HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Laughton to Edmonton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2013, 06:02 AM
  #226
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
In fairness, Laughton's PPG would work out to 77 points in 67 games.
Also, when you look at Richards draft year, you know who was in the top 10 scorers?
Corey Locke Jamie Johnson
Matt Foy Eric Staal
Chad Larose Matt Stajan
Joey Tenute Kris Newbury
Kyle Wellwood Brandon Nolan

This is just to show that either way, points in the OHL don't matter to much when it comes to NHL career. And as of today, Laughton is the only one of the 2 between him and Klefbom that have actually played in the NHL.

BUT, this is also why you rarely see prospect for prospect trades. Neither team wants to give up "what could be" the better player for the next 15 years.
If you want to pro-rate the post draft year to 67 games then Richards numbers would become 42 goals and 102 points so there is still a big gap.

What you have actually pointed out is that it is common for guys who put up big points in the OHL not to have those numbers translate at the NHL level. I think we would all concede that. What is far less common is for guys who did not put up points in junior to suddenly find the scoring touch as a pro. It could happen but it is fairly rare.

As I said I like Laughton, but I don't see the Richards 2.0 that others do. And this is not just based on stats but rather from having watched a lot of Richards at the same level.

As to the trade, I'd love to have Laughton in the Oilers system. But not at the cost of Klefbom, who is the teams top prospect even if you include Nurse. If Flyer fans would rather keep Laughton I have no problem with that.


Last edited by Fourier: 07-04-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:06 AM
  #227
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,225
vCash: 500
Theres a lot of overvaluing of both Laughton and Klefbom in this thread.

Brodin >> Klefbom in terms of value.

Laughton is not projected as the next M. Richards.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:17 AM
  #228
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,218
vCash: 500
Just so were all on the same page here Flyer fans. What do you guys think Laughton is worth from the Oilers?

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:56 AM
  #229
McSuper
5-14-6-1
 
McSuper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Klefbom for Laughton... helps both teams needs...
As an Oiler fan this is fair . With Nurse ,we may have to move one of our highend defence prospects to get help at centre . I would hate it to be Klefbom , but with his injuries the last couple of years maybe he shoud be the one to go . I still think we should use other means to get a centre even if we over pay . RFA over pay on a short term contract , 1 or 2 years .

McSuper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 08:00 AM
  #230
duffy9748
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Just so were all on the same page here Flyer fans. What do you guys think Laughton is worth from the Oilers?
Laughton is a former 1st rounder who has performed well in juniors and is ready for the NHL next season. I'd assume the Flyers want something similar back. Not picks/prospects who are a year or two away.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:36 AM
  #231
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Theres a lot of overvaluing of both Laughton and Klefbom in this thread.

Brodin >> Klefbom in terms of value.

Laughton is not projected as the next M. Richards.
True, Laughton skates much better.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:47 AM
  #232
Clown Baby*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
True, Laughton skates much better.
And isn't nearly as gifted a passer.

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:08 AM
  #233
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
If you want to pro-rate the post draft year to 67 games then Richards numbers would become 42 goals and 102 points so there is still a big gap.

What you have actually pointed out is that it is common for guys who put up big points in the OHL not to have those numbers translate at the NHL level. I think we would all concede that. What is far less common is for guys who did not put up points in junior to suddenly find the scoring touch as a pro. It could happen but it is fairly rare.

As I said I like Laughton, but I don't see the Richards 2.0 that others do. And this is not just based on stats but rather from having watched a lot of Richards at the same level.

As to the trade, I'd love to have Laughton in the Oilers system. But not at the cost of Klefbom, who is the teams top prospect even if you include Nurse. If Flyer fans would rather keep Laughton I have no problem with that.
I actually agree...I think Laughton will be like 2011-2012 Richards....40 point guy that helps the team win in MANY different ways. I personally think he will top out as a GREAT 3rd line C that matches against teams top lines.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.