the defensive zone too, I really like this guy and a team could take a flyer on him in the 1st round because of his skill level, size and all around smooth play, I think he has a high upside.

39. Taylor Cammarata—F—Waterloo 5’07/156 55 35 50 85 This guy is so small but man is he a wonder to watch on the ice, he is a wizard on the ice and creates something out of nothing all the time, his vision, playmaking, shooting, exciting puck handling, great IQ and awareness, his ability to just take over the ice, and for his size he is strong and seems to play bigger than he is, if he was 5’11 he would be top 5 in the draft up with the best of them, too me he looks smaller than his height lists on the ice which would not shock me if he was but his skill is so high, this guy has the potential to be an NHL all star he is that good.

40. Tristian Jarry—G—Edmonton 6’02/178 18 07 1.61 .936 I love Jarry, he has such great size, agility and speed, I think he is one of the best WHL goalies I have seen for a draft in some time, he makes such great saves and looks stylish doing it, he has good positioning, excellent goalie with traffic in front of him, I was watching him make saves with heavy traffic in front and hard shots coming in front of the point and he was making the saves, I think personally, him or Martin could both go 1st round if a team really wants to take a goalie early, Jarry is very skilled and gifted in nets and IMO is going to be a great goalie for the future, I just love his agility, speed and positioning for a bigger goalie, he is exciting to watch and reacts very well to plays.

41. Alexander Wennberg—F—Djurgarden 6’01/183 46 14 18 32 I really like Wennberg at controlling the play coming down the wing with the puck and using his pin pint passing ability to create offense, he is a great playmaker who skates well, he is also a very good two way player, I saw him getting back to help out the defense and speeding up after getting the puck back to help out the offense, he is really good at controlling the tempo on the ice as well, I think he has so much upside because of his playmaking, two way game to go along with his great IQ that a team will be taking him early.

42. Evan Allen—F—NTDP U17 5’10/184 59 20 23 43 This guy has the potential to be a real steal in the draft, his goal scoring attributes are amoung some of the best in the draft, with the puck he is great, he is a good puck handler, tracks the puck well, never gives up on getting it back in crowds, he moves well with and without the puck in the offensive end, and his shooting is 2nd to none, an excellent release, always looking for loose puck to pounce on, always in position to shoot, he has great hands in front, he has a high IQ in the offensive end as well, I can see him being a 2nd line guy in the future with 30 to 40 goal potential, I do find though he has to really improve his play without the puck, I found him a bit lazy when the puck is going the other way, like most of these 2nd rounders I have ranked I would not be shocked if a team took a flyer on him in the 1st though.

43. Connor Rankin—F—Tri City 6’00/185 71 32 26 58 I was really expecting a lot more out of Rankin offensively, he is so smart, not flashy but moves well without the puck, he has good shooting, goes to the net, very smart on following up rebounds, he goes in dirty areas, plays good two way hockey, he does it all on the ice, but to me he is not developing as much as I thought he would since his excellent rookie season.

44. Gustav Possler—F—Modo 20 5’11/172 09 06 04 10 I really like this guy, he is a pure sniper who takes a lot of shots in a game but he is not a wild shooter he picks his spots very well, he goes to the net with his stick down and is always doing well finding open space on the ice, he is a very smart player with excellent poise and confidence with the puck, he has good puck handling ability and is capable at carrying the puck down the ice and getting off a good quality shot…he follows up on rebounds well and is great tracking rebounds as well, he has some flash to his game but is very smart and just understands where to be and what to do.

45. Jacob de la Rose—F—Leksand 6’02/174 38 06 06 12 I like de la Rose but I do not think he is going to be that big time scorer some think he might be, he is a solid offensive player, strong on the puck, good passer, decent shooter, not a flashy player but uses hockey sense and smart play to create along with size and strength, he goes to dirty areas, does all the small things right, plays a good two way game, with his size, two way ability and smart on ice play there is not much to not like about this player and again like other players he has great ability that if he does not turn out to be a top 2 line player he is a player who can be a great 3rd line player, he will make the NHL, his style will allow him to do that.

46. Jordan Subban—D—Belleville 5’09/170 68 15 36 51 For this guys size to me is a ball of skill on the ice, I love his rushes and excitement he adds when he is on the ice, he is a great skater, smooth puck skills, he is a great puck rusher and really puts on some exciting rushes, he does remind me of his brother with the puck, he has excellent passing and though he has some work to do in the defensive end his ability with the puck is the is great and every time he is on the ice he creates offense or excellent rushes that gets the fans going.

47. JT Compher—F—NTDP U18 5’10/178 44 15 28 43 I think his all around style of game and hard working style, he never took a shift off of the games I saw of him and he is great at anticipating plays at both ends of the ice, to me his hockey sense was extremely high as he moves well, knows what to do and reacts well, I liked his ability to nag at players and get under their skin, I saw him take a few players off their games and I think that is a good quality, he works hard every shift, I found he has decent skating, good passing ability and will take his open shots, he is not a pure offensive player but yet he is a great two way player who is very capable offensively and has the ability to yap and much it up.

48. Shea Theodore—D—Seattle 6’00/170 71 19 31 50 Some NHL team is going to draft one of the best offensive defenders in Theodore, his skating is excellent, I really like his package of speed and agility, he is a smooth puck handler and is capable at doing it all himself on the ice, he has great passing and creates great offense off the rush, he can take the puck end to end with ease, he has good shooting ability, but he lacks defensive play, I find he gets lost too much on the ice doing his offensive stuff to be a reliable defender, his strength as well will need some work but he has time to improve that, if he can improve his defensive work some more he is going to make some team very very happy.

49. Hudson Fasching—F—NTDP U18 6’02/214 57 11 18 29 I love his size and skating ability, he is a tough player and loves going into traffic areas, I also like his soft hands in front of the goal and his ability to score in close to the net, I found he had a real good nose for the net and was most effective using his speed and strength fighting the puck through to the front of the net, I really like his hockey sense too, he knows what to do on the ice and when to do it, he has great work ethic off the ice as well, with his combo of size, hockey sense, skill and off ice work ethic there is no reason a team is not going to take this guy, he has potential in my mind to be a future 40 to 50 point power forward guy.

50. Chris Bigras—D—Owen Sound 6’01/189 68 08 30 38 I really like his IQ on the ice, he is very poised and calculated with the puck, he is always looking up and he really knows how to work the puck out of the zone with pin point passing, he has good hockey sense and loves to bring the puck out of the zone, he is very good on the rush and orchestrating a rush, he has good play in his own zone, I like this guy a lot.

51. William Carrier—F—Cape Breton 6’00/205 34 16 26 42 If he was not hurt for half of the year he would be a 1st rounder easy IMO, he is very strong, very smart, uses his size well, skates well, he is an excellent puck handler with excellent vision and playmaking but he is a good shooter too, he is good around the net, he seems to be all over the ice, he is strong on the puck, goes into dirty areas, he is a power forward with a finesse touch. There is no way a team does not take a flyer on him though.

52. Markus Soberg—F—Frolunda J20 6’00/176 36 10 16 26 I just love this guys game, he is a hard worker, a great skater with great speed and agility he can just fly on the ice, he has a cannon of a shot that he uses off the rush well, he also has a quick release and a good array of shots, I like his two way ability and his willingness on the ice….his area beside adding more strength that he has to work on is his puck handling, it is improving but he is a choppy puck handler I found and for his skating ability I find he fights the puck sometimes on rushes down the ice, I would like to see him smooth out his puck handling he does not even have to make it flashy just smooth it out to keep control on the way down, but he has so many other attributes and skill there is no way he does not go top 2 rounds.

53. Madison Bowey—D—Kelowna 6’00/180 69 12 18 30 This guy to me has all the tools in the world to work with but he lacks using them all, he is a good skater, very good passer, good hands, has a good low shot, Bowey is very good all around player but I found he does not always use his skills to his advantage, when watching him on the ice I find as if I want to go on the ice myself and say you have the skill to do more than stick to the simple play I want to see more from him and if he figures his skill he will be a good one.

54. Lucas Wallmark—F—Karlskrona Allsv 5’11/172 16 05 05 10 I still like this guy, I think he has some really good talent, he is many years off of making the NHL I think with time and patients this guy is a guy who could be a very good player, he reminds me of a guy Detroit would take and later down the road people say why didn’t we take him, he is good two way, a good skater, I really like his passing and playmaking he does create decent offense, he is a smart player, I know people talk about his strength but I find he is strong but like all kids as they all need it he needs to get stronger for his style of game to translate to the next level…again I feel he is the type of player who will not make the NHL until he is 22 or so after spending time in the AHL but he has the potential to be a good player.

55. Emile Poirier—F—Gatineau 6’01/175 65 32 38 70 This guy does it all, he is gritty, physical, aggressive, a good skater, excellent hands, he has good shooting, a decent passer, he plays both ends of the ice, he has good leadership skills, he goes to war for his team, not scared to muck it up on the ice and has good all around offensive skills, this guy is the kind of guy you win with.

56. Samuel Morin—D—Rimouski 6’05/184 46 04 12 16 Morin is big and very smooth skater with speed, he is very smart and though his points are not high he seems to always leave you wondering why he does not put up more points because he is a good passer, very smart with the puck takes his shots from the point, he is good on the PP and works the puck around very well, he is good in his own zone though, very very smart excellent positioning, but I would like to see him add a physical side to his game, with that much size he really has to get stronger and really has to start using his body to throw some hits. If he was physical now he would easily be a 1st rounder.

57. Philippe Desrosiers—G—Rimouski 6’00/177 22 08 3.07 .900 Excellent agility and speed in his crease, Desrosiers is exciting to watch, almost like a Marc-Andre Fleury style a bit where he is very athletic with speed and flair, he has good positioning but his flair and agility allow him to make those saves that make people say wow how did he do that, he is starting to control rebounds better now and he is hard to beat, he has great skills in nets.

58. Anthony Duclair—F—Quebec 5’11/159 55 20 30 50 It is a shame to see this guy play, he has soo much skill, he has the ability to bring people out of their seats, he is an amazing skater with acceleration, speed and agility, he dances on his skates and beats most people with his gears, he is an excellent puck handler, excellent on the rush and creative, his rushes are 2nd to none, he has excellent passing skills and good shooting skills but his problem is he picks his favorites to pass too on the ice and will only pass to them unless dire straights, he hogs the puck too much, he has a poor attitude on and off the ice, the older players complained about him and Erne to Roy and he is not the favorite to some of his teammates. His talents though, if he recognizes them and starts training harder to be a better player rather than just letting skills do the talking he could be a scary player, he is a real boom or bust style of player.

59. Tyler Motte—F—NTDP U18 5’10/165 59 21 16 37 I like Motte but there are many things I would like to iron out on his game, he is ultra skilled, a great skater with excellent agility and speed, Motte moves well on the ice and knows how to get open, he has excellent shooting ability, and really knows how to put the puck in the net, now is the bad, he is very inconsistent, he is weak, and I question some of his plays on the ice, I see him over and over make the game very hard for himself when he could easily make it easier with his skills, he has to learn to read his teammates better.

60. Nick Sørensen—F—Quebec 6’01/168 46 20 27 47 This guy really needs to bulk up, he is very weak but he is so skilled, he is a gifted puck handler, an excellent skater, he loves to make rushes with the puck and get in tight to take a great wrist shot, he is exciting to watch but unless he adds strength to his very thin frame he is a boom or bust style player who is skilled.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:48 AM
thomast

To me Wennberg is clear cut 1st rounder. Heads and shoulder above Burakowsky and Lehkonen top 15 isn't a stretch.

Barkov very slow skater? He isn't slow, he plays positionally sound game thats why he isn't racing up and down all the time. When he sees openings he can skate suprisingly fast. He is 17 year old and very thick so his skating is still very raw. His skating style and stride are very good. He basically needs just leg strength to develope his skating further. Barkov's biggest developement areas are explosiveness in his skating but big guys aren't very explosive (Thornthon, Staal etc.) and Barkov plays positional game like those guys plays and he is quick enough to stay with quicker players defensively. I'm just very amazed how people can't see further from now. Barkov was horrible skater last year. Now he is above average in FEL next year? He could be above average in the NHL. There is signs that it is still developing quite much. To me if any team passes Barkov because of his raw skating are doing big mistake. You always project the players how good skaters they will be in the future and i'm pretty confident that Barkov has chance to be very good skater in the NHL but not elite. Very good skating ability will be more than enough for Barkov. I could see him end up as similar skater as Sedins.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:54 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
To me Wennberg is clear cut 1st rounder. Heads and shoulder above Burakowsky and Lehkonen top 15 isn't a stretch.

Barkov very slow skater? He isn't slow, he plays positionally sound game thats why he isn't racing up and down all the time. When he sees openings he can skate suprisingly fast. He is 17 year old and very thick so his skating is still very raw. His skating style and stride are very good. He basically needs just leg strength to develope his skating further. Barkov's biggest developement areas are explosiveness in his skating but big guys aren't very explosive (Thornthon, Staal etc.) and Barkov plays positional game like those guys plays and he is quick enough to stay with quicker players defensively. I'm just very amazed how people can't see further from now. Barkov was horrible skater last year. Now he is above average in FEL next year? He could be above average in the NHL. There is signs that it is still developing quite much. To me if any team passes Barkov because of his raw skating are doing big mistake. You always project the players how good skaters they will be in the future and i'm pretty confident that Barkov has chance to be very good skater in the NHL but not elite. Very good skating ability will be more than enough for Barkov. I could see him end up as similar skater as Sedins.
I can see beyond, his skating is lumbering, he might have a good stride but he is strong now, when comparing him to a Drouin, Mackinnon, Jones, Monahan etc in skating, his skating is not there with theirs and it is not like he is going to turn into a speed demon by next year, Joe Thornton is a good skater for his size and so is Eric Staal, Barkov lacks acceleration and his top end speed once he reaches it the play is a little further than what it should be. Not like I said he is a bad player.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Huffman

Hägg over Lindholm is pretty crazy. Hägg has consistency issues and has played horrible at times. He has also been pretty average on the National teams according to reports. Watched him in the J20 playoffs and he didn't play particularly well there either. I think he's a major faller if he doesn't play really well at the U18's.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:03 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

A good read as always but I would be amazed if Lindholm and Wennberg are not the first Swedes to get picked.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:07 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

well this shows limited Swedish veiwings of Wennberg...when i saw Hagg he was really really good, Wennberg was good but was not amazing for me to put him 1st round so im going off what i saw.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Ristolainen over Nurse seems a bit surprising; Hagg over Nurse is very surprising.

I can't judge the players, but isn't that rating for Hagg a bit out of line with most others? I know ISS has been higher on him than most of the NA scouting services / observers--but 8th?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Lindholm should be the right up with Nichuskhin and I find your ranking of Domi very interesting, do you honestly believe he's going to fall that far? I ask because the OHL, QMJHL and NCAA are three development leagues I can't follow on regular basis.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:33 AM
lanky

Excellent work. Thanks.

I find it interesting that you are critical of Bjorkstrand (you seem to focus on the positives) and still have him in the first round.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:35 AM
stayinalive

Hägg is very high and I personally think it is very unlikely he gets picked anywhere near the Top 10.
Lindholm and Nurse should be higher IMO.
Another thing is that you have Bjorkstrand higher then many others at 24, but your description is a bit neagtive. That is kinda confusing to me.
As other people said Wennberg at 41 is crazy. He is no doubt a first round talent, could go Top 15 or even Top 10.
Mirco Müller, who was rated 12th among NA Skaters by CSS, and Justin Bailey are surprisingly missing

stayinalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:45 AM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

Good effort here, I think Lindholm should be a little higher here though.

04-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Scarecrow Boat

+1 for MacKinnon at #1

I'm sick of seeing Jones-Mac-Drouin or Jones-Drouin-Mac, or Drouin-Jones-Mac

I won't nitpick anything, like everyone who reads any list, I'll disagree with some & agree with others.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:03 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
I can see beyond, his skating is lumbering, he might have a good stride but he is strong now, when comparing him to a Drouin, Mackinnon, Jones, Monahan etc in skating, his skating is not there with theirs and it is not like he is going to turn into a speed demon by next year, Joe Thornton is a good skater for his size and so is Eric Staal, Barkov lacks acceleration and his top end speed once he reaches it the play is a little further than what it should be. Not like I said he is a bad player.
Joe Thornthon wasn't good skater at his 17's. Many other big players have improved from their draft year. It's harder to move huge body to fast speed. As i said he needs to gain leg strength to get more power in his strides to move his big body.

Lumbering skater? That was last year. Today he has beautiful skating and glide. Stride are long and smooth.

Some clips of his skating:

At 0.15

Couple plays where you can see his skating stride and glide. Barkov is most raw skater in the list you mentioned. It's not out of the question that he's better than Monahan in the future. Monahan isn't as thick or big as Barkov is and Barkov is nearly 1 year younger. Never stated that Barkov would be speed demon by next season his style of game isn't racing up and down. He is positional player. You called Barkov as very slow skater and i fully disagree on it.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Bob Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinalive View Post
Hägg is very high and I personally think it is very unlikely he gets picked anywhere near the Top 10.
Lindholm and Nurse should be higher IMO.
Another thing is that you have Bjorkstrand higher then many others at 24, but your description is a bit neagtive. That is kinda confusing to me.
As other people said Wennberg at 41 is crazy. He is no doubt a first round talent, could go Top 15 or even Top 10.
Mirco Müller, who was rated 12th among NA Skaters by CSS, and Justin Bailey are surprisingly missing
+1 to that. I am pretty sure Bailey will go in the first 2 rounds.

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:35 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:

17. Adam Erne—F—Quebec 6’00/205 68 28 44 72 Erne would be higher on my list but he has gotten into some hot water this year with his team, being a healthy scratch in a game because the older players from the team went to Roy about antics Erne and Duclaire were pulling off which I will leave off this board…but they are not the best respected on the team…Erne though has amazing skills, a fast skater, strong player, excellent puck handler with creative hands and exciting rushes, he is a great shooter and his goals this year does not reflect that he is a great shooter and sniper, he is a good passer as well and is very smart, he is very skilled and has the potential to be a top flight NHL player, Erne is just a great talent and hopefully he learned his lesson.
So QMJHL teams play 69 games now?

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
So QMJHL teams play 69 games now?
He was sent home along with Duclair and meant to be scratched but the players decided to bring them back for the game. It was a weird situation

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:44 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
He was sent home along with Duclair and meant to be scratched but the players decided to bring them back for the game. It was a weird situation
I know... cue the sarcasm smilie. But scoutman did say he was scratched while he wasn't.

It wasn't supposed to be outed. I guess it looked bigger than it really was. scoutman makes them look like the most hated guys on the team and it's not true. Back then, the team wasn't doing well but it went better after this. They formed a pretty tight group after this and played well as a team.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:02 AM
americanscout09

Quote:
there are so many more players i would like to rank as a 1st rounder but this draft is deep and it is one of those drafts that every team will have a different order of guys from pick 15 on.

1. Nathan MacKinnon—F—Halifax 5’11/179 44 32 43 75 Mackinnon IMO is the 1st overall, his acceleration and speed is unmatched by all prospects I have seen, he is strong, physical, willing to fight, good hitter, excellent vision and excellent playmaking skills, creative puck handler, exciting to watch, excellent hard shot but has to improve accuracy, he plays both ends of the ice, he is the franchise type of a player, too me beside Drouin he is one of the most exciting players in the draft, his skating and rushes just leave people standing in ovation and some of the moves he can pull off at high speed is something to be seen, he makes offense look easy but his acceleration is what just makes him special not in all my years of scouting have I seen a player skate like this at this age…one of my favorite player in the 90s was Pavel Bure, his skating was amazing, Mackinnon could be a skater like him he is that fast.

2. Seth Jones—D—Portland 6’03/200 61 14 42 56 Jones is big, smooth and excellent skater with smooth hands, very good rushing ability and is good at becoming the 4th forward, an excellent passer and playmaker, Jones has a decent shot, creative puck work, I find he does too much with the puck and has to know when to use his teammates more, but his size, smoothness, skills, good work in his own zone and good offensive ability make him that all around defender a team searches for, he has to learn to use his body a bit more though.

3. Jonathan Drouin—F—Halifax 5’09/173 49 41 64 105 Drouin is probably the most exciting player in the draft, his puck wizardry I have not seen in the QMJHL since Daniel Briere wowed me with his end to end puck handling wizardry, Drouin can dance around defenders with ease, he has great hand eye coordination, he has great playmaking and vision, and his shooting is great with an amazing wriste shot but he passes way too much passing up good shooting opportunities to make the pass, he is a fast, agile skater, great hockey sense, and is very strong body for his size and uses his strength, he is not scared to traffic and has great puck protection.

4. Alexander Barkov—F—Tappara SML 6’02/205 53 21 27 48 I love this guys skills his hands, his creative puck handling, his vision and hockey sense, his passing, his power forward game, he is great in front of the net, he uses his body well, to me this guy reminds me of a Russian Dave Andreychuck, his skating is very slow but his skills are amazing just like Dave, he produces against men now and is a force with the puck, I love his big strong frame and skills, if he was a fast skater he would be giving Mackinnon and Jones a run for their money, he is a franchise style player, his skating will cause concern to some teams but if he can improve that this guy will be a wow player in the NHL.

5. Valery Nichushkin—F—Traktor KHL 6’03/176 18 04 02 06 Nischushkin is a great skater, very smooth, agile for his size, good acceleration, he has great puck handling skills and loves to go end to end with the puck and wow with his rushes, he is an excellent shooter, he puts up with the rough play and is proving himself against men, Nichushkin is strong on the puck and uses strength when bringing the puck down the ice as well but has to learn to keep his game more simple but his skill is great, his size, skating, puck handling and shooting are all great, he is also willing to throw his body around and make some hits, he has the ability to be a franchise player who can bring fans out of their seats with his play, I have him a bit lower because of him staying in Russia to play and I think he is still some time off because for his style of game I would like to see him come over and prove his style in a rougher league, he plays a NA style.

6. Sean Monahan—F—Ottawa 6’02/190 58 31 47 78 His hockey IQ is 2nd to none in the draft, he is very smart, moves well on the ice, he is a smooth puck handler and has good hands, an excellent passer with good vision and knows how to move on the ice with and without the puck, he plays both ends of the ice and is great at protecting the puck, he is good in the corners and is a great leader, he reminds me of Eric Staal in body and talent.

7. Rasmus Ristolainen—D—TPS SML 6’03/201 52 03 12 15 Ristolainen to me is one of the most complete defenders in the draft, he has good defensive ability, very smart in his own end but I like with him with the puck, he moves well with the puck, has great poise with the puck, makes great plays, understands the game to a tee, I love his passing ability though and his pinching ability too, he picks his times perfect and with his size he is able to get a good reach on plays, he plays like a man and I think he is ready to step into the NHL but I think it will be a slow learning curve for him but he has high high potential and has the ability to be an all-star in the league.

8. Robert Hägg—D—Modo J20 6’02/201 28 11 13 24 Hagg is probably one of the best all around defenders in the draft, he is strong, aggressive, super smart, excellent knowledge on how to keep his guy contained, he keeps his guy in front of him and he is hard to fake out with the puck, I like how he keeps his eyes trained on the guys chest rather than the puck, he moves very very well now for a defender and he is rarly out skated, and when handling faster players he is so smart about knowing how to handle them it is not a problem for him, he has great awareness with the puck as well, makes great out let passes that are super hard and tape to tape smooth, he just makes amazing passes and controls the play from the point as well because of his knowledge and passing, he is very mature and poised as well for a young guy, this guy could in the future be a number one defender for a good team.

9. Elias Lindholm—F—Brynas 6’00/183 48 11 19 30 This guy is a really a treat to watch, his two way play is excellent, he is willing to take a hit to make a play, he is exciting with the puck, some of his plays on the ice make people shake their heads, he is super smart, a good skater, excellent vision and playmaker but is not bad shooting, he has great hands and puck handling skills, he is strong, this guy does it all and adds excitement, he reminds me of a Henrik Zetterberg style of a player.

10. Hunter Shinkaruk—F—Med Hat 5’10/165 64 37 49 86 This guy is exciting to watch, he has great speed and agility, a very gifted puck handler who is exciting to watch and can bring fans out of their seats, I really like the way he sees the ice and moves, he has a great release while moving at top flight and he is also a good passer too, but his exciting rushes usually leave him getting into open ice or breakaways all the time, he is a fun player to watch and though he needs to improve strength his skill is so high and exciting there is not a team who would not want this guy on their team, he is just so offensively gifted, he is in the mold of a Patrick Kane type of exciting player, if a team took in as high as 6th or even 5th I would not be shocked.

11. Darnell Nurse—D—SSM 6’04/180 68 12 29 41 Nurse has great size and such smooth skating, he has good speed but his stride is great to watch, he is a very smooth puck handler, he makes great rushes with the puck, excellent pinches he recognizes his lanes to rush in well and he is able to be the 4th forward sometimes, he has good passing skills and a hard shot from the point, he is very smart and has the potential to be a top 2 pairing defender in the NHL in the future, I would really like to see him become more physical but his skills are top notch and he is always creating something on the ice with the puck and without the puck he is good in his own zone, I find he has to learn to cut the boards off a bit better but if he added a physical game those boards would not longer be free rain for the other team on him.

12. Zachary Fucale—G— Halifax 6’00/166 45 05 2.35 .909 An excellent smart goalie who has great positioning and has good rebound control, he follows the puck very well and shows good agility and the ability to make good saves through traffic, he is very calm sometimes too calm, but he makes his job look easy and he is very good at stopping the puck, right now he himself has even said it is hard playing nets in Halifax because he does not face many shots and he will go a long time without facing a shot then all of a sudden he has to stop something hard then nothing for a long time, he is the type of goalie who thrives off of a big work load and gets better with the more shots he faces, he has franchise goalie ability his ability to just see the play, stay in position and make things look easy are all attributes scouts are seeing and put on top of that he has good reflexes and movement in his crease, I think his positioning is the best among all draftable goalies and that is saying something because this is a great year for goalies but his skill level is very high and he has the ability to win a game by himself.

13. Valentin Zykov—F—Baie Comeau 6’01/215 67 40 35 75 Zykov is a strong power forward style of a player, he has an excellent shot that he is able to let go in a hurry and does not need a lot of room to unleash it, he works well in tight situations and has soft hands in front of the net, he is a strong skater and he uses his size well as he has great protection of the puck and is a smooth and great puck handler especially in tight places, Zykov is also able to pass the puck but he is a shoot first, he goes in dirty areas and does a lot of hard work on the ice, he has great hockey sense and is always creating something on the ice, he has big time scoring skills and with his strong play and PF game he will be a strong contender in the draft to move up even higher than where I have him at 14, he just moves so well with and without the puck, he is always in position, always dangerous and always keeps goalies thinking too much on the ice which is a good thing, he seems to learn goalies weaknesses very fast.

14. Nikita Zadorov—D—London 6’04/205 63 06 19 25 I really love Zadorov, he is big, strong, mobile, excellent physical play, he hits hard but he has excellent IQ about when to hit and when not too but he makes others players scared of him, he is very smart in the defensive side of the game, he plays his angels well, really keeps guys out of the crease, uses his body well, roughs guys up, works the puck out well, he is an excellent passer out of the zone and from the point, he has a good low shot, he is so smart, so strong, and big there is not much to like about this guy he will be a sturdy defender who plays tough, he is good though in the offensive end, he does not pinch much but he works the puck around well, takes open shots and is able to spot guys from the point and get the puck too them fast, he is just so smart and so good.

15. Ryan Pulock—D—Brandon 6’01/201 61 14 31 45 Im still a fan of this guy, he is very strong, excellent two way ability, an excellent passer and vision, very smart, he controls the play with and without the puck, he has a good shot and is great on the PP and the PK as well, he plays his position so well and adds to the offense, this guy can do it all and if someone takes him top 10 it would not shock me the least.

16. Kerby Rychel—Windsor 6’00/185 68 40 47 87 This guy has so much skill, I just wish he was more consistent, he is a shift by shift player, one shift he dominates with his ability to protect the puck and shoot, I love how he finds open ice and is so good at releasing the puck, but then on the next shift he will be lazy, he is when he is trying he fights for the puck in corners, not scared of taking the body, has excellent awareness, and is a deadly shooter who has great offensive instincts, he is very smart, and I love his game when he is trying. I would be curious if a team like Calgary would take this guy.

18. Anthony Mantha—F—Val-d’Or 6’03/178 67 50 39 89 Excellent size and an excellent skater with a smooth stride, good acceleration and excellent speed, his skating stands out to you at first, he is a pure shooter, he has an excellent hard, accurate shot that is deadly off the rush, he needs to become a bit more well rounded as a playmaker to have defenders back off of him so he has more room, but he is a pure shooter with size and speed, he is smart with the puck though and does a good job at being very slippery on the defense.

19. Curtis Lazar—F—Edmonton 6’00/189 72 38 23 61 Not the player most people thought but he is still a great leader and excellent player, he still has a deadly shot and moves well without the puck, he is a solid passer but he is strong, plays hard, goes in dirty areas, opens up the ice, willing to drop the gloves, excellent in the corners, an excellent hitter and good open ice hitter and hard along the boards hitter, he plays a great two way game, he is smart in the offensive end and smart in the defensive end, he will be a great 2nd line player in the show, and what makes him good is if he does not work out as a top 2 line player his style game can make him a great 3rd liner, I think this guy has a low bust label on him in the sense his game will translate it is just what role will he step up to play in the future.

20. Artturi Lehkonen—F—TPS SML 5’10/150 45 14 16 30 Good skater, creative puck handler, Lehkonen is a few years off of making the NHL but he is a great project for a team who is patient, if he gets drafted by a team who rushes prospects he will be a bust, but with time this guy will be an excellent player, he has speed, creative puck handling, excellent goal scoring ability, he is exciting to watch and he is not scared to muck it up a bit, but he needs A LOT more strength to translate, he has very high skills that allow him to get by just on talent and not worry about his strength, in the offensive zone he has that rare ability to take over and create something out of nothing but his strength is the major issue right now but over time he will be a force if handled properly.
Hey scoutman do you have draft rankings for 2015, 2014 as well?

americanscout09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Shyguy

Scoutman, what are yout thoughts on Viktor Arvidsson? He went undrafted the first time around but had a good WJC and strong SEL play-offs. 3rd to 5th round perhaps?

Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:26 AM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

This looks very similar to a lot of preseason lists.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Torts

Great list, only question scoutman, Do you really think that many goalies will go in the first 2 rounds? I can see 2 of Martin, Fucale and Comrie selected in first or second but the other guys im not too sure about yet.

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:39 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Interesting read. Certainly a few head-scratchers, but you've seen them play much more than I have so I can't complain. Curious why Justin Bailey was left off though.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

De La Rose might be my favorite player in this draft. Be happy to pick him up in the 2nd and Lazar/Burakovsky in the first

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Revo

Quote:
58. Anthony Duclair—F—Quebec 5’11/159 55 20 30 50 It is a shame to see this guy play, he has soo much skill, he has the ability to bring people out of their seats, he is an amazing skater with acceleration, speed and agility, he dances on his skates and beats most people with his gears, he is an excellent puck handler, excellent on the rush and creative, his rushes are 2nd to none, he has excellent passing skills and good shooting skills but his problem is he picks his favorites to pass too on the ice and will only pass to them unless dire straights, he hogs the puck too much, he has a poor attitude on and off the ice, the older players complained about him and Erne to Roy and he is not the favorite to some of his teammates. His talents though, if he recognizes them and starts training harder to be a better player rather than just letting skills do the talking he could be a scary player, he is a real boom or bust style of player.
I appreciate your work, but I strongly disagree with that particular report.

Because of the ranking for one, but that is the case for a number of other players, and that's mostly just differences in preferences and evaluation.

But in Duclair's case, I think you are very far off. The bolded is especially doubtful in my opinion. If anything, Duclair's problem is that he passes too much and doesn't shoot enough.

As for his attitude, I don't have sources so you're likely better informed on his case than I, but if you're basing that claim solely on the near-suspension, I would certainly find that to be an excessive judgement. It was mostly seen by a number of person as a wake up call to the team as a whole.

Training never seemed to be a problem as far as metrics go.

He had a terrible stretch at one point, probably of his own making, but ever since then he has been very good and has shown progress. We're not in January anymore.

On the more «ambitious» side (as in a grey zone even for I who is saying this), I would bring up his defensive play. He certainly doesn't come up as a player with terrific play in the defensive zone. With that said, I believe that thought is in good part based on the use of «usual» evaluations. If you look at him more closely, you'll see that he often does those takeaway plays at his own blue line, and that he also finds creative ways to get the puck out of the zone. While not (ever) a proof, it is interesting to bring up that he had the best ± on the team last year (+38) and the third best this year (+23).

He needs to be better along the boards and in a number of situations, without any doubt, but really... if he's still there in the 2nd half of the 2nd round, a number of people will not have done their homeworks in my opinion.

Revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:04 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo View Post
I appreciate your work, but I strongly disagree with that particular report.

Because of the ranking for one, but that is the case for a number of other players, and that's mostly just differences in preferences and evaluation.

But in Duclair's case, I think you are very far off. The bolded is especially doubtful in my opinion. If anything, Duclair's problem is that he passes too much and doesn't shoot enough.

As for his attitude, I don't have sources so you're likely better informed on his case than I, but if you're basing that claim solely on the near-suspension, I would certainly find that to be an excessive judgement. It was mostly seen by a number of person as a wake up call to the team as a whole.

Training never seemed to be a problem as far as metrics go.

He had a terrible stretch at one point, probably of his own making, but ever since then he has been very good and has shown progress. We're not in January anymore.

On the more «ambitious» side (as in a grey zone even for I who is saying this), I would bring up his defensive play. He certainly doesn't come up as a player with terrific play in the defensive zone. With that said, I believe that thought is in good part based on the use of «usual» evaluations. If you look at him more closely, you'll see that he often does those takeaway plays at his own blue line, and that he also finds creative ways to get the puck out of the zone. While not (ever) a proof, it is interesting to bring up that he had the best ± on the team last year (+38) and the third best this year (+23).

He needs to be better along the boards and in a number of situations, without any doubt, but really... if he's still there in the 2nd half of the 2nd round, a number of people will not have done their homeworks in my opinion.
I agree with all your points. I don't know how you can doubt Duclair's work ethic off the ice when he has spent all summer last year training to get stronger and better. He gained 22 lbs in muscles in one summer!